Twitter Loses It's God-Damn Mind

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
At this years MLB All-Star Game, New York-born Puerto Rican million dollar salsa singer, actor and mainstream overall star Marc Anthony was chosen to sing "God Bless America" in Queens, New York. His hometown. Twitter would then be bombarded with racial comments ranging from "dirty mexican" to "why isn't God Bless America being sung by an American?".

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adriancarra...ts-damn-mind-after-marc-anthony-sings-god-ble

You know, I could've sworn we lived in an age where we could at least get our geography straight. Because last I checked both Mexico and PR happen to be in America. I also thought this country was against racism. You know given the amazing backlash the Zimmerman case produced this very same week. Then comes the end of the week and good ol' "we hate racists" America shoots itself on the foot. I hate a lot of people in PR. The country has become a shit hole, but I still lived the first 21 years of my pissant life there and I'm fucking proud of my "I can't afford shit" youth. And if I could stare any of the idiots who twat this shit (nope, not "tweeted"), I'd punch them square in their stupid, brainless face. For sheer, unbridled ignorance.

How was this accomplished in a country built on immigration, in a town renowned for it's immensely diverse cultural background? I don't recall people on the IWC taking a dump on Lillian Garcia when she sang the national anthem at Wrestlemania. Did you?

I think the racist comments at absolutely stupid. There's no need for them and quite frankly the dumb comments are one of the reasons why I disliked twitter.

However, I think you're being a bit biased here. Sure Puerto Rico is annexed by the United States however many Americans would not include Puerto Rico as being American. Most people watching the All Star baseball game were from the United States, and people from the United States call themselves American. Someone from Puerto Rico don't go around saying they are American they say their Puerto Rican. As for Mexico that's its own individual country and they say Mexican instead of American.

This brings me to my point, I think you're confusing "American" with North American. North American is not the equivalent of American. That's the truth. You want proof American economics refers to the economic plan of the United States of America. Th North American free trade agreement refers to the entire continent.

Now sure Marc Anthony is Amercian he was born in New York and has Puerto Rican descent. The comments on twitter are absurd in that they basically say anyone without American heritage cannot sing God Bless America, however I'll be honest if for example Psy came down to sing God Bless America (hypothetically) I'd be pissed. It's an American song. I think what people need to realize is Marc Anthony is legally American, as in born in the U.S.A however someone actual non American singing it an American tradition event just seems odd and I could see where it causes problems.

Racial ignorance is something that has improved but hasn't completely gone away. I'm just saying if a country (or the world for that matter) is largely racist for hundreds and thousands of years its gonna take a long time to get past that completely.

My great grandfather was from Germany and was taught Jewish people are the most vile people on the face of the earth and he believed that. My dad doesn't believe that but he will still say some anti-Semitic stuff from time to time because of all the stuff he heard as a kid, hell even myself isn't against telling a racist joke from time to time although I believe none of it.

Now if you're from a similar family but dialed up several notches racism will still exist because those racist assholes really believe that these people are underneath them, or they think like my great grandfather thought, or you're in some sort of racist environment not attached to your family. 200 years ago probably 90% of the world was racist, that's not that long ago when you think about it. I would say its amazing the numbers have dropped as much as they have, you can't break that thinking over night. It's a lot harder to teach someone who has learned the wrong way then to teach a person who hasn't learned at all.

Now onto the specific topic its very sad that people will bash someone like Marc Anthony and making a bunch of assumptions without taking 5 seconds to check Wikipedia. Marc Anthony is as much of an American as any other person. Outside of Native's we are all immigrants in some way. America was built on immigration, its just sad that so many people still don't realize that.

The worst part of all of this though is who cares where Marc Anthony is from? Even if he was from Puerto Rico, or Mexico, or Spain, or any other Spanish speaking place why does it matter if he is singing God Bless America? What's wrong with a immigrant living in America, who works hard in America, loves America and treats the country and its people with respect singing God Bless America? I would consider a lot of immigrants more American than some of the people who were actually born there.

I gotta say that asides from the racist asides, it is hypocritical to the extreme for anyone outside of a Native American to take offense to anyone who is American either by birth or immigration.

