Original v. Cover: I Touch Myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
We all have a memory involving this song, whether it's a corny romantic scene with our first girlfriend, or some weird alone time in the basement with some kleenex. What a lot of people fail to know, is this song is covered by a ton of bands, but most don't live up to the original. I think there's one that's close, and only because of the type of band that covered it, not necessarily the quality of the song.

The Original:

[youtube]sFEfmbAeEDY[/youtube]​

The Cover:

[youtube]U_6nzQQTsT8[/youtube]​

I'll always think the original is the only good music version of this song, but for anyone who knows anything about The Genitorturers, you know that they're the sick kind of band that would love to play a song about self-love. It's not a bad cover, but not as good as the original ode to one-handed typing...

All right, now you've hit close to home here NSL. I'm not ashamed to admit that the Divinyl's "I Touch Myself" was one of the very first cassette tapes I owned as a kid. Blame the first Austin Powers film. I heard that song, loved it, and listened to the original all the time. Later on in life I can't help but look back and shake my head and crack a smile at how stupid I must've looked as a 10 year old kid bopping around to this song. Whatever, I still love it.

The cover isn't bad, not at all. I quite liked it. But nothing matches the nostalgia of the original for me.

I'm gonna come out and say it: I fuckin' love this song! Hell, I still dance to it whenever it comes on at my bar job.

On to topic, though. I'm the rare breed where I'll take either version. I don't discriminate either the original or cover. Hell, when I was workin' an internship at a local radio station, in high school, I was instrumental to getting the Genitorturers version on the air! So, yeah, all in all, I'm willing to hear either.

I'm gonna come out and say it: I fuckin' love this song! Hell, I still dance to it whenever it comes on at my bar job.

On to topic, though. I'm the rare breed where I'll take either version. I don't discriminate either the original or cover. Hell, when I was workin' an internship at a local radio station, in high school, I was instrumental to getting the Genitorturers version on the air! So, yeah, all in all, I'm willing to hear either.

Probably should've known you'd be a fan, but I'm amazed there's another Genitorturers fan on WZ. They're beyond obscure, and were never even "known" at their peak. This cover may be the only song anyone would know from them, and it's not their best, by far.

As far as dancing in public to the original, I think that's part of what makes it great. Everyone laughs at the song, but they're also big fans, and will dance along with you.

I have never been a fan of the song, never done anything, but I do feel that it was better than the cover, as the cover sounds more like an industrial pull of the original with some effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back