[OFFICIAL] Michael McGillicutty / Kofi Kingston Discussion Thread

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
kofi-kingston.jpg

Mr. Boom Boom and Mr. Perfect's kid... interesting.

Kofi Kingston is definitely over as a babyface. He's a fan favorite and one of the more exciting superstars to watch from the new generation of the PG Era. But he's paired up with, what appears to be, a hybrid of either member of Legacy before the split. I know he has BIG shoes to fill and I really hope that he can get it done, but I feel that starting him as a heel might be a bad decision.

Do you all agree?

I think the most stupid thing about this already is that they aren't calling him by his real name. The same goes for IRS' kid...if you're going to acknowledge their legacy in the business than why give them some name out of left field? I really hate that the WWE is so intent on owning wrestlers careers that it sometimes feels like they are sabotaging them from the get-go by not allowing them to keep their identity.

With that said, I'm sure Joe will make it far in the competition, but I don't think Kofi is right for him. I think the "rookies" need to be paired with people that have considerably more experience then they do themselves, and/or be with someone so completely opposite that they have something to teach them ie: Miz's personality for Bryan. Kofi lacks skill on the mic and in my opinion is mostly over due to his image and high flying move set. Joe Hennig is already decent in the ring, and certainly grew up around one of the best personalities in the business, so I just don't see what all Kofi has to offer him as a pro.

Ugh and one last time...Mike McGillicutty, C'mon! What were they thinking?!

This is very interesting duo but what i do not understand why the hell do they have to change is name I understand the whole trademark thing and Vince wants to make money but really how dumb of a name is Michael McGillicutty :banghead:

The namechange was unnecessary. Absolutely unnecessary. You call a guy the son of Mr. Perfect, and then give him Beulah's last name. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Other than that, I'm excited to see where he goes. I was hoping he'd be in the rumored Fortunate Sons stable, but oh well. I've heard he's good in ring and on mic, and extremely over with the FCW crowd, so he could be a good cocky face.

As a big Kofi Kingston fan, anything that gives him more TV time is fine with me. Kofi is good in ring and on mic himself, and if McGillicutty is a face, they could have a good onscreen relationship.

Not a bad pairing.

So ridiculous he isnt under the Joe Hennig name. At first I thought awesome, cause come on its Mr. Perfects son. Then I see the name change and its like WTF. Same thing with Husky Harris. An unneeded name change. I was thinking its just a way to deny him the popular vote, then they announced he was Perfects son. So its like wow another fail by WWE with a pointless name change, prime example Daniel Bryan

I agree McGillicutty is a bad name for him. I understand WWE wanting to own the name but at least have him keep Hennig. It makes no sense for the WWE to tell the world he is Mr. Perfect's son and yet they have different last names. This also makes me wonder what will happen to the Ted Dibiase and Fortunate Sons storyline. Is that scraped now?

This is beyond ridiculous. If life was perfect; Grandpa Larry would be on the first plane to Stamford to give the Ax to Mr. McMahon. The poor choice of the name notwithstanding, he is the son of Mr. Perfect, grandson of Larry The Ax, and he will go very far in this competition. As far as Kofi is concerned, he might teach him a few things, but I believe the bloodline is going to shine overall.

I agree with the whole name change thing. How can you acknowledge him as Mr Perfect Curt Hennig's son and then name him something completely different? With IRS's kid I don't mind as much because he was never that big of a star, but this just ridiculous.

If Hennig has even a fifth of the talent his dad did then I see him doing well. I think Kofi is a solid choice as a pro for him because of how over he is and hopefully Hennig goes far in the competition.

i mean, honestly, mcgillicutty? do you WANT him to not be taken seriously? In his promo last night, he said "My name is Michael.....McGillicutty" and it just sounded so ridiculous.

The only thing I can think of is that either Larry or Curt Hennig had a "McGillicutty" gimmick at some point in their career, and that Joe is simply paying homage. Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense to identify him as a Hennig, only to call him something else.

I've never really watched FCW but I know who Mr. Perfect is and I was impressed with his little promo last night.

And.. I kind of like the name. Sure, it's absolutely ridiculous sounding -- but it sticks and you won't forget it. It's hilarious. I just keep saying it in my head. McGillicutty, McGillicutty, McGillicutty. Hahaha its a mouthful AND rolls off the tongue, kind of a paradox.

If they hadn't told us he was Joe Hennig first, sure. But if you identify the multi generation status (and this applies to Husky Harris too) then use it...Like with Reid Flair, who TNA just signed...if they identify him the son of Naitch, don't give him a character named Joe Brown.

Everything but the fact that they changed his name has me intrigued about this guy, I saw some video's of him and Chris Jericho in FCW, and I have to admit I'm most likely gonna be enjoying this guy a lot, he seems to have the best of chances in making it in this tournament, and I think he may very well end up in the final 3 or 4 before he even gets close to being eliminated.

