• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pick Your Poison: Eddie Guererro or Chris Benoit

Pick Your Poison: Eddie Guererro or Chris Benoit

• I lie, I cheat, I steal- Guererro

• The Canadian Crippler- Benoit

Results are only viewable after voting.
R

RKO Orton

I know there's already a few of these out there, but I'd like to start a discussion with a new one. This topic is about Eddie Guererro and Chris Benoit. Which one, to you was your favorite of the two? Personally, I always liked Benoit more then Guererro. Guererro had a great gimmick, but it seemed that Benoit could always put on a great match no matter who he's with. He helped put over MVP and Chavo and would be considered one of the all-time greats had he not done what he did. So, who would you take, Eddie Guererro or Chris Benoit?

And please, if someone doesn't pick Benoit just because of what he did, think about the great performer that he was.

I always watched wrestling to be entertained, and although Benoit was Hands Down a batter wrestler, uerrero was FAR more entertaining than Benoit ever was. Guerrero could use both his moves and mic skills to rally up a crowd, while Benoit lacked those mic skills. So Eddie any day.

I've always thought that Guererro was the better of the two. He was far more entertaining, and almost equal to Benoit in ring skill. Combine the two, and he's much better. Also Benoit will always be tainted for me because of what he did in the last days of his life. That doesn't affect my decision that much, but it does play a part in what I think of the man.

Eddie was entertaining without a doubt, overall that guy was indeed a true pioneer of wrestling. Benoit was a lot more "i don't need a gimmick to be a household name" type wrestler. Overall Benoit had a lot of memorable matches, Eddie had a lot of memorable moments...so as hard as it is to talk positively about Chirs, Benoit was indeed the better of the two.

I'm saying this as a Guererro fan, but after his death he became more overrated than Owen Hart. I was upset when he died, just like most other wrestling fans were. It's awful to think of someone we've grown up watching is no longer here, and you want to remember Eddie fondly. And I do. I remember some of his good matches, feuds, promos. I remember how much his gimmick entertained me, and how good he was live.

However, no way is he as good as people have decided to say he is. His death has made people think he was the king of wrestling, or that he was one of the best things to happen to the WWE. Sorry, but that's complete BS. He was a good guy yeah, but to act as if so much would have been different without him is stupid. If Eddie had never entered the wrestling world, the WWE now wouldn't be different. He didn't have a huge impact in the long run, like you can say Hogan and Flair did.

Benoit on the other hand, was a great worker. He wasn't the best at ever aspect of pro wrestling, but in others he flourished. He had some great matches and feuds, and he deserves to be remembered as better than Geurerro even though it'll never happen. He had been in wrestling for a long time before his death, and he was slightly underrated if you ask me.

The problem now is, due to the circumstances around his death he'll never be given the credit he deserves. And don't get me wrong, in no way am I condoning what he did, because no one should do that, but before that, there was a great man before us. I think as much as people need to bare in mind the details of his death, they shouldn't let that change their opinion on him as a WWE Wrestler.

Wow, talk about 2 wrestlers that are overrated as fuck just because they died.

Benoit takes this one for me here. I never liked Eddie that much, in the ring, or out with entertainment. Benoit obviously was one of WWE's piss poor mic working main eventers, while Eddie had some decent promo talent but in the ring Benoit was a god, up there in the mentioning of the greatest technical wrestler of all time, along with Kurt Angle but he's still overrated because he wasn't the main eventing total package. He had the charisma of a 2x4. Not that Eddie was anything special neither, as he always seemed to bland.

Anyways, I'll take the one that overall entertained me more, and that's Benoit. I never really appealed to Eddie.

I can think of more long lasting, entertaining rivalries involving Benoit then Guerrero, plus you really believed that Benoit was setting out to hurt his oponents and sold his injuries far better so.... Loved Guerrero, but Benoit was better.

his murder/suicide doesn't take away from his wrestling legacy to me, just like Mike Awesome's suicide doesn't take away from his (backstabbing ECW did that)

However, no way is he as good as people have decided to say he is. His death has made people think he was the king of wrestling, or that he was one of the best things to happen to the WWE. Sorry, but that's complete BS. He was a good guy yeah, but to act as if so much would have been different without him is stupid. If Eddie had never entered the wrestling world, the WWE now wouldn't be different. He didn't have a huge impact in the long run, like you can say Hogan and Flair did.

I just made a impact on your mamma bitch :icon_smile:
Eddie Guerro is hands down better Guerro is just as good as benoit in the ring
and he was 10 x better when it comes to entertaining

Guerrero I always thought had everything. Mic skills, charisma, he could selll with the best of them, and had pretty good wrestling skills. His match in ECW with Deam Malinko was bad ass! Chris Beniot was a great mat wrestler, but I would choose a "total package" over a "one trick pony"

I just made a impact on your mamma bitch :icon_smile:

Who are you, and what in the world does that mean?

