Movie Review Thread

X-Men - First Class

x-men-first-class-620x250.jpg

A movie that tells us the beginning of the X-Men Franchise and the relationship between Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr. I think that this movie has everything, the story is terrific and you don't need to be a X-Men fan to love it, there are a lot of sub roles like Mystic and Hank that the fans can relate and even know something about their past as well. The story deepens more about the ideals Professor X and Magneto and it actually make the viewers well, be divided between them.
It also introduces new characters and the special effects are incredible and not to annoying.
IMDb rate - 8.1
My Rate - 10/10

Transformers: Dark Of The Moon (2011) 6/10- I hated Revenge Of The Fallen with a passion, but this Transformers film was an improvement. Shia LaBeouf is still pretty entertaining as the lead man, John Turturro still does a great job at providing some hilarious comedy, and I really enjoyed the additions of Frances McDormand and John Malkovich here. As usual, they did a fine job on the acting side of things, and their characters were fun to watch. McDormand could be cold and mean, and Malkovich was kind of a goofy, but he could also be this weird and eccentric boss.

As far as Rosie Huntington-Whitley goes, she served her purpose here. She was great eye candy, because there were times, where I was mesmerized by her looks, and I thought I felt myself drooling a couple of times. She was hot, there’s no doubt about that, but her acting wasn’t anything special at all. She replaced Megan Fox as the hot girlfriend, so I wasn’t expecting too much from her in the first place. Although, I will say this, Fox’s acting might have been bad, but I think the Mikaela Banes character had more of a spark, and her personality had more life. Most of the time, Huntington-Whitley was so boring and bland in this film. I also wasn’t too crazy about the relationship between LaBeouf and Huntington-Whitley. They just jumped right into their relationship in this film, and there isn’t much of a backstory for it here. In the first Transformers film, I really enjoyed LaBeouf’s courtship of Megan Fox’s character. The nerdy and awkward guy in school chased the hot girl, who dated the cocky football player. It was fun to watch, and I was rooting for LaBeouf. I wanted him to capture Fox’s heart, and he eventually did. In Dark Of The Moon, the relationship between Huntington-Whitley and LaBeouf just feels so forced and random. In fact, I do believe Fox’s absence hurts this film. The relationship between Fox and LaBeouf progressed well over two films, but Fox and her character disappeared here, so they had to try and introduce a brand girlfriend in this film. And I can’t believe I’m going to say this about Megan Fox, but her absence does leave a pretty noticeable void here. It just feels weird at times, because Mikaela was supposed to be "the one" for Sam There are some slight references made towards Fox’s character in this film, but she was a big part of Sam Witwicky’s life, and a more thorough explanation of the break-up would’ve helped a lot. Huntington-Whitley just comes off as a replacement here, and it really shows at times.

Also, when it comes to the characters here, LaBeouf and Optimus Prime stood out among the rest again,. Sam Witwicky can be witty, and I wanted to see him succeed here. He’s the underdog hero, who you love to root for. And Prime is a benevolent and wise leader. McDormand and Malkovich were great additions, but everyone other character isn’t too interesting in this film. Their personalities are bland and dull, and I just could not care for them. I also wasn’t too crazy about Sentinel Prime as a villain here, because he didn’t measure up to Megatron. Megatron gets his fair share of spotlight here, but Sentinel Prime is the big cheese here. He’s the boss, and this is something that’s pretty clear throughout the entire film.

This Transformers film still features a good amount of corny and clichéd moments, and the ending is still pretty predictable, because you just know the good guys are going to make a comeback, but this film didn’t feel like the gigantic clusterfuck mess that was Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen. This film was more toned down, and some of the fight scenes were pretty entertaining. And speaking of the fight scenes, must every Transformer film feature a fight on some highway??? Anyway, Dark Of The Moon isn’t as bad as I thought it would be, and I thought this was a nice little way to close out the Transformers film series. McDormand and Malkovich really help elevate this film in the acting department, there are some decent twist and turns here, and the special effects in this film were pretty impressive. Shia LaBeouf has said he’s moving on after this film. He said he won’t do any more Transformers films, so it’ll be interesting to see how he develops from here, because the Transformers film series has been a big part of his career. I just hope LaBeouf can avoid Michael Bay in the future. LaBeouf has tons of potential, and he really doesn’t need Bay anymore.

