NJPW Power Struggle Spoiler

Kenny Omega is not well known in America (WWE's largest consumer). It's a simple fact. The only people Omega appeals to are already wrestling fans. Meaning you're taking a slice of WWE's already potential/actual audience. This does not help them at all.

Tell me how a product that is way less popular than WWE is going to help WWE grow when the only fans of the lesser product already watch/are aware of WWE. This isn't WCW. They were above/at WWE's level. NJPW isn't even at TNA 2010 level.
This actually will. For example, a NJPW or Kenny Omega fan who doesn't eatch WWE. He might watch WWE just to see Kenny Omega. That's a plus for WWE, isn't it?

A

Isn't that already the demographic that Nakamura, Balor, and Styles are supposed to be filling?
You're right. But still there are some NJPW fans who don't watch WWE. Who may for Kenny Omega. Not to forget people who watch ROH and don't watch WWE. They may be less but they are present.

No way is it shitty. First off he isn't even under contract which we all know. He is now an independent wrestler and to get a match against one of the greatest at this moment is a cool thing. WWE have been loyal to who ever? As soon as John Cena doesn't make money anymore they'll probably throw him under the bus. Maybe not throw him but they won't be helping him up. It's the employees that make the business not the other way around so for anyone to be loyal to a business when it would never be the other way around is missing out.

I think it is shitty. He has every right to do it. I would get this more if WWE had shut Jericho out. But they always conform to his schedule and book him extremely well. I don't understand why he wouldn't just go to WWE for another one off.

I think Vince has given permission. This news is overshadowing bound for glory,

I constantly forget TNA still exists. There's no news on if Vince has allowed it. Make no sense for him to do so. So I think this is a Jericho thing.

This actually will. For example, a NJPW or Kenny Omega fan who doesn't eatch WWE. He might watch WWE just to see Kenny Omega. That's a plus for WWE, isn't it?

You're right. But still there are some NJPW fans who don't watch WWE. Who may for Kenny Omega. Not to forget people who watch ROH and don't watch WWE. They may be less but they are present.

WWE is the biggest wrestling company in the world. Pro wrestling has a very specific fanbase. It is highly doubtful Kenny Omega will gain WWE any new fans. This won't grow WWE at all. A lot of people will have more of a who reaction rather than yay. AJ Styles was bigger than Omega and it took him 6>months to get him truly going.

WWE is the biggest wrestling company in the world. Pro wrestling has a very specific fanbase. It is highly doubtful Kenny Omega will gain WWE any new fans. This won't grow WWE at all. A lot of people will have more of a who reaction rather than yay. AJ Styles was bigger than Omega and it took him 6>months to get him truly going.
Kenny Omega will gain WWE new fans. Because there are still people who don't watch WWE but are fans of Kenny Omega. And they will watch WWE for Kenny Omega. I know that I would just for Kenny Omega.

And I don't agree that a lot of people will have more a who reaction for Omega. Sorry, But I disagree.

Most casual North American fans, ie WWE fans, have no clue who Kenny Omega is. Styles at least made a name in TNA, Omega has almost no non New Japan exposure.

And there may be plenty of Omega fans who don’t watch WWE, but I’d bet a testicle that none of them who are Omega fans would follow him to WWE because most fans who watch New Japan and don’t watch WWE are smarky anti WWE fans.

And I don't agree that a lot of people will have more a who reaction for Omega. Sorry, But I disagree.

Based on what measurable factor can you say this?

Omega has 200k followers on twitter while Roman Reigns has 2.73 million. The reach of a WWE created guy like Reigns is far stronger than Omega, who doesn't have half the audience on social media that Roman Reigns does.

He's hardly well known outside of a really niche wrestling audience. The WWE only crowd way outnumber that market. People from NXT, ala Bayley, can't get over in WWE because the mass audience is unaware of their journey/story. You think that Omega, a guy from another company in a different country, is going to be well known?

Most casual North American fans, ie WWE fans, have no clue who Kenny Omega is. Styles at least made a name in TNA, Omega has almost no non New Japan exposure.

And there may be plenty of Omega fans who don’t watch WWE, but I’d bet a testicle that none of them who are Omega fans would follow him to WWE because most fans who watch New Japan and don’t watch WWE are smarky anti WWE fans.
I don't agree with your last statement. But Let's assume that it's true. Even then some fans will follow Kenny Omega in WWE. I'm talking about that some.

Based on what measurable factor can you say this?

