Mr. Anderson: Modern Day Stone Cold?

ARLO

On A Break From Sig Requests
OK, Ok, I'm sure some of you will burn me just for saying this.

But look at the similarities:

*SCSA was known for his "black boots and black trunks" and, although he could never get by on just black trunks, Anderson's ring gear is pretty simple.

*Both are fighting evil leaders: SCSA- Mr. McMahon Anderson- Bischoff/Immortal.

*Both love to swear on the mic. Anderson's funny promo on Bischoff last week on Impact really made me realize this.

*SCSA was also known for his basic moveset. Anderson doesn't really do anything too flashy (with the exception of the Kenton bomb) and both have face-smashing finishers that can be hit on anybody at anytime.

I think that Mr. Anderson has unintentionally been modeled on Steve Austin. Will he be as big as Stone Cold? That remains to be seen.

DO YOU THINK THAT MR. ANDERSON HAS BECOME A MODERN-DAY STEVE AUSTIN?

EXPLAIN, DISCUSS, TEAR ME A NEW ONE JUST FOR SAYING SOMETHING LIKE THIS, IT'S ALL GOOD.
OVER TO YOU!

Unintentionally? They couldn't make it more damn obvious. Especially after this weeks Impact. In my eyes, the line should stay clean. Mr. Anderson is Mr. Anderson and Steve Austin is Steve Austin. Bottom line. Anderson says his name twice out loud and can crack crude jokes better than most. Steve Austin with a hell raising bastard that people adored because of how defiant he was and how he did what you wish you could do to your superiors. Anderson's first flaw is he really has no superior. Eric Bischoff is nowhere near the antagonizing figure Mr. McMahon was to Austin. And probably never will seeing how he has Immortal to deal with.

I've said it a hundred times. Wrestlers have their own identities. They are not incarnations of past wrestlers. There is no designated gimmick to fill out with somebody every damn generation. First people called Randy Orton a Steve Austin expy. Now they do it with Anderson. Are we at some point gonna label Okato as the next Austin candidate?

Mr. Anderson has his own gimmick, which is being a loudmouthed bastard. Stone Cold Steve Austin was a beer fueled machine that would whoop your ass at the drop of a dime. I don't really see how you are comparing the two as being similar. The only thing that they might have in common is that they both act like assholes in that they will attack anybody or anything. Mr. Anderson may be better on the microphone than Stone Cold, but he will never be near as big as Stone Cold was. Stone Cold had the look and everything going for him. Plus Stone Cold put on some of the best matches ever seen. Mr. Anderson hasn't done shit. He is injury prone. Plus he is in TNA. Maybe he's getting the rub in TNA that he should have got in TNA. But the fact of the matter is, he will only get that rub in TNA, not in the WWE.

I like Mr. Anderson, but in the words of Steve Austin "gimma an oh Hell No!"

Anderson has so far to go before being compared to Austin that it isn't even funny. Yes, they have a similar gimmick, but thats about where it stops for me. Anderson won't be the next Austin until he headlines shows that have 60,000 people going crazy when he comes out. He won't be Austin until he sells more merchandise than anyone in history. I'll consider him the next Austin when I see 10,000 people in A**Hole shirts hanging on his every word during a promo. I'll consider him the next Austin when he is in ESPN commercials, doing the late night talk circuit, or having major roles in huge Hollywood movies. In short, Anderson will never be the next Austin as long as he's in TNA.

I don't mean to bash TNA, but no wrestler will ever be compared to an icon like Austin working there. Steve Austin and Vince McMahon took the WWE from losing 6 million dollars in 1996 to having the biggest ratings in the history of pro wrestling in 1998. Steve Austin is the biggest wrestler in the history of the industry not named Hulk Hogan. He literalty saved the WWE and became the face of a billion dollar company. There are only a handfull of wrestlers who have ever gotten one pop as loud as the one Austin got every single time he came to the ring. He was beyond successful, and the only wrestler who could compare with (and maybe even surpased) Hulkamania.

On an in ring level, Anderson just doesn't have the charisma that Austin had. Austin's promo's against Vince McMahon, The Rock, and everyone else were perfect. Some of the absolute best promo's in wrestling history. When Anderson cuts a promo it seems forced. How many times can you say the word ASSHOLE before it gets boring? Anderson's Assholes just doesn't do it for me as a catchphrase.

