• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

No Mercy: World Heavyweight Championship Ladder Match: HBK Vs. Jericho

gunnerg

Dark Match Jobber

If World Heavyweight Champion Chris Jericho thought he was finished with Shawn Michaels after winning the gold at Unforgiven, Raw General Manager Mike Adamle certainly helped him realize otherwise, penning Raw’s main event at No Mercy: Jericho vs. Michaels in a Ladder Match for the World Heavyweight Championship

I really hope HBK wins this one and gets one last title run.

Im looking forward to this match. It's definetley could be the highlight of the feud. But I just don't see HBk winning it they have seemed hesitant to give him the title over the past 3 years. the Batista and Jericho thing has kinda been bulding up and I see Batista beating JBl and facing Jericho for the title, that would be the reason i don't see HBk winning cuz WWE prolly wouldnt put him in a fued with Batista or JBL.

No, Jericho needs to win this one. Jericho hasn't really had a victory over Micheals. That one match where the ref stopped it, that doesn't count, Jericho just beat him senseless. Micheals has the clean W's in their big ppv matches. I was hoping for a three stages of hell for this one as I'm sure it would've been a better way to end their feud and it would've worked alot better because Jericho would've been able to get that clean pin(s) on Micheals, which he can't do in this match. Either way I am still really looking forward to this match and I'll be happy for whoever wins. Micheals more than deserves a title run of his own, I just don't think the WWE will be pulling the plug on Jericho this soon.

Since I doubt they'd do Batista/HBK or JBL/HBK, the most likely scenario is that Jericho wins this match against Michaels. I'd prefer Michaels to have a title reign, but that sort of makes Jericho look bad, so I'd rather them continue to feud for a while with Michaels winning the title later on. Michaels can feud with Cade as filler until he can continue having title matches against Jericho.

What's a little odd, though, is that we have Cyber Sunday coming up. If they do Jericho vs Batista there, they can't repeat it at Survivor Series because it would lessen the impact. Jericho/Batista could work for Survivor Series, but not if they do it on Raw, then on Cyber Sunday, and then on SS. Nobody would give a shit by then. And now that they're having a gimmick match at No Mercy for the title, what is the stipulation they'll choose for the title match at Cyber Sunday?

Personally, I think WWE dropped the ball on this one. With Orton still being injured, it would make perfect sense to have No Mercy be Jericho defending against Punk, with Michaels coming back to challenge Y2J at Cyber Sunday (and giving the fans a choice between 3 gimmicks for the match), along with a Batista/JBL match at Cyber Sunday for the #1 contender spot (and thus, a Batista/Jericho match at Survivor Series). Now, announcing that Batista or JBL would face HBK or Y2J means they've painted themselves into a corner. Either they repeat Batista/Jericho twice in a row (with nothing new for Survivor Series), or they have HBK vs JBL and make Jericho lose his title extremely early, which hurts his credibility.

I'm really hoping that we don't get a repeat of Jericho/Batista for both Cyber Sunday and Survivor Series. At the same time, I hope we don't have Jericho/Batista for Cyber Sunday and follow it up with Jericho/Punk at Survivor Series. I doubt Jericho/Mysterio would work for Survivor Series....and can they really stall and have HBK/Jericho at Survivor Series with another gimmick, AGAIN, this soon, especially after having a ladder match at No Mercy and potentially another gimmick (albeit against Batista) at Cyber Sunday?

I don't know. On one side, I'm excited that we'll most likely be getting a great match between Michaels and Jericho for No Mercy. You can't fault the WWE for giving us something good like that. But I'm a little worried that the consequence of such a match will result in two less-than-admirable title defenses on the next two ppvs - and a boring series of Raw in between - with Batista and Jericho.

I think this will be be far the highlight of the ppv! HBK always puts on a great show and I believe that this will be no exception and if it is as good as I am imagining it could easily be considered as match of the year considering it is a ladder match and these two are both great in ladder match

Well I tried to avoid finding out what happened on RAW but since I know that this has happene I might aswell comment on it.

