• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

No interest in Kurt Angle?

SacredMesa

Pre-Show Stalwart
Now this is mainly in response to reading a article like this...

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/501823-kurt-angle-pitching-wwe-return

In which is says WWE has no interest in Kurt Angle returning in a in ring capacity, or maybe at all. The issue I have are mainly the common ones, matches between Angle and Daniel Bryan/Reigns/etc would be great, but I feel like if WWE really has no interest in Angle then they are missing perhaps one of the biggest chances to build a new star.

Right now I feel that Kurt Angle would be an amazing in a fued with Rusev. I mean think about it, Lana and Rusev keep going on with their anti-America promos as usual and then out comes Kurt Angle an Olympic Gold Medalist and form world heavyweight champion to fight him. I get that they tried the same thing with Swagger but the problem is Swagger has zero credibility anymore and he hasn't in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. Kurt Angle on the other hand would have all the credibility needed to really build Rusev, and could be seen as a legit threat to Rusev's undefeated streak, not saying he would end it but he would be someone we can believe could end it.

I can't really be the only one who would like to see this fued, and frankly I don't even like Rusev all that much but I still can't help but feel that is Swagger got the kind of response he did that it would be a much bigger response as well as do a great deal more good with Rusev to be in the fued with someone on Angles level as oppose to Swagger.

Do you guys feel that WWE should bring back Kurt Angle to help build Rusev or do you feel if he comes back he should stay in fueds with guys like Bryan/Ambrose/Rollins/Reigns/Cena/Lesnar/etc?

I really hope that the WWE does bring back Kurt Angle. He's a bonafied WWE hall of famer! If the E does bring back Captain America I hope that they do give him "the Shawn Michaels deal" or something. Where he could work on a limited schedule. I would love to see this! I would just mark out as soon as I heard the news about Kurt Angle coming back home to the WWE. This would be like Lebron James returning back home to Cleveland to play with the Cavs. Kurt Angle could be put in some great feuds in this wrestling era. Against guys like Swagger, Bryan, Wyatt, Cesero, ECT. If I was Vince McMahon I would just make this happen because it makes perfect sense for it to happen.

If Vince doesn't make it happen. YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK!! YOU SUCK!!!

As much as I would like that to happen, it should be noted that Kurt Angle has had a noticeable problem with substance abuse. I've also heard he had some attitude issues. This doesnt mesh with WWE's more clean image.

I don't think the WWE really appreciated the way Kurt left them you know saying that he was leaving to get clean then jumping over to TNA you know that had to have left a mark. Besides why would Kurt go back when he has it good right as in always in the main event or with the worlds championship, involved in major storylines as the head of wrestling operations, and let's not forget the pull that he has backstage where as if he were to return to the WWE he would probably go the route of RVD which is basically an upper mid card jobber used to get over guys like Rusev, Cesaro, Bray Wyatt ect.

Also could be another case of WWE and Angle feeding dirt sheets with false information to make his Royal Rumble return secret, though if the reports are true then it truly is disappointing that WWE would be missing a fabolous opportunity because they cant get over how Kurt left

I'm meh on Angle. He's in his forties and hasn't been in the WWE in the last 8 years. Substance abuse problems have haunted him for a long time and unless he's totally clean, can't see the WWE wanting to go down that road again.

Angle is a good wrestler in the ring, but because I haven't really watched TNA in a couple of years, sort of lost track of him and what he's been up too. I don't care one way or another if he comes back to the WWE. If he does come back though, I'm hoping it's for a feud with Rusev, because that's the only person I can see him feuding with right now.

Now this is mainly in response to reading a article like this...

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/501823-kurt-angle-pitching-wwe-return

In which is says WWE has no interest in Kurt Angle returning in a in ring capacity, or maybe at all. The issue I have are mainly the common ones, matches between Angle and Daniel Bryan/Reigns/etc would be great, but I feel like if WWE really has no interest in Angle then they are missing perhaps one of the biggest chances to build a new star.

There've been other reports prior to this one suggesting doubts as to whether or not Angle is healthy enough to compete. Angle hasn't been wrestling in TNA for a while now and the last times he has have resulted in subpar matches and/or sustaining significant injury. Angle's a tough guy, he always has been, but his tough guy mentality is something of a weakness when you consider that he's come off as one of these guys who doesn't know when to quit. The Undertaker has been like that, to a degree, and he'd always put the business first, even if he should take time off to heal up and get certain injury issues taken care of. The result of that has been Taker's body breaking down over the past 5 or 6 years to a point where it's been a significant risk for him to compete once a year.