You simpley can't compare someone to one of the biggest stars in the history of pro wrestling because he wears plain trucks and a cameo hat. And thats the Bottom Line.

As I recall it, weren't he and Austin kind of buddy-buddy when Anderson was in WWE; like Austin was giving him advice and whatnot. I caught Thursday's Impact and the segment with he and Bischoff was very Stone Cold-esque. I don't think Anderson's purposely trying to be a Stone Cold knockoff, but it's pretty obviously that he's incorporating some of Austin in his mannerisms and whatnot.

Mr anderson thats my mans, but stone cold cared a whole damn federation with him and vince back 2 the wall i seen that thing happen. Now i know he not wanted in the wwe but tna draw a big enough crowd 4 him 2 spread his wings. On the mic he amazin and kick ass in the ring but i dont think he will ever reach austins level that dont only come a dime a dozen

Funny funny stuff I was on Facebook making fun of TNA for this exact thing. My cousin and I are huge wrestling fans and make jokes about things and that was one of them. I think I made the comment that "the network" has told me to be more like that stone cold guy in hopes to raise our ratings. Then said Mic check Mic check Mic check, just like JR would. But to answer your question what he did the whole night on Thursday was like a complete copy minus the beer and loud screaming fans. Now I like Mr. Anderson but he needs to be him self not Steve Austin and he'll be just fine.

I think the question might be misinterpreted a bit. I believe the similarity from the question merely alludes to a similarity in personality and gimmick, not on the impact he's had on the industry.

I agree that TNA is playing Mr. Anderson as being the Mr. Anti establishment, swearing, getting over as a face despite acting like a heel talent, that in ways resembles Austin.

And TNA may be playing that up in the same way Russo played Booker T up at WCW's Rock. But Booker and Rock are nowhere near each other in ways other than that comparison being insinuated by how Booker T was cast. That's how I see any real Austin/ Mr. Anderson comparison. It's supposed to be insinuated but the 2 are obviously not that similar beyond those basic things.

And yes I do agree that they would be far better served letting Mr. Anderson become his own character and not waste time creating the correlations. But I suspect it would mean someone other than Russo would have to be head writer for that.

Okay this getting really old now. Im always hearing this kind of crap from everyone so im going to make myself very clear. There will never be another Steve Austin. EVER. When you make an icon in the wrestling bussiness you dont replicate his gimmick (even thought it's being done as we speak). Even if they did make Mr. Anderson the "next Steve Austin" all he'll be is a constant reminder that creative actually lacks creativity.

I get what the OP was talking about loud and clear. Obviously no one is saying Mr.A is as big as SCSA, that would be a ludicrous statement. But, my friends and I even noticed and said in conversation watching the show, how it seems like that's the direction they are trying to go with his character. They want him to be their SCSA. I am really not that big on Mr.Anderson. I don't think he ever will be a "SCSA" in the history books. Time so far has told that he won't. He's already lost his spot in WWE where he could have really been somebody, but unless TNA actually does turn into the second coming of WCW, he has no chance to be that big there.

Unintentional? My ass unintentional. It was obvious to anyone watching the Anderson/Bischoff promo segment last week on iMPACT! was an imitation of some of the classic Austin/McMahon moments. Everything from Ken Anderson's attitude, to the way he was grunting and walking around the ring, the long string of profanity, the barely contained rage, etc. was like Austin:316 lite.

I think that Killjoy hit on a good point regarding wrestler's identities. Anderson is someone that has his own identity so let him play it. Setting him up to be TNA's blatant attempt to copy Stone Cold Steve Austin is only going to end in failure. I said it in my review of iMPACT! last Thursday that Anderson is NOT Stone Cold Steve Austin. Anderson's not even close, not by a long shot. He has a VAST amount of work ahead of him before he can legitimately be compared to Austin in my eyes.

Don't go down this road TNA, it just leads to the edge of a cliff. Just because TNA might want fans to view Anderson as Austin by having him do much of the same thing Austin did simply doesn't mean people will accept it. Imitation might be the sincerest form of flattery but it's a poor substitute for credibility.

Their careers are very parallel: both men were big mid-card stars on the rise, but also very injury prone, rejected and released by companies, only to go on to become World champions in their new homes. The big difference, though, is that Austin was a complete surprise. He won King of the Ring because HHH messed up with the MSG incident, he got a few wins, and subsequently got the huge feud vs. Bret Hart. Austin won the Royal Rumble and did NOT get a title shot at Wrestlemania 13. It took him a year of build-up to finally win the WWF Title from Michaels at WM 14.