But that's just because of his background, and the fact that he seems like the only damn guy I could be even remotely interested in, in this season with the exception of Kaval.

I'm not intrigued about Kofi Kingston being his pro although, I like Kofi, but he just doesn't seem to be what I would consider a good pro for him, Chris Jericho or Regal should have made a return and took him under his wing.

Solid pairing really. It's unclear if McGillicutty is a face or a heel, his vignette was quite ambiguous. At first glance, his name change seems pointless but maybe they will work it into an angle and he will use his own name of Joe Hening.
I was quite suprised at this inclusion as there was the rumoured Fortunate Sons stable with Brett and Ted DiBiase. I was really looking foward to that. I think that will happen after the competition when he reverts to his real name. Just my prediction.

I like the rookie and pro pairing but I dont I like the name. I don't really need to add anything to the name thing that wasn't said already above. But I like the paring because I think Joe can and will go far and if the same prize is the same as the 1st season competion then I think he should challenge kofi for the ic title and win it because that wat his dad was mostly famous for in the wwf as the intercontial champion.

lol I think he couldn't even pronounce his own last name haha. Seriously though, what a random last name, how does it connect to his father in anyway???

and also, you can tell micheal is slowly going bald on the top of his head, expect that to be his main target when it comes to insults from the other rookies

Well,they finally bring up Mr.Perfect's son,and they give him a crappy name.I was seriously laughing my ass off when I heard Kofi say his name.

"Ladies and gentleman,this is the son of Mr.Perfect Curt Henning,please welcome....Michael McGillicuty" WTF?

But seriously,Joe will go far in this season of NXT.He has all the tools to be great.Let's hope he uses them well.

Taken that it was Hennig's ideology that led to the name I think that aspect should be dropped. He doesn't want his career to revolve around his dad. He knows his dad was great but he wants to make his own name as much as he can.

Guys,

Please try not to leave just one-lined comments. This is a DISCUSSION thread. Anything you post should have a purpose of trying to DISCUSS the subject with others.

Hopefully he's not as boring as Dusty or Dibiase's sons. Those guys sure do suck. Didn't get much out of his initial little feature thing. "My dad yadda yadda yadda." Whatever. The name is far, far too silly as well. No way a guy named Michael McGillicutty every does anything worth jack shit.

Pairing someone with Kofi is obviously a good thing though. He'll basically be exactly the same as R-Truth was last season, since they are essentially the same person.

Well he has a shit name. Why not give him his real name if you are going to let everyone know he is Mr Perfect's son and not a shit name like Michael McGillicutty, but I disgress. He shoud be one of the better rookies on the show and if he has a little bit of talent that his father had then he should have a good career. I think it also is good that he doesn't resemble his father as they won't able to compare to the two as much and won't just live in his father's shadows. His look reminds me a bit of Matt Morgan's and Chris Benoit so obviously he isn't the best to look at.

Hopefully he gets to showcase all of his abilities on NXT and he should be a front runner in the competition.

I don't think the pairing will be as entertaining as others but I think this was just to Kofi more exposure and hopefully give a rub to Michael which he may need.

I think the only thing that will hold him back is his name. Honestly, he has the father that everyone knows about, he has a pretty good look, I've heard he's a good wrestler, but can you ever see him holding the WHC and on the nameplate it says Michael McGillicutty? It sounds and looks ridiculous. Do you think Shawn Michaels would be the success he became if he went by his real name, Michael Hickenbottom? No, the name has no star power. I can't see him winning because of his name, but hopefully he can overshadow that with ability.

I like this pairing more for Kofi than for Hennig. Finally Kofi will get some time on the mic, something we don't get to see often, and something he needs to work on. I don't expect these two to get along.

I was (and still am) excited about Joe Hennig in the WWE but the silly name change put a damper on it. Now i dont mind changing his name, even if they didnt need to change his name. But if your gonna do it give him a fucking cool name, and if your gonna acknowledge him being the son of Curt Hennig then give him the Hennig last name! I dunno what the WWE was thinking here but I think that this name change could be a HUGE mistake in the development of Joe Hennig, i have a feeling that he could be a star but no one, and i mean NO ONE can get over with a silly name like that.

I would imagine they will change it along the way. From what I am seeing it also seems that Husky Harris is IRS's son? With that being the case, both names are so over-the-top bad that i would be shocked if they weren't part of some storyline thing.

My grandfather, Larry "The Axe" Hennig.

My fatther, "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig.

I am Michael McGillicutty? :wtf:

His lineage is unquestionable, but the idea he needed a name change – especially one as ridiculous as being the first on-air McGillicutty since before Lucy married Desi – is as ridiculous a concept as diet soda if you ask me.

I dunno who the WWE has in the back creating these names, but this mix-and-match vanilla nonsense has got to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back