Newcastle United - promoted but safe?

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
It is pretty much guaranteed that next season Newcastle United will once again be in the Premiership. I say rightly so to that one, the attitude we have shown as a team over this season has been nothing short of phenomenal. We have ripped through the championship opposition teams and euphoria is on the Toon!

However it's quite important to not get sucked in by the typical Geordie feeling that says we'll win the Premiership, survival is the game. Can our current squad cope in the Premiership? Will we do what the likes of Birmingham have done after promotion and cement that level of higher end of the mid table, or will we do what so many clubs have done in the past and go straight back down? Lets have a look at the squad:

Keeper wise we have a great Keeper in Harper, with brilliant back ups in Krul and Forster, now to get to the nitty gritty!

There's three things I've always know will happen in my life. Death, taxes and Newcastle having a shit defence. Twenty clean sheets and only twenty eight goals against us this season (compared to last seasons fifty seven goals!) means our defence is doing something right. Is it the fact that we now have a regular right back who wants to play for the team in Danny Simpson? Enrique getting out of the 'Luque effect' and performing his socks off? That sexy man Coloccini being a rock in midfield? Steven Taylor pulling out an amazing first half of the season or Williamson surprising us no end? Say what you want about Taylor, but he loves the club, and I feel he needs to stay. Not pressing charges because that's in the clubs best interest? Applaud that man.

There's also Ryan Taylor who's a good back up as right back and you have young Kadar who has impressed me so much this season. Of that all aside from Kadar have premiership experience, they have worked well this season, with silly mistakes decreased by about 84% I say we would definitely need another left back as we have no real back up for this position.

Midfield to me is the problem, lets look at it. Butt is 35 and should just up and retire, so I won't rant about him. Nolan and Smith, two guys who are rather inconsistent. If we get them in their earlier form from this season then I say kudos to them, if we get the wandering in the middle of the park not doing anything sort then don't bother, they are good to bring a bit of experience however.

Guthrie, now Danny boy when played in position is top notch, play him left or right he's not. He is definitely a player I think will cut it in the premiership if played in the right position and also for midfield is our beloved Joey. I use that term very sarcastically, but if he stays the heck out of trouble and gets on with it, not get angry and play football he can cut it, and we've seen him do that for Man City, it's time to repay the Geordie faithful.

Pancake, sorry what a waste, this guy has to go, he scored one brilliant goal and since then he's done f-all. Routledge I would take a chance with, he's pacey and has skill, a nice right winger, something we've needed since Milner. On the left Spider-man compliments him brilliantly and with him going to the world cup this year he will get some great experience. Midfield wise we could do with another left and right winger, and if it's worth another back up at centre midfield.

Striker wise this is a weird one for me. Straight off the cuff I do not think Shola can cut it in the Premiership, I say a no no to him. Then we have Best, I don't understand this guy, he scored ten goals for Coventry a shit team and then comes to us and can't score. I couldn't tell you how he'd do in the premiership, but it's not worth the risk, not unlike Lovenkrads and Carroll. Both guys are banging them in so it's worth a gamble, Carroll has improved on the pitch as a player, however he has a long way to go off the pitch if he wants to be a Geordie hero. Lovenkrads is a top bloke on and off the pitch, definitely worth keeping. I almost forgot Ranger, I think it's worth putting him out on loan for a bit, he's a good player but I don't think he's premiership ready just yet. I would like to see two proven strikers with premiership experience brought in, couldn't tell you who but it would be good.

So all in all that would be:

Out: Butt, Pancake, Shola and Best, with Ranger out on loan.

In: left Back, left winger, right winger, centre midfielder, two strikers.

On top of that a consistent managerial team is needed and I think that what Houghton has done this season has been brilliant. Give him a go at the premiership, and lets show them the same fight we showed the Championship this season. With the changes I've suggested to the squad, a sense of realism with the fans, a unity in the team (I'm looking at you Steve and Andy), some brilliant youngsters on the fringe and that determination that we have had all season that has never given up until the final whistle...I would say we're safe.

NB I wrote this for a Newcastle fanzine

I think you'll be fine, team spirit should carry you through your first season back. You're not like Burnley, a team with hardly any Premiership experience. You got relegated with pretty much the same squad you've got now and you've gone up with them. That bond should be enough to carry you through.

You're also a big enough name that you'll be able to attract better players than you would usually, much like Nottingham Forrest will probably be able to attract better players than West Brom, should they do up.

It's the season after I think you'll struggle.

With promotion all but guaranteed Mike Ashley needs to start scouting for players to strengthen the team.

Got to agree with Lee on most of his out picks but i'd keep Shola. Even just as a backup he can still do a job in the Prem. Butts past it, Best and Pancrate have done nothing, get rid. I'd add Barton and Carroll to that list as well, there both violent thugs off the pitch no matter how good they are on it, Carroll's likely to be behind bars soon anyway. The club doesn't need that kind of attention anymore, and if it comes down to a straight choice between Tayls and Carroll after their recent altercation, i'd go with Taylor every time. Let Fitz Hall go back once his loan finishes too, He's done a job as a backup but we need someone in permanently.

Coming in we're definitely going to need at least 2 proven prem strikers. Midfield we're not too bad but a back up in the centre would be a good addition, maybe Jamie o Hara. Defensively a permanent back up for centre back and a left back should be priorities.

If we can keep the team spirit going and keep the core of the team together hopefully we can manage a mid table finish next season and build from there.

Newcastle should never have gone down, and the core of your team is still there. I'm dsceptical that Harper will be as good as he is now in the top flight, but loyalty dictateshe should get at least until January to prove himself. Butt was shit 5 years ago, so I can't imagine he's remotely passable as a Premiership player now, and two attackers with a goal in 25 games between them mean that I'm with you on Best and Pancrate too.

As for staying up, you've got to think that Newcastle are better than the other two sides that will get promoted and they'll be better by whoever stays up out of Wolves, Wigan, Burnley and Hull so in that respect they'll be good. What Newcastle need to do to ensure they are safe is too get players with Premier League credentials on loan. Both Burnley and Hull have got some decent strikers, so they should be raided, and they should look out for loan signings. Someone like Daniel Sturridge or Macheda on loan are more likely to get the goals needed than some shit Senegalese striker who scores one at the World Cup.

Relegation was the best thing for your lot. Now the team have got rid of those who were there for the pay-cheques and have kept those who are serious about playing for the club. Newcastle were way too good for the Championship and the confidence brewing in the team should see them have a flying start to the season.

Also, St. James' is a fortress once more, and there is no reason why this cannot continue for a few months into the season. Burnley did it with no where near as much talent. Players like Enrique, Carroll and Nolan should be able to thrive with the new-found confidence in the League, and Gutierrez might have a World Cup Winners' medal come July, so he will either be a star for you, or will attract a big money mid which will allow new players to be bought.

A new striker is a must, though. Carroll has impressed, but I don't see him as a 15+ goals man in the Premier League. Maybe Andy Johnson can be poached on the cheap from Fulham since he won't get a game there any more. It's a risk, but I think a good one. Just don't sign Jermaine Beckford.

I reckon they'll survive comfortably. They'll finish 9th-15th along with Sunderland, Stoke and West Ham.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back