NBA Lockout

People's Champ

Bleeding Teal
So the NBA lockout is 5 days old, but this is just the start. Listening to everyone talk about it, it seems as though the outcome looks bleak. While there are those who are trying to compare the two lockouts (the other, of course, being the NFL), there really is no comparision.

While the NFL is shut down because they can't figure on how to share $9 billion, the NBA is under far different circumstances. 22 teams are said to be operating in the red, that is, losing money. In fact, its said that these team will actually lose less money if they don't play a game this season than if they were to have a season. What that means is the owners are prepared to keep this thing going until the players give. The players would have you believe that that just isn't the case for these teams. But no matter who is right here, the only ones that really suffer are we the fans.

Here is where my questions for you come. Considering the NBA is not as big as the NFL, and there could be an argument as to whether the MLB or NBA are the 2nd biggest sports league, the NBA is not invincable to the effects of a lockout. So, then, my questions are:

How will the lockout affect your view of the NBA?

What effect, if any, will the lockout have on the NBA and its fanbase?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer most, if not all, will have for the 1st question, but your it will be great to hear your answer anyway. As for the 2nd question, a lot of different predictions are out there, time to hear yours as well.

The NBA along with the NFL are my favorite leagues in all of sports so obviously if there is a lockout I will be pissed but it isn't going to stop me from watching the sport. Once it comes back I will be just as big a fan as I was before.

If games are missed then the affect will obviously be negative. Anytime a major sport loses part of its season it is going to have a negative affect. The NBA right now is the second most popular of the four major sports and a lockout where games are missed would certainly affect that. The NBA is coming off a tremendously successful season and popularity is at a major high. With the entire Miami situation and the Dallas upset, not to mention the Lakers and Celtics still as contenders, the Knicks starting to return to prominence, and all of the young superstars the league has, the NBA cannot afford a lockout.

The NBA needs to fix its' problems. The league is watered down with too many teams. Too many teams will spread out the talent. Back in the 80s there were many teams worth watching. Today very few teams are worth watching. I hope they remove up to 4 teams.

Very little. I know what these sports leagues, the owners, and the players are all about. I'm not surprised or even disappointed when greed comes to the forefront of any issue.

There is an inherent flaw in all sports leagues that will never be completely fixed; trying to have a collective will among competing entities. They all need each other to survive but at the same time are trying to compete with each other. If it wasn't bad enough among the teams, then you also have the players who collectively have the money, public profile, and support of the fans with which to wield influence.

It's going to suck that we'll lose games, and perhaps even a season. But it won't make me any less of a fan in 2012 when they come back.

The effect will vary from fanbase to fanbase. You won't have any problems in Boston, New York, Los Angeles, etc. Maybe a few casual bandwagoners who've jumped on in the last couple of years will fall away, but for the most part they won't see a change.

The scary things are the prospects for places like Memphis, Atlanta, New Orleans, and other small markets who've already struggled. Basketball seemed dead in Memphis until this year's big playoff surge by the Grizzlies. They'll have probably lost all of that momentum when the season returns. Same thing for the Hawks. For the Hornets, Bobcats, and other teams that were already about to die, this could be the death blow.

Ideally, this would be a 26-team league with four divisions in two conferences. However, even if you cut four teams, you're still going to have some problems with existing franchises in some markets. If I could wave a wand, here's what I'd do:

- Contract the Hornets and Bobcats outright. They don't have enough history to merit further consideration. New Orleans can't support a team and we already knew that Charlotte wouldn't work. Why the league tried to go back there is baffling.

- Merge the Clippers and Kings into a new Anaheim-based franchise. The Maloofs are bankrupt and Donald Sterling is a cancer on the league, so just create a new franchise and sell to the highest bidder. The Clippers will never succeed while trying to share L.A. with the Lakers. This creates a new team with its own geographic identity and that would have a great young roster with Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins joining Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon.

- Move the Grizzlies back to Canada and merge with the Raptors. Despite being as bad and unmarketable as a team can be, the Raptors have managed to remain a viable business with middle-of-the-pack attendance numbers. You get a solid team going there and they will do fine. It's only a 90-min flight to New York City. I'd come up with a new name and have a "reset" of trying to do basketball in Canada.