Omega has 200k followers on twitter while Roman Reigns has 2.73 million. The reach of a WWE created guy like Reigns is far stronger than Omega, who doesn't have half the audience on social media that Roman Reigns does.

He's hardly well known outside of a really niche wrestling audience. The WWE only crowd way outnumber that market. People from NXT, ala Bayley, can't get over in WWE because the mass audience is unaware of their journey/story. You think that Omega, a guy from another company in a different country, is going to be well known?
So you're going to use twitter for who's known more and who's known less? And you're comparing Omega to Roman Reigns? A guy who has yet to be a World Champion to 3 times World Champion in WWE? A guy who has main evented Wrestle Kingdom once to a guy who has main evented Wrestlemania for consecutive 3 times? Obviously, people will know Roman Reigns more.

And does one follow a wrestler if he knows him? No. So how are followers related to how many people know him?

Bayley is still over on the main roster. Even when she wasn't booked rightly.

He may not be well known as AJ Styles but I believe that he will be received well on his debut. The latest measurable factor is ROH's show selling fastest in its history when Kenny Omega was announced for that particular show.

You mean, Omega drew really well for the niche audience which is what everyone in this thread is pointing out to you.

Kenny Omega brings very little value to WWE outside of weakening NJPW and his in-ring work. That's it. He isn't going to draw in WWE because he is a favourite of a niche section of wrestling which for the most part, dislike the WWE style and actively seek out alternatives. Omega has close to zero drawing ability in WWE. The group you think exists, the NJPW fans who will follow Kenny, are so small that the addition of them is extremely insignificant.

I still don't agree. Kenny Omega won't be offered WWE contract multiple times if Kenny Omega actually brought just a little value to WWE. Why would you offer someone a job if you know that someone won't be profitable to you?

I don't agree with your last statement. But Let's assume that it's true. Even then some fans will follow Kenny Omega in WWE. I'm talking about that some.

I get what you are saying, but the number who would follow him over aren't a large number. Not enough to make an impact on WWE ratings and merch sales and all that other stuff that equals dollars in the shareholders pockets. I'm not saying all New Japan fans, but a fair portion of New Japan fans are anti WWE, or at the very least don't enjoy the sports entertainment style that WWE presents. No one is saying that is wrong.

And by no means am I saying Omega is bad. I think he is overrated and like Prophet is arguing, he appeals to a niche audience. He puts on good matches and I kinda enjoy his showmanship, but he isn't a global star that would bring in a ton of new fans to WWE.

Honestly, and my knowledge of New Japan is limited, the only guy who I think could be that guy is Okada, and only because he is still under 30 and could be built up to be a big international star.

I still don't agree. Kenny Omega won't be offered WWE contract multiple times if Kenny Omega actually brought just a little value to WWE. Why would you offer someone a job if you know that someone won't be profitable to you?

Because it'd weaken NJPW. Omega offers value in that respect and in his wrestling ability. He offers no value in drawing a large audience and his inclusion would not have a significant effect on ratings/network subscriptions for the most part.

WWE have a long history of offering people jobs, signing them and "wasting" them, when in reality they were only ever hired to get that person away from the competition.

Signing Kenny Omega hurts NJPW more than it helps WWE.

I get what you are saying, but the number who would follow him over aren't a large number. Not enough to make an impact on WWE ratings and merch sales and all that other stuff that equals dollars in the shareholders pockets. I'm not saying all New Japan fans, but a fair portion of New Japan fans are anti WWE, or at the very least don't enjoy the sports entertainment style that WWE presents. No one is saying that is wrong.

And by no means am I saying Omega is bad. I think he is overrated and like Prophet is arguing, he appeals to a niche audience. He puts on good matches and I kinda enjoy his showmanship, but he isn't a global star that would bring in a ton of new fans to WWE.

Honestly, and my knowledge of New Japan is limited, the only guy who I think could be that guy is Okada, and only because he is still under 30 and could be built up to be a big international star.
Okada is a damn good wrestler. And you're right that he could draw new fans. However, I don't think that he will join WWE in future. NJPW have put too much in him to let him go.

I agree that Kenny Omega isn't a global star. And also that he won't bring tons of fans. I've been always saying that he will bring SOME fans.

I don't know about ratings. But Kenny Omega is one of the biggest merch sellers of non-WWE wrestlers. So that says a lot.

And being a big fan of Kenny Omega, I would love to know why you feel he's overrated. Not saying that you're wrong. Just wanna know why you feel so.

