• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[Official] Ring of Honor Thread

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
Since W.W.E, and T.N.A have their own Official television discussion threads. And because R.O.H just debuted this past Saturday night on HDNet, I figure it's time we give R.O.H a decent enough push into the Main-stream. It's about fucking time, too.

TheOneBigWill's 'take' on R.O.H. - Saturday, March 21st, 2009:

The show opens like some of their most recent DVD specials have, with two guys in what looks like an editing room. Dave Prazak and the new commentator, Mike Cogwood. A review of R.O.H is mentioned, with an explanation to the R.O.H name being because unlike any other promotion, in Ring of Honor, it's almost a must that before every match.. but opponents must "shake-hands" in a show of honor.

Before each match, they ran mini-segments with each individual Wrestling tonight in little pieces they called "Smacktalk". It was basically allowing each Wrestler to introduce themselves, and explain what their goal was.

Jerry Lynn was the initial individual to debut for R.O.H, as he took on Delirious.

1. Jerry Lynn v. Delirious: While I've always and will always remain a very solid Jerry Lynn fan, I must admit my first true showing of an R.O.H "original", in Delirious, was anything but entertaining.

It's no wonder this guy hasn't been given a contract, despite having several try-outs, with either of the other two "top Companies". His gimmick, I would imagine, is that of someone who's crazed and "delirious". Well, I wasn't sold on it in the slightest. Infact, I almost stopped watching completely, before even giving the rest of the show a chance.

Thankfully, I dreaded through this match as Jerry Lynn won with his cradle piledriver. Winner: Jerry Lynn

We cut to the backstage area, or lockerroom rather, where Tyler Black is interviewed about his relationship with his opponent tonight, Jimmy Jacobs. Black cuts your very basic promo, basically talking about how Jacobs more or less turned on him.

2. Kenny King v. Sami Callihan: When I first read "Kenny" was Wrestling, I thought they meant the forum Spirit Squad member. Much to my surprise, to find out it's a black version. :lmao: Seriously though, Kenny King is my new favorite R.O.H Wrestler.

Sami Callihan mentioned being the "New ****e" and talked about every day being Halloween. I have no fucking clue what this guy is on, but he was average at best. The match itself was amazing. King is just a great talent to watch, and if you want to invest your time in R.O.H, I highly support and advise watching Kenny King.

In the end, King won with his finisher, called "The Coronation". It's basically a reverse Death Valley Driver, into a DDT. It's fucking amazing, is what it is. Winner: Kenny King

Jimmy Jacobs is now being interviewed in the back, and this guy is amazing as far as interviews go. He talks about how he brought Tyler Black into R.O.H, only for Black to change his opinion on the way he sees things. He finishes the promo by simply saying "Black is always talking about how the war is coming, well, the war isn't coming. The war is here."

3. Brent Albright v. Rhett Titus: Rhett Titus is apparently Kenny King's tag team partner, and Brent Albright seems to be the "next big thing" as far as R.O.H goes.

I can't say I couldn't see that coming. I despise Samoa Joe. I despise C.M. Punk, and they both "made it huge". Well, I already can't stand Brent Albright, so of course he'll become the next "great thing". Lame. Titus was more impressive to me, with his ring work, gimmick, and his overall presence.

In the end, it was Albright winning with his armbar submission. He called it "The Crowbar". Winner: Brent Albright

They show a recap video of the Jacobs/Black feud, also involving Austin Aries. It had some decent clips involved and makes me want to truly youtube the shit outta this stuff to see more.

Main Event: Jimmy Jacobs v. Tyler Black: This was the only match that started without each opponent, not shaking hands.

First and foremost, Tyler Black is billed from Davenport, IA. Represent! :lmao: This was a very good match, and I honestly had my doubts on it being the Main Event of their debut show. But it worked out. I won't go into details about this contest, but it was amazing.

The ending came when Jacobs locked in the "End Time" which is your basic front facelock submission, only for Black to jack-knife pin up and over, and catch Jacobs unable to get out. Winner: Tyler Black

Overall Thoughts: The set is very low-key, and it reminds me of when T.N.A debuted, only with even LESS money. Furthermore, the biggest (notable) star they have, or at least debuted, was Jerry Lynn. So unlike T.N.A, it seems R.O.H actually wants to base everything off their own talent. That makes me smile.

If I wanted to watch former W.W.E or for that matter, T.N.A guys.. I'd youtube it, or just pull out old recorded VHS tapes.

My ONLY disappointment was that they didn't have their Heavyweight Champion, Nigel McGuinness, on their debut show. However he is scheduled to be on next week's show, against one of the Briscoe's. So I shall watch with more eager intent. I would give their debut show a 6 outta 10. They had roughly 1-2 commercial breaks, if even that. So the show ran literally 50+ minutes long, out of 1 hour. I love that.

