People Hating On Marc Anthony For Singing "God Bless America"

Is Mexico in Europe then? America does have more than just the U.S.

It is universally accepted that the word "America" refers to the United States of America. As you well know, Mexico is in North America.

Be reasonable here. Everyone and their mother knows the song was written with complete and total reference exclusively to the United States of America.

It is universally accepted that the word "America" refers to the United States of America. As you well know, Mexico is in North America.

Be reasonable here. Everyone and their mother knows the song was written with complete and total reference exclusively to the United States of America.

Yeah, an American soldier wrote the song, if I remember grade school correctly.

EDIT: I have nothing relevant to offer on the actual topic.

I'm aware of that. The ridiculous is uncanny though. Its as if we'd go on a rage storm after Lillian Garcia sang it at Wrestlemania.

I'm not disrespecting your basic point, by the way. You're completely right that anyone having a problem with Mark Anthony, a natural born citizen of the US, singing "God Bless America" is an ignorant racist. But don't make claims greater than the basic premise. He's of Puerto Rican descent and was born in NYC. He's not a Mexican national.

Yeah, an American soldier wrote the song, if I remember grade school correctly.

EDIT: I have nothing relevant to offer on the actual topic.
According to some dude named Tony Hernandez, some jewish dude from Belarus (small place next to Russia) wrote it.

I'm not disrespecting your basic point, by the way. You're completely right that anyone having a problem with Mark Anthony, a natural born citizen of the US, singing "God Bless America" is an ignorant racist. But don't make claims greater than the basic premise. He's of Puerto Rican descent and was born in NYC. He's not a Mexican national.
It was one of the comments written. He's apparently a "dirty mexican". I blew the handle when I read it. Then again, I blew the handle a few weeks ago when someone said I'm from the same country as Pitbull. Who's Cuban, born in Miami, and I fucking hate his music.

It was one of the comments written. He's apparently a "dirty mexican". I blew the handle when I read it. Then again, I blew the handle a few weeks ago when someone said I'm from the same country as Pitbull. Who's Cuban, born in Miami, and I fucking hate his music.

Well, yeah, they're just wrong. There are loads of ignorant racists in the world. You can't get too upset about them, but I understand the source of your anger.

As Harthan correctly states, anyone having a problem with Marc Anthony singing God Bless America is an ignorant racist. But it's hardly shocking that ignorant racism still runs rampant in your country. That's unfortunate but it's true. I can remember when Obama was running for re-election and I was speaking to some people I know in Florida who had no problem telling me they weren't going to vote for that goddamn ni***r. It's sad but while things are getting better, racism is still far more prevalent than it should be or more so than most of us would like.

I don't know why racism surprises anyone nowadays. It's wrong, hateful, stupid and all that stuff, but at the very least should be expected. Not tolerated, but expected.

You have to avoid the comment section of nearly every article nowadays. There's ignorant people everywhere and -- while it's screwed up -- you can't allow yourself to get worked up over it. They're wrong. :shrug:

Guys, y'all are a great, fun bunch and being an outsider myself, I don't want to offend anybody...
...but don't you guys think some of you get carried away with this nationalistic bullshit sometimes? I mean, this the umpteenth time this sort of thing happens and people are STILL up in arms about it?

Then again, if you're browsing articles on the internet, there are people who are just straight-up trolling to elicit such reactions. Usually you can detect the real hatred from those who have terrible spelling & grammar but still, it's completely ridiculous. You either have too much political-correctness running rampant on everything or ignorant people preaching messages of hate.

It's like nobody knows what middle ground is.

I'd have defended Marc Anthony if his stupid ass knew that God Bless America and the National Anthem are not the same song:

Marc Anthony* said:
You know, something happened that I really wanted to mention, and I wanted to clarify... you know, me singing the national anthem, there were some statements made that people were upset that they would have somebody from another country sing the national anthem... But to set the record straight, I was born and raised in New York, you can't get more New York than me.

You can't fight ignorance with ignorance.

*source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/marc-anthony-god-bless-america_n_3618420.html

I was pissed at Marc Anthony singing God Bless America too.

Not because of his heritage, but because he sucks and it was a sub-par rendition of the song.

I'd have defended Marc Anthony if his stupid ass knew that God Bless America and the National Anthem are not the same song:

You can't fight ignorance with ignorance.

*source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/marc-anthony-god-bless-america_n_3618420.html

In the non spam section discussion of this topic I referred to God Bless America as a national anthem anthem. He on the other hand has now said its the national anthem. That's frustrating.

And for my two cents I wouldn't want a non-American singing our national anthem. And I said if it was someone like Psy doing our national anthem I said everyone would freak over it. Marc Anthony is American so I have no problem with him doing It though.

To some of you I got a question.

Why does it matter if a non American sings God Bless America? I know Marc Anthony is American but if lets say The Who sang God Bless America why does it matter?

In the non spam section discussion of this topic I referred to God Bless America as a national anthem anthem. He on the other hand has now said its the national anthem. That's frustrating.

The Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem of the United States of America. For any American to be unaware of that is pathetic. However, I was being a tad hyperbolic in counting his ignorance as equal to that of those who were insulting him. The people who mislabeled and threw slurs at Anthony are lousy human beings, and I hope they get crabs.

To some of you I got a question.

Why does it matter if a non American sings God Bless America? I know Marc Anthony is American but if lets say The Who sang God Bless America why does it matter?

It could be argued that it really doesn't, however God Bless America and America the Beautiful are often performed in lieu of the National Anthem at public events, and because of that, they are held in similar esteem. That being the case, many people might find the idea of a non-citizen singing them to be disrespectful.

Fair enough. I don't see it as disrespectful, I don't understand why it would be but I see what you are saying.

I wouldn't find it disrespectful I'd just find it really odd. At smaller events I don't care, but if at the Superbowl per se we had somebody singing it who was from Britain and had the accent I think it wouldn't be well recieved.

Only exception of the rule for me is in the NHL when it's mandatory that both teams national anthems are sung and it just so happens to be by the same person. I see that as respectful that they are considering countries equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back