Original v. Cover: American Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
After my last one was very well received, I am back with my 4th version of this thread for a Canadian Classic. Not exactly about a woman, more about the American War Machine, The Guess Who (not the Who) are a large part of the Canadian identity. This song was a massive hit for them, not only in Canada, but in America as well. I pick the original for the greatest of the two, but it is close as the cover is good as well.

The Guess Who
[youtube]DZVzH5yBFQA[/youtube]

Lenny Kravitz
[youtube]5Z_fsdWYXMA[/youtube]

I'd have to say the first one, but that might just be because I am Canadian. Seriously though, Lenny's version is good, I just like the sound of the original. The guitar sounds really cool in it, and the vocals are great.

Lenny Kravitz is a classic example of a once great artist turned absolute shit. His first few albums were fantastic, and he really showcased his skill at the guitar. Then he became yet another bland commercialized hack, and I consider his American Woman cover to be right in the thick of his awful stage. It's not a bad cover really; but it doesn't touch the original.

The Guess Who are one of the most underrated and unfortunately unknown rock bands of their time. They produced several great LPs between the late 60s, early 70s. Unfortunately they fell apart musically not long after that, but American Woman stands as their shining achievement, and is without a doubt one of the greatest rock and roll songs ever. That opening guitar screeching hits you right in the gut every single time. Classic song, and unfortunately for Kravitz, he couldn't hope to match it in his wildest dreams.

Here's a studio version of the Guess Who version...

[youtube]3OR6HkGS11c[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back