I was so upset that I missed the first episode due to work, but I hope to find it streaming online somewhere this week. From your report, it seemed like a good first episode and I look foward to this upcoming Saturday's episode and maybe if we are lucky, Nigel will make an appearence! I like the fact that they didn't plaster him all over the first episode, the World's Champion should be used limitedly and only appear when nessessary, it makes both the champion and the championship feel important and it gives the feels that if it's used then it's important.

I finally got around to watching the show this morning on the computer since, unfortunately, DirecTV doesn't have HDNet. I hate watching long stuff over the computer, so I was worried that would tweak my judgment of the show in a negative view, but overall, I don't think it did.

Anyway, the opening little video was okay. I wasn't a fan of the music used and that the video was all red, but that's no big deal. The original ECW's opening videos were really the only one's I've ever really liked in pro wrestling, outside of some of WWE's pay-per-view's.

The new commentator I thought did an okay job, but still better then I expected. I respected and appreciated though that he didn't fuck around and just wing it, but as you could tell, he actually studied tapes of ROH and tried to be as passionate as he could, being that I'm sure he was never that big of a pro wrestling fan before this. He deserves a lot of praise for that, in my opinion, and since he was tolerable, unlike most brand new commentators. I thought his voice brought an old school feel to the show as well.

Jerry Lynn vs. Delirious was a great opener and my second favorite match of the night. I've been a HUGE Jerry Lynn fan for years, and Delirious is okay. I wouldn't call myself a fan of Delirious, but I still think he's a pretty good wrestler. I've always found his work against Bryan Danielson to be phenomenal, but then again... nearly everything that involves Danielson ends up being phenomenal, lol. Anyway, I really enjoyed the match. The promos before hand were kind of stupid, since I always found Delirious to be extremely annoying on the mic and since I thought Lynn came off corny as hell, but I'm sure Delirious made a few new fans with his promo. And I'm sure both guys made new fans with their match, because it was really good. The pace was just right for an opener, some terrific moves were showcased by both wrestlers throughout the match, and the crowd really dug all the action. Great, great way to kick off ROH's new show on HDnet.

Kenny King vs. Sami Callihan was decent as best. I've liked Kenny King for a while, but haven't seen much of Sami Callihan, so my expectations were pretty high for him considering ROH decided to put this dude on their very first television broadcast. Well, he sucked ass. Both his promo and his wrestling ability, in my opinion. I definitely did not become a fan of the guy. But, Kenny King still made the match watchable and I'm glad he was not only on the very first ROH HDnet show, but that he looked extremely good doing so.

The promo video after this match of the 'History of ROH' was fantastic and much better then I expected. Whoever did that deserves a lot of credit, because most ROH made videos like that on their DVD's end up being shit. But I thought this one did a great job of making sure to show just how many legends have participated in the company over years, and highlighting some of the best, most unbelievable bumps seen in ROH.

Brent Albright vs. Rhett Titus was a great little match, I thought. I'm a big, big fan of Brent Albright, have been since I saw his tremendous feud against Punk in OVW, and Rhett Titus is a fun character who reminds me a lot of Rick Martel. Titus is something the business is seriously lacking, considering there were so many great, memorable characters like him back in the day. Anyway, like I said, it was a fun little match that showcased Albright as a fucking force to be reckoned with, and Titus as an arrogant asshole, but someone you love to hate.

And the main event was simply awesome, just as I expected from these two wonderful wrestlers. What a great way to kick off their series of matches, and I thought these two did a fantastic job in making us want to see them go at it again sometime in the near future, and making us want to tune in in the weeks ahead to see how their feud progresses. Also, the interviews these two had were by far the best promos on the show, and got over the fact that these two have a ton of history and a lot to settle, and that their feud was worthy of being a main event spot. And these two motherfuckers really delivered in the match. It was by far the best main event I've seen on free television for quite sometime (too bad I couldn't actually watch it on my teleivion :( ) and a GREAT way to show new fans that if you're looking for old school feuds, but with matches that actually deliver instead of boring you to death, then ROH is the wrestling company to watch. WWE and TNA deliver great matches on fucking $40 pay-per-views, but ROH is showing that they're going to deliver us those types of matches for FREE and I think it's great, not just for them, but for us and the business as a whole.

Overall, I'm very, very happy with the program, and I'm looking forward to downloading this show every single week. But I am sending complaints to DirecTV and maybe, just maybe, I'll be getting HDnet on my television very soon. Until then, I'll just enjoy the programming on this fucking computer (can’t wait to see Nigel vs. Jay Briscoe next week), while continuing to support ROH by purchasing DVDs.

Directv does have HDNET, it's on their HD package. This is the first time I have watched roh and I was NOT impressed. It seemed like they taught a bunch of gymnasts how to semi wrestle and called it a company.

How many of the wrestlers were wearing eyeshadow? how many had gelled hair? Some of those guys should spend more time worrying about how they look wrestling than how their HAIR looks.

I'll give it 2 more weeks and if I don't start enjoy it I will quit watching. If I don't watch I won't comment, that's something alot of people around here should try.

Directv does have HDNET, it's on their HD package.