Eddie Guerro is hands down better Guerro is just as good as benoit in the ring
and he was 10 x better when it comes to entertaining

In the ring, meaning technical wrestling? Beacuse if so that's a stupid claim. Benoit is one of the best technical wrestlers the WWE had the sense to hire. Eddie was good, as my post said, but Benoit was a hell of a lot better when it comes to the technical side of things. In entertainment sides, both were entertaining, however you can't say one os better than the other when it comes down to 'Who was more entertaining', because what you find entertaining someone else may not.

Oh, and next time you're going to Quote me, use Quote tags to make it understandable please :)

I'm saying this as a Guererro fan, but after his death he became more overrated than Owen Hart. I was upset when he died, just like most other wrestling fans were. It's awful to think of someone we've grown up watching is no longer here, and you want to remember Eddie fondly. And I do. I remember some of his good matches, feuds, promos. I remember how much his gimmick entertained me, and how good he was live.

Benoit on the other hand, was a great worker. He wasn't the best at ever aspect of pro wrestling, but in others he flourished. He had some great matches and feuds, and he deserves to be remembered as better than Geurerro even though it'll never happen. He had been in wrestling for a long time before his death, and he was slightly underrated if you ask me.

The problem now is, due to the circumstances around his death he'll never be given the credit he deserves. And don't get me wrong, in no way am I condoning what he did, because no one should do that, but before that, there was a great man before us. I think as much as people need to bare in mind the details of his death, they shouldn't let that change their opinion on him as a WWE Wrestler.

Everything you said against Eddie in that post can also be applied to Benoit. While Benoit was a great technical wrestler, he also didn't change the business. Without Benoit the business would still be the same. In fact, it would probably be easier to argue that Benoit did more harm for wrestling than good. He put on great matches from time to time, but he can never be called revolutionary.

Eddie on the other hand, I found highly entertaining as a heel and face/tweener. The guy is one of the most charismatice superstars of all time and could draw heat instantly. Someone even brought up how he was buried in WCW because he was the lone non-NWO heel who got massive heat. Eddie was a far better entertainer than Benoit. Benoit was simply more technical.

Everything you said against Eddie in that post can also be applied to Benoit. While Benoit was a great technical wrestler, he also didn't change the business. Without Benoit the business would still be the same. In fact, it would probably be easier to argue that Benoit did more harm for wrestling than good. He put on great matches from time to time, but he can never be called revolutionary.

I agree. I wasn't meaning to use it directly at Eddie, and only at Eddie. Benoit also didn't change the business much. But I was refering to who was more overrated, and with Benoit basically hated by most, its safe to say he isn't overrated. And in the end, I chose the person who entertained me more, that being Benoit, not Eddie.

I actually think Eddie was always underrated. I can't think of any "bad" matches he had. He had several that didn't live up to expectations (his matches with Rey in 05, for example), but it's unfair to criticize a worker for not exceeding a five star match each time. Benoit was certainly as good as Eddie, but was awful with his promos. Eddie cut fantastic promos. Benoit had a great deal more opportunity than Eddie did, as well. Eddie was never booked in big matches until 04, and he delivered. I have to give the win to Eddie simply because we're even having the discussion after such a disparity with the opportunities given.

Wow! Could I pick both of these guys? In terms of wrestling ability I have to go with Benoit but in terms of being the better entertainer, it's Guerrero. I loved both of these guys to death and it's hard to decide which one was better than the other. RIP Both.

I agree. I wasn't meaning to use it directly at Eddie, and only at Eddie. Benoit also didn't change the business much. But I was refering to who was more overrated, and with Benoit basically hated by most, its safe to say he isn't overrated. And in the end, I chose the person who entertained me more, that being Benoit, not Eddie.

It is rather BS that Benoit's talents will be forgotten while his sad last few days will live on forever. I'm not calling him overrated, especially since he no gets little love from anyone, but he was nothing much outside of a technical wrestler. He was just a damn fine one. Eddie will always be remembered as a great entertainer which is the point of the wrestling at the end of the day.

Wow! Could I pick both of these guys? In terms of wrestling ability I have to go with Benoit but in terms of being the better entertainer, it's Guerrero. I loved both of these guys to death and it's hard to decide which one was better than the other. RIP Both.

There you go with this "wrestling ability" stuff again. This isn't the olympics, its entertainment. You just said Eddie was more entertaining. So was he more entertaining but you didn't always want to be entertained?

