No Passion - No Glory

Danmen001

Championship Contender
Now first off, I would like tp point out that my personal opinion on wrestlers, is that I respect them if they are dedicated to the business (that's apart of it anyway). I have come to realise that wrestlers mean that they are really enjoying and bringing everything they can to what they do when they come from behind the curtains and entertain us week in week out.

Which brings me to my point, if a superstar doesn't have passion, does he deserve to get pushed?

For example, a superstar like John Morrison. A star who I used to think was the shit, but now not so much. I remember hearing on ECW one week Matt Striker (or Grish) saying something along the lines of 'having lots of extra cirricular activities, but he finds time in his busy schedule to come here to ECW every week'. Now, that can easily imply that Morrison, while likes the business doens't have the straight out want to do it. Also you can look at his push, it isn't there, and most of the IWC says he has all the talent in the world to go ahead and become and major star. But the fact remains he isn't really dedicated to the business, and that seems to be showing on his push.

On the flip side of that, we have - wait for it - John Cena. Known as one of the most dedicated stars in the history of the WWE. Totally clean, and a representative of what the WWE stands for: Dedication, entertainment - giving up their lives to do it, and a fantastic worker in all areas. Look where he is (err, ignoring the current injurt status): Main Event superstar, a star who still has alot left in his career before he has to retire, a guy who already in his career has acheived more than many others will ever get.

In my opinion, passions matters. Not only does it help with the work ethic of the star, but you know they aren't just doing it because they can. I would give so much to be able to do what they do, because I love wrestling. Because I love wresting so much, I'd like to think the stars do as well - to be honest, I'd be pretty sick knowing some stars just do it because they have the ability to, even if they don't really care.

If you look at the Morrison/Cena situation, it looks like the staff care for dedication as well.

Yes I totally agree. The superstars that have the passion and the love for the business, are obviously the ones who are more determined to succeed. Quite frankly, if they don't have the passion for the business, they shouldn't be wrestling. It's like a job, sure people will say they hate their occupation, but if they don't leave or change jobs it means they obviously enjoy it to an extent. If the fans have passion for wrestling, I sure hope that most wrestlers enjoy it as much if not more than the fans, after all the fans are why they have a job in the first place.

However, there are examples of wrestlers who don't have much passion for the business, but still managed to succeed. Batista is a great example of this. He was a bodybuilder not long ago, but then decided to become a successful main event superstar for the WWE. Sure, he obviously doesn't hate his job, but you just can't compare his passion to John Cena's or Triple H's. Now its been rumored that he's thinking about retiring. Guys like Ric Flair didn't retire until they were in their sixties. Thats the difference between modern day and past generation wrestlers.

I think a lot of it has something to do with the storyline that has been taking place in TNA at the moment. Past generation wrestlers were dedicated and loved what they were doing. They loved performing infront on fans, it was their obsession. Not all succeeded, but not everyone does succeed in any business. It has been said that some of the current superstars would much rather listen to their iPod than to view tapes of their past matches to look for improvement. They are the ones who wont succeed and they are the ones who don't have the desire for the business like others do. I remember a line Ric Flair said once, "It doesn't matter if there are 2 people in the arena or 2000 people in the arena, I will still perform to the best of my ability and I will enjoy it just as much". Wrestlers should use that line for inspiration.

You look at John Cena. He has improved drastically from when he first started out in the WWE in 2002. 6 years later, he is the biggest superstar in the entire company. He's not the biggest, the baddest or even the best wrestler, but he is the top entertainer in the WWE and I know it's because he worked his ass off for 6 years straight to be the best he can possibly be. His return at the 2008 Royal Rumble was a big moment for me, because it truly showed me how determined he was to come back so quickly despite suffering an injury that was fairly severe.

So yes I do think that if a superstar has no passion or even limited passion for the business, they won't succeed. Some guys from the 'new' generation of wrestlers may be talented, but talent means nothing when you have great passion for what you do every single week of your life.

I said this in the Miz thread but I shall repeat myself somewhat here, I have no sympathy for talented workers not being pushed because they dont care, I remember everyone saying that HHH buried Carlito and at the time I thought "well why shouldnt he, Carlito obviously doesnt give a fuck", the WWE obviously care about Carlito though as they are trying to motivate him.

Back to my original point, The Miz for example has passion for wrestling, this is why The Miz became a tag team champion and has been in ECW main-events ever since moving to ECW while all this was happening Shelton Benjamin was losing everyweek on Monday Night Raw, Shelton has more talent than the Miz but The Miz was working harder (and in all fairness gets a better reaction from the crowd).

So yes I think having passion for wrestling helps, there have been a few that have got away with not caring too much, but as a fan you can see whether a superstar is into what they are doing or not, such as Carlito's recent rejuvenation or John Cena all the time and even Batista now. The fans will react more for somebody who they can see is giving it their all out there, so in the long run I think it balances itself out pretty nicely.

I think passion really helps when you want to suceed in wrestling and vital. I pretty much think every star has some passion for the business or they wouldn't have worked their asses off for years training and stuff, but I think once you experience the corprate and backstages side of wrestling our passion may suffer. Somebody like Carlito who was born into wrestling obviously has passion for the business but the politics of wrestling probably makes him somewhat fustrated. The thing is all the new guys expect to be top stars now in 2-3 years because people like Cena, Orton, & Batista became huge stars but back in the days you had to push and work hard to get a top spot. Edge & Jeff Hardy have been with the WWE almost 10(Jeff More)and they obviously have passion and work hard to get where they are. The young stars can't lose their passion and drive just because they are not instant main eventers.

Also it's just like a job in real life, you usually get father and enjoy it more if you have the passion, will, and drive.

I think for anyone to make it to even the mid-card they have to have some passion in what they do. Do they reach a point where they start to believe their hype, or that they're better than they're been made to look?

Take a look at Carlito and Morrison for your examples. Morrison is good, no question. He's improved leaps and bounds since being Bischoff's bitch for a month before disappearing, and I'm glad. He has potential. But you can't help get the feeling he thinks he is the hype. He's good, but he's not ready
Likewise with Carlito. Solid heel, good on the mic, but you can't shake the feeling he thinks he is IT. He feels he should be main-eventing and he isn't good enough yet, but wants the fame NOW.

You want passion...I think the guys with the most passion are the ones who know they won't ever be the face of the company - Kane, Mark Henry, Finlay, Charlie Haas. All guys who have more than paid their dues to WWE, but still stick it out because they enjoy the thrill and love what they do. The likes of Haas are gifted enough in the ring and could 'do a Carlito' if they wanted, but they don't.

As for Cena...well it's easy to have passion when you're one of the top guys. Harder to fight it out and keep trying in the midcards, and that's what the up-and-comers need to realise

I'd have to agree with this. You look at guys like Cena, who hustles his butt off, trains hard, and does everything in his power to entertain the fans and put on a good show. That's what got him to where he is now. Now you look at some of the other guys that just whine and bitch about not being in the spotlight, but the question is, do they hustle hard? Do they put in their extra hours in their schedule to train or work out? No. They just seem to either sit around and wait for creative or Vince to make them a star, or they're just in the business so they could make more money than they could ever imagine while putting in the least amount of effort. You don't become champion by sitting on your ass and wait for a title shot. You have to EARN it. You have to NEED it. Show the boss that you really, REALLY want that title shot and bust your ass in the weight room and the ring, and you'll be earning your shot in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back