Ranking Deftones' Albums

BigBombB

Pre-Show Stalwart
I'm a late comer to the Deftones. I knew they existed, I knew they had a huge fanbase, but I was too busy traveling off the beaten path of music to pay much attention. It wasn't until last year that I decided to take the plunge, finally free of my anti-mainstream mindset, and open to anything. I'm very glad I did.

Chino Moreno is a name spoken with reverence in circles you wouldn't expect a metal band to even be known in. With his voice and the talented musicians adding the atmosphere behind it, Deftones became a household name in an era in desperate need of inspiration. While the Deftones will never be faulted for being 'too positive', they hit home with so many people on a level that is hard to reach. If you've never listened to the Deftones, or are only a casual fan, here is the breakdown off all their albums and what they have to offer.

01. Deftones - White Pony (2000)

I know most people don't need to be sold on White Pony, it is a genre defining album that is beloved by everyone who was lucky enough to grow up with it, and deservedly so. White Pony is the ultimate "high school rage" album mixed with a level of maturity that you simply don't have at that age. There is no doubt that White Pony was the soundtrack to many troubled kids' lives and I have to admit to falling in love with it years after it's release just as quickly as those lucky few who grabbed the first copies did.

White Pony picks up where Around The Fur left off, a difficult task in itself, but then goes the extra step to improve on essentially everything Around The Fur accomplished. When you have an album that is already an instant classic and follow it up with an album that is this much better, you are either incredibly lucky or amazingly talented. History has proven the later but the former is certainly true too. White Pony was relevant when it was released, is still relevant today, and will be relevant 100 years from now. Not many people think of the last 20 years as a time period that has created "classics" but that is only because they don't want to let go of the '60s and '70s. Time has rolled on, music has changed with it, and White Pony is a shining example of an entire era.

Recommended Tracks: Change [In The House Of Flies], Digital Bath

02. Deftones - Diamond Eyes (2010)

The battleground is officially set. Is Diamond Eyes the best Deftones album of all time? The album flows well, nearly every song is a hit, and everyone has been absolutely blown away. Diamond Eyes is the album that cements Deftones as one of the greatest bands not just of our time but in known history. A lot of bands come back with a firey spirit, giving their fans a bunch of nostaglia, and everyone saying "they're back!" because they've been handed another dose of the sound they loved so long ago.

That isn't the case with Diamond Eyes. Not at all.

White Pony and Diamond Eyes are dramatically different pieces of work. White Pony is controlled chaos while Diamond Eyes is very deliberate. White Pony is full of youthful spirit while Diamond Eyes comes from a clearer mind. White Pony is the beginning of the party while Diamond Eyes is the night cap. White Pony has you chanting along while Diamond Eyes leaves you with mouth agape.

This is Deftones perfecting their craft. Hitting on all cylinders and leaving nothing to be desired. Individual song wise, I think Diamond Eyes is the best Deftones album of all time. Nothing leaves you kind of craning your neck trying to decide whether you like it or if you just like everything else around it so much that you're willing to let it pass. Any song off of Diamond Eyes is worth listening to. However, it is funny how sometimes the right time and the right place matters more than overall quality. White Pony is an exceptional album, an exceptional album that created many of the Deftones fans who proceeded to be blown away by Diamond Eyes, and the cultural significance of White Pony is undeniable. While Diamond Eyes isn't likely to ever be remembered with the fondness of it's powerful predecessor, it can rest easy knowing that time will remember it as a can't miss classic and the greatest of it's kind.

Recommended Tracks: 976-Evil, This Place Is Death

03. Team Sleep - Team Sleep (2005)

Are the Deftones dead? Is this Chino Moreno's swan song? So much controversy and tension existed around this time period among Deftones fans that you would have thought that the band everyone loved never would have set foot in a room with one another ever again. Was everything a little overblown during this time period? Undoubtedly. Did Chino ignore all of the overzealous fanboys/girls and release a unique, mind blowingly relaxing album in it's wake? Oh yes, he did.

While this isn't a Deftones album, it is a spiritual extension of the band, as Team Sleep is essentially Deftones without the heaviness. And it works, it works so incredibly well I don't think anyone could have anticipated it. Team Sleep is how I was introduced to Chino's work, an experience I feared would be ruined by listening to the more 'extreme' Deftones, so for a very long time I treasured this gem without ever listening to a Deftones song. How pleasantly surprised I was when I finally made the jump, but I will always have fond memories of Team Sleep. This album helped shape my view away from "all metal, all the time" to a much broader and accepting mindset. If you're a Deftones fan that somehow managed to miss out on Team Sleep, track it down. You'll be happy you did.

