My experience "working" for TNA

Megadeth

AKA Asm92784
So this past Saturday I had the chance to "work" as a volunteer for TNA at the Lockdown Fan Interaction. For those unaware, TNA had put out a call on Facebook through the TNA Nation page for volunteers to help out and in exchange for helping, I received a free ticket to Lockdown and a Lockdown T-shirt. And so I thought I would just share a little about my experience there.
Basically my job was to stand at the front of one of the lines and take pictures for people with the wrestlers and to play the bad guy so to speak when people would start talking to the wrestlers or ask for a ridiculous number of things to be signed and just keep the line moving. For anyone who was at the Fan Interaction, I was with Chris Sabin for the first session, then Crimson (I took a quick lunch break during this session, so if you remember a blond girl being the one taking the pictures, she was only covering for my break and that was not me), and for the final session, I was with The Pope, D'Angelo Dinero.

Overall it was pretty awesome being able to have that kind of access with the wrestlers, and while I didn't have to much time to talk with them, as being "staff" I had to try and stay professional, but I did get to have some brief conversations, and see a few little inside things most people there were unaware of. For example, during the second session while I was with Crimson in his line, the line right next to him was Mickie James, and as the second session was ending, we were getting the signs and 8x10's out for the next session, in the same spot where Mickie was, Madison Rayne and Tara were going to be signing next. And even though no fans were close enough to really see this, Mickie took one of the 8x10's for Madison, and one of Tara and decided to draw on them and add like devil horns and stuff and wrote on them and left them on top for Madison and Tara to see when they got there.
And then during the last session with The Pope, next to him was Devon and Tommy Dreamer, and the Pope and Devon throughout their time decided to keep a bit of a running thing were the Pope would talk bad about ECW, and how Devon and Dreamer were living in the past, which would get Devon up and "confront" the Pope a few times during the session, and the Pope being a heel would go running. Of the three guys that I worked with, The Pope was easily the most entertaining of them, as he pretty much stayed in character for the whole thing, although he was also the only guy I worked with who was criticizing my picture taking pretty much the whole time, about taking to long to take them, and taking them to far back, wanting me to make sure I get close ups and that kind of stuff (which wasn't really my fault in the first place, as most digital cameras that people brought had to flash at least 3 times before they would take the picture, and you have to hold the button down for like 10 seconds before they would go, and the zoom on some of them was already so far in I had to stand kind of far back to get everything in the picture, but I digress.)

So anyways, it was overall a pretty awesome experience, and I was surprised that only like 4 of 5 other people actually took TNA up on this offer, and would suggest in the future if TNA is doing a PPV close to where you are to look into this to see if they are offering the same thing. And if anyone reading this was there, and I screwed up your picture, I apologize, but some of those cameras were just ridiculously complicated, and some people did a poor job on telling me about how to use them right, so sometimes it was a guessing game on using them.
(And if anyone thinks I am just making all this up, there is a video on the free section of the TNA on Demand website labeled a virtual tour of Fan Interaction or something like that, and you can see me in it in about the first minute or so, taking pictures in the Chris Sabin line, and I have posted a couple pictures of myself here in the forums a while back if you really want to take the time and effort to check whether I am lying or not.)

One thing TNA absolutely hits a home run on is their fan interaction. They strive to have the accessibility of an indie promotion with the performance of a serious company; it's a shame that someone who has never been to a TNA event would have no idea how much of an interactive performance it is, as opposed to the 'wrestling as theater' experience of the WWE.

Also a shame they don't tour more, especially with the depth of their roster. I could easily see TNA having enough people to do two sets of tours, without formalizing it in a WWEesque brand extension. I suspect that their merchandising at these events per person is above industry norms.

Sounds cool and i would love to do something like this if they would come to Montreal (where i live). Rayne, yeah they could do it, but there is a problem. Unlike WWE, TNA wrestlers do not only work for them they work for other indie companies around the world. So i guess the reason they don't tour as much as we want them to do is schedule conflicts.

Sounds like a awesome experience. Did Mickie wear a cast?

No she didn't, but I thought I saw her letting a few people like touch her shoulder or claiming she had like a bump or something on it. After seeing the match, it made me kind of wonder if she doesn't actually have some minor injury and that may be why they kept it so short.

Sounds like an amazing experience. TNA definitely has the advantage over WWE in terms of fan interaction. This is what TNA should be fully capitalizing on to expand their business. What wrestling fan doesn't want to meet their favorite wrestlers and have a short time to interact? Sadly, their marketing team/department is severely lacking...

I fully enjoyed my recent house show experience in Cleveland earlier this month. Picture with Kurt Angle and Mick Foley, met Don West and Jeff Jarrett, all who were very polite and eager to interact with their fans. Unfortunately, my WWE experiences weren't as exciting. After the show, only two wrestlers approached the gathered crowd for fan interaction: John Cena (who you could tell was extremely exhausted by still posed with the kids and signed autographs and had quite a few conversations with the fans, he truly is a great down-to-earth guy and truly does love the fans) and Ashley. The others just ignored the fans or in some extreme cases were rude (but in their defense, I understand...working all week in multiple cities and being at an arena from 2PM to 12AM, I'd want to just get the hell to my hotel room, get some sleep, and get up to catch my early flight before the next show).

Simply put, TNA should be really pushing these kinds of fan interactions a lot more than they are!! These events are exactly what TNA can do that WWE cannot. That's a huge part of being in business: do what your competitor can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back