• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Papa Shango's proposed 1997 run?

Somewhat Large Gonzalez

Dark Match Winner
As some of you may know, Charles Wright was set to return to the Federation in 1997 as Papa Shango. According to him, the character was to receive a "gritty" update. He was going to wear a mask instead of donning face paint, and the idea was that he would feud with 'Taker in a major program. Apparently, photos exist of Shango in his would-be 1997 gear. Ultimately, Vince decided to go with Kane instead. Wright would surface two years later as The Godfather, so it worked out well for all parties involved, I suppose.

My questions...does anyone know where these alleged photos reside? I'm dying to see Shango's revamped attire. It sounds impossibly cool, and I'm a fan of the gimmick anyway. Also, do you think it was wise to abort the angle? I'm an admitted Kane mark, so I wouldn't trade him for anyone. Still, I'm curious to see how it would have unfolded. I believe the company was expansive enough to support two supernatural forces of darkness. After all, Shango and 'Taker were both active in the early 90's.

What say you?

If he was going to get the strap it should have been as the God Father. Dude was ridiculously over back then, it was crazy. I mean if Mick Foley got the strap as a face 2 years after he was awesome damn near anyone could have got it.

As some of you may know, Charles Wright was set to return to the Federation in 1997 as Papa Shango. According to him, the character was to receive a "gritty" update. He was going to wear a mask instead of donning face paint, and the idea was that he would feud with 'Taker in a major program. Apparently, photos exist of Shango in his would-be 1997 gear. Ultimately, Vince decided to go with Kane instead. Wright would surface two years later as The Godfather, so it worked out well for all parties involved, I suppose.

My questions...does anyone know where these alleged photos reside? I'm dying to see Shango's revamped attire. It sounds impossibly cool, and I'm a fan of the gimmick anyway. Also, do you think it was wise to abort the angle? I'm an admitted Kane mark, so I wouldn't trade him for anyone. Still, I'm curious to see how it would have unfolded. I believe the company was expansive enough to support two supernatural forces of darkness. After all, Shango and 'Taker were both active in the early 90's.

What say you?

your half right, yes Wright was supposed to recommence the Papa Shango gimmick, but Vince decided to keep him as Kama, adding Mustafa to his name and had him join the Nation of Domination instead. He didnt come back in 1999 as the Godfather, he was with the company the entire time and was repackaged once the Nation folded when The Rock went solo. As for the p[ictures, guessing a google search is your best bet. The feud with Taker was always going to be Kane, the brother, this was spoken about by Paul Bearer for months during 1997 before it actually happened. Wright was returning as Papa Shango, not as Kane

What say you?

Sadly, the photos have never been released. They're just little 8x10s sitting in Wright's attic or something.

And I really don't think it was an either/or situation with Kane and Papa Shango. It seems more likely that Shango would've feuded with Undertaker before Kane's debut. Maybe in place of Shawn Michaels - perhaps Undertaker vs. Papa Shango in the first Hell in a Cell? Or before the Shawn Michaels feud. Undertaker didn't really do a whole lot in mid-97, even though he was the WWE champion. He had unmemorable matches with Mankind and Steve Austin, then defended his title against Faarooq - ironically, it was the loss in that match that caused Faarooq to kick everybody out of the Nation of Domination and start over, including bringing in Kama Mustafa(somehow you missed that part before his return as The Godfather). They were building towards Kane's debut this entire time, but I think they definitely could've fit in a big feud with Papa Shango in there. Would've been fun to watch.

I know about Mustafa. I was just highlighting The Godfather to point out that he found success in spite of not being used as Shango in '97 (Kama wasn't exactly successful, especially pre-Nation).

I don't think I would have cared for the revamped gimmick that much, which I couldn't find anywhere on Google (Like JJ15776 said). That gimmick was great in the early 90s since it was in tone with a lot of other wacky stuff they were doing. His feud with Warrior was really good.

But if they brought it back, it would have reminded me more of the Boogeyman, but maybe a little bit more over. Definitely not by a lot.

In the end, it worked out for everyone anyway. Godfather was over, where any other time I doubt he would have been. And the Kane/UT storyline worked out perfectly.

Still, I'd love to see what the new Shango would have looked like. Hopefully Wright sells them or posts them somewhere. I would think they would be worth a lot to many fans of that era.

I think it is absolutely a great idea and sad we didn't see it play out. It certainly would have been great to add him to the story with Kane, as well, instead of the executioner (I can't be the only one thinking it...).

I still think this would be a great surprise entry at the Royal Rumble. Great pop, huge shout out to nostalgia and we all are happy.

The Papa Shango gimmick was never hugely successful for Wright, he had feuds set up with Warrior and Bret but never got the big match pay-off. WWE was changing in 1997 and I don't think the gimmick would have worked all that well, the Kane gimmick only worked because it was part of the great "Undertaker's long lost brother" angle.

Not sure how it would have worked out, like others have said the WWE was changing. I also think he would have feuded with Undertaker separately as Kane had been talked about before the actually debut leading me believe it was planned way ahead. What I would have found interesting if the would have brought that character in to be apart of The Ministry. Definitely would have fit in well with them. It all worked out for the best though as The Godfather was way over, and had a pretty good run at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back