nWo - The Best Angle Ever?

I hate when people say that Bischoff stole the nWo angle from New Japan.

I bet the vast majority of you don't even know what the angle in Japan that people think he "stole" was.

For the record, being inspired by an angle and creating a different version of it is not stealing it. The angle that inspired the nWo was vastly different than the actual nWo angle that Bischoff ran with in WCW.

If you want to say he stole it though, then Vince stole "Mr. McMahon" from Eric Bischoff. Mr. McMahon was still playing the clean cut announcer when Bischoff became the heel authority figure that started screwing WCW wrestlers out of titles and going on ego power trips.

The NWO was a great angle for a couple of months.The problem was it was the same thing every week, someone gets beat up and the following week they were NWO.The greatest angle of all time the Montreal screw job. It has stood the test of time,to this day it is talked about and got much more mainstream media attention then the NWO ever did plus it spawned the Mr. McMahon character.

Except it wasn't an angle?

The Montreal Screwjob was an event that occurred.

I realize that I didn't fully answer the OP's question. I think the nWo is probably the 2nd biggest angle in wrestling behind Rock & Wrestling. What the nWo did for WCW was immense, but it also capitalized on the change in the industry that was going on organically. The nWo didn't create that change it just channeled it.

Rock & Wrestling and the WWF completely changed everything.

I don't know much about the Rock N Wrestling...It was a cartoon in the mid eighties? How is it an angle? Not trying to question but just wondering if you could explain what exactly the Rock N Wrestling angle was. I have never really heard too much about it. I haven't seen much from the WWF before 1988.

I don't know much about the Rock N Wrestling...It was a cartoon in the mid eighties? How is it an angle? Not trying to question but just wondering if you could explain what exactly the Rock N Wrestling angle was. I have never really heard too much about it. I haven't seen much from the WWF before 1988.

Here's a link to a quick wiki story. It's obviously not the most in depth but it gives you an idea. Rock & Wrestling was more than just the show, it was an era. The whole thing was an angle that mixed wrestling with mainstream media and got the WWF over at a really high rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_professional_wrestling_boom#Rock_.27n.27_Wrestling_Connection

Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection

While Crockett created a nationwide company, Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation would go on to a period of unprecedented success in the mid 1980s.[3] The success was in part precipitated by the "Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection", a period of cooperation and cross-promotion between the WWF and elements of the music industry.[3] The idea was formed by WWF employee Lou Albano who met singer Cyndi Lauper on a plane to Puerto Rico.[3] Lauper asked Albano to appear as her father in her video for the single "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" in 1983.[3] McMahon later booked Lauper and Albano on a segment of Piper's Pit.[3] During the segment, the Rock 'n' Wrestling storyline began when Albano called Lauper a "broad", while Lauper retaliated by hitting him with her purse.[4] She then challenged Albano to a match, where the female wrestler of his choice would fight the female wrestler of her choice.[4] Lauper chose Wendi Richter, while Albano chose The Fabulous Moolah.[4] The match was scheduled for July 23, 1984 at The Brawl to End it All, broadcast live on MTV.[4][5] During the match, Lauper interfered on Richter's behalf by hitting Moolah in the head with her purse, dubbed "The Loaded Purse of Doom".[4] At the conclusion of the match, Richter had defeated Moolah for the WWF Women's Championship, which the WWF had promoted as Moolah holding for the previous 28 years.[6] Meanwhile, the connection between Lauper and the WWF continued with the video for the song "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough", "Time After Time", and "She Bop", all of which featured WWF wrestlers.[6] Richter later had a match with Moolah's protégé Leilani Kai at The War to Settle the Score, with Lauper and Moolah in their respective corners.[7] Kai won the title with the help of Moolah.[7] Richter and Kai had a rematch at the inaugural WrestleMania, where Richter regained the title.[8]

On January 3, 1984, Hulk Hogan returned to the WWF. Hogan had been fired from the company by Vince McMahon, Sr. for appearing in the film Rocky III (seen by the elder McMahon as a breach of both etiquette and kayfabe), but was welcomed back to the company by Vincent K. McMahon. McMahon was able to parlay the mainstream popularity Hogan had gained from his role in Rocky III into an even greater level of celebrity. On September 14, 1985, Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling, an animated television series starring the character of Hulk Hogan, premiered on CBS. The series ran until June 6, 1987, in the process expanding Hogan's young fanbase.[9]
The inaugural WrestleMania
Main article: WrestleMania I