Horrible Bosses (2011) 7/10- This film featured a pretty predictable story, the humor is VERY vulgar and raunchy, and there were times where it felt like this one was going through the motions, but I still thought Horrible Bosses was an entertaining film. Jennifer Aniston, Kevin Spacey, and Colin Farrell did a very good job, as they portrayed these cruel and heartless bosses. Aniston was this attractive woman, who would go out of her way to seduce Charlie Day’s character, and she would continue to threaten his job and his relationship throughout the entire film. Day is engaged, but Aniston continues her relentless pursuit of Day’s character regardless. Farrell plays a spoiled rich boy, who’s addicted to cocaine and the fast life. Farrell was pretty goofy most of the time, but he could be a real jerk, and he was driven by money. But when it comes to the most ruthless and evil boss, Kevin Spacey has no equal in this film. Spacey was cold and mean, he had this dark sense of humor, and he really did a phenomenal job with this character. Also, there were times where Spacey could be genuinely evil. All of the bosses in this film were nasty and cruel. They wanted to make their employees’ lives a living hell, but each boss was unique in their own way. Anniston was the hot older woman, who went of her way to seduce Day, Farrell was this obnoxious jerk, and Kevin Spacey was…well, he was just a real dick most of the time. Charlie Day, and Jason Sudeikis worked well as a trio, and I really wanted to feel for their characters, because they were victims of some pretty harsh treatment.

The story isn’t all that great for this film, and this one does become pretty predictable towards the end, but I thought Horrible Bosses delivered well. There are plenty of good laughs here, and this was an entertaining film from start to finish.

The Expendables (2010) 7/10-
I was kind of disappointed by this film. I expected something epic, when I watched this film. My expectations were high, but for me, The Expendables felt like another big time Hollywood action film. Of course, the high profiled cast added a nice spark to this one, but I didn’t see anything special in this film. The story felt pretty ordinary and bland, and there were some cheesy moments here. Still, The Expendables is a pretty fun film to watch. The action here was intense and exciting, this film does manage to maintain a nice and steady pace, and the cameos from Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger were fun to watch. Although, I think the high profiled cast really saves this film from turning into another forgettable Hollywood action flick, because overall, this film really doesn’t bring anything new to the table.

The Butterfly Effect (2004) (Director’s Cut) 8/10- I would give the theatrical version of The Butterfly Effect a 7/10. I love this film, but to tell you the truth, it’s not that good. But when it comes to the unrated director’s cut, I think this film deserves a more positive score, so I decided to bump it up little bit. Again, I really enjoy the theatrical version of The Butterfly Effect, but the ending for that film is pretty cheesy. It just makes the entire film feel so corny, but the director’s cut version decides to go a different route….

Ashton Kutcher’s character manages to travel through time by reading journals he wrote as a kid. He tries to fix some past mistakes. He wants to make everyone’s lives better, but he always screws everything up. Evan is obsessed with his first love Kayleigh (Amy Smart), and most of his travels through time revolve around her, because he wants to erase some tragic incidents from her childhood. At the end of the theatrical version, Kutcher uses some home movies to travel back to the first time he met Kayleigh as a child. Kutcher did everything he could to help Kayleigh as a kid, but he always made a crucial mistake, and these mistakes would destroy Kayleigh’s adult life. So as a child, Kutcher decides to threaten Kayleigh. He tells her that he “hates her”, and she if ever talks to him again, he will “kill her and her entire family.” Well, these words scare Kayleigh off, and these two never forge a relationship in the future. After Kutcher does this, everything goes back to normal. Smart and Kutcher’s characters go on to live a normal and successful lives. They pass each other, while walking on the street one day, but Kutcher doesn’t acknowledge Smart’s character, because he doesn’t want to ruin her life again. Yeah, I get it, Kutcher had to save the love of his life. Making sure their paths never crossed was the only sure-fire way this could work, but the “happily ever after” stuff felt so plain and generic. I was expecting something big at the end, but I’m always disappointed, when I see this version.

In the directors cut, Evan (Kutcher) and his mother visit a psychic one night. This psychic tells Evan he has no lifeline, and he wasn’t supposed to born. As far as the story goes, the rest of the film pretty much follows the same pattern as the original version, but things do take a drastic turn towards the end. Evan still uses the home movies to travel through time at the very end, but this time, he decides to travel back to the moment, when he was being born. He awakes as an unborn baby. While in the womb, Evan uses the umbilical cord to choke himself, and he eventually dies. After Evan erases himself from history, all of his friends and family go on to live happy and successful lives, and Kayleigh finds a man, who she eventually marries. I know, the idea of man traveling back through time, and killing himself inside his mother’s womb might sound kind of far fetched, but this didn’t bother me too much, and Kutcher DID have the power to go back and relive different events in his life. This ending felt so tragic and emotional. Kutcher wanted everyone to be happy, but he couldn’t make anything work as he traveled through time, so at the very end, he decided to make the ultimate sacrifice. This was a gut wrenching ending, and I enjoyed this one a lot more than the original version’s ending.
The Butterfly Effect is filled with some nice drama, and this film always takes me on an emotional rollercoaster. This film can be joyous, dark, disturbing, and there some sad moments here. This film has a nice amount of twists and turns, and I always feel for the characters in this film. The majority of the acting is pretty damn good here, but Kutcher wasn’t the best choice for the lead role. I don’t think Kutcher was that bad here (because I think he has been far worse in other films), but it can’t be a good sign, when the young actors, who portray the child versions of Kutcher’s character do a better job than him in this film. Although, there’s one moment in this film where Kutcher does show a lot of emotion….