Anderaon hasn't been a surprise. We knew he'd win the TNA title eventually. He already had the hype and the build-up behind him. He also doesn't have that signature moment the way Austin did (Austin 3:16, the feud with Hart, the bloody face in the Sharpshooter). Anderson can emulate Austin all he wants, and Russo or whomever can encourage it all he wants, but unless TNA's rating jump 2.0 points, he'll never be a modern-day Stone Cold. Austin was a bright light that always stood out when he walked in the arena, just like The Rock. Anderson can blend into the show or not be there and no one would notice.

do we have some Steve Austin fans that feel insulted at the comparison with Mr Anderson?

on Impact when Anderson mic check to Bischoff, and then later to Hardy and RVD.. the one person I thought of was Steve Austin. bad ass that doesn't care about anybody but himself. someone who seems to come off as heel, but the fans cheer.

I'm not sure TNA is specifically trying to copy Steve Austin gimmick, but something along those lines would/could be good.

I don't think this is a question about whether Anderson will ever be as big as Austin. I'm not sure that is even possible. right now TNA just doesn't have the ratings that would need to make someone as big as Austin. however I don't think that means that there isn't a clear similarity between Anderson and Austin, intentional or unintentional.

I think that TNA in the hope of starting perhaps a new Attitude Era are trying to model Mr Anderson's character on Stone Cold Steve Austin. I think that even Anderson tries to copy Austin a bit. He has said it in past interviews that Austin is his favorite wrestler and the reason why he got interested in pro wrestling. On several house shows and dark matches he has replicated the Austin beer drinking pose, only with bottles of water instead of beer, to the loud cheers of the fans.

The thing is that the charade is working well for the moment. TNA have modelled most of the Anderson-Bischoff confrontations on Austin-McMahon and the crowd at the Impact Zone have responded pretty well. Anderson's character is working well and he is the top face of TNA at the moment. What will happen in the future? It could be that he continues getting cheered or it could be that the crowd will get bored and even agitated at him copying Austin so blatantly. Anything is possible and so it is best that we do not speculate.

At the moment, however, the character is certainly working well so I think that TNA should stick with it.

One thing that I can be sure about is that Mr Anderson will never be as big as Stone Cold though I guess that is not rocket science.

Yes they are trying to copy given that tbey're trying to make the Mic Check the new Stunner. Both similiar moves and both moves that are hit on suprise to a multiple deal of advesaries but yes I think Austin has similiarities but is not directly copuing it. He acted the same way he did in TNA in WWE,. Even as a heel he was always the a-hole.

I would agree that TNA are blatantly borrowing some of the themes and mannerisms of Stone Cold Steve Austin and incorporating them into the Mr. Anderson character. As always, how successful this will be long-term is anyones guess. What isn't a guess is that the recycle/re-use of past gimmicks and storylines in general has sometimes proved a formula for success depending upon execution and what the company/performer might be willing to add. For example, an argument could be made that John Cena's character is a modern day Hulk Hogan, and this has led to Cena's success. Training, Prayers, Vitamins begats Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect. John being beaten on for a high majority of a match, only to turn into "Super Cena" is almost no different from when Hogan would "Hulk up" in a likewise manner.

What I find slightly amusing is the sentiment here that Mr. Anderson will never be in the same league as SCSA. For those who don't remember or don't know, Steve Austin wasn't always a superstar and spent a good portion of his career as a non-main event type guy. Prior to his success, WCW creative had effectively written Steve Austin off as ineffectual and released him. Likewise, WWF eventually had nothing for him either after a failed attempt as Ted Dibiase's protege. The prevailing story goes that creative had completely given up on Austin to the point where they just said "go out there and do whatever you want." As illustrated by his minor successes in ECW, that's exactly what Austin needed. Stone Cold was born, and the rest is history.

To marginalize Anderson this early in his career and conclude that he won't be anywhere near the success of a Steve Austin (or any other prominent wrestling superstar) is more than a bit shortsighted, as much of Ken Andersons career just simply hasn't been written yet. Someone prior wrote that in his prime, Steve Austins fame was on par with or possibly eclipsed that of Hulk Hogans. Though today that is an easy assessment to make, I would challenge anyone from the early 90's to look at what Austin was accomplishing during that time period and come to the same conclusion.

