My Video Game reviews

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
My Graphic Novel Review thread is mildly popular and I love playing my PS1 & PS3 so I've been toying with doing this for a week or so. The concept is the same as the other. I will have set criteria and some final thoughts. I will rate it out of 5 stars. I have a Gamefly account as well a small collection so I'll be able to update this fairly regularly. I'm going to start with one of my favorites.

Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)

Graphics: The Graphics are some of the better I've seen on this console. They're clean, crisp and you can tell who is who & what is what.

Game Mechanics: you move the joystick and the character goes that way. You may scoff that I'm adding this when most of my collection is PS3 but I've played some games with shitty mechanics even on the PS3

Replayability: 100% replayability. You can go through so many different origin stories to start and every choice you make changes things up a bit to make it different than the last time you played. Which is the main reason i love it so much

How much I liked it/final thoughts: Easily my favorite in the trilogy as well as one of my all time favorites. I'm racking my brain to try to come up with something negative to say and I can't think of anything.

My rating: * * * * * out of 5 stars

Up Next
Doom 3: BFG Edition

Doom 3: BFG Edition (PS3)

Graphics: The Graphics are pretty good. They're clean, crisp and you can tell who is who & what is what.

Game Mechanics: A little bit touchy for me personally. When I would point my weapon at an enemy I would over shoot and have to carefully aim, all the while being shot at.

Replayability: This edition has some replayability due to having Doom 1 & 2 as well as some downloads tacked on but after all those are beat this game will probably be sitting on your shelf for a while before you pick it back up.

How much I liked it/final thoughts: The first of many games I didn't finish due to it not sucking me in like a good game should. I don't like many FPS games in the first place and this one isn't much different than all the others I don't care for. Something happens, you need to stop it all the while shooting at whatever gets in your way. there isn't much variety to this genre or I just haven't found the right ones.

My rating: * * out of 5 stars
Up Next
Folklore

Gamefly is taking longer than usual so i decided to review a game I've beaten about a dozen times now.

Dead Island (PS3)

Graphics: The Graphics are pretty good as most PS3 graphics are. No complaints from me.

Game Mechanics: The mechanics were above average if a bit touchy. It wasn't enough to take me out of the game though.

Replayability: I would put the replayability at about 80%. There are 4 different characters to choose from and each has a different main weapon they like using (blunt, blades, guns etc...) and each character has different talents and abilities to choose from. The storyline doesn't change at all and any character can use any weapon so...

How much I liked it/final thoughts: I love zombie games and this one stands the test of time. I recommend this game to any Zombie fan or if you're having a bad day and just want to beat the shit out of something and not get arrested.

My rating: * * * *3/4out of 5 stars

Borderlands Game of the Year Edition (PS3)

Graphics: I think the graphics are awesome. It's 3D but still manages to have the comic 2D feel to it.

Game Mechanics: Really no issue here either. Everything was smooth and crisp.

Replayability: They claim that you will never get the same exact weapon twice so I guess there is some replayability there. If you get the the GotY edition like I did there is more replayability outside the main storyline so there is that as well. Outside the guns though all the stories

How much I liked it/final thoughts: I love RPGs but I don't like most FPS so this game is a bit of a mixed bag for me. Luckily the RPG elements and the Graphics themselves make this one of my favorite games I own.

My rating: * * * * 1/2 out of 5 stars

Alice Madness Returns (PS3)

Graphics: The Graphics are some of my favorite. They look like something straight out of a Tim Burton Movie..

Game Mechanics: They're a bit touchy. I can't count how many times I've tried jumping over a small hole only to fall because, even though i pressed the jump button, nothing happens.

Replayability: Not much replayability. Nothing changes like the guns do in Borderlands and it's a rather linear world so you can't explore like you'd be able to in Skyrim.

How much I liked it/final thoughts: Not a bad game by any means, in fact it's quite good. I've beaten in and it's been sitting on a shelf though so there's that. I recommend buying it cheap if you do buy it. If not still play it just find someone to borrow it from.

My rating: * * * 1/2 out of 5 stars

Resident Evil 1 (PS1)

Graphics: By todays standards they're absolutely shit. Back in the late 90s early 00s when I first played it though they were pretty awesome.