Recommended Tracks: Ataraxia, Elizabeth

04. Deftones - Koi No Yokan (2012)

Following up White Pony was a deathblow to Deftones' self titled album and Koi No Yokan had to follow in the footsteps of the equally beloved Diamond Eyes. With great excitement and equally great fears, Deftones fans plunged into the newest Deftones album. Their eyes widened, bright and full of love, as they realized Deftones was returning with a similar sound to Diamond Eyes and an album packed full of more great material.

Re-inventing a band that was popular with a younger generation as the band unavoidably grows older is an issue every group under the sun has had to contend with. Instead of trying to grind on the same old wheel, Deftones instead decided to appeal to an older audience while still producing a sound that even younger music listeners will appreciate. Koi No Yokan is yet another technical marvel, taking the listener on a journey from beginning to end in the first seamless listen since White Pony. In fact, Koi No Yokan is possibly the easiest album to just sit down and enjoy. No prerequisites, no age stipulations, nothing but an enjoyment of music is necessary.

Romantic Dreams is the song that finally got me to dabble in the Deftones and Koi No Yokan is the first album of theirs that I owned. I have to say I couldn't have asked for a better starting point and so many of my other favorite bands took a long backseat ride while I became absorbed by all that Deftones had to offer. Koi No Yokan does not disappoint and, if you've also never heard a Deftones album before, I'll recommend this as the place to jump in. If you like this album then you are in for so, so much more as you explore everything else the band has done.

Recommended Tracks: Romantic Dreams, Entombed

05. Deftones - Around The Fur (1997)

Equal parts brilliant and chaotic, Around The Fur is the clear starting point of the infamous Deftones sound. Bouncing between moments of intensity, sincerity, sexuality, and beauty in seamless fashion is an accomplishment all unto itself but the great quality of songwriting throughout the entire album is what launches it even further into the stratosphere. Around The Fur can be listened to in parts and still be enjoyable but it's real accomplishment is how it all comes together when listened to from beginning to end. The same fast tempo and raw emotion permeates the entire experience, blending all of the songs together while still keeping each of them immediately identifiable.

While later albums have split Deftones fans into very distinct groups, there is definitely something to be said for being the first on the scene, and Around The Fur was the first album that blew everyone's minds. Everyone had heard heavy music with some catchy breakdowns but no one had heard two emotional extremes share space so naturally before. Chino's screams are terrifying and his singing voice is genuinely soothing, not to mention all the tones in between that add credence to the band's name choice. If you love music and love hearing standout examples of what music can be, you shouldn't miss out on this album.

Recommended Tracks: Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away), Dai The Flu

06. Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist (2006)

Everyone put on your judgment hats, Deftones are back. Oh, and they've changed again. I know...I KNOW! How could they? HOW DARE THEY? This is so different! So WEIRD! Why would they ever release something like this? O-M-G!

Calm down. Listen. Yes, this album is a lot more airy and, on the whole, a lot less aggressive than earlier Deftones albums. It does not, however, completely eliminate the aggression, it just explores a completely different vibe, one I think works. There is a lot of really good material on Saturday Night Wrist, numerous 'favorite songs' people have within the Deftones discography, and yet so many people HATE this album. I can kind of see it, the album is very bi-polar with it's sound and can be difficult to listen to from beginning to end. This isn't likely to be background music as it really demands your attention but there are so many strange changes of direction that many listeners become put off.

No problem. Everyone has different tastes in music and not everything is accessible but there is no denying the good that Saturday Night Wrist brought with it. There are songs with minimal and no screaming (in fact, these make up the majority of the album) that are exceptional. The best the Deftones have ever produced. But yes, on the whole, Saturday Night Wrist doesn't really flow well together which is why it tends to be a bit of a forgotten relic when compared to the rest of the Deftones discography. But this was an important transition point, the transition that led to the classics that would follow it.

