Movies that were better/worse then the previews

Aeon Mathix

Has Ascended
Have you ever seen a preview for a movie where it looked awesome but the movie ended up being shit? or if the trailers looked horrible but the movie was amazing?

One example of a movie I saw that I loved the trailer for but hated the movie was Click starring Adam Sandler. I laughed my ass off in the previews and in fact i laughed more at the previews then the movie. It wasnt Sandler's worst movie thats just one of the many movies i recently saw that i thought looked good but wasnt. this is all my own opinion though no offense if you like the movie.

One movie I can think of off the top of my head that the previews looked really bad but the movie was amazing was Iron Man. Ok the previews didnt look THAT bad, up until i heard the Iron Man song play then I really thought the movie was going to be shit which made me sad because I was a huge fan of Iron Man growing up. Thank god I was wrong though and the movie kicked ass.

So what are some movies you all have seen where the trailer looked bad/good and the movie ended up being good/bad?

The Village.

I became very excited when I saw this trailer. I thought The Village would be something interesting and different. Well, it was different, but not in a good way. This film was a piece of garbage, and like most of M.Night Shyamalan's films, this one had a ton of hype behind it, but it failed to deliver. This film had a stupid premise, and I literally facepalmed in theater once the "mystery" was revealed. Man it was so fucking ridiculous. And the ending was just terrible. I had high hopes for this movie, because I really enjoyed Shyamalan's previous film around this time (Signs), and I couldn't wait to see this one. I was very disappointed by this film, and I believe this is where Shyamalan's downfall began.

I will say the one movie I was quite surprised with how good it was... I HOPE THEY SERVE BEER IN HELL. I wasn't expecting very much when I went to have dinner with my sister and her boyfriend. It was quite funny. To find out it was based on a guy's tales of using women for his own exploits. Everything in the story is good, from hanging with his friends, and learing about life. I really enjoyed it.

Then one movie that kinda disappointed me. It was DINNER FOR SCHMUCKS. It was funny, but not as funny as the commercials made it seem. Plus the dinner part was only like 15 minutes of the movie. I mean, I didn't hate it, but I feel like it was a waste of a title as well. Steve Carell and Paul Rudd have great chemistry on screen, but the movie basically showed most of the good parts on the commercial, I wasn't all that impressed.

I actually had a different feeling about Dinner For Schmucks. I thought it was going to be terrible after watching the commercials/trailers, but it actually surprised me. It's rare that I like a Steve Carell film(mainly because he always plays the same character) but this film was actually good. I really enjoyed the odd couple relationship between Carell and Paul Rudd. The dinner scene was a little over the top, but man was Zach Galifianakis funny. He was the best thing in this movie. I just wish we could've seen more of him.

Funny Games (2008)

[YOUTUBE]Ec-70W_K77U[/YOUTUBE]

One of the best trailers I've ever seen. You watch that and fully expect to see one epic of a horror movie. Instead, what you get is a pompous jackass' essay about how you're a terrible person for watching this movie after seeing the trailer. Seriously, no joke... that's what the movie was made for. It was made for this trailer to draw you in, only for you to then just get spat in the face and be told you're a terrible person for wanting to watch a movie like this.

So, yeah... such an easy answer for me. Funny Games could have been the best horror movie of the last decade with those performances, plot line, cinematography, etc. Instead it wasn't a film at all; just an essay on people's taste when it comes to horror movies.

I actually had a different feeling about Dinner For Schmucks. I thought it was going to be terrible after watching the commercials/trailers, but it actually surprised me. It's rare that I like a Steve Carell film(mainly because he always plays the same character) but this film was actually good. I really enjoyed the odd couple relationship between Carell and Paul Rudd. The dinner scene was a little over the top, but man was Zach Galifianakis funny. He was the best thing in this movie. I just wish we could've seen more of him.

I agree....it was a funny movie..I just wish there was maybe MORE of the dinner part. I think that was what made the movie. Zach's character was pretty funny, along with the interaction with the other 'special people' at the dinner. I found the dinner part the most entertaining, too bad that was not focused very much...lol

I remember when I was younger the "Polar Express" trailer looked really good, it seemed like it would be a nice film. I went on a field trip to see it and i was very dissappointed. It ended up being one of my least favorite Christmas movies of all time, not to mention one of my least favorite Tom Hanks movies.