Game Mechanics: I hate game movement where one joystick has you strafe and the other has you spin around in a circle and you need to coordinate the 2 so you can move coherently.

Sadly this is a game like that.

Replayability: the game is linear but there is decent Replayability just based on the fact you can play as both Jill Valentine & Chris Redfield with both having a slightly different storyline and both characters have certain items the other doesn't.

How much I liked it/final thoughts: The second game in the series after Resident Evil 2 this games helped fan the flames of my love for the franchise that the 2nd game lit in my heart. If it wasn't for the shit movement this game would be getting a full score.

My rating: * * * * 3/4 out of 5 stars

Tales from the Borderlands (PS3)

Graphics: Standard for the series. Awesome drawn on 2D effect that I love.

Game Mechanics: Noyhing wrong here. Not touchy at all and I shot at everything i was pointing at (although not necessarily what I was aiming for).

Replayability: 100% Replayability although not for the same reason as before. This is a turn based style game from TellTale games so every decision you make and everything you make the character say has an affect on things later in the game.

How much I liked it/final thoughts: I took a chance with this one as I didn't even know it was a turn based style game when I got it. I'm glad i did though as it's an awesome game. It also sets up another game in the series

My rating: * * * * 3/4 out of 5 stars

Up Next
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PS3)

Game Mechanics: In this one you're on a moon a lot and the O2 kit you use to breath also let's you glide through the air which I've found to be a bit touchy.

Replayability: 100% Replayability as per the usual. You've got 4 different characters each with 3 different skill trees to choose from every time you level up. This means even if you play as the same character you can do it differently from the last time you played it.

How much I liked it/final thoughts: I love this entire series. The only one I don't own is Tales and that's vonna change here soon.

Up Next
Borderlands 2

Borderlands 2 GOTY Edition (PS3)

Game Mechanics: it messes up just a little bit by not jumping when i hit the jump button but it doesn't happen that often so i can easily overlook it.

Replayability: 100% Replayability as per the usual. Especially if you've got the Game of the Year Edition (which I do).

How much I liked it/final thoughts: Quite easily my favorite game in the series (and possibly of all time) and most of that is because of the GOTY. It gives you 4 other campaigns as well a shit ton of optional missions for each map. You also have 2 different characters to play as.

My favorite feature is True Vault Hunter Mode. Once you beat the main storyline it gives you the option of starting over in True Vault Hunter Mode. If you choose this you start the game over but you keep everything from the level you were at to your weapons and stats. Because you're stronger so are the enemies so while you may have breezed through the game before you won't this time trust me. I usually don't like playing my games on the hardest mode but there's something about this game that no matter how many times I die in the exact same spot due to the exact same twat that killed me the last 50 times I keep coming back for more like some Masochist in his favorite leather gimp outfit.

My rating: * * * * * * out of 5 stars (I really, really, really love this game so I'm pulling a Meltzer)

My series rating: * * * * * out of 5 stars
Up Next
Diablo II

Diablo II (PC)

Graphics: I remember thr graphics being pretty good when I was younger. They hold up ok all these years later as well

Game Mechanics: This one depends entirely on your PC. Play it on a crappy computer you get crappy mechanics. A good computer gives you good mechanics.

Replayability: 95% Replayability. You have 4 (6 with the expansion) different characters to play as but the storyline stays the same.

How much I liked it/final thoughts: Young me loved this game and adult me does as well. I'm not a PC gamer either so a game has to be good to get me hooked like this game did.

Ip Next
Diablo III

Diablo III (PS3)

Graphics: Really can't complain. They stayed similar to the first 2 while taking advantage of the PS3's capabilities.

Game Mechanics: The Mechanics are smooth and do exactly what you want when

Replayability: 97% Replayability. You have 4 different characters to play as but the storyline stays the same. However you can start over with all your stats & the level you ended at just at a harder level, which is always something I enjoy.

Why I liked/Didn't Like It: The game play is smooth, the graphics are great and I love this kind of game. Really, what's not to love?

Final thoughts: I wanted this game since it came out because I'm a huge fan of the franchise. This game had a lot to live up to and it didn't disappoint.

Up Next
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back