I think that Jericho will go over. If they want to keep the Jericho - HBK rivalry going then they need to have Jericho beat HBK in HBK's match, the ladder match. Jericho can then rub it in HBK's face that HBK lost the match that everyone associates with Shawn Michaels. HBK will not win the title from Jericho, but someone else will when Jericho is challenged by someone else and HBK costs Jericho the title by interfering and then setting up one final showdown at WrestleMania where Jericho says he has matured and has become better since WrestleMania 19 where they stole the show.

This is where the feud is going to stop. I think this will be the perfect spot for the feud to stop. If you don't think the match is going to be what it was worth, rethink your thoughts cause this match alone is worth buying the PPV. The way they built this rivalry has been phenomenal. With the expectation of HBK possibly getting one more run at the belt can only say that the feud will continue, but it won't. I see Jericho coming out of this match successfully, but not without some roller coaster wrestling, fighting and drama. This one will in fact steal the show. I don't count on too much wrestling, but if they were looking for a Match of the Year Candidate, I suggest that what they should start off with. Chris idolized Shawn in real life. These 2 know how to work well together. To know that their feud this year can very well top their buildup that they had to WMXIX, almost sends shivers down my spine. I expect a classic ending at No Mercy to the 2 who put on the Feud of the Year.

Note: I would be estatic (in a positive light) to see HBK get one more run. He sure as hell deserves it. Not taking away from Jericho, even though his first WWE title run was when he was the Undisputed Champion and didn't become the top champion again until he won the Scramble.

HBK + Y2J = Legends.

Assuming this is the end of the fued, it is a perfect way to close it out. I see Jericho winning, as it makes him look weak as a champ if he loses this early. Maybe Cade gets involved and him and HBK start something. And regarding Batista/JBL. I see JBL winning, then getting his title shot on Raw with Jericho winning. Then at Cyber Sunday the fans get to vote for who they want to face Jericho. And the choices will be Punk, Batista, and JBL. I don't know, but I do agree that they should save Batista/Jericho for Survivor Series.

There are a couple stipulations to look at regarding the possible outcome of this match. The first is obviously the Batista/J.B.L. #1 Contender's match.

Mike Adamle said they'll face at No Mercy, but he never said they'd receive a Championship match at the Pay per view afterwards. So with that being said, perhaps we'll get a one month title reign by Shawn Michaels, only to have him drop it back to Chris Jericho in a "fan's pick your poison" type rematch at Cyber Sunday. We've seen nothing but Shawn Michaels against Chris Jericho all year, and unlike T.N.A. pushing the same match over and over, for some reason H.B.K. v. Jericho is actually working greatly the more times it's used.. so I doubt one more AFTER this one, especially with Shawn winning the title then defending against Jericho in a rematch, is going to hurt.

If Batista/J.B.L. do get their shot at Cyber Sunday, then it's 99.9% guaranteed that Chris Jericho will retain and H.B.K. will likely just randomly leave all over again until he gets over his numerous fake injuries.

To be honest, the point of the entire Shawn Michaels/Chris Jericho feud, wasn't to put a title on Shawn.. it was to get Chris Jericho completely over again.. and it's done that, but won't be complete until Jericho (as World Champion, none the less) proves he can be the Show Stopper in the most important match they've had yet.. and in H.B.K.'s "signature" match even.

I'm completely in belief that Jericho will take home the victory, only to parade around not just saying he beat H.B.K., but that he beat him in his own match. This will lead to H.B.K. costing Jericho his title, possibly as early as Cyber Sunday, or Survivor Series.. which will ultimately lead to one final match, where the final result is someone leaving the brand, or putting a career like stipulation on the line.

The only reason why this match is a joke to me, is because A.) Shawn was going to fricken retire due to an eye injury that's just been.. "forgotten about". And B.) They played off H.B.K. seriously injuring his arm and needing surgery.

If surgery is required, I know he didn't have it and heal that quickly. And if he hasn't had it yet, I can't see why he'd be having another match, risking even more damage.. which leads me to believe the entire thing is fake and put on, which even by H.B.K. standards is pathetic and stupid. Another injury angle to get focus off the first one, wasn't the best way to go about making people forget the first fake injury.

Heh. Imagine that; a Ladder match is made for No Mercy between Y2J and HBK.