To counter the NWA's primary supercard, Starrcade, the WWF created its flagship show, WrestleMania, held at Madison Square Garden and available on 135 closed-circuit networks. The future of not just McMahon's national experiment, but also the WWF, the NWA, and the whole industry came down to the success or failure of McMahon's groundbreaking sports entertainment concept. WrestleMania was a pay-per-view extravaganza (most areas of the country saw WrestleMania available on closed-circuit television) that McMahon marketed as being the Super Bowl of professional wrestling. The concept of a wrestling super card was nothing new in North America; the NWA had been running Starrcade a few years prior to WrestleMania, and even the elder McMahon had marketed large Shea Stadium cards viewable in closed circuit locations. However, since McMahon wanted to take the WWF to the mainstream, he tried to target to a public who were not regular wrestling fans. He drew the interest of the mainstream media by inviting celebrities such as Mr. T and Cyndi Lauper to participate in the event. MTV, in particular, featured a great deal of WWF coverage and programming at this time. The show was a huge success with Hulk Hogan, who won in the main event, going on to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated. After the swimsuit issue, it was the magazine's best seller. Professional wrestling began to become mainstream, thanks, in large part, to the appeal of Hulkamania among children. Large television networks took wrestling into their weekly programming, including Saturday Night's Main Event, premiering on NBC in 1985.

WrestleMania's popularity and ratings appeal made wrestling a television mainstay. Professional wrestling, now synonymous with the WWF, began to throw more grandiose matches. In 1985, the first-ever pay-per-view wrestling event, "The Wrestling Classic", took place. The concept, a one-night tournament, was a huge success and would become a regular event, titled King of the Ring. Later, Pat Patterson would invent the Royal Rumble match, another grand invention showcasing the most talent.

Except it wasn't an angle?

The Montreal Screwjob was an event that occurred.

I realize that I didn't fully answer the OP's question. I think the nWo is probably the 2nd biggest angle in wrestling behind Rock & Wrestling. What the nWo did for WCW was immense, but it also capitalized on the change in the industry that was going on organically. The nWo didn't create that change it just channeled it.

Rock & Wrestling and the WWF completely changed everything.

Part of me agrees and disagrees with you about Montreal. I see where you are coming from with it being an event that occurred but Vince really did a lot to make it an angle and it worked. We heard about Montreal for years after it happened. Which I find funny because like you said it was one event. If you see it as an angle it has to be top 5 of all time.

I just can't help feeling that one day Bret is going to admit that he was in on the whole Montreal thing. That is probably the mark in me but I have always thought that Bret was in on it the whole time.

There were solid points made about WCW. Bishoff's Monday Nitro's were basically like 2 hour long pay per views with commercials. He won the Monday Night ratings but couldn't come close on the Pay Per View ratings. Bishoff/NWO/WCW is just not even on the same level of what Vince has done over the years. Guys like the Rock, Stone Cold, Rowdy Piper, Hogan had legitimate acting careers. What last effects has the NWO had? Absolutely none. Just 3 pages on a thread in a pretty active forum.

NWO was real cool at the time, but years later what did it do for any of those guys? Not a damn thing.

Certain angles like Stone Cold at King of the Ring, or the Rock vs whoever ended up being so much more important than the NWO.

I think it's the most historic and biggest angle of all time because it was such a game changer. I can't think of any other angle that had the same impact.

I wasn't just the Austin/Mcmahon angle that changed things for WWF. That was just the biggest angle among several angles(involving DX, Foley, Taker) that won them the ratings war.

I started watching Raw in 97 and when I watch the Nitro dvd, boy do I wish I had watched Nitro instead. For almost two years there it seems like WCW did everything better as far as the tv-show goes.

There were solid points made about WCW. Bishoff's Monday Nitro's were basically like 2 hour long pay per views with commercials. He won the Monday Night ratings but couldn't come close on the Pay Per View ratings. Bishoff/NWO/WCW is just not even on the same level of what Vince has done over the years. Guys like the Rock, Stone Cold, Rowdy Piper, Hogan had legitimate acting careers. What last effects has the NWO had? Absolutely none. Just 3 pages on a thread in a pretty active forum.

NWO was real cool at the time, but years later what did it do for any of those guys? Not a damn thing.

Certain angles like Stone Cold at King of the Ring, or the Rock vs whoever ended up being so much more important than the NWO.

WCW did beat WWF in ppv-buys in 1997. Starrcade outperformed Mania, Halloween havoc outsold RR and Survivor series. So Bischoff probably did beat them in PPVs.

The NWO angle was awesome but in my opinion the greatest angle was when the 4 Horsemen locked Dusty Rhodes in the cage and beat him down setting up the Flair/Rhodes Starrcade 85 main event. The set up to this was pure gold. Flair had a feud going with the Russians that led to a Flair/Nikita Koloff cage match. After the match the Russians came in and attacked Flair, Rhodes came in and saved Flair then the Horsemen came in and attacked Rhodes. The fans went nuts and it took the Horsemen 45 min just to get back to the locker room. That set the Horsemen up as the most hated heels in the business.

