New cross brand title similar to Hardcore title

mooseman

Pre-Show Stalwart
I'm curious to what everyone's opinion about a new title that could be basically on any show. In our current world everything is essentially distributed live be it twitter, snapchat, facebook, youtube etc etc etc. What about introducing a "24/7 Title" (would probably need a better name). It doesn't neccesarily have to be a hardcore title.

Waste of time that nobody would take seriously. Gimmick titles have difficulty being taken seriously in the first place, so just imagine how severe that'd be when a title's gimmick is that a wrestler puts it on the line all day, every single day and anywhere.

One of the reasons, at least for me though there were a number of them, that the Hardcore Championship didn't work was the 24/7 rule. In it's brief near 4 run, the WWE Hardcore Championship, due in large part to the 24/7 rule, changed hands a total of about 240 times. It's absolutely impossible for me to even remotely take a title seriously when you scenarios in which you could theoretically have 5, 6, 7, etc. different title changes with each title at any given show, which would happen every so often.

I've said this for years: Bring back the TV Title! Especially now with the brand split, you could make a mandate that the belt must be defended once a week (on any of the WWE televised shows). And given WWE (un)creative's lack of, for lack of a better word, creativity, you could literally throw 2 performers in the ring together that have no back story, put a 10-15 minute time limit on the match, and have them go at it, possibly opening up storylines (that would be hand wrapped for (un)creative) moving forward.

I like the idea of a title that jumps shows, but I don't think I'd want to work 24/7. Ideally, I would've liked a scenario where there is one world champion, who is brand specific, but having the title allows him to float. So while he defends against someone on Raw, Smackdown would be determining the #1 contender, then he goes to fight him, and Raw is getting a #1 contender, etc. I don't know how that would work in terms of building grudge matches or having the rematch clause, but I think it would help make it feel more valuable to have one world champion that takes on all comers, versus having both a champion of th world, and a champion of the universe. :p

I've said this for years: Bring back the TV Title! Especially now with the brand split, you could make a mandate that the belt must be defended once a week (on any of the WWE televised shows). And given WWE (un)creative's lack of, for lack of a better word, creativity, you could literally throw 2 performers in the ring together that have no back story, put a 10-15 minute time limit on the match, and have them go at it, possibly opening up storylines (that would be hand wrapped for (un)creative) moving forward.

That's not creative that's lazy creative. Having a title and using it as a crutch for a match each week is pointless. There would be no story behind it. It would be 2 guys fighting each week for the sake of it and would get boring quick.

As gimmicky as the hardcore title was, it's a shame that it existed in the pre-smartphone/social media world. It would have been a lot of fun to see these "impromptu" matches amateurly filmed by bystanders and then promoted by WWE. It would have been creative. But it's not a reason to bring the title back.

That being said, with the help of a few disguised stunt coordinators, there's no reason Seth Rollins couldn't jump Triple H the next time he's pumping gas or working out at the gym. No need to involve a title.

That's not creative that's lazy creative. Having a title and using it as a crutch for a match each week is pointless. There would be no story behind it. It would be 2 guys fighting each week for the sake of it and would get boring quick.

I think calling that idea even "lazy creative" is a little too much credit.

It's basically a title that'd probably be lower than the U.S. title on Jericho that is defended at mandatory weekly. It's like a day the guys backstage can't even come up for a reason for Titus O Neil to get beat up so they make a title for filler Raw matches. Even the throwaway matches on RAW stem from some sort of interaction despite how trivial it might be. Not even sure why or how the time limit deal would benefit it either.

Anyway, the 24/7 Deal.

The promotion WrestleCircus has the WC Sideshow Championship. A masked wrestler named Jervis Cottonbelly had won it off of Joey Ryan. They had built kind of a following from posting on Wreddit (Squaredcircle on Reddit) and Jervis had submitted a post asking for Squaredcircle to help him defend it. Due to a 24/7 rule though he had said he submitted, and a referee literally popped in and crowned the subreddit champion. I think it's in a 5 day current reign.

Kenny Omega had also done that prior with the whole "King of anywhere match" deal and it was entertaining. Kota Ibushi had also done similar, and there's a few other cases of the idea being implemented like the Young Buck Superkick championship's, etc.

With that being said I'm not sure how this would fit into the current WWE landscape. I think it'd be just a good as time as almost ever in comparable history, but a lot of the fun with these titles / matches came from either things WWE would never do or pure random insanity. DDT is probably the best example of a promotion doing stuff like this idea on a regular basis, and it's basically a parody. It seems for more of a "Smart fan" circle jerk than an actual thing people would want to see like the WWF/WWE Championship deal.

