• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Orton vs. Barrett: Underrated or Underwritten?

Cleavo77

Occasional Pre-Show
I watch Raw every Monday, and read the spoilers for Smackdown every Wednesday. However I really enjoy the Orton/Barrett feud that's been going on as of late. I look at the top face on Smackdown vs. a guy who could easily rise up and be SD's biggest heel. IMO Wade is like a British Jericho of sorts. His intellect and arrogance is right on par. But the thing is I'm tired of heel's like Miz who just talk about how they are the greatest. The irony is the last great heel that I can remember is...well, Randy Orton. Back in his feud with Triple H, where he was punting the skulls of the McMahon family, and HHH went to Orton's house with a sledge hammer, now THAT was a feud. I know at time real world simulations like that can be corny, but hell, Ryder is BUILT on corny, and look at his success. Just like Orton and Cena's dad.

As awesome as this would be, I truly feel like this feud is underrated and doesn't get the hype or airtime it deserves. If done correctly this could be one of the better feuds this decade.

My point is that I really feel like this seriously could have been Smackdown's WM Main Event. So hear me out, this is how I would have it unfold.

Honestly, this feud is great as it is. But if you could give Barrett and Orton more mic time on both shows to take jabs at each other, make it personal, this could be the main feud on Smackdown headed into WM.

Turn back the clock a few months. Maybe Barrett could get pissed that every time he gets on a role for a title shot, Orton steals it. So Barrett takes him out. HARD. Put Orton on the bench for a few months. Give him some time off, time with family. He is SO OVER with the crowd some time off wont hurt him at all. People will actually MISS him. Meanwhile, let this whole Mark Henry thing play out. Let Henry take out his opponents until Barrett finally gets a title shot. Have him win clean over the worlds strongest man at TLC. Then maybe you bring Orton back at the Rumble. Have Barrett successfully defend earlier in the night. Then Have Orton be entrant #1. Have him last all the way until #30. Maybe #30 can be a returning Jericho setting up Punk/Jericho at Mania (Wishful thinking). Anyway, set up Orton for the win, he's reeling to hit Jericho with RKO. Hits it. Jericho falls to the ground, so does Orton. Have Barrett's music hit and come running to the ring. Have Barrett hit Orton with the Wasteland. Jericho stands back up, waits for Orton to get up, hits him with the code breaker to send him stumbling over the ropes. Jericho Wins.

Thus Begins the Road to WM. For weeks build up the feud between the two. Have Barrett terrorize Orton's Family. Maybe Cowboy Bob. Or get creative, idc. Just build the tension.

Come Elimination Chamber: Orton, Barrett, Henry, Big Show, Sheamus, Rhodes in the Chamber. Release Barrett last to a completely battered Orton and Rhodes left over. Rhodes gets ready to take Orton out in a huge way, but Barrett stops him. And hits the wasteland on Cody, eliminating him, essentially saving Orton.

Not quite.

Now its just Orton and Barrett in the cage. Have Barrett call for a Mic. Have him talk directly to Orton's passed out body on the mat. "The only reason I saved you from Rhodes... is because if anyone is going to destroy you once and for all, it's going to be me, on the grandest stage of them all." Have him drop the Mic. Pick up Ortons body, hit the wasteland and the pin.

Orton and Barrett go to Mania, have a HUGE battle in a no holds barred match. Orton wins clean with a HUGE RKO off a ladder or something.

Orton is the New World Heavyweight Champion.

Thoughts?

The thing is Orton hasn't been able to cut one decent promo all year. Everytime he has been on the mic it has been horribly bland and boring to the point that they just stopped giving him as much mic time. He is great in the ring but as a face he can't really pull it off on the mic which means his feuds aren't going to be as interesting unless someone carries it for him like Christian did in their feud. Orton in the main event of wreslemania would feel like a let down because how would he sell it if he can't cut a decent promo.

Orton needs a feud for WM and I cant see him being in the title picture by then so why not Wade Barrett? This could be the Orton vs Punk from last Mania.... but better?

Wade Barrett putting Orton through a table with WasteLand was a lovely touch last week and this could really make the feud continue... the problem is the feud is already drawing to a close and there is really only one more PPV in it if we are lucky. If Orton is going to have a Feud at wrestlemania then that Feud would have to BEGIN during or after Royal Rumble and if thats going to be Wade Barrett... then this current feud needs to be slowed down dramatically until its time to get serious.
They need to have a series of No contests or both participate in the Royal Rumble instead of having matches in order to bring it to a climax at Mania.... if they dont do that then by the time Mania comes around then nobody will care anymore.