Eddie Guerrero and over rated, the words go together so nicely. I honestly never understood the appeal of the guy. I'm in the vast minority of a smark that never liked Eddie Guerrero. I just can't stand the guy, sure he was good in the ring, but talk about over rated in the departments of charisma and mic work.

The guys promos were atrocious. I found myself zoning out or turning the channel when he was on. The entire Spanglish thing doesn't sit too well with me. Pick a language, and cut a promo in one or the other, quit switching back and forth. The guys charisma consisted of gyrating his hips, whoopy doo.

Now Benoit, not exactly mr. Charisma, but never needed to be. His intensity was his character. People bought in whole heartedly to Chris Benoit in the ring. Sure, Benoit was 5'10" standing on a phone book, but that didn't stop people from believing he was a legit threat to make someone like Kane or the Undertaker tap out. The Intensity of the Benoit character made up for his lack of mic skills. Which I really don't see have a problem with his mic skills. He wasn't a comedy guy, so he doesn't try to come up with humorous things. To sum up Benoit on the mic, I'm going to kick your ass, nice plain and simple for me.

If you try hard enough you can make any superstar seem overrated as you just did to Eddie. All Hogan ever did was life weights, carry the flag, rip his shirt off, and make fans scream. The fact is, most fans cared about Guererro. His heel character got massive heat, maybe not from you, but from most. Sure, the WWE used the feel good drug addict turned Champion story, but it worked because the fans loved Eddie's character. These two are so hard to compare because they are so different. Its all a matter of taste.

Easy answer Benoit. Eddie Guerrero is Extemely Overated. People think Eddie is the greatest just because of his death. He was good not great he wasn't on the same level as Benoit Extremely Underated due to the way he died dont judge the person Benoit was but the wrestler he was. Yes he lacked in mic skills but he made that up by being one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. I'm tired of people judging a person they didn't know still it wasn't right what he did but then again who are you to judge a person you never knew.

P.S. I accidently picked Eddie in the poll

When it comes to pro wrestling, I am easily entertained on the wrestling end of it. It doesn't matter if the character is charismatic or not. If you can put on a good match, then you got my attention. If you can do it on a constant basis, then I am a fan of yours. So with that, I choose Benoit over Eddie. Ther is no doubt that Benoit was one of the best technical wrestlers in the game.

This is such a difficult one to chose. Both were tremendous in the ring and both had entertaining gimmicks. Benoit may have not been great on the mic, but who didn't buy into Benoit being a wrecking machine. And Guerrero, whether heel or face, made you laugh, cry, mad, ect. If I have to choose, I am going to go with Chris Benoit, only because I was a fan of Benoit's a lot longer.

I know my decision is based on my bias, but that's about the only way I can chose.

I had to go with Benoit. While I do miss Guerrero, I never really thought he was in Benoit's league, which I'm in the minority in. Eddie was more entertaining to me as a performer as opposed to a wrestler. Benoit as a wrestler was one of the few ever that I'd go out of my way to watch. Some of the counter moves he had still make me shake my head. The ways he could get someone in the crossface was simply amazing. I love the Frog splash, but between his natural abilities and the crossface, I just can't say no to Benoit.

This is a very close call for me. Truthfully, I like both men best when they were wrestling each other. The matches they had together were some of each man's finest work. With that being said, I think Benoit edges out Guerrero.
I think Benoit had a slight edge in the ring- he is one of the best technical wrestlers to ever step in the ring. But for me, there was always something about Benoit's character that drew me in. Alot of people say that he had no personality, but I find that to be completely untrue. I loved the hardass, no nonsense, all business gimmick that he used. His determination and intensity was in your face without him having to say anything. He wasn't polished on the mic because he didn't have to be. His glare, facial expressions and in ring work spoke volumes and added such a great dimension to his character.

oh most def benoit..as JR would say he had that "smash mouth in your mouth" style which i enjoyed very much..don't get me wrong i do like eddie but for me benoit was the better of the two

Although Eddy was quite a bit better on the mic, and almost as good in the ring, I have to choose Benoit. His intensity and near flawless ring skills put him over, imo.

I went with Chris Benoit, I always preferred him to Eddie Guerrero. Benoit's weakness was his lack of charisma, but his matches were enough to win over the fans, so he really didn't need charisma at all. Eddie's weakness is probably the fact that he wasn't taken seriously because of his hilarious gimmicks, a lot of people thought he was going to always be a midcarder/tag team contender, but he did eventually win the WWE Championship. In the ring both men were excellent, but Eddie started to slow down when he came to the WWE whereas Benoit practically kept the same style he always had, so ultimately Benoit ended up with more memorable matches during their years in the WWE. In the end it comes down to Charisma vs Intensity, neither man was "better" than one another, but overall I enjoyed Benoit's work over Guerrero's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back