I would agree that TNA are blatantly borrowing some of the themes and mannerisms of Stone Cold Steve Austin and incorporating them into the Mr. Anderson character. As always, how successful this will be long-term is anyones guess. What isn't a guess is that the recycle/re-use of past gimmicks and storylines in general has sometimes proved a formula for success depending upon execution and what the company/performer might be willing to add. For example, an argument could be made that John Cena's character is a modern day Hulk Hogan, and this has led to Cena's success. Training, Prayers, Vitamins begats Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect. John being beaten on for a high majority of a match, only to turn into "Super Cena" is almost no different from when Hogan would "Hulk up" in a likewise manner.

What I find slightly amusing is the sentiment here that Mr. Anderson will never be in the same league as SCSA. For those who don't remember or don't know, Steve Austin wasn't always a superstar and spent a good portion of his career as a non-main event type guy. Prior to his success, WCW creative had effectively written Steve Austin off as ineffectual and released him. Likewise, WWF eventually had nothing for him either after a failed attempt as Ted Dibiase's protege. The prevailing story goes that creative had completely given up on Austin to the point where they just said "go out there and do whatever you want." As illustrated by his minor successes in ECW, that's exactly what Austin needed. Stone Cold was born, and the rest is history.

To marginalize Anderson this early in his career and conclude that he won't be anywhere near the success of a Steve Austin (or any other prominent wrestling superstar) is more than a bit shortsighted, as much of Ken Andersons career just simply hasn't been written yet. Someone prior wrote that in his prime, Steve Austins fame was on par with or possibly eclipsed that of Hulk Hogans. Though today that is an easy assessment to make, I would challenge anyone from the early 90's to look at what Austin was accomplishing during that time period and come to the same conclusion.

From his debut, it took Austin 7 years to get to the main event, 8 years to become the most popular wrestler in the WWE, and 9 years to be the biggest star in all of wrestling. He beat HBK for the the world title in the main event at Wrestlemania 14 when he was 33 years old. When he won the title he had already suffered numerous injuries, including a near career ending neck injury, and wrestled for the three biggest companies in America.

Ken Anderson will be 35 next month. He's 2 years older than Austin was when he was the biggest star in wrestling. Anderson has been a pro wrestler for 12 years already. He has been in the main event since 2006. He even won the Money in the Bank match and Wrestlemania 23, the ultimate push a wrestler can get. Over the next two years injury and backstage problems kept him from making anything of himself. He then got fired from the WWE and spent a year in TNA before winnng the belt in front of 1200 people.

I'd say the its more than fair to say that Anderson will never be Steve Austin.

From his debut, it took Austin 7 years to get to the main event, 8 years to become the most popular wrestler in the WWE, and 9 years to be the biggest star in all of wrestling. He beat HBK for the the world title in the main event at Wrestlemania 14 when he was 33 years old. When he won the title he had already suffered numerous injuries, including a near career ending neck injury, and wrestled for the three biggest companies in America.

Ken Anderson will be 35 next month. He's 2 years older than Austin was when he was the biggest star in wrestling. Anderson has been a pro wrestler for 12 years already. He has been in the main event since 2006. He even won the Money in the Bank match and Wrestlemania 23, the ultimate push a wrestler can get. Over the next two years injury and backstage problems kept him from making anything of himself. He then got fired from the WWE and spent a year in TNA before winnng the belt in front of 1200 people.

I'd say the its more than fair to say that Anderson will never be Steve Austin.

Fair points to be sure. Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying that Anderson will in fact be a bonafide superstar of Steve Austin proportions. What I am saying is in that initial "spotlight" period of 1991-1995, nearly any fan would've been hard pressed to identify Steve Austin as a main event player, let alone a guy who would possibly eclipse the superstar that was Hulk Hogan.

If WWF creative (circa 1996) would've done what WWE creative tends to do now with "floundering" Superstars(tm), Steve Austin could've finished his career working high school gymnasiums for all we know. Remember, the time period in question was the onset of the Monday Night Wars. Call it extremely shortsighted, but WCW (namely, Eric Bischoff) made a firm decision that the company didn't need Steve Austin... at all, ever. He wasn't a key player in managements eyes, which is why he came with such venom when Heyman brought him into ECW. That short period of time was the foundation for the SCSA character.