And on a personal note, the trailer to "The Truman Show" is nothing like the movie. In fact, the trailer made it look silly, when in reality it is not really a comedy at all. I took it as a serious movie. (I'm bashng the trailer here, because the movie was awesome).

Thats easy for me.
Legion
In the preview I thought it was going to frikkin' epic. But turned out to be a major letdown. I thought it was going to be the sort of movie to send chills down my spine and be etched into my brain. The result was laughable, I watched it with my cousin, telling him it was a creppy apocalyptic movie and it turned out to be a borderline comedy, and a crappy one at that. The movie takes itself way too seriously. I mean, a little baby and an old granny killing people, WTF!! X10. And a guy exploding out of his boils, COME ON!!! One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Fun with Dick and Jane
I laughed all the way through the previews and the movie was a major letdown.

For me it was Cloverfield. The mysterious trailers, the massive hype, and the WTF aspect made me HAVE to see this movie. The movie was good but I thought it was going to be the most epic shit ever and it fell short for me. Also it was one of those movies that only works in theaters. The size of the Monster and the mayhem it causes looks much greater in a theater than a 24 inch tv lol.

Thats easy for me.
Legion
In the preview I thought it was going to frikkin' epic. But turned out to be a major letdown. I thought it was going to be the sort of movie to send chills down my spine and be etched into my brain. The result was laughable, I watched it with my cousin, telling him it was a creppy apocalyptic movie and it turned out to be a borderline comedy, and a crappy one at that. The movie takes itself way too seriously. I mean, a little baby and an old granny killing people, WTF!! X10. And a guy exploding out of his boils, COME ON!!! One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

I would have to disagree with you on that one, I knew from the previews that it was going to be a shittastic movie that would bomb like crazy at the box office. Oh how right I was. Think about it, demon granny? Evil ice cream man? Angels against angels? The whole human population except for a small podunk diner turned into mindless demon/angel slaves that want to kill the supposed baby savior of mankind? It screamed made for Sy Fy movie and idt it deserved even that. If I want to see a real apocalyptic story about demons and angels trying to kill the savior of the world and bring upon the apocalypse then I'll watch Supernatural, it has 2 extremely well written and acted seasons dedicated to just that and it worked. Maybe I'm just jaded to these kinds of movies because I've seen infinitely better stuff than they could ever hope to write but I can generally spot shitty movies like this fairly easily *cough* Jonah Hex *cough*

Semi Pro starring Will Farrell-I'm a huge Will Farrell fan and I enjoy his movies, but, this movie was by far THE biggest disappointment. I actually walked out the last 30 minutes or so of this movie. I should of walked out sooner but for some reason I thought this movie would get better. Of course it didn't. Basically if you've seen a Will Farrell movie you've seen this one. Basically the same character and the same jokes again.

A movie I was shocked I liked was Lord of the Rings: The Fellowhip of the Rings. The previews were just fine. But I thought it was going to be just another Sci-Fi movie that didn't deliver. I was so wrong. This movie with Harry Potter changed my opnion on Sci Fi/Fantasy movies.

I would have to say that The Happening starring Mark Wahlberg. The previews leading up to the movie made it seem like there was some sinister something controlling humans for an ultimate goal and there was great suspense and a mystery about what the fuck could be happening feel to it. The actual movie on the other hand was a horribly acted and written story that turned into an antipollution message that was tacked on at the end.
In it apparently plants start using a defense mechanism consisting of excreting toxins that cause the humans to lose our self preservation and start killing ourselves in overly elaborate ways.
Now this would have been fine if it hadn't been mentioned half an hour into the movie, if the characters had had to figure it out for themselves, and the audience alongside them of course, then it could have been a much more effective movie instead of the crapfest that was presented to us. On the bright side though it gave us some scenes that were so unbelievably stupid that they were hilarious such as Mark Wahlberg talking to a plastic tree, a dramatic scene at the end where they talk about a mood ring Mark Wahlberg gave his wife, and a scene where we are expected to believe that humans can outrun the wind.