That's what pisses me off about it. It should be on its own. I'm not about to pay for the entire package just for one fucking channel. I don't even have a High Definition Television, so what would be the point of ordering something that just shows shit other channels already show, only in HD, when I don't even have an HD television? DirecTV should just offer the channel by itself.

Anyway, the rest of your post sucked. You have no idea what you're talking about. Appearance in pro wrestling is just as important as anything else, first of all. Every guy in WWE works their ass off to either set themselves apart from the next guy, or to just get jacked to the max so Vince will push them.

And what's this about gymnasts? Dude, there were hardly any highspots throughout the show.

Just admit it; you went into the show with your mind already made up that the show was going to be shit. It wouldn't have matter what ROH did; you already hated the company beforehand since so many "smarks" praise it so often, and you just knew it was going to be nothing but flips and hair gel. :icon_rolleyes:

I just watched ROH's first ever HDnet show and I was very please with how they presented the product, and I LOVE the new announcer, he really gives the matches a true "sports" appeal. The presentation was very nice and I am very excited for next weeks episode, and I was glad to see that they didn't change their style to add stoylines and crap, they just kept the product the same and I am so happy because of it. I think the man event is Nigel -vs- Jay Brisco or something like that, so it should be good, and I gotta thank JMT for being a friend and hooking me up.

ROH truley is Pro Wrestling :)

Lynn vs Delirious- I thought Delirious held his own against Lynn in the match & I thought that both men put enough effort to make the match good in my opinion. I give this match 7 stars out of 10

Tyler Black's promo was basic & I thought it was pretty good.

King vs Callahan- What the hell is Sami Callahan actually on cause he claims that he is the new ****e & that everyday is halloween to him. Anyways I think it's a damn shame that both WWE & TNA didn't give Kenny King much of a chance when he was with those two companies cause Kenny is quick as fuck, he is very agile, I love his cockiness & his overall ring work is better than most of the main eventers in both WWE & TNA. Overall solid wrestling by both King & Callahan as I give this match 8.5 stars out of 10.

Jimmy Jacob's promo comes on & he is amazing as far as the interviews go.

Albright vs Titus- Titus is one creepy mother fucker as he also looks like one of those male strippers that perform inside of gay strip clubs.Brent Albright or Gunner Scott whatever he likes to be called is a good talent & he does seem like the "next big thing" in ROH. Overall the match was fairly decent as I give this match 6.5 stars out of 10.

Main Event Match: Jacobs vs Black- Very exciting match & it delivers as a main event match. Honestly details are not needed but I do give this matchup 9 stars out of 10.

My overall thoughts on this show: I thought it was a pretty good show for a first time on TV. It kinda reminds you of when TNA first debuted but with even less money. It seems that ROH wants to give their homegrown talent a chance to shine which is what companies should do. I would give their debut show 7.75 stars out of 10. I just love wrestling without the shit load of commercial breaks.

Directv does have HDNET, it's on their HD package. This is the first time I have watched roh and I was NOT impressed. It seemed like they taught a bunch of gymnasts how to semi wrestle and called it a company.

How many of the wrestlers were wearing eyeshadow? how many had gelled hair? Some of those guys should spend more time worrying about how they look wrestling than how their HAIR looks.

I'll give it 2 more weeks and if I don't start enjoy it I will quit watching. If I don't watch I won't comment, that's something alot of people around here should try.

Wow, ROH puts on a much better in ring product than WWE and TNA and even most of Japan, so what are you basing this on? I got to dissagree and say that the in ring product is definatly priority over the wrestlers "look", the only real flashy look we saw on the opening show was Jacobs, and he always looks like that.

Just to set a couple people straight, Directv does INDEED have and carry R.O.H.

As it was reported earlier, it's through an HD channel though. (hence why I said "HDNet") So if you don't have an HD television, then you likely can not even get this program because you need an HD receiver. It'd be no different than not being capable of ordering W.W.E or T.N.A Pay per views in HD. (which, I might add on a side note T.N.A doesn't even carry HD p.p.v's yet.) So I hope this helps solve a lot of people's issues with Directv not having the channel. They do, you merely need HD ability to have it.

Now then, next week outside of Nigel McGuinness taking on Jay Briscoe, it also has Sara Del Ray & Claudio Castagnoli in action. These are two names I've heard a decent amount about. So on that note, I'm looking forward to next week's show.

I've also heard Ric Flair has signed some type of contract deal with R.O.H, and I can't help but think this will be awful. The last thing R.O.H needs to do, is go in line with the W.W.E and T.N.A.

jmt225,

HDNet is an HD ONLY CHANNEL, it has lots of original programming, but then I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Who in TNA or wwe wears eyeshadow?

As far as the gymnast commet, ALL the wrestlers on the show were skinny little lightweights, does roh even have any heavyweights? I have never seen roh before and I didn't have any bias for or againest it before the show, I want to like it, I really do.

I would have had a tag team match thrown in the mix for the first show.

Just so you know I have been ordering wrestling PPVs for more years than you have been alive, so I might know what kind of wrestling I like, I don't care what you or anyone else likes.

