• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NorCal's Podcast

I will be highly impressed with anyone who makes it through both of episodes 13 and 14. Not that they are bad by any means, they are actually probably my best performances as a host, and the best shows we have done content wise. They just uh....yea, you will see. LOL

Great stuff. Got some interesting looks from guests walking through, wondering WTF I'm listening to :lmao: Definitely want to hear more about Tours though. Probably the one section of all this that I was just about clueless on. I mean, I've heard about the whole thing, read a little about it, but clearly missed huge portions of information there. Will do some independent reading over the next few days.

Episode 15 is my best attempt at a retrospective of the life and legacy of Dusty Rhodes.

Of the 4 I've listened to, this is the best one. Very raw, which perfectly suits the man. Hopefully, though, there won't be a need for regular tribute episodes.

Great stuff. Got some interesting looks from guests walking through, wondering WTF I'm listening to :lmao: Definitely want to hear more about Tours though. Probably the one section of all this that I was just about clueless on. I mean, I've heard about the whole thing, read a little about it, but clearly missed huge portions of information there. Will do some independent reading over the next few days.

Tours is fascinating for so many other reasons over and above its depiction (rightly or wrongly) as the battle that stopped the Muslim advance in Europe.

There the background of the Muslim invasion of Spain, which includes Muslim defeats by the Berbers, then the conversion of the Berbers, a Romano-Visigothic governor helping the Muslims cross to Spain, the Visigothic civil war and the survival of the kingdom of Asturias in the north west with its victory in the Battle of Covodonga (which might be my favourite name of a battle outside Rourke's Drift).

Then there is the mess that is the Frankish kingdom at the time with various independent dukedoms supposedly recognising the suzerainty of the Merovingian king, but not really. Those kings were not even recognised as rulers in their own palace, hence the rise of the Mayor, Charles (soon-to-be) Martel. Strangely though, the mess of the Franks actually worked to their advantage for they had spent so much time fighting/resisting each other than they were heavily militarised, allowing a regional duke like Odo of Aquitaine to defeat Muslim raiders over a decade before Tours. The Muslims having to deal with Odo allowed Charles time to build a strong, disciplined corps in time to win the Battle of Tours/Poitiers, although it was almost certainly not the great 'Fight for France' that it became viewed as.

Барбоса;5235701 said:
Strangely though, the mess of the Franks actually worked to their advantage for they had spent so much time fighting/resisting each other than they were heavily militarised, allowing a regional duke like Odo of Aquitaine to defeat Muslim raiders over a decade before Tours. The Muslims having to deal with Odo allowed Charles time to build a strong, disciplined corps in time to win the Battle of Tours/Poitiers, although it was almost certainly not the great 'Fight for France' that it became viewed as.

This is why they say "Those who don't learn from history, are doomed to repeat it".

The entire Middle East conflict today, is similar, in that there's been so much in-fighting, that they've grown to a strength we certainly didn't predict in 2003.

And, in relation to the podcast itself, this is a large part of why Sparta (and the other city-states) were so strong. They had years and years and generations of nothing but war. Not even training. Outright war.

And, in relation to the podcast itself, this is a large part of why Sparta (and the other city-states) were so strong. They had years and years and generations of nothing but war. Not even training. Outright war.

I would definitely argue that that applies to the Greek city states as a whole, not just Sparta. They may not have had a standing army like the Spartans, but even mercantile states like Athens or Corinth or the smaller cities had a force of hoplites that was more than a hastily raised militia.

Indeed, the Spartans had been something of a victim of their own success and isolationist policies when it came to war. Having subdued the entire Peloponnese (isolating Argos) and not being overly willing to go beyond its boundaries, the Spartans could go extended periods without fighting a war.

That, and many states were simply scared of standing up to the Spartans militarily. I remember reading of the shock that was felt in the 450s when the Athenians offered battle to the Spartans at Tanagra. The Spartans won but there was more talk about how even taking the field showed the growing confidence of Athens.

We got to hold on to this exclusive content baby! A lot of people have expressed excitement and interest in the Tours episode.

Even though we will probably have 8 more history episodes before we get to it.

BTW, Monday's release is gonna be a mega episode.

FINALLY getting pro wrestler "Body Guy Johnson" as a guest, and will include my review of Beast In The East.

Барбоса;5235849 said:
I would definitely argue that that applies to the Greek city states as a whole, not just Sparta. They may not have had a standing army like the Spartans, but even mercantile states like Athens or Corinth or the smaller cities had a force of hoplites that was more than a hastily raised militia.

Indeed, the Spartans had been something of a victim of their own success and isolationist policies when it came to war. Having subdued the entire Peloponnese (isolating Argos) and not being overly willing to go beyond its boundaries, the Spartans could go extended periods without fighting a war.

That, and many states were simply scared of standing up to the Spartans militarily. I remember reading of the shock that was felt in the 450s when the Athenians offered battle to the Spartans at Tanagra. The Spartans won but there was more talk about how even taking the field showed the growing confidence of Athens.

I had said "(and other city-states)" :suspic: :lmao:

That is news to me, about Tanagra. I'll...

Hey goddamit HEY!!

Save it for the podcasts! Cease and desist!

Nevermind :lmao: I'll just wait for the episodes! Listening to 17 now.

I've seen 1 PROGRESS show. I was sold instantly. If I was not broke, I'd subscribe to their network.

Listening to the show now.

Am I the only one having an issue where the damn thing just restarts from the beginning after like 20-30 mins.?

What are you listening on? Sometimes my Ipod just goes fucking crazy and it needs a restart or re-sync and itll act right.

Its the only thing I can think of, since I changed nothing at all about how I edited the file or uploaded it. Ive had feedback from folks already who listened to the show and had no issues

What are you listening on? Sometimes my Ipod just goes fucking crazy and it needs a restart or re-sync and itll act right.

Its the only thing I can think of, since I changed nothing at all about how I edited the file or uploaded it. Ive had feedback from folks already who listened to the show and had no issues

New laptop, it could very easily be my unbelievably awful internet too, in fact that's what it probably is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back