Because it'd weaken NJPW. Omega offers value in that respect and in his wrestling ability. He offers no value in drawing a large audience and his inclusion would not have a significant effect on ratings/network subscriptions for the most part.

WWE have a long history of offering people jobs, signing them and "wasting" them, when in reality they were only ever hired to get that person away from the competition.

Signing Kenny Omega hurts NJPW more than it helps WWE.
Those offers were made in 2015, according to Kenny. At that moment, he had just become Jr. Heavyweight Champion. And he was nowhere near being big in NJPW.

But in 2016, and more in 2017, he's pretty big in NJPW now.

You could be right about WWE offering Omega just to hurt NJPW. But in 2015, I don't think that Kenny Omega going to WWE would've hurt NJPW.

Let's see if Kenny Omega actually joins WWE and also gets WHO reaction.

Okada is a damn good wrestler. And you're right that he could draw new fans. However, I don't think that he will join WWE in future. NJPW have put too much in him to let him go.

I agree that Kenny Omega isn't a global star. And also that he won't bring tons of fans. I've been always saying that he will bring SOME fans.

I don't know about ratings. But Kenny Omega is one of the biggest merch sellers of non-WWE wrestlers. So that says a lot.

And being a big fan of Kenny Omega, I would love to know why you feel he's overrated. Not saying that you're wrong. Just wanna know why you feel so.

As far as him being overrated, I have a few reasons.

The biggest reason for me personally is that his style of wrestling, at least in his recent high profile matches, just isn't my style. I don't mind kicking out of a finisher on a big stage, it does build drama. That said, how many Rainmakers did he kick out of over the course of his trilogy with Okada? Too many, I know that much. It isn't a Omega specific issue, at No Mercy Roman(one of my personal favorite WWE guys) kicked out of I think it was four AAs, including a super AA. That just kills matches for me.

He also no sells a lot. I'm not going to say that a complete lack of selling is bad either, sometimes the whole fighting spirit or second wind thing makes sense, but when you are twenty, let alone thirty or forty minutes into a match like he often is, stay down for a few seconds before you hit your next big move. Don't just fly around the ring the entire match. Sell leg damage. Limp.

Speaking of, a lot of his matches are just big move after big move after big move. Again, that can be fun sometimes, but I feel like every match of his I've ever watched is just him using his athletisicm and signature moves to pop the crowd. By his own admission he couldn't even wrestle a coherent match until he was signed to WWE in 2006. I feel bad that they assigned him to Deep South Wrestling, probably the worst development territory ever though.

Then most of his fans are insufferable. He is good, I'll never deny that, but lets not act like he is the reincarnation of Jesus Christ as a pro wrestler like Dave Meltzer does. I'm 27, I've been watching wrestling since I can remember, probably a good twenty two years. I'm not KB, but I've seen a lot of great performers, and while Kenny is good and ocassionally great in my eyes, he isn't the best, isn't close to it. I hate that Meltzer and others put him on a pedistal just because he wrestles sixty minute draws in New Japan.

Oh, and the Bullet Club annoys me, but that isn't just a Kenny specific issue.

All that said, his Hadouken is one of my favorite spots in wrestling.

As far as him being overrated, I have a few reasons.

The biggest reason for me personally is that his style of wrestling, at least in his recent high profile matches, just isn't my style. I don't mind kicking out of a finisher on a big stage, it does build drama. That said, how many Rainmakers did he kick out of over the course of his trilogy with Okada? Too many, I know that much. It isn't a Omega specific issue, at No Mercy Roman(one of my personal favorite WWE guys) kicked out of I think it was four AAs, including a super AA. That just kills matches for me.

He also no sells a lot. I'm not going to say that a complete lack of selling is bad either, sometimes the whole fighting spirit or second wind thing makes sense, but when you are twenty, let alone thirty or forty minutes into a match like he often is, stay down for a few seconds before you hit your next big move. Don't just fly around the ring the entire match. Sell leg damage. Limp.

Speaking of, a lot of his matches are just big move after big move after big move. Again, that can be fun sometimes, but I feel like every match of his I've ever watched is just him using his athletisicm and signature moves to pop the crowd. By his own admission he couldn't even wrestle a coherent match until he was signed to WWE in 2006. I feel bad that they assigned him to Deep South Wrestling, probably the worst development territory ever though.