In one of Evan’s time travel journeys, he encounters Kayliegh. Kayleigh has become a miserable drug addicted prostitute, and she isn’t happy to see Evan. She verbally tears into him at a diner, and Kutcher has this heartbroken look on his face, as he begins to cry, because he knows Kayleigh’s downfall is his fault.

Again, Kutcher isn’t horrendous here, but his overall performance doesn’t help this film.

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle (2004) 7/10-
Yeah, I know I might take some heat for this, but I still enjoy Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay more than this film. White Castle isn’t bad at all, and this is probably one of the more fun and unique stoner comedies. This film provides plenty of laughs, I do enjoy the whacky humor and wild adventure, and Harold and Kumar are very likeable as the odd couple here. Also, Neil Patrick Harris’ cameo is done so well. His appearance in this film does feel surprising and epic, and this film does do a good job of presenting Neil as a big time star. Harold and Kumar’s awestruck reactions, when they first meet Harris is a good example of this. But I’ve always felt this film is slightly overrated as a cult classic. Still, If I need a good laugh, I can always count on this film. Oh, and I really hope the Maria/Harold relationship will FINALLY go somewhere in the next Harold and Kumar film.

Doghouse (2009) 7/10- Vince (Stephen Graham) hasn’t gotten over his divorce yet. He’s pretty depressed over the split, so his friends decide to take him on a vacation. They take him to a village, and this village is filled with women. There’s plenty of women to go around, so this should be a fun time, right? Well, this happy little town does have plenty of women, but all of these women are zombies!!! Usually in zombie films, ANYONE can become infected with the deadly virus, but in this film, the virus only affects women, and the group of men must find a way to survive the deadly female zombies. Doghouse features some good comedy, and this one does become pretty gory and violent as time goes on. Also, I really enjoyed this twist at the end…..

The virus that turns the women into zombies evolves into “phase 2.” When this happens, the women become stronger, smarter, and faster. For the majority of the film, there are times where the female zombies can feel goofy and comical, but when the women transform, everything becomes more serious, and the group of men have to fight harder to survive. This twist adds a nice amount of suspense, and I thought it was a nice touch on this film.

Doghouse can be funny, and some of male characters began to question each others treatment of women as this film comes to an end. I haven’t seen too many zombie comedies, but Doghouse was pretty entertaining, and this film did enough to hook me in from beginning to end.

I've been on a horror movie rampage lately and I've been finding them all to be rather disappointing until today I was talked into watching Insidious. I thought it looked pretty dumb and I wasn't really looking forward it, but oh my god it was probably the best horror movie I've ever seen. I'd give it a 9/10. It starts off a little slow, but once it picks up it's great. It's less scary and more just creepy. I think the part that made it scary for me was thinking about how I would have reacted in that situation and how scary it would have been. It's basically a paranormal type horror, but I HIGHLY recommend it!

Captain America: The First Avenger I just watched Captain America and man was I disappointed. I mean it was ok to watch with a few friends when there is nothing else to do. But to watch it in a cinema in 3D and pay a tenner for it, no way. The story was shit and the character depth reached was a appalling. The only real positives is that it made me chuckle a few times and Chris Evans did a lot with nothing. Bad movie, one of Marvel's worst.
3/10

Super 8- I've just got home from the movies and I have to say I was surprised about the kids act, I mean they are kids and they kinda made the movie believable, sure it takes away some of the drama, but they were really good actors, I was really surprised by that.
The special effects were great, the movie has like a scene in the first 20 minutes, that will really blow your mind, a thing is that only Alice was an actress that I have seen, the others were complete NEW for me.
The plot has some fails, but they are small fails. Also, I don't know if it was only in my movie, but they had a blue light in every light source it was really annoying. Oh and I find myself laughing sometimes with things that they say that I'm pretty much sure that I shouldn't laugh :p
9/10

From Paris With Love- I like John Travolta in these kind of movies. I dug Taking of Pelham 123 for the same reason. He makes me laugh when he does his cocky bad ass routine. The movie wasn't anything special but it was a fun watch for me. I like these Shoot 'em up flicks when the mood is right and well, the mood was right this time. 3/5