I agree that Jericho will go on and hold the title for a little while longer, defeating HBK at his own game. Sad to see it happen to one who "revolutionized" the gimmick match, but then again, Jericho does have some valid credit to him being the first ever Undisputed Champion. But at this point in time, I don't see Jericho as a top man in the WHC battle. Ever since he lost against Orton and took the IC title, he fell back into the mid-card IMO. As a cowardly heel, he has yet to stake his claim as a part of the WHC chase, and I hope that he goes on, defeats HBK and ends the feud (which was very nicely done) and cleanly defeats either Batista or JBL at the next PPV, and possibly turns face against Orton and takes a feud to Wrestlemania.

This could be the match of the year as their fued has been amazing and I think a ladder match is a fitting way to end the fued as it's HBK's signature match. I think Jericho will retain is I feel it would be a bad move for him to only have a 1 month title reign

Shawn as champion would be amazing. I can think of few that deserve it more than he does, and seeing him with the belt one final time would be amazing. He's never had as many reigns as he deserves, so another would be great.

*Out of marking out mode now*

Isn't he injured? After the general excitement of this match wore off, all I could think about is that Shawn has a legit injury of his arm, which, although not as troublesome as first thought, was still going to require some time off/a small operation. Knowing this, can you honestly see Shawn as champion?

Shawn doesn't need the belt. He's above the belt. He's so over, the belt has never meant much to his status in the WWE. And with the injury, and Jericho being such a good choice for champion I can't see them taking it off of him to give to Shawn.

The ladder match is also Shawns match. Just like Hell in a Cell is The Undertakers. It would be a great way for Jericho to start his reign. A clean win over Shawn in the match Shawn effectively brought to the WWE.

Shawn as champion would be amazing. I can think of few that deserve it more than he does.

So Shawn really isn't the only worthy champion like your sig says?

Isn't he injured? After the general excitement of this match wore off, all I could think about is that Shawn has a legit injury of his arm, which, although not as troublesome as first thought, was still going to require some time off/a small operation. Knowing this, can you honestly see Shawn as champion?

Exactly what I thought. If he is legitimately injured, I do not see HBK winning this ladder match (Although if he did, what a moment it would be). Although, even if HBK wasn't injured, I wouldn't bet on him winning as I think it would be stupid for Vince to take the belt off of Jericho so soon after winning it only a couple of weeks ago.

The ladder match is also Shawns match. Just like Hell in a Cell is The Undertakers. It would be a great way for Jericho to start his reign. A clean win over Shawn in the match Shawn effectively brought to the WWE.

If Chris Jericho wins (Which he will) it would provide Jericho with something massive to gloat about and rub in HBK's face. The fact that he beat Shawn Michaels in his own match, which he made famous. If only some of the other wrestlers could be as good on the mic as Jericho. I really think the younger wrestlers should really be watching HBK and Jericho and how they work together during their promos and their delivery of it.

Stupid fake injuries. Jericho was right. Michaels is clearly another Hillary Clinton - pathologically addicted to lying to us. Bosnian snipers, eye injuries, arm injuries, who's counting? What next? HBK shows up at the debates and superkicks Obama?

Jollity apart, I don't see HBK winning here. He's rather stale and ultimately pretty dull. This old and half-bald guy with a "Heartbreak Kid" gimmick is very, very lame. The feud has made no sense, and it makes even less sense to bring the title into it, but whatever. Not that it hasn't been a great feud - it has - but it's been a nonsensical one - I still can't work out what they're feuding about, and most of the good work has been done by Jericho here. And even though Jericho is kayfabe hurt himself, he'll have no credibility if he loses to this guy with so many injuries I've lost count and we can't even work out which ones are legit or not. I expect a good match, with Jericho walking away as champ. Possibly he won't defend the belt at all at Cyber Sunday, and Batista will cash his title shot in at Survivor Series, maybe in a triple threat with Punk, or Orton if he's fit.

I know, Chris Jericho is right tehblogger. I quoted some of that post for my sig, hope you don't mind.