Recommended Tracks: Cherry Waves, Kimdracula

07. Deftones - Deftones (2003)

Deftones' self-titled album is that kid that gets picked on because, while it is still exceptional compared to most, it isn't as cool as it's older cousins. There are people that genuinely believe this album killed the band. Stone cold dead. But nothing could be further from the truth. The self-titled album marked a change in sound for the band, something that shouldn't have come as too surprising after the drastic sound shift from Adrenaline to Around The Fur and the change this time around isn't even that dramatic. The problem is that this isn't Around The Fur and it isn't White Pony, at least in the eyes of far too many.

I'm not saying their self-titled album is as good as those albums, it objectively isn't, but it certainly has enough material that can make an honest claim to being close. The major difference is that the songs have been rather clearly defined rather than feeling like a stream of consciousness. Heavy songs are heavy, light songs are light, and anything that is supposed to be somewhere in between is just somewhere in between. The dramatic shifts don't happen as often during individual songs but are certainly still present on the album as a whole. The best songs on the self-titled album stand up to the best songs on any of their other albums, it is just that much of the rest isn't as accessible and therefore earned the scorn of public opinion. A shame.

Recommended Tracks: Good Morning Beautiful, Battle-axe

08. Deftones - Adrenaline (1995)

Every band has a beginning, that first swing at the unknown spaces to see if they can make any connection at all. Like anyone starting out in life there is no telling what will happen once they mature and Adrenaline is a perfect example of this. There is no hint that the Deftones will become one of the most widely adored metal bands of all time, none of the elaborately designed textures that helped push them that extra mile to stardom, just a good bit of aggression and disappointment with life.

While Adrenaline doesn't have a lot of memorable tracks, the few that are have survived the test of time, being just as intense and fistpumping as ever. The common theme of clawing through the dredges of society and having all this free time to waste on nothing is definitely relatable. I can see why Adrenaline is so fondly remembered by those who grabbed it upon it's release. There is a certain level of honesty and rawness on Adrenaline that was a bit rarer in the time period it was released but was clearly a major influence on the late-90s, early 00s rise of bands like Slipknot, Mudvayne, and the "Nu-Metal" scene in general. A must-have for fans but likely nothing that will excite a casual listener too much.

Recommended Tracks: 7 Words, Engine No. 9

I want to thank you for this list. I was completely unaware of Team Sleep. White Pony is my favorite album from them with Saturday Night Wrist as a close second.

Saturday Night Wrist is an odd album that has grown on me through the years and deserves to be ranked higher in some circles. You list is pretty spot on though.

I want to thank you for this list. I was completely unaware of Team Sleep. White Pony is my favorite album from them with Saturday Night Wrist as a close second.

Saturday Night Wrist is an odd album that has grown on me through the years and deserves to be ranked higher in some circles. You list is pretty spot on though.

Appreciate the feedback. I know WrestleZone isn't a big place for music fans but it gives me a reason to justify marathoning some of my favorite music. I'm glad you're checking out Team Sleep, the lyrics kind of make me scratch my head but the music...oh wow, the music!

And I'm with you on liking SNW, I bought most of their discography in one swoop and Saturday Night Wrist really stood out to me. I listened to it more than I listened to White Pony at first because it was so strange that I felt like I needed to 'figure it out'. Still not sure that I have but no doubt it is an interesting album and hardly the flop so many people tried to paint it as!

Dear BigBombB,
I've frequented this site for a long time now and never felt compelled to officially join, so thank you(i guess indirectly) for making me feel obliged to do so. It shows that you are obviously new to Deftones(with all due respect not trying to start something...regardless I'm glad you found the greatness) to rank Adrenaline as the WORST Deftones album is a complete abomination. Now maybe we can't relate and that is ok. See I've been a HUGE deftones fan for a very long time, and Adrenaline is EASILY their best album. It doesn't have a lot of memorable tracks? How about Bored, Minus Blindfold, Nosebleed Lifter Root 7 Words Engine No 9(just to name a few literally didn't even have to think about it) (Again not to be disrespectful but...) fans like me hate when other fans say White Pony is the best(especially when you specifically use Change and Digital Bath as your examples) this is a great album but you missed the best tracks on it(Back to school, Elite, Knife Party Rx Queen freaking PASSENGER!) I think you need to re listen to Adrenaline and again maybe that "nu metal" sound isn't your thing but I think we can all agree that more often than not most bands make there best music early on then it becomes to soft catchy mainstream w/e you want to call it. Again I'm not trying to start anything just pointing out an old school Deftones point of view and to prove there are no hard feeling I will leave you with this... I don't know if you've ever heard of Ill nino(and they may be that "nu metal" kinda sound that you don't like but...) there is a great track which is actually a cover of Faith no more called "Zombie Eaters" featuring Chino this song is amazing. And if you like the slower Deftones songs I think you'll truly appreciate this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z5tCteI8EI