The Drawn Together Movie: The Movie!- When you watch a show that crosses the line consistently on cable, you'd expect the movie to be even more disgusting. I have to say, they exceeded every expectation I had. This movie was beyond fucked up but I laughed my ass off the whole way through. Couldn't tell you the plot at all, but Christ is it funny if you can handle it. 3.5/5

Friends With Benefits- I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised here. Never a big fan of Mila Kunis. Especially not in starring roles. But Timberlake definitely held up his end and he's actually becoming one of my favorite comedic actors lately. The plot wasn't quite as predictable as I thought it would be and I feel that the film was actually very well written. I cringed at the cheesy Rom-Com stuff, but it's to be expected in these kind of movies. 4/5

Crazy, Stupid, Love - This was a movie I just didn't expect anything out of. It was just a night and my girlfriend decided she wanted to see this so we did. Little did I know, it was fantastic! Steve Carell made it a lot nicer than I thought it did. And that "The Notebook" Guy, Ryan Gosling, not bad either. But Emma Stone, my favorite character of the whole movie, just awesome. The movie starts out a bit slow but boy does it pick up when we find out how Stone, Carell, and Gosling are related. Aha, pretty good movie I say. One of my favorites of the year, honestly. 8/10

30 Minutes Or Less (6/10)

In a way it's almost better that this movie isn't doing great at the box office. It's making money but that's because I doubt it's budget was that high. The reason why it's a good thing is well it means that people are seeing better and smarter movers (hopefully). I'm pretty sure the producers weren't thinking this would be comedy gold. Rather they wanted to make quick cash on whoever would spend money on this one. It doesn't seem the target audience for this movies is thought highly of. "30 Minutes Or Less" is a movie that barely passes on my rating system. I didn't hate it and laughed at several scenes. However this is one of the low point comedies of the year.

So this film is based off a true story. Whether or not the pizza guy in real life was in on the crime, he still died. I saw the public address the police gave saying he was involved and the family didn't just sit there and take it. Making a comedy about this situation is pretty sketchy and controversial but let's over look it for now. Watching the movie with a prejudice isn't the best thing. So let's try to get some laughs for what it's worth.

Nick (Jesse Eisenberg miscasted and wasting his talent) delivers pizza for a living. He speeds to his targets but you get the sense he doesn't really care about reaching there in time. He lives with his friend Chet (Aziz Ansari) and is in love with Chet's twin sister (Dilshad Vadsaria). The twin sister might be one of the weakest plot elements I've seen in a film ever. The movie remains exactly the same if she was never there in the first place. Else where two buddies (Danny McBride and Nick Swardson) come up with a crazy plan. They get a hit man (Michael Pena) to kill McBride's father in order to get his fortune. They need money to pay the hit man. So they attach a bomb to our lowly hero Nick and have him get them $100,000 (Seems like way to much money). Nick and Chet are in for the ride of their lives.

A film like "30 Minutes Or Less" should be fast and energetic. It shouldn't slow down and try to keep the thrills for all it's running time. However this movie slows down a lot and goes into classic bromance moments between Chet and Nick. A bomb on your chest should make you a little bit more anxious and dryer than making dumb little jokes. The comedy will get the occasional laugh but falls flat far too often. The almost serious moments of the film where they try to move the plot forward fail on most levels (comedy and involvement being the most important). Also maybe it was just me but the amount of product placement in the film is close to "Transformers" level. I'd say about 95% of the scenes tried to either subtly or forcefully shove a name brand product down my throat. It was really annoying but maybe it was just me. Although I think it's unanimous that "30 Minutes Or Less" is one of the most mediocre comedies of the year and even in several years. "Bridesmaids" and "Cedar Rapids" are the only two comedies worth praising over this year but "Paul" and "Horrible Bosses" were still good. This one is nothing compared to those films. It's a movie you watch with a forgiving gaze that comes from a lack of sleep but being wide awake wouldn't change what I say.

6/10
Recommendation: The weakest 6/10 I've even given, Thought about dropping the rating but I laughed enough that it would be me overreacting to lower it. Wait for the DVD and even then don't buy it, rent if you want.

The Help (2011) 8/10- The Help does provide some nice drama, this film does feature a few tear jerking moments, and the racial themes in this film did provide a lot of uncomfortable and disturbing scenes. Emma Stone delivered a very solid performance, but she didn’t carry this film. Stone wasn’t bad at all here, but this wasn’t the breakout performance I was looking for. Still, Stone does show plenty of potential, and she should have a bright future in Hollywood. The entire cast really gives a great collective effort here, because this film really does feature some good acting. Viola Davis provided a strong and captivating performance, and at times, it did feel like she was carrying this film. The Help probably won’t receive any Oscar nominations, but this was a nice drama.