I agree, if Chris Jericho loses to someone who has so many injuries as Shawn Michaels has, Jericho will look pretty bad. I think this would be a good chance for Cade to interfere and then HBK could go after Cade for a bit for costing him the match and then have someone else, say, Orton to get a shot at Jericho and then HBK could come back after Jericho and resume their rivalry.

This rivalry just keeps getting better and better.

If this whole Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels saga was made into a DVD I would buy it for sure. Even though I know it wouldn't be put onto a DVD, it would be one entertaining DVD.

I thought this feud came to it's natural conclusion at Unforgiven. There really isn't any need for another match. I still think Punk would have been a better choice. He did beat Jericho in the Money In The Bank Match after all.

Also WWE left HBK's entrance too long. Buy the time his music hit I think most people had gone through a list of 30 potential wrestlers. I was just waiting for Santino to come out. It really didn't maximise Michales pop.

Well I expect this match to be a real "show stopper". Those two guys are both able to deliver very good matches, they've been involved in a very good feud all this year, and this time it's for the World Title too; now the spotlight is solely on them. I believe it has been really a long time since a World Title match was so meaningful, as there was more than just a more or less "random" feud behind it. I think it is a good thing WWE are exploiting this great feud to this extent.

As for the outcome, I see two options... The logical conclusion is that Jericho goes over HBK here; firstly because we all know HBK does not need or want a title that much, since he's on limited schedule anyway, and secondly, with the feud already nearing its end, it can serve to give Jericho a high-profile title defense (especially over HBK in "his" match) without having to sacrifice any of the more reasonable challengers right now (Batista, Cena, Punk) in order to establish Jericho as a more credible champion.

However, there of course is the fact that by all means, HBK definitely deserves another World Title win without question, and with WWE trying to surprise people more often lately, HBK might just pull out the victory here... And then Jericho could exercise his rematch-clause at the Series, culimating in a Last Man Standing or something, where he reclaims the belt from Shawn, and is open to other challengers...

I think I'll go with Jericho winning though, as it will be the best for him. HBK, even if he deserves it, does not need another title - besides, if he wins another one, it should probably be at WM; but Jericho is definitely being built up as one of the main heels for the years to come, next to Orton and Edge, and he needs to be taken seriously. His feud with Michaels has already done much for that, but if he goes over HBK in a ladder match, it will mean that much more.

But in any case, I think we are in for a tremendous match that will go back and forth and should finish with a great conclusion.

So Shawn really isn't the only worthy champion like your sig says?

My sigs just a marking out, "I love Shawn" sig. There are plenty more worthy champions in reality.

Exactly what I thought. If he is legitimately injured, I do not see HBK winning this ladder match (Although if he did, what a moment it would be). Although, even if HBK wasn't injured, I wouldn't bet on him winning as I think it would be stupid for Vince to take the belt off of Jericho so soon after winning it only a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, I agree. Jericho is the best thing to happen to that belt in a long time. Making his reign almost worthless by having him drop it so soon is stupid. I think Jericho should have a long reign. It'd be so much better that way.

If Chris Jericho wins (Which he will) it would provide Jericho with something massive to gloat about and rub in HBK's face. The fact that he beat Shawn Michaels in his own match, which he made famous. If only some of the other wrestlers could be as good on the mic as Jericho. I really think the younger wrestlers should really be watching HBK and Jericho and how they work together during their promos and their delivery of it.

Definitely. Best feud in a long time. People should be writing notes on how to work this way if you ask me. The heat Jericho will most likely get from defeating Shawn will be great IMO. It'll make him an even bigger heel, and add prestige to his reign. Shawn gets nothing from winning. Jericho gets everything.

This has Match of the Year written all over it. It might be better than Edge/Taker in HiaC.

I don't think Shawn will win though. Jericho deserves this reign after a rather uneventful comeback. He needs a decent reign as champion to make up for his flop as first ever Undisputed Champion. Plus, this whole feud has been about re-establishing Jericho back to the level he was a few years ago, and it has done a fantastic job at that. It would kill any momentum that Jericho has built up if he lost the belt to HBK 1 month after winning it. It would be huge for Jericho to beat HBK in the match he made famous, and Jericho's gloating would be a great way to extend the feud. Shawn doesn't get much out of winning the belt. Like I said in the other thread, Shawn is above the title at this point in his career. He doesn't need another reign unless it's a final goodbye gift.