Having said that, prejudice is something I have more than a passing knowledge coming as I do from the country with the stupidest bias in the history of man. In Northern Ireland, sections of Protestants of all denominations and Roman Catholics have been at "war" :lmao: despite the fact that there is as great a theological divide among the Protestant denominations as they have with the Roman Catholic Church. Now, many of the sectarian idiots here will tell you it's about history and tradition... yup, and if the US still got on that way - Yankee and Confederate would still stay their own sides of the Mason Dixon and no Englishman would be seen near America around July time!

There is a saying that a person is smart but people are stupid and (to a degree), I agree with that. In a day and age were knowledge can be easily attained there really should be no reason for any bias in this World - understanding and tolerance should be Global... and yet ignorance, idiocy and a general lack of common sense still leaves this planet a scarily volatile place at every level from neighborhood to World Powers:disappointed:!

I think the racist comments at absolutely stupid. There's no need for them and quite frankly the dumb comments are one of the reasons why I disliked twitter.

However, I think you're being a bit biased here. Sure Puerto Rico is annexed by the United States however many Americans would not include Puerto Rico as being American. Most people watching the All Star baseball game were from the United States, and people from the United States call themselves American. Someone from Puerto Rico don't go around saying they are American they say their Puerto Rican. As for Mexico that's its own individual country and they say Mexican instead of American.
Our citizenship is, by law, "American". For all intents and purposes "Puertorican" is nothing more than an unofficial term. It holds as much meaning as being a "New Yorker" or a "Californian". It would be almost the same if a Hawaiian sang and people cried foul.

Now sure Marc Anthony is Amercian he was born in New York and has Puerto Rican descent. The comments on twitter are absurd in that they basically say anyone without American heritage cannot sing God Bless America, however I'll be honest if for example Psy came down to sing God Bless America (hypothetically) I'd be pissed. It's an American song. I think what people need to realize is Marc Anthony is legally American, as in born in the U.S.A however someone actual non American singing it an American tradition event just seems odd and I could see where it causes problems.
Lillian Garcia, born and raised is Spain and of Puertorican descent, sang America The Beautiful at Wrestlemania 2000 and Wrestlemania 21. Does that make you mad? Didn't make the people in attendance mad.

Maybe it's me being biased because I just saw a hero of mine lambasted for signing the anthem in his own home town. But at the end of the day, it's insane to think a good performer gets this heat just because he's "not from the same country". It's happened before. Why is it wrong now?

Lillian Garcia, born and raised is Spain and of Puertorican descent, sang America The Beautiful at Wrestlemania 2000 and Wrestlemania 21. Does that make you mad? Didn't make the people in attendance mad.[/CODE]

I see where you're coming from that no matter what the ethnicity and heritage people shouldn't lambast those for singing patriotic songs however like I said I wouldn't like it if a non American sang a patriotic song. Your point about Lilian Garcia isn't totally accurate either. She spent the first 8 years of her life in Spain one because her father worked for an American embassy in Spain. She lived on an American military base learning American culture and at Wrestlemania 20 she was American so no that didn't anger me and nor did Marc Anthony cause he is Anerican undeniably.

Maybe it's me being biased because I just saw a hero of mine lambasted for signing the anthem in his own home town. But at the end of the day, it's insane to think a good performer gets this heat just because he's a "spic". It's happened before. Why is it wrong now?

Like I've said I support you on this and the only thing I disagreed on was the definition of America and whether somebody non American should be singing a patriotic tune. Marc Anthony and Lilian Garcia were both American. However to answer your question nobody should lambast a performer due to ethnicity. Can people complain about someone not American singing a national anthem or patriotic tune? I'd reply yes however in the two above cases if anyone did complain they are wrong because the two cases are Americans.

Is it a requirement on the citizenship test in America to know the anthem? If it is then I find it extremely hypocritical that anyone would find it offensive that an American citizen who's come in from another country is singing the song, as they're officially American (obviously different scenario here but the idea holds true)

On topic, it shouldn't matter who's singing the song if they know the words and sound alright singing it, and quite frankly it speaks a lot about the general public that they were against this - it's not just the people complaining about this though, it's people in general. That "a person is smart but people are stupid" saying is absolutely correct, look at any social media site, go on public transport, walk 6 blocks in a city. If you do those you'll find the sad truth - people suck, they're idiots. The general average of human non-stupidity is WELL below par, and until that changes dramatically unfortunately you'll see more and more stupid crap like this on sites like twitter and Facebook. Just accept that you're beyond them in every way and ignore.