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) 7/10-
Chris Evans really surprised me here, because I didn’t think he could carry the role of Captain America. I don’t hate Evans. I think he’s a decent enough actor, but I wasn’t excited about him as the lead here, but Evans wasn’t bad in this film. In fact, he was pretty good most of the time. Captain America is one of those characters who you really want to root for. Evans starts out as this brave and shy person, who isn’t afraid of “bullies,” but he slowly transforms into this strong leader. Evans did a fine job with the Captain America character, and he was very believable here. Also, Hugo Weaving was very entertaining as Red Skull. He was cold and evil, and he did deliver as the intelligent and power hungry villain. Weaving is a very solid actor, and there are times, where I think he doesn’t get enough credit for his work. The acting was very solid in this film, and I actually liked Tommy Lee Jones here. Usually, I can’t stand Jones, but he wasn’t bad as the hard ass Army Colonel. Jones was a perfect choice for this role, because he was very comfortable with his character. The First Avenger provides a good mix of action and drama, this film did feature some good nostalgia from the 1940’s, and the special effects looked great here. This was an enjoyable blockbuster, but The Avengers film had better deliver. There is a good amount of hype surrounding this film, and all of the teasing at the end of the Marvel films is driving me nuts.

Final Destination 5 (2011) 6/10- Wow. I was actually very surprised by this film, and Final Destination 5 is way better than The Final Destination (Final Destination 4). As far as the story goes, they pretty much stick to the same formula…the main character has a vision of a tragic accident that kills many people, the hero is able to save a select few from certain death, and then the surviving victims die a series of bizarre and brutal deaths. The formula for the story doesn’t change too much here, and the acting is still pretty mediocre, but Final Destination 5 does feature a lot more suspense, the ending provides a nice shock, and there is a good amount of tension in this film. And yeah, the deaths in this film are really sickening. Some of the deaths in this film actually made me cringe, because I couldn’t believe how graphic they were. Also, the visuals in this film are pretty good, and I am happy I took chance on the 3D here. Final Destination 5 features some of the best 3D effects I’ve ever seen, and this was one of the highlights for the 3D version of this film. And I really enjoyed the video package at the very end of the film…..

At the very end of the film, they show a highlight package that features every death in the Final Destination film series. I thought this was a nice touch, and this video package takes Final Destination fans on a fun trip down memory lane.

I am a loyal follower of The Final Destination film series, but I wasn’t blown away by this ( I still can‘t believe the 9/10 rating from Bloody Disgusting.com), because if you’ve seen one Final Destination film, then you’ve seen them all. Sure, this film does feature different characters and a different tragedy, but if you chose to watch this film, you will have that “I‘ve seen this before feeling“. Still, Final Destination 5 can be entertaining, and fans of the series should enjoy this film.

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) 10/10-
This was a very tough rating for me, but I decided to go with a ten here. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 delivers, and this was a GREAT way too close out the Potter film series. The Deathly Hallows Part 2 was filled with plenty of emotion and thrills, and this film was visually stunning. Also, this Potter film did feature some strong performances. Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint really came through in this film. This was the last Potter film. Story wise, everything was on the line. Every character had to bring their best in this film, and the cast did deliver their A game here. I could really feel the serious desperate nature of the situation (trying to defeat Lord Voldemort once and for all) because everyone did a good job of showing emotion here, especially Radcliffe, Watson, and Grint. There were some tragic deaths in this film, but one particular death really pissed me off…

WHY THE FUCK DID BELLATRIX LESTRANGE HAVE TO DIE!!!!!!

Yeah, I know, she was a Death Eater, and she was one of the bad guys, but I always loved this character. Lestrange was delightfully psychotic, and Helena Bonham Carter did such a great job with this character. I know a lot of people were more upset about the deaths of Fred, Remus, Tonks, and Lavender, but Bellatrix’s death was a real bummer for me.

And the big showdown between Harry and Voldemort helped drive the ten rating home for me…..
I think the big battle between Harry and Voldemort lived up to expectations. There was a good amount of drama here, and seeing Neville play a part in the ending surprised me. I thought Hermoine and Ron would find a way to kill Nagini, but Neville came through, as he decapitated the deadly snake. This was shocking for me, because Neville is a nervous and clumsy character, so you would never expect anything brave from him. Voldemort’s demise was the moment all Harry Potter fans were waiting for, and I think this moment delivered.