I would have to say that The Happening starring Mark Wahlberg. The previews leading up to the movie made it seem like there was some sinister something controlling humans for an ultimate goal and there was great suspense and a mystery about what the fuck could be happening feel to it. The actual movie on the other hand was a horribly acted and written story that turned into an antipollution message that was tacked on at the end.
In it apparently plants start using a defense mechanism consisting of excreting toxins that cause the humans to lose our self preservation and start killing ourselves in overly elaborate ways.
Now this would have been fine if it hadn't been mentioned half an hour into the movie, if the characters had had to figure it out for themselves, and the audience alongside them of course, then it could have been a much more effective movie instead of the crapfest that was presented to us. On the bright side though it gave us some scenes that were so unbelievably stupid that they were hilarious such as Mark Wahlberg talking to a plastic tree, a dramatic scene at the end where they talk about a mood ring Mark Wahlberg gave his wife, and a scene where we are expected to believe that humans can outrun the wind.

Yeah, The Happening was a train wreck. This film featured some fine acting from just about everyone, but everything else was just terrible. When "the event" was finally revealed, I literally laughed out loud in the theater. I think this movie would've been better if it were a comedy, because I just don't how the audience was suppose to take this film seriously. But what else can you expect from an M.Night Shyamalan movie? There's always ton of hype behind his films, and the big surprise usually turns out to be a huge let down.

As far as thought it would be great and was let down? Easy. The Star Wars Prequels. They were unnessasary, and after much hype I was let down by the overall product. I loved the original ones, but these 3?.. Not so much.

For a movie that I thought would suck, but turned out pretty good? I got 2.

Crash: Had no interest in it watching the preview, but once I saw the movie, I really liked it, and thought the story was well done.

Juno: There's a shocker. Not a Michael Cera fan. Like.. At all. But I thought this movie was pretty good. Shocked the hell out of me.

The majority of the time previews make a film look better than it is, which is generally the point. No one would go see a film if people knew it was a piece of crap. However I have seen some that are actually better than the previews.

One that comes to mind is Predators. Now the film actually looked unappealing to me in the previews and I figured it was just them squeezing money out of the franchise, but I was pleasantly surprised. The film ended up being a good homage to the original. Sure some moments borderlined on "rip off", but it never really crossed that line and was good overall.

Commercial good, movie bad.

Robin Hood. The latest instalment starring Russel Crowe looked amazing in the commercials and something new for the story of Robin Hood. However once I saw the movie I had my face shaking in my hands. It was a poor excuse to put Crowe in an epic/drama role again. The movie lacked so much from the story of Robin Hood. I know they were trying to put a new swing on the story but they completely changed it. It ended where it should have started. I saw no robbing from the rich for the poor. No wit in Crowe’s character made him boring and predictable and the writing was horrendous. I had very high hopes going into this one but was very disappointed with the final product. The whole thing was more about France and England than it was about Robin Hood.

Commercial bad, movie good.

Garden State. The trailers for this made the film look terribly boring but boy was I surprised. It’s now one of my top 5 favourite movies of all time and I can thank Braff for that having written, directed and starred in the film. It’s a pitty he didn’t promote the movie as well as he’d made it. The film had a great chemistry between actors and themes throughout and completely drew me in. So much emotion and thought provoking in the movie made it memorable but the add’s made it look forgettable. Great movie and if you haven’t seen it I urge you to take a look.

QUOTE]Garden State. The trailers for this made the film look terribly boring but boy was I surprised. It’s now one of my top 5 favourite movies of all time and I can thank Braff for that having written, directed and starred in the film. It’s a pitty he didn’t promote the movie as well as he’d made it. The film had a great chemistry between actors and themes throughout and completely drew me in. So much emotion and thought provoking in the movie made it memorable but the add’s made it look forgettable. Great movie and if you haven’t seen it I urge you to take a look.[/QUOTE]

That has natalie portman in it right? Ive heard about it, I will be sure to check it out. And I completely agree with Robin Hood. Looked amazing when I saw the trailer in theaters, but then i guess it was too good to be true :disappointed:

For a good movie/bad trailer I would have to go with Hot Tub Time Machine. I thought this movie would be disaster, but it was probably the funniest move I have seen all year. As far as bad movie/good trailer I would go with Machete. This movie wasn't even going to be a movie at first. It was a trailer in Grindhouse originally. Fans demanded to see it though. I didn't expect it to be a masterpiece since Grindhouse wasn't that great, but I didn't think it would be a 90 minute long stereotype.

