Original v. Cover: Flagpole Sitta

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
This song came out when I was in 7th or 8th grade, and at the time, it was just fun to listen to, and passed a lot of time while doing whatever with friends. As the years have passed, the epicness of this song has fallen over me. The music isn't anything extraordinary, but the lyrics are amazing. Harvey Danger is the epitome of a one-hit wonder, and I'm happy for it.

The Original:

[youtube]nBgmC_USeoM[/youtube]​

A few years ago, there was a CD released called Pop Goes Punk, and a rather popular screamo band named Chiodos covered this very song. While the music is obviously played a little differently, the vocals are pretty much nailed, except for a short portion towards the end where they scream through a chorus.

The Cover:

[youtube]yh_ZCzunF2I[/youtube]​

While I like the new version, I don't think any cover could ever top the original. The newer version just doesn't have the same feel, and isn't as "fun" to listen to.

Oh NSL, you don't know just how much I used to love that song Flagpole Sitta. Blame it on the movie Disturbing Behavior, which I absolutely loved when it came out. The way they used this song in the movie was perfect, and I remember just thinking "Dear god who sings that AWESOME song?!", so I had to go and find out who it was. It's been a part of my music collection ever since, from cassette tapes to blank CDs to my iPod right now, it's one of those eternal rock anthems to me, and an amazing song from start to finish.

I love Chiodos, but they're out of their element here, and it shows. Their cover isn't bad by any means, but it's not great. Chiodos do much better in the screamo genre though, so this isn't their cup of tea. Great band nevertheless.

Fuck I love Flagpole Sitta NSL! Without a doubt Harvey Danger's version gets my vote, love that song to FUCK.

Paranoia, paranoia everybody's comin' to GET ME!

Chiodos's cover off of the great Punk Goes.... collection really is an attempt to turn the 90s youth anthem into a 2000s anthem. I do prefer the original, perhaps being a kid of the 90s. Chiodos's only great element in the screaming part that helps pick up their version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back