Then most of his fans are insufferable. He is good, I'll never deny that, but lets not act like he is the reincarnation of Jesus Christ as a pro wrestler like Dave Meltzer does. I'm 27, I've been watching wrestling since I can remember, probably a good twenty two years. I'm not KB, but I've seen a lot of great performers, and while Kenny is good and ocassionally great in my eyes, he isn't the best, isn't close to it. I hate that Meltzer and others put him on a pedistal just because he wrestles sixty minute draws in New Japan.

Oh, and the Bullet Club annoys me, but that isn't just a Kenny specific issue.

All that said, his Hadouken is one of my favorite spots in wrestling.
I agree about kicking out of Rainmakers. Rainmaker is just like AA. And Okada does use too many Rainmakers. Be it against Omega or anyone else. It should be like how Omega uses One Winged Angel in his matches.

No-selling, I really don't remember him doing so. May be I've forgotten it. But I've seen Okada totally ignore the leg selling. And Omega actually selling his leg pretty well. You must have seen more of Omega than me. I guess that it was against Juice Robinson where he was selling pretty good. Not sure though.

I agree that he isn't the greatest of all time. Not anywhere near it. But he's one of the best at this moment. At least, I think so. However, that's not because of having 60 minutes draw or Meltzer saying it. I really don't know why someone bases his own judgment over Meltzer or any another reviewer's judgment.

About Bullet Club, I would've loved them to do their own new pose instead of repeating too sweet. Cease and desist won't happen then.

Kenny Omega will gain WWE new fans. Because there are still people who don't watch WWE but are fans of Kenny Omega. And they will watch WWE for Kenny Omega. I know that I would just for Kenny Omega.

A lot of those people who will react already watch WWE. The gain from him will be so little, it wouldn't be worth paying him any amount. I wouldn't watch for Kenny Omega. You are in too much of a bubble here.

Styles got a who reaction during his first bit (excluding Royal Rumble of course). He was way more known than Omega. A million people watched Styles weekly on TNA and it took him months to get to the top.

Wow this is kind of a shitty thing for Jericho to do. Loyalty should mean something after all these years. WWE always bends over backwards for Jericho and treats him well.

Now I'm not going to watch as I don't give a shit but still, I don't get it.

The way it's being reported, Jericho went to WWE to use NXT guys on his cruise and they turned him down. So now he's built a relationship with another promotion that probably will let their wrestlers work the cruise. In turn, he works a big match with one of their top guys at their big show.

Not to mention, the whole, "bends over backwards for Jericho" is total bullshit. Vince tried to forbid him from hosting that game show. He fined him twice for other people blading. He brought him back multiple times with certain plans in mind and then changed his mind after.

Jericho has more than done enough for WWE. He's been way more loyal to them than they have to him.

Not to mention, the whole, "bends over backwards for Jericho" is total bullshit. Vince tried to forbid him from hosting that game show. He fined him twice for other people blading. He brought him back multiple times with certain plans in mind and then changed his mind after.

Jericho has more than done enough for WWE. He's been way more loyal to them than they have to him.

Jericho usually gets put into the feuds he wants. Degree of freedom. Always welcomed back and put into a big position. Plans change. Sticking to plans result in things like Ryback losing to Punk despite being white hot cause of Rock.

Taker and HHH both got fined for blading. So I don't see why that matters.

Seems like they treat him how he should be treated.

NJPW isn't even at TNA 2010 level.

This is the most hilariously incorrect and absurd statement that I've seen on this board, and that's saying a lot.

I'd LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE to here any argument that backs up this objectively false assessment.

This is the most hilariously incorrect and absurd statement that I've seen on this board, and that's saying a lot.

I'd LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE to here any argument that backs up this objectively false assessment.

TNA US viewers - Averaged above/around 1 million viewers in 2010. They broke more than 2 million a few times.

New Japan US viewers reported ~200,000 back in 2015. AXS isn't measured by Nielsen however so I'm not sure where that number came from. That's the most recent data I can find.

TNA US viewers - Averaged above/around 1 million viewers in 2010. They broke more than 2 million a few times.

New Japan US viewers reported ~200,000 back in 2015. AXS isn't measured by Nielsen however so I'm not sure where that number came from. That's the most recent data I can find.
So American Neilsen television ratings are the determining factor of a promotion's status in the industry? Interesting take I guess.

So American Neilsen television ratings are the determining factor of a promotion's status in the industry? Interesting take I guess.

I mean for the US, yeah. My original point was WWE's biggest audience is in the US. There's no one in NJPW who could do a one off and help grow WWE's US audience (nor would it help their overall audience). That's why I said NJPW isn't even at TNA's 2010 level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back