Also, there are a good amount of sad moments here, but the final moments of this film were really emotional for me. The timeline progresses nineteen years. Harry and Ginny are married to each other, and Ron and Hermione have also tied the knot. Each couple had children, and the happy parents sent their children to Hogwarts. The three main characters were all grown up. It was time to move on. The Harry Potter franchise was over, and this empty feeling really hit me hard during this final scene.

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 is a very satisfying conclusion to the Potter film series, this film provides a great amount of closure, and every Potter fan should enjoy this film. Following eight films can feel like a long and tiresome journey, but The Deathly Hallows Part 2 provides a tremendous payoff.

Cowboys & Aliens (2011) 7/10- I didn’t know what to expect from this film. I thought Cowboys & Aliens would suck, but I actually had a fun time with this one. Daniel Craig did a fine job with the lead role, and Harrison Ford was surprisingly good here. His performance surprised me, because I’ll always see Ford as Han Solo and Indiana Jones, and the majority of his work has been mediocre at best, but Ford was very believable here, as he portrayed this powerful rich man who controlled the town. He did have a strong presence here, and I really enjoyed his character. Also, Olivia Wilde was decent enough as the mysterious woman, who wanted to help fight the alien invasion. Cowboys & Aliens features a good amount of action, and I was hooked into this film, because the story here is mysterious and intriguing. There are some decent twist and turns here, and overall, this can be a very fun film. The final battle at the end felt kind of silly at times, but it didn’t bother me too much. Cowboys & Aliens is a fun film, and for me, this has been one of the more enjoyable blockbusters this summer.

The Change-Up (2011) 1/10- Garbage. I tried to get into this. I really did, but I just couldn’t. Jason Bateman and Reynolds are likeable as a duo here, and the “switch” did have it’s funny moments. As usual, Ryan Reynolds is the cocky douche bag, and Jason Bateman is the nervous and stuck up successful man. Watching these two take on each other’s personalities and daily lives was fun at times, but overall, this film is just shit. The story is SO painfully predictable, and you can see everything coming from a mile away, as this film slowly goes through the motions. Also, the humor in this film isn’t good. I don’t mind a few gross and crude moments of humor, but this film goes way over the top with the vulgar stuff, and it just isn’t funny after a while. A few shocking moments of gross and vulgar humor is fine, but it isn’t funny when you over do it, because the crude jokes and vulgar humor will lose their shock value after a while. Olivia Wilde looks gorgeous as always, but there’s nothing special about her character. For the most part, she’s just eye candy here. Leslie Mann provides a solid performance here, but her acting wasn’t enough to save this one. If you enjoy non stop raunchy comedies, you’ll probably like this but I really, really hated this film.

Hobo With A Shotgun (2011) 7/10- Extreme and disturbing. These are the two words I would use to describe this film. Hobo With A Shot Gun is filled with some very graphic and gruesome gore, and the violence in this film is unreal. This film does have nice fast pace, because the story does progress pretty quickly, and this film doesn’t have too many dull moments. The majority of the acting in this film is kind of bad, but Rutger Hauer (The Hobo) does a great job with the lead role here. He carries this film on his back, and he really nailed The Hobo character. Hauer is very believable as the righteous and wise old man, who wants to clean up the violence and crime in Scum Town (the setting of the story). This film does feature tons of gruesome violence and pervasive language, but underneath all of the chaos, there is a touching story. Abby (Molly Dunsworth) is a young prostitute, who doesn’t believe in herself. She thinks she is worthless, but Abby begins to change her outlook on life after The Hobo saves her from a deadly situation. The Hobo inspires Abby to believe in herself, and these two forge a friendly bond as the film progresses. This was a nice little storyline, and I really did enjoy it. Hobo With A Shotgun packs a powerful punch, and this was a very fun action exploitation film. Also, the characters in this film are very over the top, especially the villains. Brian Downey (The Drake) gives a solid performance as the main villain in this film. The Drake is a very evil and twisted person. He was psychotic, and Downey did deliver with this character. Hobo With A Shotgun can be an entertaining film, but I will warn you, if you’re not into violent and over the top exploitation flicks, you should stay away from this film, because you will HATE this. This film is extremely violent and gruesome, and these type of films won’t appeal to everyone, because Hobo With A Shotgun is targeted at a very small fan base.