Angle's had a host of issues over the years, including problems with his neck, and he's getting older. Angle still looks great but, all in all, so does Hulk Hogan and his body is held together with multiple artificial implants and prayers. There's a difference between being able to pump iron in the gym and being able to put on a competitive looking pro wrestling match without injury. Personally, and this is just an assumption on my part, I don't think Angle is as far gone as Taker and he's certainly not as far gone as Hogan, but I think he's getting there.

There are different sides as to why Angle left WWE in the first place. Angle contends that he wanted to take some time off to rest up and get some issues taken care of, but they refused. WWE contends that they wanted Angle to get help for abusing painkillers, but refused. I don't know which argument is true, or at least which argument has the most truth.

If Angle was to be signed, was cleared to compete, had matches that didn't live up to expectations, resulted in injury to himself or both, what then? I think we'd ultimately get a lot of the usual "part timer" complaints that've become fairly common. Some would say it's a waste of time and money using a star as big as Angle in such a limited way even if said limited way is the only way to use him safely. Angle could be brought in in a non-wrestling role, which could work depending on what the role is. I wouldn't mind seeing Angle as a manager/mouthpiece, maybe as a commentator, but I've no interest at all in him being an on-air authority figure. It's a gimmick that's been done to death and there are already enough former to occasional in-ring wrestlers serving in such a role. There are also plenty of legends running about WWE to represent the company in sort of an ambassadorial position, or who could be used in such a role, like Hogan, Flair, HBK, Stone Cold, Kevin Nash, etc.

I keep thinking that while WWE wouldn't want to miss the chance to get one of the biggest names in the business under their company banner, they might be a bit turned off by Angle's apparent self-importance. We keep reading how he's considering going back to WWE; the tone of his comments seeming to suggest that if he wants to come back, the company will jump through hoops to get him.

For reasons already pointed out in this topic, his premise might be off. While his interviews suggest he wants to come back on a limited schedule basis with a Rob Van Dam-type deal which includes a lot of time off, maybe WWE doesn't want Angle under those terms......and perhaps they're even pissed off when they read his comments that seem to presume everything will be done Kurt's way.

And if all that isn't enough, who has any idea what kind of money Angle is presuming he'd be getting?

Of course, all this "reluctance" might be a negotiating ploy on the part of WWE. Partly due to possibly being annoyed at Kurt's apparent presumption that WWE will want him...... and/or partly to lower his asking price and scheduling demands, they might be telling the media they aren't interested in him.

In fact, if the company really isn't interested (at least on Kurt's terms) he might really wind up looking foolish for his "maybe I will, maybe I won't" attitude if a deal can't be struck.

As much as I would like that to happen, it should be noted that Kurt Angle has had a noticeable problem with substance abuse. I've also heard he had some attitude issues. This doesnt mesh with WWE's more clean image.

Angle said on JR's podcast awhile ago that he's been clean & sober for several months, for what it's worth.

I wouldn't mind seeing Angle come back in some type of authority role, maybe GM of RAW or something like that, with the opportunity for a big match(es) as storylines warranted. Perhaps putting him in the role of babyface GM, opposing The Authority as the heels could even set up an Angle/HHH match at a future WM, if his health permitted.

I think the parties want two different things... Angle, who has missed a lot of time w/ injuries the last few years in TNA where he was barely used in the last year, who has had multiple run ins w/ law enforcement over DUI & drugs since he left WWE, who was let go from WWE over substance abuse issues, not too mention multiple domestic violence issues, this Angle wants to return to WWE & wrestle. WWE doesnt want the baggage.

I wouldnt be surprised if they come to an agreement 'Legends Deal' style that enables Angle to make non wrestling appearances and do a retrospective DVD, etc.

Now WWE has certainly made ammends with guys who left on bad terms (as Angle did) but in those instances the wrestlers involved were noticably healthier than Angle (although Scott Hall & Curt Henning were let go fairly quick at the first signs of trouble) and that is the hold up, Angle appears to be broken down physically and be very fragile, even if his domestic issues are behind him, even if he is drug free, he physically appears to be in bad health (unlike Flair & HBK who were brought back in limited schedule capacity ten years ago) making any attempt to bring him back to WRESTLE a huge risk for WWE.

Eventually he'll get his 'Legends Deal' but I see no upside in bringing him back as a wrestler.

Angle said on JR's podcast awhile ago that he's been clean & sober for several months, for what it's worth.

I wouldn't mind seeing Angle come back in some type of authority role, maybe GM of RAW or something like that, with the opportunity for a big match(es) as storylines warranted. Perhaps putting him in the role of babyface GM, opposing The Authority as the heels could even set up an Angle/HHH match at a future WM, if his health permitted.

But I'm sure he has been clean and sober before...It's very easy to fall off the wagon. I dont believe that should be the deciding factor as to why they shouldn't bring him back, but it certainly doesn't help his chances.

