• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New Commentators

Commander Batpope

Dark Match Jobber
This is my first thread.

Ok now, as you can tell by the title, I'd like new commentators. But I don't want to replace any of the commentators on the show(no matter how much I hate Cole's character). Now, here are two ideas I've had about adding to the booth.

1. A Female Commentator- I think it would be nice to have a female voice at the booth(just to let you know, I'm a guy lol). Just something different to bring to the table. They'd have to get someone who can talk(of course) and also knows their stuff. Maybe Trish Stratus? Lita?

2. Voice of the WWE Universe- Now, since Cole is 'The voice of the WWE' what if we had someone who spoke for the people? Someone who speaks, not just their opinion, but the fans opinion? And we obviously need someone to talk back to Cole, as Booker and King can't seem to say anything more than 'Shut-up!' I think it would work best if the commentator was un-scripted, able to really get his point across.

So what do you guys think?

Since I grew up on Vince/King and JR/King...Im bias. I still have my cravings for JR/King. However, since WWE is keen on keeping JR away from the booth, I guess Ill play along and pick.

1) NO FEMAL COMMENTATORS. I can't stand watching football and hearing a woman come on and try to ramble through an interview or stats. Im not sexist in any way, but I just can't stand it.

2) No commentators trying to be the voice of anything. Call the damn match and talk about the stories. Or better yet, just go back to the face/heel dynamic. It worked with Vince/Ventura, Vince/King, JR/King, and early King/Cole. Hell it worked with Heyman/JR.

If I had to pick a new set of commentators, I would go with any combo of Joey styles, JR, King, and Paul Heyman. These guys know the business and can call a match straight up. JR, Heyman, and Styles get into the action and know how to portray emotion by either just talking or not saying anything at all and just letting the wrestlers do everything.

they need a joey styles / mike tenay type commentator who actually KNOWS the names of wrestling moves, show strong emotion, and actually calls play by play.

every one says that JR is the best, but honestly, the past couple of times i heard him he is NOT as good as he used to be. he WAS the best, but not no more. he was at his best in his time in WCW and in the early attitute era. he was quick to call the action, knew the moves, and his emotion enhanced the action in the ring. but after about 2005-2006, he started faltering, i mean he would get wrestler's names wrong, he would botch the name of moves, he wasn't quick to respond on play by play.

they need to get rid of michael cole, pronto. just have him manage a heel and get heat for the guy, just don't ever have him commentate anymore. he is flat out annoying and sucks on calling play by play. 'kofi rhodes' anyone??

the commentating booth needs new blood. maybe a retired wrestler / manager who can actually keep up with all the action, call play by play, and is very intelligent about the business. i dont really have anyone in mind but like i said, a joey styles / mike tenay type guy to call the action.

keep booker t in there, although some of his quips are uncalibrated, he's still very entertaining to supplement the play by play guy. and i have no problem with josh matthews, he does an ok job. but the main replacement should be the play by play guy----michael cole has got to GO!!!

I'll throw out a couple of wild cards: Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair, HBK. Dusty was amazing in WCW from an unintentional comedy perspective, HBK did a good job in the mid-90s while injured and I think some in the Attitude Era after his back injury. Ric Flair just seems natural for it since he can talk.

As far as play-by-play, JR is the still the best, but I don't see anyone being able to carry it consistently. I think Joey Styles should have been the future of the WWE and it's obvious Michael Cole is abysmal (even when he wasn't a heel)....they really don't have anyone talented enough to do it. I think JR needs to be back behind the desk until they find a younger guy who is actually talented. That's not Cole.

There is only one woman that could be a commentator that would work and that is Doris Burke. If you haven't heard her, she is the best in the business. And the first woman to call commentary and play by play for a major college conference.

She reminds me of Gordon Solie. [ I was lucky enough to meet him during the GCW days...]

Edge is actually the most intelligent thing I've ever heard. Totally makes sense. Booker T's voice is just not made for calling a match.

