One-time only matches.

BestWrestlingOpinions

Getting Noticed By Management
Evolution vs the Shield. A semi-dream match for many people. The great Evolution from 2004 vs the "most dominant force in the industry", the Shield. Nobody can deny the intensity of this match.

We saw it. At Extreme Rules. Promos were nicely done, it was built up really well. Do we want to see it again, though? To me, it is one of these one time deals, you do the match, best man/team wins and that's it. No need for rematches, especially if there isn't a screwy finish.

The Shield was proven the better team, clear and simple. Last february, at Elimination Chamber, we got Wyatts vs the Shield. The Wyatts went over, clean. The better team won, that's it. They didn't have to run the same match again for like 4-5 times already. It loses its mystique. It should be a one time deal. Same with Evolution.

Cena vs Rock was again one of those once in a lifetime matches. No need for two matches. I could name so many more. Don't get me wrong, most of those matches will always be amazing, but the thing is, it doesn't feel that much special anymore.

On the other hand, there are other matches that you love to see the guys go at each other as many times as possible, so to speak. One of those feuds is Cm Punk vs John Cena. They had amazing matches in the past, the contrast in personalities is there etc. Same for Rock - Austin.

I know WWE wants to treat everyone as equals. Last year, Cena got his win over the Rock. He also got a win over Punk. Wyatt for this steel cage win over Cena. Evolution will seemingly beat the Shield at Payback. Do we want to see this though? At some point, as fans, we gotta see someone as superior to the other. It's not a burial, it's just that someone's got your number. Punk went around claiming that Cena can't beat him. It was a nice rub to have and they could run that fact to a better story than a match for the #1 contendership at WM. The Shield should go ahead and say that they beat Evolutionn fair and square, they are better, that's it, end of story. At some point in time, we need closure to some big feuds, some needs to be better than someone else.

Evolution vs the Shield. A semi-dream match for many people. The great Evolution from 2004 vs the "most dominant force in the industry", the Shield. Nobody can deny the intensity of this match.

We saw it. At Extreme Rules. Promos were nicely done, it was built up really well. Do we want to see it again, though? To me, it is one of these one time deals, you do the match, best man/team wins and that's it. No need for rematches, especially if there isn't a screwy finish.

The Shield was proven the better team, clear and simple. Last february, at Elimination Chamber, we got Wyatts vs the Shield. The Wyatts went over, clean. The better team won, that's it. They didn't have to run the same match again for like 4-5 times already. It loses its mystique. It should be a one time deal. Same with Evolution.

Cena vs Rock was again one of those once in a lifetime matches. No need for two matches. I could name so many more. Don't get me wrong, most of those matches will always be amazing, but the thing is, it doesn't feel that much special anymore.

On the other hand, there are other matches that you love to see the guys go at each other as many times as possible, so to speak. One of those feuds is Cm Punk vs John Cena. They had amazing matches in the past, the contrast in personalities is there etc. Same for Rock - Austin.

I know WWE wants to treat everyone as equals. Last year, Cena got his win over the Rock. He also got a win over Punk. Wyatt for this steel cage win over Cena. Evolution will seemingly beat the Shield at Payback. Do we want to see this though? At some point, as fans, we gotta see someone as superior to the other. It's not a burial, it's just that someone's got your number. Punk went around claiming that Cena can't beat him. It was a nice rub to have and they could run that fact to a better story than a match for the #1 contendership at WM. The Shield should go ahead and say that they beat Evolutionn fair and square, they are better, that's it, end of story. At some point in time, we need closure to some big feuds, some needs to be better than someone else.

There has to be a Shield / Evolution 2 because there's not really a lot of other options in the main event scene right now. The feud is still hot so it would be insane not to continue with it.

Cena/Rock shouldn't have had a second match. Cena should have won the first match. With the Rock winning there had to be a Cena/Rock 2 because you can't have your top star lose to a part timer, outsider, nostalgia act or whatever you want to call him. You don't job Hogan to Ric Flair in 92 and you don't job Cena to the Rock at WM 28 without Cena getting his win back.

I agree that Punk and Cena had good chemistry. Honestly, I think Punk had his best matches with Cena. With that said, the Shield had a really good match with Evolution and I don't see why they should continue having good matches.

Getting wins back is common when it comes to top guys. Over the years from shoot imterviews guys often state that they need to get their heat back after a loss in order for them to stay in their spot.

One and dones can be cool but often they get forgotten. Goldberg vs Rock, Goldberg vs Lesnar, Hogan vs Michaels are all one and dones.

When you play at a certain level the rules don't really apply to you. A main event face can go over some low card heel 1,000 times but if the heel is a top guy he is bound to beat win at least once. Trading wins extends feuds, it's not really a feud if one guy always wins. Sheamus beats Christian 1,000 times and it's always the same, that's not a real feud and it creates boredom in the audience. If fans aren't sure who will win they are more likely to actually watch it and care.

I agree with you. There's so many options to how feuds should go down, but it's all based on the in-ring chemistry, match/promo quality, and characters.