HDNet is an HD ONLY CHANNEL, it has lots of original programming,

No shit sherlock, but I'm sure everything they show could be done in a standard version.

Who in TNA or wwe wears eyeshadow?

The Undertaker?

And are you this homophobic that you won't like a wrestling company just because one guy wears eye shadow?

As far as the gymnast commet, ALL the wrestlers on the show were skinny little lightweights, does roh even have any heavyweights? I have never seen roh before and I didn't have any bias for or againest it before the show, I want to like it, I really do.

Did you not see Brent Albright? He didn't look like a "little" lightweight to me. And Nigel McGuiness, their World Champion, is pretty big, too.

Besides, what does a wrestler's size have to do with whether or not they know how to perform in a wrestling ring? I guess guys like HBK, Rey Mysterio and Ric Flair suck in your eyes too, huh?

I would have had a tag team match thrown in the mix for the first show.

Keep tuning in. ROH takes tag team wrestling more seriously then any other wrestling company in the US. That is a fact. And not only will you see a tag match soon, but their Tag Champs will actually main event a lot of the episodes I'm sure, because ROH takes their Tag Team Champions very seriously.

Just so you know I have been ordering wrestling PPVs for more years than you have been alive, so I might know what kind of wrestling I like, I don't care what you or anyone else likes.

Okay, even if that's true, you still didn't deny it that you went into this show expecting crap, and no matter what type of product they gave you, you were going to hate it just because you hated their fan base beforehand.

ROH treats their tag-team division with the respect and honor it deserves, and in my opinion the ROH World Tag-Team Championships ARE pro wrestling's true World Tag-Team Championships. I cannot wait until next week's episode, I have not been this excited about pro wrestling in quite some time, so much to look foward to!

I just wanted to stop by and say that if there is anyone who wanted to see this show and don't have Hdnet, ROH has posted the show on thier youtube page..

and by the way I also want to say that I enjoyed the show greatly, and I can't wait until next week to see nigel vs Jay Briscoe!!

ROH treats their tag-team division with the respect and honor it deserves, and in my opinion the ROH World Tag-Team Championships ARE pro wrestling's true World Tag-Team Championships. I cannot wait until next week's episode, I have not been this excited about pro wrestling in quite some time, so much to look foward to!

If I remember correctly, there is a tag team match on the 2nd episode. And yes, ROH does treat their tag team division with respect. Unfortunately, it's difficult to paint an accurate picture of that division when your #1 team is out of order. I can't wait for Mark Briscoe to heal up and get back into the ring so the world can see what a great team the Briscoe's truly are.

I have been watching more and more of Kenny King in FIP and in ROH and I am really taking a liking to him, hopefully he sticks around ROH full-time and begins to plant the seeds for a great future. He could benefit by winning the FIP Heavyweight Championship and defending it within ROH like Strong/Stevens used to, and that would build his stock up and make him a serious contender for the World's Championship eventually. Either way, this kid impresses me and I will be watching his career with a keen eye.....

TheOneBigWill’s ‘review’ from Ring of Honor: March 28th, 2009:

They opened the show with a recap of Last week’s Main Event, then jumped to explain this week’s Main Event. The two announcer’s open the show with explaining how it’s a ‘real treat’ to see the R.O.H Heavyweight Champion. They mention one of the two having a ‘little bit of a mouth’, but they weren’t clear on which. And both (Jay & Nigel) seem to have a mouth.

1. Eddie Edwards (w/ Larry Sweeney) v. Kevin Steen:
This match was apparently steaming from a feud between the Tag team champions, and a group called “Sweet & Sour, Inc”. Kevin Steen was being refered to as ’Canadian Bacon’, and Larry Sweeney is annoying as fuck.

Some great back and forth wrestling to open the show, but it takes some getting used to. Steen hit a cannon ball on Edwards, while he was laying in the corner. In the end, Steen hit an amazing finished, called the Package Piledriver. Winner: Kevin Steen

Interview w/ Nigel McGuinness: All I can say is, I was more than hyped to see this guy Wrestle, but I’m so much happier to know his ring-work isn’t equal to his horrible mic-work. Basically put, he more or less says if Jay Briscoe tries anything underhanded, he’ll kill him. He kept repeating “I’ll kill ya”. I’ve also noticed, British people (or at least those using the accent) can’t pronounce their “R’s” correctly.

At any rate, whats with the stupid promo of “I’ll kill ya”? I can see saying I’ll injury ya. I can understand saying I’ll beat ya. But does anyone really think you’re gonna “kill” anyone? Lame.

2. Sara Del Rey (w/ Larry Sweeney) v. Daizee Haze:
Holy crap, ‘Death Rey’ has some really huge thighs. This match was like watching a male version of Khali against Mysterio it seemed. Del Rey is massive, not just in height, but kinda in overall size. I’d like to see her against Awesome Kong.