- Move the Milwaukee Bucks to Seattle. There is a perfectly ripe, sustainable NBA market there as long as someone is willing to spend a little money up front. Get the stadium issue fixed and basketball will thrive for years to come. The Bucks are having issues where they are and, even if they were to get a new stadium done, that city is never going to support a franchise in this economy.

- Give the Hawks a few more years to try and make it work in Atlanta. They finally have something going with their roster and some marketable stars. If the fans still don't show, then move the team to Kansas City or one of the other markets David Stern has said are interested.

Probably the same. Might get me to appreciate it more once it's back. But at this moment I'm not sure if I can survive without basketball.

This is horrible things for the NBA after coming off such a spectacular season the fanbase obviously grew. With all the player emerging and some players headed to Europe, it's a definite bump in the road. Many player are just saying without a season they will probably retire, it's a sad thing. We know the very loyal basketball fans will be ack but the knew and casual fans might be lost and the NBA has to try their best to make some money.

There is a minimal chance the lockout will end, but let's hope.

Thw whole NBA situation is quite hairy at the moment. They aren't even meeting until August, which is a freaking joke. You think you'd like to have some urgency here, no?

This is different than the NFL one in that the way the NBA system is set up is flawed and a lot of teams are actually losing money. At this point both sides seem to be doing more finger pointing and whatnot that showing any real desire to negotiate. Bill Simmons had a really good article on Grantland about the lockout, you should definitely read it if you want to get an idea about what this whole thing is about.

August is actually better. It's like fighting with your girl for 3 days and needing a break before you see her face again. If they did it any sooner, there is a good chance they would piss each other off until they don't talk again until October.

The owners have their heads up their ass really. They want their money back but who gave the players the money? OWNERS. They want a system that makes small market teams competitive. How? The Utah Jazz traded Deron Williams at random to rebuild. How is that bigger markets faults?

How is it the players fault that some idiot owner gave Joe Johnson 120 million contract and your team is losing money and can't draw fans consistently? If Joe was a superstar people would pay to see a PLAYOFF team. But again, they are losing money but signing high salary contracts. While teams like the Knicks sign Amare and Melo and sell out 2012 tickets in less than 20 minutes of the Melo trade.

The new system would ruin Lakers, Mavs, Magic, Knicks from building a contender which is totally unfair. The flex cap would ruin any teams from signing role players. And the role players would have to accept 1 million dollar deals which is a slap in the face.

August is actually better. It's like fighting with your girl for 3 days and needing a break before you see her face again. If they did it any sooner, there is a good chance they would piss each other off until they don't talk again until October.

The owners have their heads up their ass really. They want their money back but who gave the players the money? OWNERS. They want a system that makes small market teams competitive. How? The Utah Jazz traded Deron Williams at random to rebuild. How is that bigger markets faults?

How is it the players fault that some idiot owner gave Joe Johnson 120 million contract and your team is losing money and can't draw fans consistently? If Joe was a superstar people would pay to see a PLAYOFF team. But again, they are losing money but signing high salary contracts. While teams like the Knicks sign Amare and Melo and sell out 2012 tickets in less than 20 minutes of the Melo trade.

The new system would ruin Lakers, Mavs, Magic, Knicks from building a contender which is totally unfair. The flex cap would ruin any teams from signing role players. And the role players would have to accept 1 million dollar deals which is a slap in the face.

I hate the NBA. It's the least of my favourite sports out of the big 4 in North America. I heard someone in another post say the NBA was the second most popular sport of the 4. I feel it has lost that distinction to MLB, years ago even, but that's neither here nor there. I'm bring this guys post to question. The owners aren't at fault in this mess (entirely at least). Hard pressing agents and whining ass players are as much the reason. It's not Atlanta's fault that some suit is telling them unless they sign this player to this amount of money, he'll go and sign with NY or LA for 20 million less. It's not the owners fault that certain players compare salaries as much as they compare stats. Yes, no player is going to walk away and say no when 20 million is on the table, but it's usually the players and their agents that try to squeeze every dollar they can from the owners.

Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Rose, Howard, etc, none of these players are going to sign with a mid or low market team like Atlanta, so who else is Atlanta going to go after? You ask why they signed Johnson if he wasn't going to draw fans, who the F- else would Atlanta have signed? None of those guys would've, Amare and Melo wouldn't have, and I'm sure many others around their talents wouldn't either. Reasons why Atlanta felt obligated to sign secondary players to top player salaries, reasons why Utah needs to trade their star players, is big market franchises fault. To try and compete with them, to ensure they get something. As we've seen with Miami, as we seen with Boston, they can build contenders at will and sell out tickets, but how does that help the league as a whole? These teams, given their urban populations and sport heritage, should sell out tickets, regardless. Lakers, Mavs, Heat, Knicks, they do sell out tickets, they do make money, off year or championship year. It's the other 22 other teams that need help. They need to be able to sign quality stars so their fans have reasons to come. Stars won't take a sniff at Atlanta or Minnesota or Portland. You know why Toronto, a large enough market compared to most NBA cities, can't make money and compete? Because Vince Carter doesn't want to play in TO. Tracy McGrady didn't either, and now Chris Bosh left. How is Toronto supposed to make money and compete if, the star players simply go to the highest bidder or biggest market. How is Toronto supposed to bring in fans if they have to wait until Miami, LA, Boston, or some other star laden team comes to Toronto to play them because no casual fan wants to see some players that would be riding the bench elsewhere play.

I don't see how implementing a new salary system where 6 or 8 cities can't build a championship team every season is unfair. Who cares if Knicks or Lakers can't build championship teams. At the end of the season, they will make money, win or lose. It seems more unfair that Golden State, Sacramento, Oakland, Memphis, Utah, Milwaukee, etc, will never amount to anything unless they draft exceptionally well for 3 straight years, and thus can never make money or contribute to the league as a whole.

Recession is everywhere. I don't see why sports athletes shouldn't expect a pay cut. Role players should expect a million a season or more. They play 6 or 12 minutes a game. I know they're on the road and practice daily, but to say you toss around a ball for about 10 minutes 4-6 days a week and get paid millions is absurd.

The players need to get their asses out of their heads. They're being played millions doing something they've enjoyed doing for years. There playing in a league they dreamed about since they were in school. They play in a sport with the fewest amount of players on a team, thus have opportunities for every player on the team to make at least 1 million and the stars 10 million, and their team salary would still be under that of most NFL, MLB, and NHL franchises. The owners say their losing money, if the NHL lockout taught me anything, they ain't bluffing. The players are only hurting themselves more by refusing to compromise. At the end of it all, it's the league that gets hurt because the fans feel they will be cheated out of a season and that in turn hurts the players more. The owners will not budge on this matter until they can ensure a system of revenue sharing and controlled salaries where they can make money, just as the NHL did a few years back. Sports is a business and in order to do good business, both sides must be seeing green and not red. The players, regardless, will be paid better than any doctor, police officer, solider, politician, lawyer, investment advisor, repair man, and just about any other job that's more important, so they need to do what's best and listen to what the owners are trying to tell them. They have to think about the betterment of the league 10 years down the road and ensuring every owner makes money, cause when every team makes money, every player will make more money.

Isn't that all worth ensuring the future of you league and your own financial wealth?

Reactions: gd
That is the real problem here for a small market team, you have to strike gold in the draft lottery (OKC with Durant and Westbrook) to really even have a chance. As Showtime said, Atlanta really had no choice to pya Joe Johnson. Sure, he didn't deserve what he got, but he's as close to a superstar as will ever want to go there. Same thing with the Pacers and Granger and a few others.

What really kills teams is when they hand out stupid contracts to the likes of Hakim Warrick, Travis Outlaw, Eddy Curry, etc for absurd amounts. It's not so much paying the stars, it's the shit contracts they pay the other guys.

Not sure where I'm going with this, it's getting a bit rambly, but the bottomline is this isn't merely about distribution of assets like the NFL Lockout, the whole NBA system needs revamped and that's going to be a long, hard, process.

PS - Yes, the NBA is definitely number 2 to the NFL at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back