I think that this could have been a Fantastic match for Wrestlemania but I also think that they started the Feud too early for it to happen. Otherwise I totaly agree with you, but I think its just too late.
Both need to be at Mania but the only way I see them in the same match together is if a few more people were invloved to spice the hype back up again.

I've enjoyed the feud as well. It's produced some good matches and Barrett is probably a more credible heel and overall performer due to this feud than he's ever been. I don't really look at the feud as either underrated or underwritten, it just hasn't been shoved down our throats in numerous segments each week or one video package after another.

The feud has gotten over due in large part to Orton's star power. But, it's also true that it hasn't gotten as much attention as one might think. That's rare in a Randy Orton feud because it's a rarity for Randy Orton not to be somewhere right in the middle of the main event picture. Orton isn't in the main event right now, he's not going after the WHC, so it's perfectly natural for this feud to not get as much attention as what's going to be happening, for instance, with the Daniel Bryan/Mark Henry/Big Show WHC situation.

The WWE has used Orton to elevate several stars over the course of the last 6 months or so such as Christian, Mark Henry, Cody Rhodes and now Wade Barrett. I think it's great use of Orton's star power and it's just a fresh role for him.

I think this is one of the feuds that can help the mid level card. Yes Orton is a main eventer and Barrett is getting there, but you can only clog up the main event some much. If you have the champions, WWE and World Heavyweight, going at it in the main event, is there room for something like this? I was surprised that Barrett didn't go over at TLC, but can see him screwing Orton in the Rumble since I don't think they would have a one on one match at Rumble. Maybe at Elimination Chamber.

I dont actually think that the SmackDown Main event is that crowded. The Raw Main event is bulging....where the MidCard is heavily lacking.... but Barrett can be of much use to the SmackDown Main event once he is a little more over.

Its been a good feud. What hurts it a little is they are really not feuding over anything...its kind of like Sheamus/Christian. Rhodes/Orton have history together. This was kind of started randomly which does take away from it.

Its been a huge feud for Barrett. It kind of put his career back on track. I think what they are doing is building towards Randy Orton vs Wade Barrett vs Daniel Bryan at WM. But once the world title come into the picture it becomes more heated, and DB has history with Wade.

I wouldn't be surprised if Orton and Barrett are the last 2 remaining at the Rumble. And one will eliminate the other for the win.

I just don't think Orton has extended himself enough in this feud for it to truly be great. Barrett has been golden, and maybe it's a good thing Orton didn't shine too much, but I would have preferred better quality back-and-forth. Instead it was just Barrett stepping up and evolving, and Orton being the stone-faced good guy as he always is... Just not enough depth to truly get me interested past the other feuds going on.

What true bad blood do the two of them have in common? What more than Orton being in the way of Barrett's future greatness? I mean, that could be enough to have a great feud! LOrd knows it's been done in the past... Hell, Barrett formed an entire faction and took over Raw just to get to the top before... He's great at doing it, he's believable in that role, but is Orton the guy for him to go through? As of yet there's been no word from Orton in defense of his position. He hasn't fought to secure it or keep on top. He hasn't gone after the title recently or cut a promo on being the best Smackdown has to offer. THe problem here is that Barrett is trying to beat the best, who isn't acting like the best... Orton needs more intensity, more drive, and regardless of whether he is better than the whole SMackdown roster, he has to act like he's god's gift to pro wrestling! Make me believe that Orton/Barrett is a feud worth buying WrestleMania for!

I've really enjoyed this feud and I hope it keeps going on to mania. They're promos have been good along with solid matches. Barrett saying that all the roads to the top go through Orton is exactly right and a big win at WM could really put the brit over. I would have have Barret go over ortonn at the big show and have randy go on vacation or something for a month or two and come back as a heel. I've really hated Orton's character as of late. It's just hard for me to get how a psychopath can be a face character, what the hell kind of message does that send?

I think this feud is more for Barrett rather than Orton. Orton is already a 9-time world champion while Barrett has yet to achieve any success. I think this feud will continue till Elimination Chamber and I have this gut feeling that Orton is going to EITHER get the strap going into Wrestlemania or he will be challenging for the strap at Wrestlemania. Would be nice to see Orton vs. Barrett for the title with Barrett as champion. At least Smackdown's writers are more sensible than Raw. but this storyline is far from over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back