• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

British Footy Fans - Team Of The Year

Leeds Guy

Retired Former WZCW EurAsian Champ
Inspired by The Pebbles 5-a-side thread.

With the English football season over for another year there have been plenty of players who have impressed. This is your chance to acknowlege them. So what is your team of the year. Please include 11 outfield players, also you can include a manager of the year and subs if you would like. Please only include players who have played in the premiership this year. REMEMBER to give your reasons.

I'll start with mine: Standard 4-4-2 formation

Goalkeeper: Paul Robinson (Blackburn Rovers) - Very tough choice as there has been some exceptional goalies this year, but Robbo has been awesome for Blackburn, made crucial saves and kept his mistakes to a minimum after a poor couple of years.

Left Back: Ashley Cole (Chelsea) - In my opinion there is no better left back in England, probably the world. He has had a fantastic season for Chelsea and England, Bombing forward assisting the front line and vastly improving his defensive dutys, he has had a great year.

Center Back - Phil Jagielka (Everton) - Been the driving force behind Evertons 5th place push and instremental in getting them to the FA Cup final. Jags has really come into his own this year and shown what a quality player he can be.

Center Back - Nemandja Vidic (Manchester United) - Vidic has been solid as always for Man United, hardly putting a foot wrong, he's been strong in the air and probably the best center back in the premiership this year.

Right Back - Glen Johnson (Portsmouth) - Really suprised me this yeah by having a phenominal season, deserved his England call ups and has been great on the right side in a struggling Portsmouth side.

Left Midfield - Robinho (Manchester City) - One of the best in the world and has shown why with great moments of class this year, adapted pretty quickly to life in the premiership he has been frightening right backs around the country.

Right Midfield - Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United) - He had another great season in what today looks like his last for the club. He has scored some amazing goals and just like Robinho he has frightened players. Really is the best player in the world.

Center Midfield - Frank Lampard (Chelsea) - No better attacking midfielder in England, he's done his job quietly, scoring his usual goals for Chelsea and England. Probably an average season by his standards but still a solid one.

Center Midfield - Luis Antonio Valencia (Wigan Athletic) - Played a massive part in Wigans great season, scoring a fair few goals, attracted praise for his performances and throughly deserved.

Center Forward - Fernando Torres (Liverpool) - Great player + great goals = great season. He has been in fine form all year round. probably will be in everybodys team.

Center Forward - Wayne Rooney(Manchester United) - great season for Manchester United and England, he is starting to look like a genuine goalscorer and when played in the right position he is very deadly.

Inspired by The Pebbles 5-a-side thread.

The Job Squad stick together through every loss.

Erm the season finished ages ago now, I'll do my best to re-jig my memory. I'll play the faovured 4-3-3 formation by the big teams.

Goalkeeper - Mark Schwarzer
He had a great season at Fulham and led them to a superb seventh place. He was always a decent 'keeper for 'Boro but he shone moreso at Fulham. His inspired performance at St. James Park particularly all but doomed Newcastle.

Right back - Glen Johnson His finest season to date. He was superb at the back and looked like a winger flying forward. He is rumoured to have Chelsea sniffing around trying to buy him back now and rightly so after last year.

Centre back - Nemanja Vidic He was my player of the season. He only made three mistakes all season (two against Liverpool int he 4-1 and in the Champions League Final). I suppose that means he goes missing in big games, but in every other game he was outstanding. I've never seen him miss a header. I've never seen him out muscled. He is a fantastic defender. He was the main reason for United's record breaking run of clean sheets.

Centre back - Rio Ferdinand Although he missed half of the record run of clean sheets he was still a vital part of United's league winning side. He compliments Vidic so well. His ball skills are that of a midfielder, he reads the game so well and has fantastic pace. You never see him slide because he simply doesn't have to.

Left back - Patrice Evra Simply the best full back in the world. For a small man he has a great leap, he out ran Theo Walcott in the Champions League semi final and he is a constant threat steaming forward. Superb player.

Centre Mid - Frank Lampard Will people give him the credit he deserves? He would fit in the Spanish national team he is that good at passing. Gerrard gets the plaudits because he is typically British and runs with the ball often. Lampard brings others into the game and has a fierce shot from range (F.A. Cup final proved that). He is the most consistent player in the Premier League.

Centre Mid - Michael Carrick Although completely outclassed in Rome by my man-crushes Xavi and Iniesta, he is still the most technically gifted English player. If England played him and Lampard in the middle, England would never give the ball away. He has scored crucial goals at crucial times for United, especially that Wigan one in May.

Centre Mid - Steven Gerrard Damn, I tried putting Cahill or Fabregas in but even I couldn't do that. Gerrard is not as good as Lampard, but he is an outstanding player. Led by example for Liverpool this year, even if he should be in jail. His performance at St. James was one of the all time greats.

Attacking Right - Cristiano Ronaldo. What a prick. What a talented footballer. Not worth £80m, but he was crucial for United at times. He wasn't anywhere near as good as the season before but he was still too good for most defences.

Attacking Left - Ashley Young Fucking hell Capello play him already! He is the best left sided player in years for England. He is quick, deadly, and his dribbling is superb. Suffered from burn out towards the end, and Villa's form dropped at this point too.

Attacking centre - Fernando TorresHe missed lots through injury and he was quiet when he first returned, but he is still the best stirker in the world. Strong, quick and never seems to miss. If Liverpool win the league next season, it will be largely down to Torres.

GK - Robert Green West Ham United - As you said hard choice because of the quality in the league. Green gets the nod for me, Because without him WHU would have been in the bottom half, He's been that good Capello brought him back into the England squad.

LB - Ashley Cole Chelsea - I admit I was a critic of his after last season, But he definetly proved his worth this season. Without a doubt, THE best payer in this postition in the world at this time.

CB - Nemandja Vidic Manchester United - All you said and more C2X, Vidic is the perfect defender, His is an amazing tackler, Has great anticipation, Bravery, Determination, marking, heading, Strength, Even has the pace that Rio sometimes lacks.

CB - Brede Hangeland Fulham - Was the heart of Fulham's defence, Was a leader for them, Able to pick the team up, And motivate them when things were going bad.

RB - Glen Johnson Portsmouth - Again one of the best on this position this year, Has been his best season since debuting.

LM - Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester Untied - Best winger in the league bar none.

CM - Steven Gerrard Liverpool - Incredible every year, Liverpool would be nothing without him.

CM - Cesc Fabergas Arsenal - The only thing missing from his game was goals, And he got a few this year, Fab will go on and get better, And better.

RM - Luis Antonio Valencia Wigan Athletic - He's been that good this season that Man Utd want him, You don't have them interested unless your real good, And he is. Given time he could replace Ronaldo, He wont be as good, But no one is at the minute.

ST - Nicholas Anelka Chelsea - He scored a shit load of goals, Filled the void left by Drogba's absence through injury. Couldn't have asked for more from him.

ST - Wayne Rooney Manchester United - If you did ask for more, You would get this man, Really coming into his own as a goal scorer, Always had the potential, And now forfilling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back