Overall, this match was decent despite the size difference. In the end, it was Del Rey winning with a Royal Butterfly. Winner: Sara Del Rey

Interview w/ Mark & Jay Briscoe: Okay, are they white, Mexican, or black? Seriously!? They look Mexican, talk black and act like White-wannabe’s. I don’t mean that in a racist manner, but seriously.. It’s like they’re a Hines 57. Trying to be everything in one.

Interview w/ Prince Nana: Apparently Nana was thrown out of every arena R.O.H has ever been in, but he’s returned and apparently with a guy named “Bison Smith”. I assume he’s gonna be some type of assassin.

3. Alex Payne v. Claudio Castagnoli:
More or less, this was a glorified squash match with Claudio running rough shot over the R.O.H grad-school kid. Claudio’s gimmick is simply put “I’m very European”. What the fuck is that?! It’s like saying Finlay’s “very Irish”. That’s not a gimmick.

The announcer’s were also trying to plead with the kid (Payne) to simply lay down and lose. How is that encouraging at all? :lmao: In the end, Claudio hit a move he call’s the Riccola Bomb to win the match. Winner: Claudio Castagnoli

Main Event: Nigel McGuinness v. Jay Briscoe:
Nigel McGuinness has a great entrance, he’s such a cocky dick that you gotta love him. He wears the Heavyweight Championship backwards, mainly according to the announcer’s so he can tell the fans to kiss his ass.

Nigel is an amazing overall Wrestler. I’d argue that he’s like a Chris Benoit, William Regal, or even Kurt Angle as far as overall wrestling talent goes. That could be a bit much, but unlike any of the rest of them.. Nigel actually picks out a body part (at least in this match) and works on it throughout the entire match. Nigel worked over Jay’s arm, until he finally hit one of his finisher’s called the “Jawbreaker Lariat”, which was basically an even better version of the Clothesline from Hell. Winner: Nigel McGuinness

Next Week: Austin Aries v. “The American Dragon” Brian Danielson: This was the only match-up they announced for next week, but once again it’s leaving me wanting more because I want to see Brian Danielson in action. Last I seen/heard of this guy, he had a shaved head. Now he has kinda dangly long-ish hair. Overall, I’ve heard that out of the R.O.H talent.. The top two are a toss-up between McGuinness & Danielson. McGuinness was good, now I get the opportunity to see Danielson.

Overall Thoughts: The first half of the show should’ve been called “The Larry Sweeney Show feat. R.O.H talent.” The first two matches were with individuals he manages. I’m shocked he didn’t have even more air-time on this show. :rolleyes:

I felt last week’s show was a bit better than this week’s, but overall the pure Wrestling talent is amazing. The storylines are horrible, and they truly need to just take microphones away from the wrestlers, because almost none of them can cut solid promos.. But their actual in-ring talent is great to watch.

I didn’t care too much for any of the Wrestlers who worked this week, with exception of Nigel McGuinness. I was hyped to finally see Sara Del Rey, but after seeing her I know she’d never make it in the W.W.E because she doesn’t have a good enough “look”, and her talent (while great) isn’t anything that stands out from any other female wrestler.

I’d rate this show a decent 6 outta 10, with up-side still on their side. The one flaw I have this week, is it seems all the R.O.H Championships look the same. What’s the point in that?

TheOneBigWill’s R.O.H ‘review’ for April 4th, 2009:

Opening Segment:
The show opens on a huge note. Jerry Lynn was announced as the *NEW* R.O.H Heavyweight Champion. Defeating Nigel McGuinness at a live event prior to this show. (well, the airing of this show, anyways)

1. Sterling James Keenan v. Erick Stevens:
Before the match, in the notes of each Wrestler, it claims Erick Stevens is aligned with Roderick Strong & Brent Albright. (both faces?) Yet Stevens acted cocky and arrogant all throughout this match, especially in the opening bits where he mocked Keenan.

The match turned around mid-way through, as S.J.K called for a ‘time-out’ and got a heelish poke to the eyes. S.J.K used a few regular moves, nothing overly impressive or big, including a ton of chops. When Stevens attempted to fight back, S.J.K finally hit a decent S.T.O, followed by a submission like chokehold, in which he wrapped Stevens around his own neck, then used them to choke him.

Stevens once again got the upper hand, as he hit a “Coo-Coo”, (running splash in the corner) then a frog-splash like shoulder block from the top rope, and shortly thereafter, hit’s a “Doctor Bomb” to win the match. Winner: Erick Stevens

Interview w/ Bryan Danielson: When asked if debuting in the Main Event of their television show, Danielson answered with a somewhat nice promo. Explaining that he’s Main Evented all over the world, England, Japan, Mexico & even in R.O.H’s first show. So, to answer the question of being nervous, he ends by saying no. This follows through with explaining that Aries, should be nervous, however. Danielson explains why, saying he has explosive elbows, killer kicks and sick submissions. He finishes his interview by saying he’ll show tonight, why people call him the “Best Professional Wrestler, in the World.” And tonight, it isn’t about respect, it’s about who the best is.