I enjoy this Shield/Evolution feud and look forward to more matches, but maybe just 1 or 2 more. Obviously you don't want to overplay it. But then that goes to ask, what's the limit? Personally, I enjoy the occasional underdog feud where one guy loses multiple times
before getting the final upper hand and winning the most important match of the feud (ie a title, contendership, etc). Much like the Bryan/Authority feud (if you look at it as such, and not Bryan/HHH). Bryan was screwed over and over again. We watched, thinking there's no way Bryan will lose this one, but they screwed him over again. It went against the typical back and forth fashion of most feuds, and the pay-off was so much bigger when Bryan won when it counted the most.

An example of a feud that I thought should've ended with one match is the Undertaker's Mania streak when he defended against HBK and HHH. I really enjoyed the first HBK match and both of the HHH matches. But when I saw HBK unsuccessfully take on Taker twice, I knew HHH wouldn't succeed after a second time either. If you take both of those men and give them their one match with Taker, that's 2 extra years you could've used to solidify top stars like Cena, Sheamus, Ryback (with proper build-up), etc.

I know.. but stay with me.
I kinda wanna see The Immortal Hulk Hogan vs. The Punjabi Giant....... The Great Khali
I just think this would be the funniest match I could ever see. With the over selling and underselling all at once...I don't know what I would do.
I can't imagine a Khali chop to hogan....The face he would make lol.
Or Khali counting as Hogan leg drops him.

But in all honesty, I was a huge Paul London fan. Before he got fired there was a rumor what he would get a giant push. I would have loved to see him go up against DB when he first started in the WWE. No beard. I think he had a wide move set back then.
But I like both of the guys and I think they can fly really well and make a match look good.

Well you could do singles matches instead
Batista/Reigns, Orton/Rollins and Ambrose HHH
Help build up to the HHH/Reigns match they want to do
There has to be a Shield / Evolution 2 because there's not really a lot of other options in the main event scene right now. The feud is still hot so it would be insane not to continue with it.

Cena/Rock shouldn't have had a second match. Cena should have won the first match. With the Rock winning there had to be a Cena/Rock 2 because you can't have your top star lose to a part timer, outsider, nostalgia act or whatever you want to call him. You don't job Hogan to Ric Flair in 92 and you don't job Cena to the Rock at WM 28 without Cena getting his win back.

I agree that Punk and Cena had good chemistry. Honestly, I think Punk had his best matches with Cena. With that said, the Shield had a really good match with Evolution and I don't see why they should continue having good matches.

Quick off-topic but any one notice that :worship: looks a lot like the "Yes!" chant? but I digress...

The reason we need rematches is that they, normally, create more of a buzz that the original. i.e. the baby-face had the match won but after the heel/heels use their nefarious ways, they slip over. Baby-face vows next time will be different and keep your faith on me, and usually they are right.

This day and age with all the tv time there is no way to avoid people wrestling multiple time against one another. The way I look at it avoiding so many different feuds with the same 2 guys is the equivalent.. A lot of the time now 2 people revisiting their program 2 years later, but the face/heel dynamic switched causes some of the best feuds now.

Like with the mention of Punk/Cena, while they did main event something like 4 ppvs in a 18 month span (including triple threat matches) I am of the opinion they never really had that classic back and forth 5 month program. We were headed there it seemed in mid-late 2012 but because of Rocks Rumble title shot, Rybacks unforeseen time as an over babyface, Cenas elbow, Punks knee (in that order) derailed it. Hopefully we get it in the next year or so, it would be a great way to have that be one of their last epic feud in their mid to late 30's together (anyone but Orton again).

Or with the way the Georgia Dome sold after the announcement of the Goldberg/Hogan Nitro match, they likely blew 500,000+ buy for Goldberg/Hogan 2' and 3. I thinl its better for 2 guys to have one match too many together than risk leaving the money on the table you'd get for the big rating, huge gate, and PPVs purchase spike.

Well you could do singles matches instead
Batista/Reigns, Orton/Rollins and Ambrose HHH
Help build up to the HHH/Reigns match they want to do

Right now I would argue that the Shield as a group is more of a draw than the individual members. Same could be said for Evolution at this point. I don't see why a return match is even in question. It's the norm. Do you know how many times the Von Erichs fought the Freebirds? It's just how the business works.

Jesus fucking christ man, can you make a topic on this damn site that doesn't work CM Punk into it somehow? Damn.

After hearing about the initial long term planning leading to a showdown between Triple H and Reigns at Summerslam. I have no problem with Evolution vs. Shield II. If anything, it's a change from The Rock vs. Cena, HBK vs. Hogan, etc. where the feud doesn't benefit the WWE long term, just short term because of pay per per view buys and attendance.

The fans like the feud. It wouldn't surprise me if The Shield wins again or Evolution steals a win and they face off at MITB one last time. It's pretty awesome seeing part timers HHH and Batista doing extra matches to elevating the young talent.

Cena vs. The Rock II, I agree it should have never happened but as well all know WWE is a business first so they really thought it could make some money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back