It was a joke even though Don Johnson, Jeff Fahey, and Robert DeNiro played good roles. Lindsay Lohan and Jessica Alba did a pretty shitty job. If anyone is expecting to see Lohan, Alba, or even Michelle Rodriguez bare all for the camera then you will be sadly disappointed. The only worthwhile nudity is a gorgeous Mayra Leal that appears butt naked in the beginning of the movie. She also pulls out a cell phone from her vagina. That pretty much sets the tone of how corny the rest of the movie is.

Oh, I've seen many films that look good then end up being shite.

Twilight: New Moon. I'm a fan of the Twilight saga but both the book and the film were incredibly unsatisfying and depressing.

Twilight: Eclipse. Again, I'm a fan - the book was good, the advert/commercial/trailer was good, but the film however, did not do the book justice or deliver the goods.

The Wrestler. This looked good, however it was more personal than anything about the business I thought. Plus, it featured stuff that we already knew happened in the Wrestling world; e.g blading.

Boogeyman 2. Wow, utter shit.

Every Saw film since number 3. They were all shit past number 3, they're running out of ideas and haven't yet realised that making more films is just ruining the franchise.

I would say the Tekken movie.

I was quick to judge and call it crap when I saw only a few of the popular characters like Yoshimitsu, Jin, Kazuya, Heihachi, Eddy, Law etc. were in it but no King, Hwoarang, Lei, Paul etc. But after seeing the movie, it wasnt bad. The fights were brutal except for Christy Montero's fight with Nina, it had some other flaws too. I was kinda disappointed when Kazuya nor Heihachi didnt fight at all well Kazuya does at the end with Jin but it's a short fight, Heihachi wasnt evil enough but the story was good imo and the ending makes you beg for a Tekken 2 to be released. If there is a Tekken 2, hopefully King, Paul, Hwoarang are in it making it all the more better.

I'd also have to say The Village, and The Happening. Maybe its just M Night Shymalan sucking after the success he had in Signs and The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable...but the 2 movies I named...just plain GARBAGE...thank goodness I only rented Happening in the 99 cent rental, I wish could've gotten my money back from the theater for Village. The whole town was living in modern day america in the middle of nowhere just to teach the kids a lesson? :wtf: Then you had the big dum dum kid running around and doofus falls into the well trying to dress up like Those They do not speak of....OMG...what a big let down. Then The happening...talk about utter shit on film. Marky Mark did better acting in Boogie Nights with his extra prostetics. I mean, plants killing people. Some of the thoughts were cool, like the dude laying down in front of the tractor etc, but the rest of it was just like, no fluidity, no meaning. Then I hear nothing but trash about this new M Night Shymalan movie "Devil" is it me or has he just lost touch with what he originally used to do that brought success??

Good Lord, The American with George Clooney.

Without giving away any spoilers, this was the most boring movie Ive EVER seen. The previews made it out to be this action packed thriller. The first five minutes started out hot, then we were treated to 2 hours of a brooding George Clooney. I still to this day, two weeks later, can't figure out the plot, or if there even was one. I cant understand how Clooney, my personal favorite actor, took this role. I doubt he needed the money.

This movie was so bad and so boring that of the 12 people who were in the theatre with us, 8 walked out. The couple that stayed turned around and said to my wife and I, "We should have walked out too". I couldn't argue with them, as I can't remember a movie I was quasi-pumped for and so let down by. What made it worse was the reviews it received! Roger Ebert gave it 4/4 stars! Do yourselves a favor and NEVERRRRR EEEVVVEERRRR see this movie. Dont go to the theatre, dont Redbox it, its not even worth a buck. Its two hours of my life I can never get back....:disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back