Original v. Cover: No Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Blind Melon was a great band, stopped in their tracks way too early after Shannon Hoon's death. Sadly, this song is the only widely known track from them. It's a great song, and it fits any mood at any time, and anyone can sing along.

The Original:

[YOUTUBE]dYlAwvz8uwc[/YOUTUBE]​

The Cover:

[YOUTUBE]l_nvol--gnk[/YOUTUBE]​

Meg And Dia are a pretty big guilty pleasure of mine, and I'm kind of upset they never recorded this, and only played it live. While nothing can ever match the original, they did a very good job of covering the song. The music matches up really well, and for a live show, it sounds like they nailed the vocals. Ironically, they're vocals are actually a little deeper than Shannon's :lmao:

Can't go wrong with Blind Melon here. No Rain is just one of those classic 90s songs, the kind of song that instantly puts my mind into a time machine back to childhood and listening to all the latest alt-rock and grunge songs on the radio. No Rain was a favorite of mine as a kid, and the weird and wacky video helped matters.

It's a shame what happened to Hooch, but No Rain was probably their crowning achievement. Gets the nod here from me, I wasn't too big on the Meg & Dia version.

Certainly the original. One of the great 90's Alt-Rock anthems. And surprisingly so as it's a lot "brighter" than most 90's rock.

The cover makes me feel like I'm bleeding all over the Lilith Fair *shudders*.

I am unfortunately a mark for Meg & Dia, especially after meeting them at Warp Tour a handful of years ago and assisting Dia backstage after being sick & dehydrated in the 94 degree shade of Nashville.

I enjoy both versions something fierce, but my vote goes to Meg & Dia. They make it fresh and new while keeping true to the roots of the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back