• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Original v. Cover: Turn The Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
One man defined my young teens for classic rock. The man from Michigan who stayed true to his roots with his music. Bob Seger. He a dozen great singles that I would love to listen to over and over. One of them is a classic known as Turn the Page.

[youtube]Fe7yOccqdxI[/youtube]

Metallica would release a cover album packed with songs, and one of the songs they choose was this classic tune

[youtube]44QqleZ51zc[/youtube]

Now I have to pick the original, with Alto on the Sax, with Bob Seger's classic soothing voice, the nighting effect in the music, and the travelling man feel. What do you choose?

TM, you hit the nail on the head with the Alto Saxaphone. That crooning brass opener STILL sends chills down my spine to this very day.

The benefit I will give Metallica, however, is that they more so captured the essence of the anger and frustration that went along with being a road act. I bet a lot of wrestlers identify with this song as well. When Hetfields voice literally GRINDS into "yeah most times you can't hear 'em talk...other times you can..."

I'm definitely going to have to go with Seger's version here. Mainly because I absolutely despise Metallica's version. Don't get me wrong, it's mildly enjoyable, but I had a friend who would never stop playing it, ever. He made me despise that song in every way imaginable. Personally I just think Metallica has been total shit for about nearly 20 years now, since the Black Album. They release a good song rarely these days.

Seger is a guy that I really had to gradually get into. I was never a fan of the guy growing up, but eventually as I listened more and more to the man I began to acquire a taste for him. I love Night Moves to death. I have to go with his cover here, simply because of how much I've grown to dislike Metallica's version.

I love both versions of the song, but I'm going to give it to Metallica. I can see why people would like Seger's version better, but personally I prefer to listen to Metallica's. I love the anger in the Metallica version and think that Hetfields voice suits the lyrics much better.

However, that being said, I do enjoy Seger's original, but I prefer a rougher angrier voice to go with these lyrics.

Reactions: X
I love both versions of this song, but I like Metallica's version better, no doubt. Aside from the saxophone, there is nothing in Seger's version that is better than Metallica's version.

Reactions: NSL
TM hit it right on the head with the Alto Saxaphone. It's just haunting, it's one of those songs everyone knows, and one of those songs that you listen to on a long car ride, and it jut gives you that feel of...well, just that amazing feeling. Metallica's version is highly enjoyable as well though. Hetfield knows how to sing the shit out of this song, but nobody can top Bob Seger, and this song can not be topped, with the reason being, you can NOT top an already PERFECT song.

Personally I just think Metallica has been total shit for about nearly 20 years now, since the Black Album. They release a good song rarely these days.

The more I read your music posts, the more I think someone took a big steaming shit in your Corn Flakes. While their stuff since Black Album hasn't been up to par with Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, or Kill 'Em All, I won't say it's all shit. I like Load and Re-Load; I like a few songs off Garage Inc, and Death Magnetic keeps growing on me.

I like Seger's version, and can listen to it over and over, but IC said it best that Metallica's version caught the emotion a bit more. I can't pinpoint where it is that they got it "right", but you can almost feel their pain as the song goes on. Hetfield's voice paints a great picture of the meaning of the song, but the music does a phenomenal job of carrying you through the story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back