The NWO angle is by far the best for so many reasons. One, it was new. This was at a time when only a few ppl knew of the "inside" workings of wrestling. Also, there was no No Compete clauses back then. So everyone saw Razor & Diesal on Raw one week, then the next Hall suddenly shows up on Nitro the next. That added to the shock value, and a bit of "are they really invading" kind of vibe.

The internet wasn't as common back then, as it is today. And for those few who were online, it was all dial-up. So again, nobody knew what was going to happen, who would show up.

Then finally, Hogan's huge heel turn. Aside from his early AWA days, everyone knew Hogan as the Superhero Face. Having him turn into a bad guy, and his promo at BATB made the angle all more gold. Then they did what all the other invasion angles haven't done since. The NWO kicked, and dominated WCW. Thus setting up what should have been the epic end between Hogan, and Sting at Starcade. Of course, they botched that ending up, and watered down the NWO so much with all these mid-card jobbers.

Finally, the nWo was the spark that launched wrestling into the big time mainstream. Because of the nWo, The Attitude Era was born along with Stone Cold, and The Rock. So yeah, the nWo in my opinion is the greatest angle ever.

Incorrect the nWo angle was followed up on - do I really need to elaborate on how it was because you didn't watch it?

#1 The Outsiders invade & engage the marks as cool heels.
#2 Hogan jumps on bandwagon, turns heel forming nWo.
#3 nWo take over.
#4 nWo battles WCW.
#5 Problems develop in nWo causing a split.
#6 nWo Hollywood battles nWo Wolfpac.
#7 Both nWo factions merge back together due to WCW gaining strength with Ric Flair becoming WCW President.

People say nWo was stale in 1999 yet the ratings don't reflect this.

Average rating for NITRO in Nov/Dec 98 was 4.24 while the average rating for NITRO in Jan/Feb 99 was 4.75 meaning the average rating for NITRO increased 0.51 after Finger Poke of Doom. Also worth noting January 99 was the second best ratings month in history of NITRO with a 4.85 average (August 98 was best ratings month in NITRO history with a 4.98 average) plus the 5.7 rating NITRO drew on Feb 8, 99 was second highest rating NITRO EVER drew in the history of the show.

Average rating for NITRO in 98 which was WCW’s most successful financial & ratings year was a 4.43. Average rating NITRO during first 4 months of 99 was a 4.45.

nWo dominated WCW TV in Jan, Feb & March 99 & was still prominent in April 99. Long term injuries to Luger (biceps tear in Jan), Hall (personal issues in March) Hogan (knee surgery in April) plus Steiner (back injury in May) brought premature end to nWo in May 99 which coincidentally just so happens to be when ratings noticeably & significantly went down.

So WCW didn't drag it out until then end. From early May 1999 to March 2001 the nWo was only brought back for 3 months by Vince Russo from Late December 1999 to March 2000. Hardly dragged out until the end like you claim.

Eric Bischoff didn't steal the UWFI vs. NJPW fued from NJPW he simply took the concept & made a different & better version of it. Ask yourself this why did Masahiro Chono take WCW's nWo concept back to NJPW in early 1997 to form nWo Japan? The nWo was the kickoff off the late 90's boom period & while Hogan's heel turn was a big deal the impact that Nash & Hall had (even more so then Hogan) in terms of changing the direction of business cannot be denied.

Also what on earth are you going on about? On the night of 22nd September 1997 when Austin stunned McMahon at MSG the WWF got a 2.2 rating compared to WCW's 3.7 rating. WWF didn't beat WCW in ratings for another 6 months, so NO Austin stunning McMahon the first time in MSG DID NOT "bring ratings that neither company had seen, before."

You say best angle ever was Bret Hart vs. Austin (your subjective opinion) & highest drawing was Austin vs. McMahon & that nWo angle doesn't fit either one of those spots. Erm...nWo angle is best angle in history (my subjective opinion) & just because you named a great feud that was perhaps only other angle that drew more money then nWo angle doesn't mean that it was better.

Thank you!

One of the biggest myths is that the Fingerpoke ended WCW. It didn't. I may not fully agree with it but at the same time it did tighten a lot of the angles and streamline the myriad of factions. And the first couple of months of 99 were pretty damn good. Minus the first hour being all promos, the reasoning being that Nash was upset because management was getting pissed about the declining ratings and he did that to supposedly show that no matter what was done the ratings would not budge. They didn't.

Anyway, as to the nWo and I am sure it has been said before, but it revolutionized wrestling. That Summer of 96 was absolute perfection. It even made me a fan of Hogan....for awhile. The reactions of the announcers and wrestlers and how it played out was beautiful. It not only made wrestling must see but forced the WWF to change and without Nitro and the nWo, the wrestling landscape would be a lot different today. And the great moments of that decade would not exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back