Personal Favorite Feud/Storyline?

the first 3 fueds that pop into my head is

Vince McMahon vs Stone Cold

the two of them hated each other and had so many memborable moments. One of my favorites is when Vince McMahon was in the hospital and Austin was disguised as a doctor and started beating up Vince when he was in a hospital bed.

Stone Cold vs The Rock

these two seemed to start out with a more repected fued that eventually got real heated. For a while these were the two main guys. They had one of the best build up to there Wrestlemania 17 match with one of the most shocking endings ever. I know everyones jaws dropped to the floor when Austin shaked Vince McMahon's hand

Dean Malenko vs Chris Jericho

when WCW was around I favored WWE a lot more I would watch a little WCW and Jericho is one of the main guys that i liked in WCW. They also had a real heated fued and would always have great matches

if i could pick a a more recent fued I would pick orton and HHH going into wrestlemania 25. between Orton took out Vince took out Shane and he RKO Stephanie and then he DDT her right infront of a handcuffed HHH and kissed her on the lips when she was knocked out. Then I thought it was so great when HHH busted in Orton's house and beet him up. I was just dissapointed with the overall finish though. The match they had wasn't that great or even super long. I was rooting for Orton to win that match too.

Ric Flair and The Great American Bash 1986 - In 1985 the GAB was a one night supershow, like WrestleMania & Starrcade. In 86 the NWA decided to make it into a month long summer tour, consuming all of July, spotlighting different grudge matches. There would be a handfull of slightly bigger shows within the tour, but no one all encompassing Super Show (a format they repeated with fair success in 87).

The dictate from the NWA was that Flair would not only have to defend the title at every single show, he'd have to wrestle different opponents every night, they billed as Flair vs The NWA, although in reality he faced 13 different wrestlers, each one getting multiple matches against him during the tour. Ricky Morton got the most since his feud with Flair and the Rock & Rol Express vs The Horsemen feuds were active heading into the tour but Flair also faced both of The Road Warriors, Magnum TA, Dusty Rhodes, Ron Garvin, Robert Gibson, and a had a couple of heel vs heel matches vs hated Russian Nikita Kolloff (Flair was a fan favorite when they headlined the first GAB in 1985).

Each week on TBS Flair would come out, bragging about who he had defeated during the last 7 days, insisting NWA head Jim Crockett would have to come out "and kiss my ass" when the tour was over after he had retained the title through all these defenses. For three weeks we Flair every Saturday telling the world who he beat up last week, who he was scheduled to beat up this week, bragging about the ease with which he was completing what was billed as "The Most Grueling String Of Title Defenses Ever", and of course insisting that Crockett and "the wrestling world" would have to appear on the program after the tour to pay him hommage. The Promos were priceless, vintage heel Flair at his most entertaining and detestable, and the story kept you interested because while you couldnt believe that a heel like Flair could complete this cycle of title defenses without a loss you also couldnt see anyone legit enough to beat him, especially with Magnum & Nikita in their own blod feud over the US Title, basically only taking matches with Flair as a breather from beating on each other.

Of course, with Dusty Rhodes as booker, you knew he'd squeak in here somewhere and he did. Dusty had already had multiple shots at Flair early in the tour and of course Flair won, so Flair was confidant he would beat Dusty in Rhodes' last shot, the next to last night of the tour, even though this one was in a steel cage so there'd be no Horsemen interference and easy escapes for Flair. Again, more great promos, and again you waited because if Flair survived the cage matche with Dusty he basically was in, although I dont remember what was planned for him on the tour's final show a few nights later.

As many of you know, this was Dusty's last Title win, a bloody, grueling cage match, one of the best between these two, with Rhodes rallying late with a surprise pin to capture the gold. In retrospect, knowing what I know now RE: Dusty as a booker, etc, you could see this coming, still when everything falls into place perfectly even if you can see the end, the whole is still great, as Taker-HBK in recent years proved. Certainly no one thought HBK was really ending The Streak did they ?

As a kid, I couldnt wait to see Flair's reaction, after all those weeks of incessant bragging, all those victories, big matches, etc and with one show left Dusty, his most bitter polar opposite arch nemesis takes the gold and ruins the perfect streak. Ironicaly, Flair's interview right after the loss was a total surprise but fitting with his character's obsession with the championship and assertion that beingthe champ makes you best. Flair talked briefly about the previous victories, noted that Dusty beat him fair and square, that he deserved to be champ, and that since he "beat the man" he was "now the man!", then quietly promised he would be back. Having watched the escalating craziness of his promos for three weeks as he got closer to the finish line, this was almost surreal, it probably made me anticipate the re-match even more than if Flair had ranted and raved and acted like a nut case which was what I totally expected him to do.

Essentially this was the end of the story. They had their re-match on the final Bash show and Dusty scored a cheap win when Flair's foot was on the ropes. A melee ensued when Rhodes foolishly attacked J DIllion & Tully Blanchard who came down to protest the bad call, the ref never reveresed the decission after all hell broke lose but Dusty's knee was injured in the post match brawl. After the tour Flair got another match and Dusty was pinned in the middle of the ring in the figure four after wrestling valliantly, then shortly afterwards Flair added insult to injury by stealing his girlfriend away. For me that stuff post tour was inconsequential, for four weeks I couldnt wait to get to me TV every Sat Morning and see if Flair had survived, and I couldnt wait till Sat night to see him on TBS to hear who would be facing him this week, and when he finally lost, literally at the finish line, in dramatic fashion, to his most despised enemy, I absolutley couldnt wait to not only for the rematch but for the post-loss interview. I cant remember a time back in the 80's that one story kept me that intensely interested from start to finish.