It is heavily gimmicky in a way that almost blends in perfectly with Indy's that blur lines or Parody / off the wall promotions. If they did anything like this I would hope they had some kind of innovative spark or direction for it, because I don't think it'd play well. It's kind of like when after the CWC a lot of people wanted a Cruiserweight title and then we saw the product we got and were like "Nah".

Also with the brand split I don't see this being a thing considering you have the NXT set of 3 Belts. The WWE UK Championship which has popped up in several Indy promotions already. The Cruiserweight belt which is mostly on 205 live story line wise. A women's belt on RAW and Smackdown that is in the case they they could even benefit from a second one and a more filled roster. Two sets of tag titles. A Universal championship and WWE title that are feuded over by top guys, and then the IC and U.S. title which is feuded over anyone and everyone near or sometimes even in the Main event scene. Then they've been mentioning other championships from different promotions. They mention the IGWP title like some kind of prestigious award when they had mentioned Styles had it, and were talking about how Lesnar held it to. ROH titles have also been mentioned.

There is just too much to take care of when you're a company even like ROH / TNA. Then if you're on NJPW's level or even around the Mexican scene there's even more. Then when we get to the massive global giant that is WWE you have enough on your plate. There are things like Southpaw Regional Wrestling that only has 4 episodes less than 10 minutes each that fans already love and are demanding more of. Then I think literally every single match on the Wrestlemania card has a legitimate complaint about it maybe minus Neville and Aries.

i dont like the idea. firstly, i kinda dont want any more championships in WWE right now. they have on RAW: Univesial, US, Cruiserweight, Womens and Tag Team titles while Smackdown has the World Heavyweight title, the IC, Tag Team and Women's title. Also, there's a United Kingdom Championship that (right now) isnt on a show. if Smackdown were 3 hours long, then sure add in a Hardcore title, but it's a two hour show so i say leave the titles alone....as for the UK Championship...i've been hoping for a while that it's defended either on NXT or on a UK wrestling show that WWE brings up and keep it off the main roster.

and i really dont like the idea of having a cross brand title because i think they should keep the raw and smackdown wrestlers seperate unless it's a ppv like wrestlemania, summerslam, survivor series or (if they bring it back) Bragging Rights.

They won't do it.... and they've already lost their chance because they had the perfect title for it.

The WWE universal title.

It's literally in the name, not a stretch at all to assume it would be defended across all their brands.

I think though, they need to do cross-brand fights. I'd recommend this with NXT as they need the most help with building into a 3rd brand, but I always liked when KO came up with the NXT title, immediately makes said person feel more important when they walk on another show with a title from another brand.

This doesn't even need to be limited to the NXT title.... they should do this with their tag & womens titles. Hell, I still think Asuka should hold her womens title when she debuts on raw/smackdown and bring her nxt title with her, and defeat the current champ and take that title, then relinquish the nxt womens title. If NXT managed to build another unstoppable undefeated woman they could run the same storyline again but with even higher stakes, the current undefeated nxt womens champion vs the previous undefeated nxt womens champion and current *brand* womens champion - possibly still undefeated.

What about this as an idea:
Have a title that is defended every week. (Say TV title). However, here's the draw:
Say you give the title to Sami Zayn. He must be challenged either on smackdown or Raw once per week. If he successfully defends the belt 10 times in a row, he gets a match for either the US title or Intercontinental title (Their choice). If he defends it 20 times in a row, he gets a shot at one the 2 heavyweight titles.

I wouldn't mind having a cross brand title. The main rule of the title would be that it would have to be defended on both Raw and Smackdown each week. It would add a bit of excitement on each TV taping as people would know that they'd be seeing at least one title match.

As enjoyable as watching the old hardcore matches is I don't think that they fit into the WWE product in 2017.

Terrible idea. I hated the 24/7 rule and it was a big part of why the Hardcore Championship was a joke. It didn't work then and it won't work now. Why would anyone care about this belt? They need to work on building up the importance of the titles they already have. The brand split has done wonders for this, for the most part. The exclusivity helps and is the best way to go from a business standpoint. Having any belt become dual-branded (whether a new one or not) is a bad idea. If they have it to where you HAVE to attend a Smackdown event in order to see a specific title be defended, that's more money for the WWE compared to if that same fan could just go to Raw instead. So I dislike the idea on both sides of what is being suggested. Introducing any dual-branded title of any kind is a bad idea at this time and using rules similar to the Hardcore Championship is an even worse idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back