Tucker & Dale VS Evil (2011) 9/10- This was an excellent horror comedy. Tucker & Dale VS Evil is hilarious from beginning to end, the acting is solid, and this film does feature plenty of laughs. This story took me on a wild ride, and there were a good amount of twists and turns here. Tucker & Dale features your typical type of horror film characters. There are a few hot and young women here, there are some young and cocky male meatheads, and the two main characters look like your regular old creepy recluses, who live in the middle of nowhere, and commit gruesome murders on innocent intruders. But Tucker (Alan Tudyk) and Dale (Tyler Labine) aren’t your typical blood thirsty killers in this film, and they actually have to defend themselves from numerous attacks! Tucker & Dale VS Evil isn’t for everyone, because this film does feature a lot of gruesome scenes that are filled with blood and gore, and everyone won’t enjoy the violent and gory type of humor this film provides. But I really enjoyed this film, and this is high up on my list of surprises for 2011.

Wake Wood (2011) 8/10-
Patrick (Aidan Gillen) and Louise (Eva Birthistle) are still grieving over the tragic death of their nine year old daughter, Alice. Alice was killed by a gruesome dog attack. Patrick and Louise want to move on, so they relocate to a quite little town called Wake Wood. This seems like a quiet little town, but one night, Louise accidentally witness a creepy ritual. After a while, Louise and Patrick learn more about the ritual. This ritual can bring people back from the dead, Patrick and Louise want to see their daughter again, so they decide to use the ritual to bring her back to life, but everything quickly takes a turn for the worst…..
This ritual can bring people back to life, but there a few major details about this ritual.

1. The person who is resurrected can only stay alive for three days. After that, they MUST return to the afterlife.

2. This ritual can only work properly, if this person has been dead for under a year.

3. The resurrected victim must remain in Wake Wood.

Well, Patrick and Louise want to see their daughter again, but Alice has been dead for over a year. They decide to lie to the man who can bring her back to life (Timothy Spall), and he agrees to perform the ritual. Everything is fine at first. Patrick and Louise enjoy the reunion with their resurrected daughter, but Alice doesn’t want to return to the afterlife, when her time comes. She wants to stay with her parents. She goes on a murderous rampage, as she begins to kill random residents in Wake Wood. Alice has been dead for over year, and the joyous reunion goes horribly wrong, when Alice turns into a killing machine.

Wake Wood starts out pretty slow, but this film does become a lot better as time goes on. There is a good amount of tension here, this film does have some gory moments, and Wake Wood can feel chilling at times. The acting in this film is very solid, and I really did enjoy the story here. I wanted to feel for the parents, because they wanted to see their daughter again. This story can be spooky, but this film can have this deep sadness at times. And I thought the ending was done very well…..
Alice goes on a killing spree at the very end. She DOES NOT want to return to the afterlife. She wants to keep living, but Louise manages to trick her at the very end. Alice must stay within in the limits of Wake Wood for the ritual to work. She can not leave Wake Wood, because the fatal wounds that killed her will reappear. Well, Louise strays close to outskirts of Wake Wood, and she manages to trick Alice into a hug. Alice begins to approach her mother, but she comes too close to the outer limits of Wake Wood, the wounds reappear, and Alice finally dies…again.

Alice is dead, and her short time on Earth is up, so her mother must burry her. Louise buries her daughter, but as she cries on her husband’s shoulder, Alice pulls her into the ground! Louise and Alice disappear into the afterlife, and Patrick is all alone in the world. But Patrick refuses to give up. He finds a strand of Louise’s hair (a personal relic is needed for the ritual) and after another ritual, Louise is brought back to life. At the very end of the film, Patrick has a set of surgical tools with him, as he prepares to deliver a baby from the noticeably pregnant Louise ( Earlier in the film, Louise found out she was pregnant , when Alice told her). The ending for this film was filled with emotion and drama, and the return of a pregnant Louise was a nice twist. Louise didn’t want to kill her daughter, but she knew she had to do the right thing. This ending was very bittersweet and sad, because Patrick and Louise still didn’t get to say good-bye the proper way.

This horror film doesn’t go too over the top with the gore and violence, and there aren’t too many spook moments here, but I loved the story for this film, and Wake Wood was a nice little surprise for me.

The Truth (2010) 2/10- So a married couple is having a nice and quiet night at home, but everything takes a horrible turn pretty quickly. An intruder holds the couple hostage in their own home, and he slowly begins to reveal some dark secrets from the couple’s past. The finger pointing begins, as this mysterious intruder begins to reveal dark secrets.
The acting in this film is decent enough, and I was hooked into the story from beginning to end. It was mysterious, because I wanted to know who this guy was. Why was he torturing this seemingly innocent married couple? Why did he want to see them suffer so badly? Why does the married couple continue to hide from each other? This film does have a nice mystery, but the unbelievable stupidity in this film drove me nuts….