I did like the idea of VKM coming back, but it was better when we "didn't know he was the boss.../wink." I'd be weird, but kind of awesome to hear him calling a match again.

And yes, I really wish someone in the booth would actually call the action. Gorilla, Vince, and JR were expert at calling the play by play, and it is needed. People need to know what is actually going on, what's that move called, why'd he do that, and to add impact to the action. Contrary to unpopular belief, the kids don't know a suplex from a duplex. They might know the signature name of a move, but now what it does or anything. The same thing is going on in all other sports too, so it's not secluded to wrestling. No one wants to be the "boring old play by play guy" anymore. Everyone wants to add color and their opinion.

Oh, and I also throw my voice against a female commentator. I have yet to hear one who put the effort into her segments at the booth that didn't make me want to throw something. It's what you get when you hire models and not wrestlers.

New Commentators/Announcers? Not yet, I'm fine thanks.

However, in the future, when a couple of certain wrestlers have given up on their in-ring stuff, I'd love to see them move to the announce booth.

CM Punk is one of them. He's just that entertaining on Commentary. When he was injured, VKM done the right thing by putting Punk at the table and every week it was enjoyable. Also, Mark Henry. It sounds weird, but recently he announced a match on Smackdown & he was good!

But I have not much left to say on this matter apart from that with Cole & Booker & Lawler, I'm ok for now. Maybe Lawler's losing it a bit, but it's working for me.

Edge is actually the most intelligent thing I've ever heard. Totally makes sense. Booker T's voice is just not made for calling a match.

I did like the idea of VKM coming back, but it was better when we "didn't know he was the boss.../wink." I'd be weird, but kind of awesome to hear him calling a match again.

And yes, I really wish someone in the booth would actually call the action. Gorilla, Vince, and JR were expert at calling the play by play, and it is needed. People need to know what is actually going on, what's that move called, why'd he do that, and to add impact to the action. Contrary to unpopular belief, the kids don't know a suplex from a duplex. They might know the signature name of a move, but now what it does or anything. The same thing is going on in all other sports too, so it's not secluded to wrestling. No one wants to be the "boring old play by play guy" anymore. Everyone wants to add color and their opinion.

Oh, and I also throw my voice against a female commentator. I have yet to hear one who put the effort into her segments at the booth that didn't make me want to throw something. It's what you get when you hire models and not wrestlers.

VKM was awesome at play by play? He doesn't know the difference between a leglock and a wrist lock. If VKM calls a match, every move would be called "what a maneuver" or "a devastating maneuver." VKM was the worst play by play they ever had. He was just fortunate to have Jesse Ventura, King or even Heenan on colour commentary to cover up Vince's shortcomings.

A female commentator wouldn't work. Broads are to be seen not heard. That might sound like a bad stereotype, but the truth is nobody will ever give a woman credibility on play by play. One might someday make it as a colour commentator, but that's it.

I wish when King retires from announcing that they'd bring Styles and Gertner on to announce Raw, but that'll never happen.

Wlliams Regal has a Future as s Colour, and I have been impressed with Josh Mathews, as for future Three man booth, Regal (Colour) Byron Saxton and Josh Mathews could be a good team

As a child I wanted to be the commentator doing the play by play. I knew all the moves for every wrestler and at times would mute the tv and do just that for family and friends. Today, I think I'd like to do color commentary because it seems as though every wrestler has a different name for the same move.

My husband is trying to get me over to take some university classes in broadcast journalism and then try to work with some of the local independents. He agrees that I would probably do better on color commentary than play by play with my knowledge on everyone's background and the history of pro wrestling. But enough about me.

As far as play by play goes, I remember reading last year that WWE wanted to move away from so much play by play and work more on the commentators telling the stories and getting fans interested in the characters, not the action, because after all, they're superstars and divas not wrestlers or athletes. I think that's why we no longer have the Gordon Solie's or old school, as in Mid-South, Jim Ross.