I think Shawn will either be "seriously injured" in the match so that he can take time off to let his legit injuries heal. That will allow the feud to cool off for a bit and then possibly resume it down the road, maybe even to WM25. Much like Edge/Taker, I don't see how they can keep this feud going much longer without a break. However, unlike Edge/Taker, this feud hasn't lost any steam since the beginning.

This feud is looking more and more like the A.J. Styles/Kurt Angle feud in TNA and that's not a good thing. has much as i like both guys and the feud as been excellent, it's time to see this feud end. This feud should have ended last month with HBK getting is revenge on jericho, this was a great way to end the feud between the 2. Have HBK leave for a month or 2 and jericho getting in another feud with either Punk or Batista, then maybe have this match. Now as good as this match will be and it will be a really good match, it won'T mean anything because one way or the other, the feud isn'T over.

If Jericho wins, you got to have another match between the 2 because you need to end this feud with HBK getting is revenge and winning the match so you got another match. If HBK wins, the feud continue anyways because Jericho will have a return match clause in his contract so one way or the other, we are stuck for at less another month or 2 of HBK vs Y2J matches and as good as they are, am getting sick of seeing them fight the same way i was getting sick of watching Angle and A.J fight in TNA.

creative has been doing a good job at pacing this feud, and i think the two have a lot left in them, and a lot of directions they could still go that would be new.

for one, the build to their matches has been mostly the two of them talking to one another. they haven't really done much in the way of physicality in turns of building these matches. (perhaps this is due to "injuries" suffered and hbk's lighter schedule).

second, hot-shotting this angle and putting the belt on jericho, with a potential challenge from batista looming in the background, really isn't a stretch, as the jericho/michaels feud began as batista/michaels feuding over the retiring of flair. (the natural end to jericho/michaels might just be jericho retiring michaels at wrestlemania!?!)

i see jericho going over michaels at no mercy, giving him reason to gloat, and then taking on batista at cyber sunday, where perhaps turnabout is fair play and michaels gets voted guest referee or something like that. then he could potentially "screw" jericho out of the title and only add more fuel to that fire, allowing their one-on-one fued to continue.

all that as a way of saying, i think the two of them have a lot more left, and i think creative can do a good enough job of layering the story to keep us interested...

Shawn's arm injury was minor compared to what they originally thought. It didn't require surgery and said he would need 1 to 4 weeks for it to heal. Which means he should be fine by No Mercy.

I would love for Shawn to win, but i doubt it will happen. I don't think Jericho necessarily needs a rub from Shawn either, but i doubt they would give him the belt for a month. Should be a good match regardless and is more than enough to make me buy the PPV.

I feel like HBK wont win the Championship just because of his work schedule there just teasing us

Either way the Batista and JBL match is for a Future Championship Match not for the next ppv so he could ask for a championship match at another event

God, this is what I've been waiting for. The ladder match. Should be a good match.

I love this feud because we haven't seen feuds like this in a while, especially for the World titles. We have mini-feuds and that is it. I'm an old school kind of guy and I love year long feuds between two guys with any title belts on the line and if another guy can get in there for a bit, it makes it all better.

Also, many are claiming this is HBKs type of match just because he was in the first one, but if you check the stats, Jericho is actually king of the ladder matches when it comes to these two.

Jericho has been involved in 6 ladder matches and has won 3 of them.

Shawn has been involved in 4 ladder matches and has won only 1 of them.

I am really hoping Jericho retains. I don't want to see his reign cut short. I love the promos he is doing now and the all around new character he is.

Orignally, I thought that Jericho had only been given this title so that the feud between him and HBK could be put on the backburner while he recovered from his arm injury, but clearly they think that there is one more match in this feud. The fact that this is Shawn's "speciality" match means that it will be probably be the last match in the feud. I can see Jericho winning cleanly, as anything else will need more matches between the two. (I am completely ruling out a Michaels win, as the WWE doesn't tend to go for month long reings.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back