Mysterio Vs Rhodes at Mania?

Jacob

Occasional Pre-Show
In a recent post by Pro Wrestling Torch, Rey Mysterio has suffered an injury to his rotator cuff and is currently working through it. His hope is that he would be able to rehabilitate the injury without having to resort to surgery.

The injury was sustained when doing a show overseas when doctors advised him not to fly due to an inner ear infection. However, he was asked by officials to continue and Rey agreed only to have an injury to the rotator cuff later on.

For now, officials asked Mysterio to "hand pick" his opponent to be able to do spots on television and not have an arduous schedule that will not aggravate his injury. He selected "Dashing" Cody Rhodes and the feud seemed to catch notice when Rhodes decided to do his interview with his back facing the camera on SmackDown, just one week prior to Royal Rumble 2011.

Does this mean potential? Absolutely, since the two have never formally faced each other with a story behind them. A plan, for now, is to continue this feud up to conclude at WrestleMania 27, but what type of chemistry would be seen between the two?

Well, for one, both have distinct styles that would really create a nice shift in pace at WrestleMania with Mysterio being more of a high-flyer and Rhodes relying on technique.

Secondly, the generation factor also plays in with Mysterio being the veteran wrestler against an emerging Superstar in the WWE that could really help Rhodes in the long run when establishing himself further.

Expect this match to take place early on in the event, around the third or fifth match of the night. Typically, the first two matches are the opening matches for WrestleMania without much of a strong story line, but just a minor feud. However, the rivalry between Mysterio and Rhodes can evolve beautifully throughout February and most of March with the two running into each other frequently trying to prove to one another who is the better performer.

The main theme from this match will most likely be age since Rhodes has been great at showing his cocky attitude with boasts of being the most handsome wrestler on the rosters and Mysterio's motive being to teach Rhodes a sense of humility and honor.

Over the month, Rhodes can establish himself as being the young student trying to prove himself too quickly and Mysterio will definitely be a great mentor at this and teach Rhodes that looks and words are not everything.

Sound childish? Oh definitely, the demographic for WWE is targeting younger children so why not offer "educational" and "informative" material by teaching kids the importance of being humble and less selfish.

Moreover, the match will typically be having the two try to show each other off as to who can perform their moves better than the other. A contest of a "I Can Do Anything You Can Do," to simplify the previous comment, as the match itself would last around eight to 10 minutes in length before Rey Mysterio picks up a victory with his trademark 619 finisher!

In the conclusion to this, Rhodes would still hold a grudge and not accept the defeat so easily and will continue to feud with Mysterio before turning his attention to the Intercontinental Championship in mid-2011. If done right, this feud could even contend as being the Feud of the Year! Why not?

Well, hopefully this posting can create conversations between us and see if this match does have potential or is it just a filler for WrestleMania? What do you think?

In my opinion that wouldn't be worth my time. Thoughts?

I think this is an ideal match for both guys and the promo Cody did with his back to camera was gold, setting up the rivalry perfectly. Their styles will gel well and Cody will give Rey someone light to work with which should open up more possibilities in the ring.

I think the premise of the match is going to be that Cody feels Rey purposely damaged his handsome face because he's jealous, hell cite that Rey wears a mask to hide his ugliness and will make it his mission to remove the mask and show everyone the ugly face of Rey, whilst also stomping on his heritage as revenge.

This is the type of fast paced match up I could see opening Mania to get the crowd up from the get go and set the pace straight out of the shoot.

I think this would be a great midcard match and good use of Mysterio's talents and notoriety. It's widely reported that Mysterio has been working hurt for a long time and is due for some time off, so it is likely that Wrestlemania could be one of his last matches before he disappears for a little while.

If Mysterio puts over Cody Rhodes at Mania it could help Rhodes move up in the card. Right now I'd say he's just about right smack dab in the middle of the mid card. He's definitely got a great character and is good enough in the ring, but he just can't seem to get the heat necessary to bump him up on the card. A win over Mysterio will give Cody something to brag about in the future and if Mysterio disappears for a while, Cody can talk about how he ended Rey Mysterio's career. That will definitely get him heat, especially with the kids.

And perhaps most importantly, both these guys can put on a good match. Rey has put on some terrific matches with CM Punk and Chris Jericho, I see no reason he won't be able to put on one with Cody. I find Cody to be very underrated in the ring, and I have always found him quite enjoyable. These guys have been working together often enough to start to get a feel for each other and they should be able to put on a pretty solid match together at Mania, and that will not only benefit them, but the whole card as well. Putting them in a match together is a fantastic idea.

I think Cody Rhodes and Rey Mysterio could put on a great match at Wrestlemania. I did not even think about Rhodes and Mysterio having a match at Mania until I ran across this thread. I like the idea. There is storyline potential and I do think that it would be worth my time if it was booked well.

I really hope this match takes place. It has a bit of an old school feel to it. It has a nice build that's started slowly but will probably accelerate after the ppv tonight. It's hard to get a singles match at mania nowadays unless you're one of the main event guys. This would be a great opportunity for Rhodes. I hate when all the mid card guys who have worked hard all year just get thrown into a MITB clusterfuck at mania. Everyone just gets lost in the shuffle. Rhodes deserves a singles match at mania. So do Ziggler, McIntyre, Kingston, Brayn, and others but that's just wishful thinking. I will be very satisfied with Rhodes vs. Mysterio one on one at mania.

Not much of a fan for Cody Rhodes, but the build up is definably a good one. The face mask is a nice touch. It's simple and pretty intriguing. Is Rhodes changing his character again? Is he in line for a push after this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back