Just like with many things I cannot just pick one favorite and some may not qualify as 'old school' but here we go.

HHH vs HBK - this feud was emotionally charged and so well done that I actually believed for a time that these two men hated each other. I am very bad with dates and things like that but I remember HBK attacking HHH in a sky box or something and breaking thru the glass near the nosebleed seats. Very exciting to watch.

Matt Hardy vs Edge - Looking at this from a fans standpoint it was highly entertaining, they had some great matches and the culmination in the steel cage was phenomenal. Looking at it as a person who knows the history of these two men I have to say I am truly impressed to this day that considering the history, the emotion both men must have felt and just the whole situation, that they were able to maintain a professional attitude, conduct themselves appropriately and have damn good matches. IMO it could have easily gotten out of control.

I will agree with a another poster who said Curt Hennig vs Nick Bockwinkel, it was already said and I really have nothing to add, it put Curt on the map.

My all time favorite is Sting vs the nWo, but I'll shy away from that one right now and go through a few lesser ones:

WCW 1998, Chris Jericho vs Luchadores: I listed it this way because it wasn't really Jericho vs Malenko or Jericho vs Rey or Jericho vs Juvi that I loved, it was Jericho vs all of them that was awesome. Jericho claiming trophies from each luchadore he was beating (LOL Prince Iaukea's skirt!) was great television. The big part of the feud was obviously Malenko which had memorable moments that don't need to be rehashed, but the match with Juvi where Juvi finally took the belt was also great stuff. Jericho going to Washington to protest losing his title was great also. This whole angle was so perfectly done.

WCW 1998, Saturn vs Raven: Another well written long feud in WCW. Saturn leaves the Flock and tries to set them free from Raven's control. Raven and the Flock beat on Saturn constantly. Kidman gets beat up by the Flock when he loses a match as a form of "tough love." It all leads to an awesome match at War Games 98 where Saturn takes on Raven for the fate of The Flock. The match had one of my favorite spots ever where Saturn hits the DVD on Lodi off the ring apron. Kidman turns on Raven to help Saturn win and the Flock is free! Kidman goes on to be a big part of WCW. It was very well done.

WCW 1997-98, DDP vs the nWo: It all begins with Hall and Nash trying to get their old pal DDP to join the nWo. DDP was a mediocre heel at the time who not many people saw as a guy who could rise up the card very far. Hall and Nash finally make DDP decide whether or not he will join. He puts on the nWo shirt and while the Pac celebrates he turns on them and takes both out! DDP instantly becomes WCW's 4th or 5th most over babyface and catapults from this into a feud with Randy Savage that would dovetail into a feud with Hogan that would lead to the Rodman/Malone match, etc. All because of that one night where he turned on Hall and Nash. By the end of 98, DDP was easily the 3rd biggest face in WCW behind Sting and Goldberg and was a legend. The run features pop after pop for him. He was literally a crowd popping machine and was the true People's Champion.

My favorite was the old school rivalry between Hulk Hogan and Paul Orndorff. As a little kid, I watched wrestling on Fridays and Saturdays and even watched the Hulk Hogan Rock N Wrestling cartoon. Nothing was more compelling to me at the time as these two. I even remember one match where Mr Wonderful played the same entrance music as Hulk and that got things really heated. I have only seen a few matches from my youth on Youtube and in the Hulk Hogan Anthology, but these always stick in my mind. Hulk versus Mr Wonderful made my childhood wrestling dreams come true. :) I even had an old Commodore 64 game called Microleague Wrestling where you could wrestle as these two. You picked your moves from a menu and were shown the results in a rudimentary "video." It was cool at the time, at least.

Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat. 1977

To me this is is the feud that put feuding on the map for professional wrestling. In the 70's pro wrestling was still presented as a "real sport." There were no back stage soap operas. A controversial match would something as simple as the ref missing Super Star Billy Grahm using the ropes for leverage when he pinned Bruno Sammartino. A heated feud might mean a few extra punches being thrown after a match was over and is quickly broken up by a mob of officials much like you would expect in any professional sport.

So in 1977 a young and arrogant Ric Flair the "ladies man" of wresting starts to get competition when a better looking Ricky Steamboat enters the territory and starts to get attention from the female fans. Steamboat is the classic humble good guy that everyone likes. During an interview Flair attacks Ricky from behind and rubs Ricky's face in concrete to ruin his good looks. Backstage they slice Ricky's face up with folded sandpaper and pour iodine on it to make it look real. A few weeks later on TV Ricky gets revenge by attacking Flair and tearing off one of his expensive suits. At the time this kind of thing had not been seen on TV and right off the bat Flair and Steamboat are packing houses all over the east coast. Fan in local territories are now getting promos for steel cage matches with the steel fence rolled out in front of the camera during the interview. So here I am 7 years old at the time watching Ricky Steamboat grabbing on to a chain link fence describing what he's going to do to Ric Flair at Hampton Coliseum this weekend and believe me..I wanted to be there.

Steamboat and Flair would feud again 84 for the NWA belt and again in 1989 in the classic three match serious. By the time they met in 89 they had wrestled each other over a thousand times in house shows and the chemistry in the ring IMO was the best of all time. From the beginning of the feud from 77 until 89 the crowds were lit up from the very beginning of the match until the final bell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back