We, as Americans, live in a nation where people like to pretend that racial ignorance and intolerance is a thing of the past, for the most part. After all, we elected our first black President 5 years ago, and just gave him a second term! How could we possibly be ignorant, as a country? :rolleyes:

In going through the Twitter posts aimed at Marc Anthony, the first few didn't bother me, to be honest. They were simply the comments of the uneducated, those who didn't realize, obviously, what heritage is, and have a basic understanding of geography. The "Why isn't God Bless America being sung by an American" ones.

No, it wasn't until we hit the more denegrating ones, such as those who called him a dirty spic, that it bothered me. Because not only are those people ignorant, they're also intolerant. Never mind the fact that Anthony was born and raised here, it's the fact that he looks like he wasn't born and raised here. That's all there is to it, for some people. He's not one of ours, so he's both beneath us and unworthy of singing our song.

I went to high school with a friend who turned out to be incredibly racist. Generally, however, it only came out when he was drunk. On the night I finished my Master's degree 7 years ago, he, myself, and an army buddy went downtown to Pittsburgh to party, and did a shot or had a drink in every bar without a cover charge. After 9 or 10 bars, all of us were shading the line from smashed to hammered, and we walked into a bar where we wound up being the only 3 Caucasian men in the entire bar. The rest of the bar was filled with people of African American descent. Upon getting our beers, my friend the racist, looked around and said quite loudly:

Let's get the f*** out of the n***** bar as soon as we finish our drinks.

Needless to say, we didn't even finish our drinks, and headed out of the bar right away. Whether it be racial, gender or nationality, intolerance is always going to exist. It just so happened that in the case of Marc Anthony, it was from people who didn't understand his nationality, and were ignorant.

I see where you're coming from that no matter what the ethnicity and heritage people shouldn't lambast those for singing patriotic songs however like I said I wouldn't like it if a non American sang a patriotic song.

I'm not sure I understand this logic, Macios. You're from Canada, no, and a hockey fan, eh? Does it bother you when an American sings the Canadian National Anthem, or when a Canadian sings the American National Anthem? It's a song, one that symbolizes patriotism, but if it's bothersome that a "Non-American" sings a patriotic song, it should be bothersome every time a team from Canada hosts a team from the U.S.A.

This was just so obviously stupid and anyone who willingly participated in these comments should know I think that they're dumb as hell for doing this.

I mean, why, just why? I know we in America say we've gotten over stuff like this but every time we say it we have our fingers crossed behind our backs in secret, and let's face it some people don't care some people just say it out loud.

It's like the Latino kid (sorry forget his name and his exact ethnicity at the moment) who sung at the basketball game a while back. I mean it was a kid in that situation and kids get a free pass most of the time right? WRONG! At least according to the people who fell they can say stuff like this.

I know a lot of people don't like what they think of as "political correctness" and that's fine I don't think we need to always tone ourselves down either, but there's a huge different between me stating my opinions and those who are just spewing nasty comments out over the net.

I makes me think of the Romani people to be honest. (the one's called Gypsies for those who don't know, and I mean the real ones not the TV ones) The original "lesser" for lack of a better term. Look up their history sometimes people they have been getting this crap forever and still do, but until more recent years no one cared.

I heard an interview with Marc after the incident and he seemed to just brush it off his shoulders. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, "its a level of ignorance that you just have to get used to". If you look at the Zimmerman trial, in a way it was still throwing hispanics under the bus by completely ignoring the fact that Zimmerman is hispanic, not white. He also, by the way, tutors black kids on his spare time and took a black girl to prom, but dont expect the mainstream media to pick up on it. We're still a very racist country. All the faux outrage over the Trayvon Martin shooting was just so people could feel good about themselves for standing up for the "poor, defenseless, back kid". Meanwhile black kids are slaughtered by the hundreds every year in Chicago and the media and politicians alike would rather keep talking about abortion or gay marriage. If we dont get our racial shit under control the next time a guy like Marc Anthony, who was born in NY by the way, sings the national anthem, or a guy like Zimmerman shoots someone for bashing his head into the pavement there wont be anybody to stand up for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back