I agree with others that we need a definite heel and face in the booth. This would also leave a place for a third member who at times has to try and keep the peace between the two. Yes, the heel and face could on occasion praise someone unexpectedly or agree with one another sometimes, but there is too much of the same voice for everyone in WWE right now. TNA has Tenay screaming into the mic while Taz just sits there yawning about the same event. I just don't see them as a good fit. Also, neither gives a full heel or face mentality to the booth.

Ok I will put this out there..... Matt Stryker. on ECW he was brilliant and one week they had him along with JR on one of the weeklies and that too was just epic. Why they got rid of him and Booker T is allowed on the desk i will never know......

Joey Styles - would he work well with others or want to be solo commentator? that would be my only reserve with him.

JR - on one hand get him back, the booth needs him. on the other hand i know he is doing backstage work etc, but when trips brought him back for a few weeks it was really good for the ears.

Punk - As we all know CM can talk, and well. Also he can bring his commentary blazer with him.

Mark Henry - better than booker..... Henry at least made me laugh when he was on commentary, think show and bryan were wrestling and he said "Can't they both lose?"
1,000,000,000 better than anything booker has brought to the table since the infamous hulk hogan slip

I always enjoyed how well JBL handled Michael Cole in commentary. And he did a good job at coming across as a guy with a flawed perspective as the "heel" color commentator without going overboard. And Michael Cole was good at holding his own against JBL at times but his character wasn't the overbearing douche it's evolved into when JBL was around. I want those two back the way they were.

I have to go with William Regal. He is well spoken and has the experience to actually know what is going on the ring as well. He would make a great color guy.

I think a female voice on Smackdown would be great. During certain matches only. You'd have her, the nice guy Josh Mathews, Cole going against everything she says, and well she would be a little break time for Booker T since all he does is say catchphrases. Its doesnt have to be permanent but I think SD is the more fun show and a much more nicer voice would do the trick. This could lead to a rivalry between her and someone like Beth Pheonix.

Having watched NXT, I have to say Regal needs to be moved to RAW or Smackdown, make him Colour commentator on one of these 2 shows, NXT has been great for his experience but he certainly can story tell, has a voice I can stand, can be heel/face/neutral without being over bearing. Reminds me of the old school commentators like Bobby Heenan, Jesse Ventura where even if they have a bias towards a heel or face, they will always acknowledge the opponents talents and strengths to put them over.

I do like the idea of new commentators. I have some combinations.

1. Edge and Lita. Yes. Come on, these two work so well together and could easily make great commentaries in the WWE. Edge is retired. Lita is retired. So why not?(for Smackdown)

2. Josh Matthews, Road Dogg and Vickie Guerrero. Bare with me. Matthews and Road Dogg are hilarious on "Are You Serious?" and actually have knowledge of wrestling (more Road Dogg than Matthews of course). Vickie has more heat than Cole. Vickie on commentary would rival the probable face commentators in this situation Matthews and Road Dogg. (for Smackdown)

3. King and Heyman. For RAW especially they need to have at least one familiar commentator. King over Cole any day. Heyman is fantastic, I mean what can I say about him. With King, there could be some funny and interesting commentaries.(for RAW)

4. Booker T and Scott Standford. Recycled guys for NXT. They're into new talent. They work hard. Standford's underrated and Booker needs a break. Leave him here for a while to let him rest. (for NXT)

5. CM Punk and Stone Cold Steve Austin. CM Punk wont be on Superstars in a while, if at all in the future. He is a great commentator and could be a good experiment. Him and Stone Cold are friends and are both great on the mic. Punk is the WWE Champion and would be entertaining as a part-time commentator. (for Superstars)

WWE have a perfect blend of commentators at the present moment in time. No need to add or subtract.

Michael Cole, although sometimes horrible, does the job of a biased heel commentator. I don't like the way in-which he calls matches, but his ability to draw heat is unquestionable and if anybody ever drew heat off of the fans contempt for Michael Cole, it was The Miz. Michael Cole does his job well. Jerry Lawler is a veteran commentator at this point and has called a lot of great matches, sometimes when his voice falls flat and serious he can tell a story better than most give him credit for. He has knowledge of the business and is a respected legend, a perfect fit for the color commentary position.

