• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

my experience at wrestling school/ has anyone here been to wrestling school?

Wrestlingfan100

Pre-Show Stalwart
For 200 bucks I went to a wrestling school for 2 hours on the 5th.
I did it with my brother at a place called The Monster Factory where
Sheamus and CM Punk trained and graduated. It was very tough.

we both failed at back bumps; my brother was very good at running the ropes though but I wasn't.

I was body slammed a few times, the bigger trainer had to do it to me because the other had back problems and I am 190 lbs. We learnt lock ups and chain wrestling holds. We were put in submissions and I even took an armbar + knees to my side. We got kicked in the corner{which doesn't hurt at all and body slammed which is a crazy experience.

we took standing elbow drops and I got to do a crossbody reversal from a body slam{which took no work at all and I didn't even realize what happened until they told me but it was so awesome.}
At the end we had to do 3 things
closeline, standing elbow drop and pin.

Have any of you posters here trained anywhere?

I've been to wrestling school. I was quite good. People used to call me the alive version of Chris Benoit. I just go by Daniel Bryan now.

¡Roján!;3728289 said:
I've been to wrestling school. I was quite good. People used to call me the alive version of Chris Benoit. I just go by Daniel Bryan now.

Jesus man.

Any way Wrestlingfan, see anyone famous there? Who were the trainers?

I used to go a couple years ago. I just quit because I didn't have the money to keep going. I'm still pretty good buddies with some of the people in the fed. One of the things they often had us do was work security or as lumberjacks in lumberjack matches. That was a lot of fun. We also had to help set up and tear down the ring but everybody does that and it's not as bad as it sounds.

Unless this guy responds to the questions that were asked in this thread, I'd say his "wrestling school experience" is horseshit.

Seems like he learned an awful lot of stuff in two hours...

I won't lie. When I began wrestling school, my first day consisted of most of the things that the OP posted above. But Sly is right... 2 hours? Most classes at wrestling schools last at least 3-4 hours. Trust me... I would know.

I won't lie. When I began wrestling school, my first day consisted of most of the things that the OP posted above.

How long were you in wrestling school? I'd be interested in hearing some of your stories if the threadstarter is not going to answer questions.

I been to one of my mates quite a few times, he wrestles for free on occasion for this shitty little promotion, been to a few shows and in truth it all that bad, they embrace the over the top nature of wrestling in general with colourfull characters and that gets them points in my book, my mate gets the main event slots but thats mainly because he brings all of his friends down to the shows and gets them to boo him, in truth there are much better than him working down there. Although they all look like they could use a good shower.

They were doing a special for Demelza House and a load of the kids were watching, its very PG, although extremely homophobic, there were about 5 "fairy" chants at this one guy who kept screaming back "I AM NOT GAY!" Then some indian dude said something to him and he came over and said "at least I dont smell like Curry" which was vaguely amusing, someone called him a racist and I shouted "8 match ban" which started an 8 match ban chant (footie fans will understand), sadly that was the most of my contribution to the show.

Good times.

How long were you in wrestling school? I'd be interested in hearing some of your stories if the threadstarter is not going to answer questions.

I went to wrestling school for the better part of a year. I attended the IWF school in West Paterson, NJ (now known as Woodland Park, NJ).

I can tell you this... it's not easy. The guy who runs the school and teaches most of the classes was a really patient and nice guy. But there were times when he couldn't teach the classes and the school's veterans would take over... then we'd REALLY learn how it all goes.

For instance, I'll never forget the day we were learning the ever-so-classic headlock - slingshot - shoulder tackle - jump over - hip toss combination. The owner of the school allowed us to run through it simple and easy. We barely touched each other during the shoulder tackle, as we were practicing the move. Then, one of the vets took over. I'll never forget that the first thing he told us was, "Ok, now you guys can stop being *****es and do the sequence for real. I'm going to show all of you how it's done." One by one, he headlocked us, we pushed him into the ropes, and like a runaway freight train, he barreled through us with his 245lb body, knocking us into next week. I'll never forget the feeling of simultaneously having my should almost dislocated and my bell being run when we made contact.

That shit is no joke. So while all of you try and judge the guys who take that pain in the ring day-in and day-out, think about that stuff. It'll change your minds about a lot of things.

I can think of five wrestling promotions in the Houston general area off the top of my head. They are Booker T's promotion, an NWA affiliate promotion, a lucha promotion that used to have shows down the street from where I live, and two others I don't know much about. At first I considered training at Booker's school (I believe they train near my 'hood), but later opted for working with the NWA instead. Now I've decided to train at the lucha promotion before moving to California in hope of being accepted into the NJPW dojo. But last year I bought a car with the money I saved for school. Probably for the best. Insert quote about a dream deferred.

I can think of five wrestling promotions in the Houston general area off the top of my head. They are Booker T's promotion, an NWA affiliate promotion, a lucha promotion that used to have shows down the street from where I live, and two others I don't know much about. At first I considered training at Booker's school (I believe they train near my 'hood), but later opted for working with the NWA instead. Now I've decided to train at the lucha promotion before moving to California in hope of being accepted into the NJPW dojo. But last year I bought a car with the money I saved for school. Probably for the best. Insert quote about a dream deferred.

Whatever you do stay away from the NJPW dojo. Run if you see the Great Sasuke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back