Dear BigBombB,
I've frequented this site for a long time now and never felt compelled to officially join, so thank you(i guess indirectly) for making me feel obliged to do so. It shows that you are obviously new to Deftones(with all due respect not trying to start something...regardless I'm glad you found the greatness) to rank Adrenaline as the WORST Deftones album is a complete abomination. Now maybe we can't relate and that is ok. See I've been a HUGE deftones fan for a very long time, and Adrenaline is EASILY their best album. It doesn't have a lot of memorable tracks? How about Bored, Minus Blindfold, Nosebleed Lifter Root 7 Words Engine No 9(just to name a few literally didn't even have to think about it) (Again not to be disrespectful but...) fans like me hate when other fans say White Pony is the best(especially when you specifically use Change and Digital Bath as your examples) this is a great album but you missed the best tracks on it(Back to school, Elite, Knife Party Rx Queen freaking PASSENGER!) I think you need to re listen to Adrenaline and again maybe that "nu metal" sound isn't your thing but I think we can all agree that more often than not most bands make there best music early on then it becomes to soft catchy mainstream w/e you want to call it. Again I'm not trying to start anything just pointing out an old school Deftones point of view and to prove there are no hard feeling I will leave you with this... I don't know if you've ever heard of Ill nino(and they may be that "nu metal" kinda sound that you don't like but...) there is a great track which is actually a cover of Faith no more called "Zombie Eaters" featuring Chino this song is amazing. And if you like the slower Deftones songs I think you'll truly appreciate this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z5tCteI8EI

No hard feelings at all. From the perspective of a fan who came across their entire discography all at once rather than 'one at a time', Adrenaline just doesn't have the elements that made me interested in the band to begin with. And about whether I like nu-metal or not, some of my favorite albums include Mudvayne's L.D. 50, KoRn's self titled, Slipknot's self titled, Static-X's Wisconsin Death Trip...hell, even going out of the mainstream, pretty much anything Nothingface released is great in my eyes. But I didn't get into Deftones looking for music similar to those bands tbh, I checked into their music once I heard 'Romantic Dreams'. That should tell you a lot! lol

So you get an idea of my tastes, here is how I'd rank the songs off White Pony:

01. Change (maybe I'm too mainstream but it hits on a personal level as well as being a great song)
02. Back To School / Digital Bath (tie) (both are great in different ways)
04. Street Carp (the chorus is insanely catchy)
05. Korea (this is the kind of screaming I like)
06. Knife Prty (can definitely see why this was one of their bigger hits)
07. Passenger (I'm not a huge Tool fan so this didn't excite me as much)
08. Rx Queen (I like the lyrics and the chorus, I feel like I SHOULD like it more than I do)
09. Teenager (great when you're stoned)
10. Feiticeira (to be honest, I consider everything from this point and up to be really good)
11. Pink Maggit (a less exciting version of Back to School basically)
12. Elite (I like the electronic parts and the ending is cool but it kind of drags imo) ADDENDUM: I'm listening to the album straight through and started banging my head to this song without even thinking about it...it is really good at what it does but I wouldn't want a full album of stuff like this

Perhaps our taste difference is two fold. One, I was a Team Sleep fan long before I ever got into Deftones so I love the moments in their albums that are lighter. Because of that their newest material really strikes me as some of the best they have ever done. Two, not being exposed to Adrenaline in the context of the time period it was released in means it doesn't have the same impact it probably had for a lot of long term fans of the band. I mean, had I not been into the nu-metal bands I mentioned earlier when said albums were brand new who is to say whether I would think they're as great as I do.

I don't want you to think that I don't like Adrenaline, when I look at it as the predecessor of a lot of the music I grew up with I find a lot of enjoyment in it, but there is no question that it is incredibly different than the rest of the Deftones discography. That isn't a bad thing, just not what attracted me to the band. And, I'll be honest, outside of 7 Words nothing on the album jumps out at me. Considering I got into Deftones for more of the Team Sleep sound, Adrenaline just doesn't provide that for me.

And that is a nice cover, thanks! Let me return the favor by tossing an early Nothingface song your way (in case you hadn't tried them out before)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc--VBZIicU

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back