2. Cheech & Cloudy (Up in Smoke) v. Dark City Fight Club:
At the beginning in the opening notes, “Cloudy” seemed scared of the camera, and I just laughed when I seen his opponents. I bet Cloudy loses all his “rain” long before the opening bell. lol This is the first Tag team contest of the R.O.H television program, and from a starting standpoint, from looks alone, I was incredibly impressed with the Dark City Fight Club.

Either before, or directly after the opening bell, Cheech ends up on the outside, while the D.C.F.C quickly works over Cloudy, with pure dominating power and overall strength. Some nice power moves all around. When Cloudy finally hit a hurricanrana, he got the tag out to Cheech, who then used one of his opponents against the other, ramming them together.

Cheech & Cloudy hit a double team move, which was a 6.1.9, and a dropkick to the back of the head. But quickly after that, the Fight Club regained a huge advantage, sending Cloudy outside the ring, then hitting a huge tag team power bomb/cutter finisher. Winners: Dark City Fight Club

Interview w/ Austin Aries: Aries was accused of being a fan favorite, before the television show, and now he’s not. He replies with how he’s Main Evented more times than he could remember, how he doesn’t care for the fans, and he’s the only man who’s held the Tag titles and World title more than anyone else currently in the company. He goes on to explain how he’s not “a Star” he’s “the star”. (I think that’s a slap to T.N.A, considering he was Austin Starr, there) Finally, in a cocky finish, he says how every minute a new sucker’s born.. And he believes he’s standing next to one right now.. Then smirks and walks away.

3. Necro Butcher v. Chris Hero:
Hey, Larry Sweeney’s back. Yay. (lame) He’s apparently the manager of Chris Hero as well. Sarah Del Ray also comes out with them. On the flip side, Necro Butcher mentions being seen on the Oscars. :lmao: Duh, as for those who don’t know, he has a prime spot in the movie ‘The Wrestler’ for being the guy who bloodies and beats the holy shit outta Mickey Rourke in the hardcore, violent Death match.

The match began almost like every other with just your basic “warm-up” set of simple moves. Hero hit a couple big boots to the side of the face of Nerco Butcher, only for Butcher to mock Hero as if the kicks had no effect. Butcher fought back with what I can only call unorthodox moves, complete with punches and kicks.

During the first part of the match, when Butcher went for a Tiger Driver, Sarah Del Ray & Sweeney distracted the official, long enough for Hero to hit a spinning elbow to the back of Butcher’s head, only for a 2-count. The action went to the outside, where Hero took apart the floor mat, but not much involved it as Hero then brought Butcher back in the ring.

Most of this match was controlled by Hero, as he slowly took apart Butcher, until the final stages when Butcher fought back, and introduced the HDNet viewers to his hardcore ways. Including a “chair body slam”. When Butcher went to get in the ring, Sweeney distracted Butcher long enough for Hero to put on a green “loaded” elbow pad, and level Butcher for the win. Winner: Chris Hero

4. Main Event: Bryan Danielson v. Austin Aries:
All I can say is.. WOW. Not just on the part of Danielson, but because T.N.A royally fucked up in letting Aries go. Before the match began, the fans brought a tear to my eye, for making me remember how great shows like this are.. With chants of “You’re gonna get your fucking head kicked.” (Directed at Aries)

An interesting side-note is at the beginning, before the bell rings.. the announcer's went on to explain if Danielson wants to be proclaimed the "Greatest Wrestler in the World" that he'd have to defeat Nigel McGuinness to become World Heavyweight Champion. (one small problem with that. See the opening note. :lmao: Taped shows w/ commentary already added FTL.)

This was a very great match, from beginning to end. Neither man got an upper hand in the beginning, as they “knew” each other very well. The fans were more into this match than any other I’ve seen in R.O.H yet. Aries went for a couple of his famous kicks, but couldn’t connect. Meanwhile, Danielson tried locking in a few different submissions, only for Aries to either escape or find the ropes quickly.

Aries and Danielson both hit some nice moves, from inside the ring/on ring apron, to the outside on their opponent. Aries hit a nice suicide dive, while Danielson drilled Aries with a knee to the face. Aries also locked in a nice illegal submission, called “the fish hook” but apparently it’s not allowed.

Back in the ring, Danielson went for the “Cattle Mutilation”, (which looks like a ground full-nelson, bridge) however Aries quickly knew how to stay out of it and counter it. Meanwhile, Aries went for his Brainbuster, but it continued to get countered with a knee to the side of the head, each time. In the end, it was Danielson locking in a Triangle Choke, causing him to tap out. Winner: Bryan Danielson

Overall Thoughts:
This week’s show, has been the best I’ve seen yet. A very nice 9 outta 10, I’ll give it. Missing only the perfect spot, due to still being in the beginning stages of wanting to debut their top talent, and roughly allow them to face people I’d assume won’t likely be used much. (ie. Squash matches, of sorts)

Out of this week’s action, I wasn’t too impressed with either of the first two wrestlers. Erick Stevens, or Sterling James Keenan. I’m sorry, Stevens for a supposed face, just pissed me off more than anything. And S.J.K wasn’t impressive at all.