Another issue is that the network is struggling and WWE is losing a lot of money. There is already too much talent and part-time wrestlers aren't being held in as high regard anymore. Does RVD effect sales or ratings anymore? Because his jobbing has killed my interest in him and I imagine I can't be the only one who feels that way. Then you have the Batista situation...

I'd like an Angle return, but I would understand why they'd be reluctant. I tried watching him on TNA and I didn't like how he had become a straight up badass. I prefer the funny Kurt Angle who was often a joke, but a deadly joke who one did not want to take lightly.

The maximum upside for the WWE is that they have another part-time performer to bring in to help establish the guys that the WWE feels is the future of their company. It'd be nice to have Angle there to bring up guys like Rusev and Reigns, but it's not a Must Fill position. There are other part-time performers who are doing that job quite well.

The maximum downside for the WWE is having to explain incidents, like why one of their performers left their car in the middle of a highway and was arrested for being publicly drunk a mile down the road. What's even better than a guy who promises you that he's sober this time around? A guy who you don't have to worry about taking his word on if he's sober or not.

Yeah, it'd be nice to see Kurt in the WWE again, but the WWE doesn't need him. Kurt needs the WWE at this point; there's no future in TNA, and I have a hunch he's looking for a glory kick as opposed to a payday, so I don't think Japan is in his future. Don't rule out a WWE return.... but I'd bet against it.

There are plenty of good reasons for bringing Angle in (providing, of course, that he's healthy)...
Firstly...he becomes a credible opponent for Lesnar, post-Cena and pre-Reigns, and there's a lack of them.
Secondly...following a Lesnar match, he can be used to put over new talent. Granted, that's what they've been doing with Jericho and RVD with mixed result. But Angle has more menacing ring cred than either of them.

Ultimately, the lack of interest in Angle seems to be political.
During the height of the 'Attitude Era', the top two second stringers under Austin and The Rock were HHH and Angle.

Angle was always better, but HHH married the boss' daughter.

HHH seems to show great interest in putting over new talent now; in doing what's "best for business" despite the kayfabe catchphrase. But when he had his "spot" to protect, he buried anyone who came near it.

It all sounds like a soap opera, but I wouldn't put any of this past HHH's petty jealousy and power triangulations.

This my be playing a game of semantics but the quote I heard a few times was "not interested at this time". Which could be code for "he's under contract until October so on this day in August, we are not interested."

I know in sports if you contact a player before his deal is up it is a HEFTY offence. So it might be a cover to absolve themselves of any tampering.

It would be foolish for the WWE not to bring Angle back in for a short time. Big initial pop, sell some merch and create some buzz.

If Angle is healthy and sober then he can put on great matches. A year or so working at the big PPV's would be fine. Imagine him working with Bryan, Cesaro, Rollins, Ambrose... yes please.

Thereafter, he can be inducted into the HoF. Angle has a purpose and the WWE should bring him back.

I want to see the funny Angle come back that rapped with cena and sprayed milk. I don't want tbat generic wrestling machine he has become last 9 years. He was one of my favorites at the time with simon dean, captain charisma, and rico.

Triple H has an intense jealousy of people who are far, far superior to him, but aren't his buds, see: Rock, Bret, Angle, Jericho. His real-life issues with those people are documented. Rock is a megastar who can waltz back in when he wants. Bret and Jericho had personal relationships with Vince. Angle has no connections and has to negotiate with a guy whom he makes extremely insecure. Of course Angle ain't coming back.

I keep thinking that while WWE wouldn't want to miss the chance to get one of the biggest names in the business under their company banner, they might be a bit turned off by Angle's apparent self-importance. We keep reading how he's considering going back to WWE; the tone of his comments seeming to suggest that if he wants to come back, the company will jump through hoops to get him.

For reasons already pointed out in this topic, his premise might be off. While his interviews suggest he wants to come back on a limited schedule basis with a Rob Van Dam-type deal which includes a lot of time off, maybe WWE doesn't want Angle under those terms......and perhaps they're even pissed off when they read his comments that seem to presume everything will be done Kurt's way.

And if all that isn't enough, who has any idea what kind of money Angle is presuming he'd be getting?

Of course, all this "reluctance" might be a negotiating ploy on the part of WWE. Partly due to possibly being annoyed at Kurt's apparent presumption that WWE will want him...... and/or partly to lower his asking price and scheduling demands, they might be telling the media they aren't interested in him.

In fact, if the company really isn't interested (at least on Kurt's terms) he might really wind up looking foolish for his "maybe I will, maybe I won't" attitude if a deal can't be struck.

If WWE didn't want to kowtow to someone, then why give Brock Lesnar the world, and give him millions for a limited schedule?

Kurt Angle would bring ratings, and even if he only wrestled occassionally, he can still cut promos, so he would be able to do more dates that Brock does.