So when WWF brings him on board, what do they do? Saddle him with a horrible gimmick (The Ringmaster), give him Ted Dibiase as a manager, and wrap the Million Dollar Belt around him. Steve Austin was completely floundering and nobody cared... not to mention the business was changing. Instead of firing him, creative simply threw up their hands and gave up... sending him out there with what equated to nothing. Funny enough, Austin needed this blank slate to perfect the character he had hinted at in his short stay with ECW. If WWF would've released Steve Austin, where would he have gone? What would he have done?

My guess? Back to ECW to eventually win their version of the world title in front of... oh, probably about 1200 people :) The point is, much of Andersons career is still potentially blank pages. What happens now and in the short term future will determine exactly how big of a player Anderson will be (or possibly won't be). Despite the "injury prone" accusations and supposed "politicking" for his firing, I wouldn't rule out a return to WWE for Ken Anderson at some point. I also wouldn't rule out the idea that Anderson does something extremely over the top while at TNA that garners some attention. The fact of the matter is, we just don't know yet and I'm not willing to write off someone without the story playing out in full.

What sold Austin to me was that he came across as a legit double hard bastard. If you screwed him, he'd kick your arse and you believed he could. He was always serious and intense in everything from his promos right down to his quick paced walk to the ring. When he came out you always went "Damn he looks pissed, I wouldn't want to be [such and such] right now!"

To me, Anderson so far has been a loud mouth goof who has a jovial side to his promos. This made me think of him as more a lovable rogue than a mean SOB. I like his character the way it is, but I'm willing to see where it goes.

As long as someone doesn't run him over....:p

Fair points to be sure. Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying that Anderson will in fact be a bonafide superstar of Steve Austin proportions. What I am saying is in that initial "spotlight" period of 1991-1995, nearly any fan would've been hard pressed to identify Steve Austin as a main event player, let alone a guy who would possibly eclipse the superstar that was Hulk Hogan.

If WWF creative (circa 1996) would've done what WWE creative tends to do now with "floundering" Superstars(tm), Steve Austin could've finished his career working high school gymnasiums for all we know. Remember, the time period in question was the onset of the Monday Night Wars. Call it extremely shortsighted, but WCW (namely, Eric Bischoff) made a firm decision that the company didn't need Steve Austin... at all, ever. He wasn't a key player in managements eyes, which is why he came with such venom when Heyman brought him into ECW. That short period of time was the foundation for the SCSA character.

So when WWF brings him on board, what do they do? Saddle him with a horrible gimmick (The Ringmaster), give him Ted Dibiase as a manager, and wrap the Million Dollar Belt around him. Steve Austin was completely floundering and nobody cared... not to mention the business was changing. Instead of firing him, creative simply threw up their hands and gave up... sending him out there with what equated to nothing. Funny enough, Austin needed this blank slate to perfect the character he had hinted at in his short stay with ECW. If WWF would've released Steve Austin, where would he have gone? What would he have done?

My guess? Back to ECW to eventually win their version of the world title in front of... oh, probably about 1200 people :) The point is, much of Andersons career is still potentially blank pages. What happens now and in the short term future will determine exactly how big of a player Anderson will be (or possibly won't be). Despite the "injury prone" accusations and supposed "politicking" for his firing, I wouldn't rule out a return to WWE for Ken Anderson at some point. I also wouldn't rule out the idea that Anderson does something extremely over the top while at TNA that garners some attention. The fact of the matter is, we just don't know yet and I'm not willing to write off someone without the story playing out in full.

Everything you say about Austin is true. I remeber him comming in with the green tights and hair as the million dollar champion. I still rememeber his horrible feud with Savio Vega. I'll certainly agree that it was partly just great luck that he turned into Stone Cold. Vince originally wanted to call him Ice Dagger.

I think we differ on where Anderson is now. You can't really make the comparison to Austin before he was a superstar with Anderson now. Anderson has already had 10 times the success that Austin had pre 1996. I just don't see how you can make the "wait and see" argument in a comparison with Austin when Anderson has been a main event player in the WWE and TNA for 5 years now. He's already a former world heavyweight champion. I like Anderson, but I don't see him reaching anything near Austins level unless he has a incredible run back in the WWE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back