While Cloudy & Cheech are a team to be forgotten to me, not to mention, is Cloudy even over the age of 18. lol I was highly impressed by the Dark City Fight Club. On a personal note, I would like to see the Briscoes wrestle, but I know one is injured. I guess an early “dream” match would be the Briscoes against Dark City Fight Club. That seems like it’d be a good showdown, if D.C.F.C were to continue being as impressive, and dominating as they were tonight.

While Necro Butcher leaves a lot to be desired, I never took him for a typical “Professional” Wrestler. He seems like the type of guy that was about roughly 4 years too late, to be the next stereo-typical E.C.W elitist as far as violent hardcore wrestling is concerned. He also looks like a bum who they pulled off the street, and offered to pay him, if he’d go out and beat people up. :lmao:

On the flip side of this, my first impression of Chris Hero was less than impressive, especially because I simply can’t stand Larry Sweeney. However, throughout this entire match, he grew on me.. And I honestly believe I’m gonna be a strong Chris Hero fan. While the beard is too much for me, and reminds me of what Snitsky & Mike Knox’s baby might look like.. To me, Hero seems like the type of guy that’d be perfect for W.W.E’s E.C.W, becoming Jack Swagger’s partner.. Then one day, rival.

And finally, my big wait of the night was finally seeing Bryan Danielson, and I was not disappointed. While Austin Aries has always been a relative fan favorite of mine, and I love his new look and apparent new “heel” attitude, I felt these two had a great match. Especially for television. (seemed like it’d be a p.p.v quality match.)

The two things I love the most about R.O.H right now, are first.. The fans. The fans don’t care, or seem to care, who’s face and who’s heel. They cheer, like old-school E.C.W fans cheer. For who’s simply better. And on that note, another tie-in favorite thing.. Face’s don’t stick to being double teamed and never breaking the rules. Heel’s don’t stick to constantly cheating to win. So really, outside of attitudes and possible “gimmick” attacks of fans.. There is no solid face/heel grouping. I like that.

Finally, my second favorite this is.. While Wrestler’s have finishing moves, not always do they have to use them, to win matches. Yet each finish to every match seems great enough that it doesn’t matter how it ended, the point is it ended on a great note. Whereas in W.W.E, it seems most of the time.. Botches can happen to finish matches, merely because it was the designed finisher finish of the match. (Hopefully that makes sense)

And that is my review for this week. Next week, it’ll be Jerry Lynn (w/ or without the Championship, likely without since I believe it was pre-taped before he won the title.) against the “tallest member” of Age of the Fall, Brodie Lee.

First, it's horrible that no one else has used this thread. Do people not watch Ring of Honor on HDNet? Or do people merely not have HDNet?

Anywho, I don't feel like doing a complete review of tonight's show, but I will recap the Main Event.. which was one fucking hell of a great match, and both T.N.A & W.W.E need to take notes - THIS is how a Fatal Four Way should fucking go!

R.O.H Heavyweight Championship: Four Way Match: Jerry Lynn (c) v. Bryan Danielson v. Tyler Black v. Austin Aries:

It should be noted that they're still running shows, via promoting Ric Flair. I know he said he's still doing a couple of the non-televised contracted shows, but why would you continue promoting someone on television, when he's publicly now stated he picked the W.W.E, over your Company? If nothing else, Austin Aries seems to be the logical fit to take the piss (as it were) right out of Ric Flair, by running him down and stealing all his thunder at once.

Anyways, as for this Main Event.. it was without question the greatest Four Way I've ever seen. And that says a ton, considering I'm comparing everything I've ever witnessed in Professional Wrestling history.. to this match.

Jerry Lynn was suppose to be a face, but I can't imagine he'll remain that way for long. The fans were fucking vicious toward him. Chants of "Fuck You, Jerry!" and "You're Gonna Get Your Fucking Head Kicked In!" were echoing throughout the entire match.. and not just at everyone, but at Lynn.. alone! Clearly the fans wanted Danielson as their Champion, and felt Lynn was robbing them of that.

I personally have changed my entire outlook on Austin Aries. I didn't even remotely have an opinion of him from T.N.A, I felt he was boring and unoriginal. Yet, in R.O.H he's amazing. They let him be free it seems, and open. And he's aggressive, cocky, and more or less like a small package of Edge rolled into one - with more cruiserweight style moves..

Tyler Black being from Iowa gains sympathy from me, but I'm starting to lose flavor in him. He did next to nothing in this match, and the few times he had advantages - he failed, and just more or less yelled a lot. The announcers were big on him, even claiming the fans were really behind him - but it sounded silent to me.

At one point, I can't remember how it went down with the exact Wrestlers, but two guys were laying on the mat side-by-side, and the other two were fighting on the turnbuckle. A back suplex happened, which caused both guys to come off the turnbuckle, landing directly down onto the two guys laying prone on the mat. It's as if they forgot to move - and Lynn, as a result, I believe suffered a massive bruise on his shoulder.

