[OFFICIAL] Michael McGillicutty / Kofi Kingston Discussion Thread

Last night was interesting for McGillicutty.

First, he got another chance to show his mic skills. I am really starting to like his attitude on the mic. Theres something about it that is fun to watch. During his 60 seconds, he called out The Miz for calling him "mediocre". I dont know if this was foreshadowing a future feud, which I doubt because Miz has the briefcase, or it was just a way to have him try and stir up some drama, but it was interesting.

Later, after he picked up another victory, this time over Cottonwood, he took over the top spot in the poll. Continuing on what I said in a previous post, the reaction was interesting. There was none. No reaction at all. At first I thought this was just because everyone was into seeing the results. But after Kaval was revealed at number two, he got a big pop.

McGillicutty needs to do something to get some kind of reaction from the crowd, or it could possibly come back to hurt him.

Last night was interesting for McGillicutty.

First, he got another chance to show his mic skills. I am really starting to like his attitude on the mic. Theres something about it that is fun to watch. During his 60 seconds, he called out The Miz for calling him "mediocre". I dont know if this was foreshadowing a future feud, which I doubt because Miz has the briefcase, or it was just a way to have him try and stir up some drama, but it was interesting.

Later, after he picked up another victory, this time over Cottonwood, he took over the top spot in the poll. Continuing on what I said in a previous post, the reaction was interesting. There was none. No reaction at all. At first I thought this was just because everyone was into seeing the results. But after Kaval was revealed at number two, he got a big pop.

McGillicutty needs to do something to get some kind of reaction from the crowd, or it could possibly come back to hurt him.

I really feel the reason McGillicutty isn't getting a response, like the example you gave, is because the fans don't know whether he's a face or a heel. This is wrestling, and the fact is is that the fans don't know whether they're suppose to cheer him or suppose to boo him, so they don't react as they might if this were different. Alex Riley got much the same response tonight, while Husky Harris whose defined himself clearly as a heel got a heel reaction. I think that's the problem with McGillicutty.

Personally, though, I really feel like McGillicutty is doing a great job on NXT and I've been impressed. He's clearly got wrestling skill, and I think he's been good on the mic too and with some more time and fine tuning he could be really good on the mic in the future. I really see McGillicutty going far in the future after NXT, whether he wins or not.

I really feel the reason McGillicutty isn't getting a response, like the example you gave, is because the fans don't know whether he's a face or a heel. This is wrestling, and the fact is is that the fans don't know whether they're suppose to cheer him or suppose to boo him, so they don't react as they might if this were different. Alex Riley got much the same response tonight, while Husky Harris whose defined himself clearly as a heel got a heel reaction. I think that's the problem with McGillicutty.

He pretty much has a heel gimmick. I guess they dont want him to say perfect, because it would be too much like his father, but he keeps on saying that he is great. He's pointing out that he is undefeated and has the cocky heel thing going.

But he also has Kofi as his pro. The heel-heel combinations such as the ones you listed work and the face-face combination got Lucky over for the most part. Joe isnt all heel, because he has shown some face characteristics at times, but it seems that he is mostly a heel. The face-heel combination hasnt worked this year. They need to decide on whether he is a face or a heel because its really keeping him from getting as over as he should be.

Yeah, agree on the whole heel/face issue he is having. When McGillicitty cuts promos he is definately in the heel mode and does remind me of his dad. After wins he also carries himself with a "What, did you expect me to lose?" kind of attuitude and it works. But then, he seems to get along very well when interecting with Kingston, who is super-face. That is what I think is leading to the confusion.

Last year, you had Danielson with The Miz and Danielson clearly hated being with him. But with McGillicutty and Kingston you have a rookie that, when on his own, acts the part of the heel, but then is all buddy-buddy with Kingston. It just muddles what they are trying to do.

#1, eh? He may be undefeated, but there's a reason he really doesn't get a reaction, he's boring. He's pretty good on the mic, pretty good in the ring, but really has nothing that makes him stand out, other than a completely ridiculous name. That's not enough to get you over.

Perhaps a new hairstyle of funny hat will do him wonders.

He just needs to re-use the Mr. Perfect gimmick. Yes it's cheap, but it's also memorable and a way to get over. Getting over and standing out from the others is all that matters, who cares if it's taking advantage of your father's legacy. DiBiase Jr.'s doing it and it's working great, because it's different from what others are doing, even if his dad did it 20 years ago.

Not every 3rd Gen star needs to rehash the old gimmicks to get by.... McGillicutty is a jump off point, like Rocky Maivia was... I am sure we will see some kind of play on it before long or a true gimmick name...

The natural successor gimmick was DiBiase, that makes sense with the trust funds stuff... for Joe to come out with the towel etc would be a bit wasted...

As for the face or heel, I think WWE themselves are undecided... I think they were hoping for a smark reaction, where the Hennig/Perfect chants made the job easy for them...

Well as much as he says he doesn't want to be his father I got that feeling they will make him go perfect throughout NXT to be like his father. McGillicutty is now my favorite to win the competition. He just has the total package and there really isn't much not to like about him except for his name.

McGillicutty impresses me for a reason which many are seeing as his downside:
-You don't know if he's heel or face.

And the reason I like this? With reports of WWE liking more realistic angles, why not apply this to some characters? I think a character that is so borderline like that is a breath of fresh air from characters who either do everything face or everything heel.

I feel he has the most believable finisher in NXT also with that neckbreaker.

Props.

Mike just reminds of all the other second/third gen wrestlers in the WWE: I really think they only snagged and are pushing him because of the penis he came out of. He is boring on the mic, his matches have been "eh" and overall, the guy is as bland as his name is bad.

Okay. I lie about "all" the other second/third gen guys. Husky is pretty damn good so far.

McGuillicuty is his mothers name, that is why he is using it.
Anyway, Mike McGuillicuty is one of my favourites, honestly, I don't really know why, he has the look, and he is good in the ring. His mic work is good, but he just stands out to me for some reason, it's probably his win/loss record. I think he will win this purely because he is just really good!

This guy seems to be the in ring guy of NXT.If you get into the ring with this guy you will lose, you could say he is perfect in the ring.But I don't like his promo that he does, it might just be me but he seems boring.In the ring he is great but not outside it, I have a feeling that this guy will take it out.

I absolutely love Michael McGillictutty! He is the reason I tune into Nxt every week. He is great in the ring and is improving on the mic and Is well on the way to become the next breakout star. The only fault is the name :banghead:!!! That is a horrible name!!! Joe Hennig was a perfect name

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back