Booker T falls under the same criteria as Jerry Lawler. Veteran wrestler with a good knowledge of the business, although I don't personally find Booker amusing or entertaining I can see why they have him doing what he's doing, he gives a unique perspective in a lot of situations and at times contributes to matches; "Oh my goodness," speaks for itself. Hes already got a few one-liners which people quote, which means people are listening to what he says, which is his job.

Josh Matthews is personally my favorite commentator in the WWE today. He is pretty sarcastic towards Cole and this sometimes leads to them bickering, he doesn't play the heel or face role and merely sits on the fence. When Cole and Booker quarrel over something insignificant, Matthews in the middle does a pretty solid job of telling the action. He is still young, has been around the WWE for over a decade now doing odd jobs, most notable as commentator and interview and to me has a bright future in the role of WWE commentator.

Then we have the little seen or heard from Scott Stanford and Matt Striker. They called Superstars this week, and they're pretty good. Striker as we know can get very technical at times and smart and that sometimes detracts from what we're watching, I don't want to know the ins-and-outs of every hold, or its origin, Joey Styles used to do this but add a sarcastic edge at times so it was humorous, Striker doesn't do that. Stanford is just good, nothing special, nothing bad, his voice is pretty noticeable so that'll benefit him in the future.

WWE don't need to add another commentator in any form, they've got Jim Ross on stand-by for the big matches or events when needed and William Regal is currently commentating for both NXT and Florida Championship Wrestling, getting good responses from fans, as he fits the color commentator mold like a glove, much like Booker T and Jerry Lawler, veteran wrestler, with great knowledge and gives a colorful perspective. What much more can you ask for? Nothing. Hence why the commentators should stay the same and probably, will.

2. Josh Matthews, Road Dogg and Vickie Guerrero. Bare with me. Matthews and Road Dogg are hilarious on "Are You Serious?" and actually have knowledge of wrestling (more Road Dogg than Matthews of course). Vickie has more heat than Cole. Vickie on commentary would rival the probable face commentators in this situation Matthews and Road Dogg. (for Smackdown)

I disagree with Vickie as she would be even more annoying than Cole.

But now that you mention it I think a duo of Road Dogg and Matthews would be pretty damn good. Road Dogg IMO would make a great color commentator as he's got that natural "radio" voice and tons of personality/experience. Maybe try them out on NXT or something and see if it works well, then move them up to one of the main shows.

I'm not sure if JR wants to come back on a full time basis, but if a new commentator needs to emerge, it should be William Regal. Regal is a breath of fresh air and can do much better color analysis than Booker T (obvious) and Jerry Lawler.

Unfortunately, commentary in the English language in the world of professional wrestling is a lost art. That's why I listen to the Spanish announce team of Carlos Cabrera and Marcelo Rodriguez during the matches on Raw

I've always liked Matt Striker. I think he could be a good play by play man with a toned down Michael Cole as a heel announcer and Booker T or King playing the role of main color commentator.

2 words. MATT FREAKING STRIKER.

Matt Striker was an amazing commentator, who truly did have passion for the buisness and knew his stuff. He talked about it like a sports commentator should, and in turn made the product feel more legit.

I'd have Matt Striker, William Regal, Lawler, JR, and Michael Cole.

These guys know their wrestling and Cole would work well off of Lawler and JR who are great commentators.

Legitimate commentators plus entertaining commentators.

JR, Styles, Heyman and No Female.

Fact is, whenever a Diva sits down at the table, it consists of King hitting on her and some bs about the 1500th feud she's had that year. They're boring to listen to and aren't strong enough character wise.

Styles and Heyman were the perfect loudmouth heels, and they blow away anything Cole has done at the announce table. We also all know that JR is the god of announcing. He belongs at the table, but doesn't really want to come back (which is a shame).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back