• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Musicians 'Other' Bands You Prefer.

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
So generally musicians get famous over a particular band e.g. Slash in Guns N Roses. But what about the other bands he was in (Velvet Revolver, Slash's Snakepit, Solo work)

What I'm asking is what musican whose work in another band rather than the band that made them famous do you prefer.

For me Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit comes to mind.

We all know Limp Bizkit as part of nu-metal in the late 90s/early 00s. But Wes Borland actually did some work outside of that.

Big Dumb Face

It's not to be taken seriously but he did this when he left Limp Bizkit in 2001. They actually had a varying set of styles within the one album they did.

[YOUTUBE]gd3Y4o95ObU[/YOUTUBE]

Black Light Burns

This is a more serious endevour that's he's still doing. It's industrial influenced (like Nine Inch Nails) And he takes it more seriously (having released two albums)

[YOUTUBE]-jzPMnlfy7w[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]omktVIJD0iA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]A_qdHel2c1A[/YOUTUBE]

The first artist that came to mind for me was Maynard James Keenan.

Although I liked their music I never considered myself that big a fan of Tool; however, I've been a fan of A Perfect Circle since the beginning. I love how APC carried over the art-rock fusion portion of Tool's sound, but did it in a way that was much more melodic and presented interesting ambient undertones with its background vocals and ecletic instrumentation. To me it just made for more progressive and interesting music despite a more subtle approach, more traditional time signatures, etc. I also prefer the more socio-political message of APC's music.

Also, I'd add Damon Albarn, I very specifically prefer the first Gorillaz album to Blur or any of the future Gorillaz projects. I think the first album being the brain child of Albarn and Dan "the Automator" Nakamura had the most interesting sound of anything that Albarn has labeled as "Gorillaz". Albarn and Automator just really meshed well together and that first Gorillaz album to me stacks up with Nakamura's other best stuff like Dr. Octagonecologyst, Deltron 3030, and Handsome Boy Modeling School.

On a related note... I am a huge fan of System of a Down, but despite the recognizability of Serj(who, dont get me wrong, is a genuis) I have always felt the band owes its true brilliance to Daron Malakian. To me that was made abundantly clear during the group's hiatus when both Serj and Daron released their side projects.

While I did enjoy Serj's solo debut "Elect the Dead", it didn't have the presence or lasting power of SoaD's music. I attribute this to the fact that it lacks a strong sense of melody, something that Daron consistently brought to Soad projects, as well as Daron's intricate guitar riffs which on System albums add a contradictory compliment to Serj's style.

On the other hand, I thought that Malakian's side project release "Scars on Broadway" had alot more appeal than Serj's efforts. Scars on Broadway is a criminally over looked album to me. Daron, who did all the vocals and instrumentation on the studio album, was able to create an album that sounds uniquely like him while borrowing from the System formula of avante-garde progressive metal, as well delivering a more conventional rock sound with recognizable influence from artists like Neil Young, Bob Dylan and David Bowie. The lead guitar work on the album is as spectacular as any System album, and really drives home why Guitar World ranked Daron one of the thirty greatest metal guitarists ever. The song structure is definitely more traditional than any of SoaD's music but it fits the approach, and the lyrical content is the same messages, delivered with the same sensationalized satire, irony, dadaism, and shock value that Malakian penned on Soad material, just without Serj's hyper-aggressive compliment.

I definitely want to hear a System of a Down reunion album, but I hope that Malakian finishes and releases the rumored new Scars on Broadway project first, as I need to hear what he's developed over four plus years of reclusion.

Off the top of my head I gotta say Mike Patton. I love Faith No More but Tomahawk and Peeping Tom are some great projects.

Ken Andrews main project was Failure but he had another project called Year of the Rabbit. His solo stuff is really nice as well.

And like the poster above, I prefer Gorillaz to blur, simply cause I grew up hearing Gorillaz and didn't get into blur until a few years ago. I have Parklife and ther self-titled but to me personally I'd pick up a Gorillaz album any day over blur.

Corey Taylor.

I'm not anti-Slipknot, I enjoy a few of their songs but I find them to be pretty shite. I heard "Through Glass" and it stuck in my head for awhile, eventually I looked up Stone Sour and was shocked to see it was the dude from Slipknot leading the band. I've Come What May and Audio Secrecy, both albums are pretty solid, his vocal range is very impressive in several songs on Come What May. Again, not a big fan of Slipknot but Stone Sour are good to me.

Corey Taylor.

I'm not anti-Slipknot, I enjoy a few of their songs but I find them to be pretty shite. I heard "Through Glass" and it stuck in my head for awhile, eventually I looked up Stone Sour and was shocked to see it was the dude from Slipknot leading the band. I've Come What May and Audio Secrecy, both albums are pretty solid, his vocal range is very impressive in several songs on Come What May. Again, not a big fan of Slipknot but Stone Sour are good to me.

It is called Come What(ever) May. An yes, it is a great album. If you like heavy, check out the first album which features the song Bother from the Spiderman soundtrack. Also, their newest album is really good too.

I dig Hell Yeah. Just a straight heavy sound from the boys of Mudvayne/Nothingface/Pantera. I enjoy all three of these bands, and Hell Yeah is just amazing. I love the second album Stampede the best. Still waiting to see these guys live.

I cant think of any off the top of my head, but I know somebody that prefers the Style Council to The Jam, or even Paul Weller on his own. It's an opinion I find pretty horrendous but I thought it was quite fitting here and each to their own I suppose.