If they got Kurt Angle for WM and Summerslam, even that would be worth the value. Hey, they do that with Brock, The Rock, The Undertaker and even Sting, who all would work less than Kurt possibly could.

Bring back Kurt Angle. Have him be inducted in the WWE HoF, and then do a match at Wrestlemania (against Jack Swagger or Rusev).

Besides, TNA may not be an option anymore. I read on Wrestlezone that a TV station is willing to pick them up, but it would involve cutting all their highly-paid stars, including Angle, so he may need to be willing to negotiate
more, as he may have no other option than WWE.

Triple H has an intense jealousy of people who are far, far superior to him, but aren't his buds, see: Rock, Bret, Angle, Jericho. His real-life issues with those people are documented. Rock is a megastar who can waltz back in when he wants. Bret and Jericho had personal relationships with Vince. Angle has no connections and has to negotiate with a guy whom he makes extremely insecure. Of course Angle ain't coming back.

I agree with this, and I will ALWAYS remember Triple H as the reason I didn't get to see an amazing WrestleMania 22 main event between Kurt Angle and Taker...

...But, unfortunately, the Kurt of 2014 is too much of a liability, and I blame that much more than Triple H's jealousy. Had it not been for his addictions, I think Angle could have been in the discussion for a spot amongst the top five or six of all time. He could (and still can to some degree) play any role in professional wrestling and be amazing at it.

Would I love to see a healthy, sober and focused Kurt Angle return to WWE for a run? You're damn right I would! Do I see it happening? Sadly, I do not.

If WWE didn't want to kowtow to someone, then why give Brock Lesnar the world, and give him millions for a limited schedule?

Kurt Angle would bring ratings, and even if he only wrestled occassionally, he can still cut promos, so he would be able to do more dates that Brock does.

If they got Kurt Angle for WM and Summerslam, even that would be worth the value. Hey, they do that with Brock, The Rock, The Undertaker and even Sting, who all would work less than Kurt possibly could.

Bring back Kurt Angle. Have him be inducted in the WWE HoF, and then do a match at Wrestlemania (against Jack Swagger or Rusev).

Besides, TNA may not be an option anymore. I read on Wrestlezone that a TV station is willing to pick them up, but it would involve cutting all their highly-paid stars, including Angle, so he may need to be willing to negotiate
more, as he may have no other option than WWE.

How much draw does Kurt have anymore? Because his presence in TNA didn't seem to help that company a lot. Nostalgia rarely leaves a major impact on the ratings (Hogan). Brock Lesnar is an odd exception because he has become famous outside of wrestling. He was a UFC champ, so brings in a new crowd.

Angle IMO is very much wanted by the WWE. How can he not be?? He is a highly respected veteran and a future HOFer. However,some could argue the WWE still has a bad taste in their mouth the way angle left them some 8 years ago..

WWE claims they wanted him to go into rehab for painkiller addiction,angle says he wanted time off to heal up from injuries and just recoup... Who knows whats true i think it might be a little bit of both actually.. Angle is what 44 45 years old.. He is in great shape no doubt there,but competing in the ring like JH said is a different beast all together..

Angle's neck is shot his former substance abuse problems probably still haunt him to this day.. I hope he is clean and sober,it must be pure hell for someone to have substance abuse problems not like you can just have one or two beers and call it good..

Could he get medical clearance though?? I dont think he could actually.. He is probably one bad bump away from being in a wheelchair that alone is not worth it.. Angle in his prime was the best technical wrestler on the planet.. We all want that Daniel Bryan Vs Angle match,if angle could get medically cleared and get himself in the best in-ring shape,that could be a gem!

I think he would be best suited for a manager type of roll i dont even want to see him in a limited capacity! One match only i be okay with.. ON a side note,send prayers up to the snake man! He is battling double Pneumonia and is in critical condition!

Look, Angle left on bad terms. Levesque and VKM owe him nothing. Angle has ZERO to offer to WWE at this point. His wrestling days, with his neck and drug/drink issues notwithstanding, are in the rear view mirror. WWE does not do Manager's with any seriousness. So, thinking he is going back is naive at best, and asinine at worst. What he SHOULD do is try to get an assistant's gig in the NCAA. He would do far better in training the next batch of Olympians and World Champions than he ever will in Sports Entertainment. And, if he puts out his resume to some of the NCAA's upper-level wrestling schools, that Olympic Gold Medal and NCAA Championships will be quite a talisman.

I hear that Angle has been clean and sober for a long time now. But I do not know as if he will be brought back in an in ring performer again. If he came in part time it would be brilliant for all but I don't know as if there is some backstage problems that prevent Kurt from wrestling in a WWE ring. Maybe some kind of politics or maybe he just would not pass the physical exam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back