The ending of the match couldn't have been any greater. At one point, I thought Austin Aries was literally going to somehow win the Heavyweight Championship on a count-out. YES! A count-out?! Who knew they had those in Four Way matches. But yeah, 3 of the 4 guys were outside - the official was counting and made it all the way to 19 (by the way, they issue 20 counts, not 10) and Lynn made a dive back into the ring to beat the count.

The underlining story within the match, was that if either Aries or Danielson won, they'd make history by becoming the First-Ever 2-Time R.O.H Champion. In my own mind, I figure since Danielson looks to leave more of a mark than Aries, this is like the Jericho/1st-ever Undisputed title reign type of thing - why not give it to Aries, ya know.

Regardless, going in I also figured they wouldn't change the title on this show - and as the ending saw it, they didn't. Danielson had Aries tangled up, and went to arch over, but Lynn caught Danielson by the legs, then pulled him directly up, into a Cradle Piledriver for the victory.

In the end, the fans were booing the fuck outta Lynn. I could NOT understand it, especially since I thought R.O.H fans were like E.C.W fans, by way of having respect for true talent and great Wrestling. Turns out R.O.H fans are bitter, jealous assholes hell bent on wanting their specific 'face' to win - or else. :lmao:

I can only hope Lynn turns heel from this, as it could work greatly it seems. All in all, this match alone makes this the best HDNet taping I've seen to date. 10 outta 10

First, I would like to say that I LOVE ROH but I do not get HDNet... im not even sure if I know anyone who does. I am going to the show next saturday... its not a tv taping but still, its something. I do check this thread from time to time especially if I miss one of the shows though. So, I just would like to say thanks for keeping us all up to date. :icon_smile:

First, I would like to say that I LOVE ROH but I do not get HDNet... im not even sure if I know anyone who does. I am going to the show next saturday... its not a tv taping but still, its something. I do check this thread from time to time especially if I miss one of the shows though. So, I just would like to say thanks for keeping us all up to date. :icon_smile:

I noticed you are from New York, so I assume you will be going to the Manhattan Mayhem show on the 13th. The line up for that show looks really solid:

Lynn vs. Aries
American Wolves vs. Steen & Generico
Jacobs vs. Black
Danielson vs. Castagnoli vs. Brown vs. Cabana
Necro v. Rave

Plus a few more I don't care to look up right now. You should give is a complete run down on that show. I'm anxious to hear some of the results and how the matches play out.

Yep, im going to that show and bringing a friend along so more people can see a better product than WWE. Ill try and take notes during the show and email it to myself. Once during the intermission and once when I get home.

I noticed you are from New York, so I assume you will be going to the Manhattan Mayhem show on the 13th. The line up for that show looks really solid:

Lynn vs. Aries
American Wolves vs. Steen & Generico
Jacobs vs. Black
Danielson vs. Castagnoli vs. Brown vs. Cabana
Necro v. Rave

Plus a few more I don't care to look up right now. You should give is a complete run down on that show. I'm anxious to hear some of the results and how the matches play out.

BUMP?!

I don't watch the show (or ROH for that matter) as often as I should, but I did want to mention that last week's contest between Roddy and Aries was phenominal. Better than anything I've seen on Raw in a LONG time and a real thrill to see. Thank goodness for Youtube as I may have to do some backwatching and see what other awesomeness I've missed as I haven't watched anything since the first episode on HDnet. Anybody have any suggestions on which matches from the show I should go out of my way see?

I'll definately be keeping up with this broadcast from here forward though. That main event last week was a great showing by the ROH team.

So, I've come to the realization that most wrestling fans simply aren't aware, or don't know where to find ROH programming. Luckily, we have a kindred spirit on YouTube who is nice enough to upload every single episode of ROH on HDNet. I'm sure tonight's episode will be uploaded in a few days. Until then, I figured, why not post last week's episode? I'm going to go ahead and post every week from now on I think, just so that those of you who don't know where to find this product, can. So do yourself a favor, and sit back and watch some of these shows. You'll be surprised at how much you may enjoy them. The main event in this episode in particular is very good. This episode features:

• [*]Kevin Steen & El Generico vs Tony Kozina & Sami Callihan
    [*]D-Lo Brown vs John Kermin
    [*]A Tyler Black Promo
    [*]Roderick Strong vs Austin Aries

ROH on HDNet --- August 24th 2009

Enjoy!

I've been a big ROH fan since my first show in 2006 (Kings Of Wrestling losing the titles to Sydal and Daniels I believe.) I bought one or two DVDs to learn a little, and "tape" traded for a few.. but the quality was always so shitty I couldn't soundly invest.. I always go to the big shows when I can in Phila and NY, but I live in DC now, so there won't be much ROH for me in the future.. I was just recently looking for a way to watch these shows without having to pay on XBL.. so thank you SO much, xfearbefore! You're in the running for my hero atm haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back