I preferred Stone Sour to Slipknot for a while. Then Stone Sour started turning into just another typical modern rock band.

When the dude from Soil went to Drowning Pool I was pretty excited. They did a couple of good songs together, but nothing topped Pride or Halo in my eyes.

Mike Shinoda's little rap group is much better than Linkin Park is now but to be honest, that's no feat.

A few come to mind off the top of my head.

Daryl Palumbo in Glassjaw is the first. Despite Glassjaw being around about ten years before Head Automatica, I felt like Head Automatica received more mainstream attention, mostly due to their early poppy work.

Gabe Saporta and Heath Saraceno are two others. I preferred Midtown to Cobra Starship and Senses Fail respectively.

Dallas Green is another. Alexisonfire was one of my favorite bands in my teens, but no one else I knew had heard of them. I like City and Colour, I like it a lot actually, but it saddens me that that is the most popular any member of Alexis has gotten outside Canada.

I also prefer Ben Gibbard in The Postal Service to Death Cab. I like both, I just prefer Postal Service.

I'm gonna agree with Yaz in regards to Dallas Green.

When I first heard his solo stuff, it was around the time that AOFs second album had come out. There were a couple of tracks on the album where Dallas' vocals were much improved from his attempts on their debut album. He was a lot more melodic and clearer which provided a great contrast to the lead singers growls and screams.

His City and Colour project allows him to showcase both his guitar and vocal skills, with each album evolving from the last; his debut, Sometimes, was largely him and his guitar, Bring Me Your Love explored more of his folk influences and Little Hell was a much more polished studio album.

He is still a relatively unknown artist to the mainstream but having toured with Pink and supporting Biffy Clyro in the UK this year, I hope that he gets more recognition as his songs definitely deserve it.

A final point I'd add is that while his own material is great, he has done some fantastic covers such as Neil Youngs Cowgirl in the Sand, Adeles Hometown Glory and Madonnas Love Don't Live Here Anymore. His own interpretation of Alexisonfires Happiness by the Kilowatt is also superb.

Corey Taylor is a good one.

I don't mind Slipknot, I like quite a few songs but Stone Sour is just more up my alley. To be fair I only have Come What(Ever) May, but I listen to that more than Slipknot.

I'd like to add Joey Jordison. Again Slipknot isn't bad, it's just I prefer the Murderdolls. They've got their cheesy songs based on old horror films and cliches but they can do a good serious song like My Dark Place Alone as well.

There is many bands/solo artists I could bring up here.

Recently, I've been listening to a chap called Jake Bugg.
It's typical english rock and roll. He's made a name for himself, getting on late night chat shows, doing Radio 1' live lounge, ect. He's brillant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0oPg1h8fQ

Bombay Bicycle Club is another. Alot of their music has been used in TV programmes, as it's so upbeat. It's great jst to mellow out to.

But as a die hard rock fan, there's a couple of bands which should be HUGE>

Apocalypitca:

Get this. They play rock music with classical instruments. They brought out an album with a vareity of singers. Corey Taylor, Adam Gontier, Brent Smith. They have covered ALOT of Metalica aswell, which is just a bonus within itself.

My American Heart:

I saw them play live a couple of times and I'm not joking, for their genre, they had mosh pits going when they play. Phenomanal. I don't actually don't know if they are still going, but I fell in love with their music.

Black Veil Brides:

Yep. I've said it. When you look at them, you think... Oh dear. Make Up? REALLY?
But listen to them. The two guitarists are exceptional. The drummer is caaaa-razy fast, the bassist can keep up with the drums which is hard when you actually listen to it. And then you got the singer, Andy Beirsack.
I didn't think he could sing when I listened to them first of all.
Then I brought the album. He puts his heart and soul into it. Amazing.

:band:

I would have to go with Corey Taylor as well.

I was never a Slipknot fan, although I do have a few songs of theirs on my IPod, but they were just never for me. However, when I first heard "Bother" by Stone Sour I was blown away by how different it was from anything I had heard Taylor do before.

I picked up their first album and thought it was really good, and Come Whatever May beat that and was even better. Corey can really sing, he has a phenomenal voice! I haven't got their latest CD yet but it is on my to-buy list.

It almost seems like Slipknot has become a Super Band of sorts, given that just from the people here who listen to the "other" bands. I know for a fact that Murderdolls is a widely popular band, which features Joey Jordison. And Corey Taylor has had Stone Sour for a while. But for me, Shawn Crahan has the best "other" band out there called Dirty Little Rabbits with Stella Soleil as the lead singer.

I'm not too crazy about bands with female fronts. Otep and Straight Line Stitch are probably my only exception to that because most of the time, female singers don't complement the band that well. Sure Porcelain's okay, but then again she's not a band rather than her just singing over her own recordings. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

Dirty Little Rabbits is almost a complete opposite of Slipknot. Sure the overall style might seem the same, but DLR has an "easier listening" feel to it. I personally like the song "Professional Hit" the most.

Another "other" band that I could think of is Brian Welch and Love and Death. It's in the same style as Korn, but it's more Christian. The best part is that it's not as "Christian" as you would think it is. It's moreso just Korn with more spiritual meaning behind it... or at least that's what I get out of it.

For me, I have to go with Aaron Gillespie. I never liked Underoath, but I actually dig The Almost. I've never been into the screaming shit.

Dave Grohl is an easy one. I like Foo Fighters much more than Nirvana. On a Foo Fighters note, Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders are pretty good, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back