So the intruder (Gabriel) begins to reveal these dark secrets, and he manages to turn the married couple against each other. Apparently, the wife (Dana) was a former drug addict, and she did have a romantic past with the intruder. And the husband (Jonathan) played a part in breaking up the marriage between Gabriel’s parents when he was younger. Jonathan had an affair with Gabriel’s mother, and when his father finally learned of the affair, he killed his mother. Obviously, Gabriel is still bitter about this. Anyway, there’s a big showdown at the end between these three characters. Jonathan is shot to death, and Gabriel almost makes it out alive, but he actually decides to trust his former lover Dana. Well, he lowers his guard, and Dana fires a few shots into his chest. And as Dana is about to escape, Gabriel shots her in the back once, but this shot doesn’t kill her, Dana manages to walk out the door, Gabriel dies, and the film ends. This sounds like a good ending, right? Well, I thought it was fucking terrible, and I’ll tell you why I feel this way. Once Gabriel reveals a good amount of secrets, Dana and Jonathan turn on each other. And towards the end of the film, they don’t trust each other at all. Also, this intruder (who isn’t too bright by the way) makes a few mistakes. Jonathan and Dana could’ve taken advantage of his stupidity, but they NEVER do. Everyone in this film didn’t trust each other towards the end, and everyone had plenty of chances to escape the house, but they didn’t. There was NO real reason for anyone to stay in the house, as the film came to an end. That’s why I can’t stand the big showdown at the end, because it should’ve never happened.

The Truth does provide some decent suspense, and there are some disturbing moments in this one, but the stupid characters drove me nuts.

Gangster’s Paradise: Jerusalema (2008) 8/10-
Gangster’s Paradise features a very familiar from rags to riches gangster style story. Lucky Kunene (Rapulana Seiphemo) starts out as poor kid who works at a gas station, but he wants to enjoy the finer things in life, so he decides to steal cars with his best friend Zakes (Ronnie Nyakale). But this criminal lifestyle attracts too much unwanted attention, and Lucky must start all over again. As the timeline progress, Lucky becomes a powerful and rich slumlord, who takes over the real estate market in Hillborw (a neighborhood in Johannesburg, South Africa). Lucky manages to find the woman of his dreams, and he eventually lives the good life he always dreamed of. But Lucky makes a series of bad decisions, he associates himself with the wrong people, and his empire begins to fall apart. As I said before, the rags to riches gangster style story has been done before, but Gangster’s Paradise manages to pull it off very well here. Lucky Kunene is one of those bad guys who you want to root for you. He doesn’t come off as being evil. He wants to fight for the common man, and he does want to make positive changes in the community. Gangster’s Paradise features a good amount of drama, the acting is pretty solid here, and this film does have a raw feeling, because the filmmakers do show the very harsh and realistic lifestyle of the Johannesburg citizens. Also, I could really feel the struggle, as Lucky rose to power. Lucky became a strong character. He was on top of the world, as he ruled his empire, but towards the end of this film, his empire falls apart, and he is all alone. Seiphemo’s character was still pretty cocky towards the end, but he did lose everything. And Robert Hobbs delivered as Detective Blakkie Swart (one of Lucky‘s rivals in this film). He was the mean detective who wanted to put Lucky behind bars, and I did hate this character at times. Swart was supposed to be the good guy. He did everything by the book, but he could be a dick, and Hobbs’ character was the typical unlikable self righteous authority figure who despised any lawbreakers. Gangster’s Paradise is a gripping drama, the story does feel inspirational, and I really did enjoy this film.

Cry Baby Lane (2000) 5/10-
I had a tough time trying to come up with the appropriate rating for this one. Cry Baby Lane does feature some really silly moments. For example, Mr. Bennett (the local undertaker who is played by Frank Langella) is attacked by a possessed child with a toy lightsaber. Yeah, the Bennett character is actually beaten by a kid with a toy lightsaber, and Bennett actually suffers some injuries from this attack. I couldn’t believe this, and this moment brought that “ARE YOU SERIOUS???” reaction out of me. But then I remembered something, this is a kiddy flick, and this was a Nickelodeon horror film, so you can’t expect anything too extreme. Overall, I actually enjoyed Cry Baby Lane, and I thought this was a decent enough horror film. Cry Baby Lane does feature a good ghost story, this film does provide a nice mix of horror and comedy, and the acting was decent enough. Again, you can’t expect anything bloody and gruesome here, and this film does feel very tamed at times, but this was a made for TV horror movie, and it’s all about the kids here. Cry Baby Lane isn’t a forgotten classic, but this was an enjoyable film for me, and I was pleasantly surprised by this.

I can comment on the ones Ive seen, although Mitch does a far better job here then I.

The Help (2011) 8/10- The Help does provide some nice drama, this film does feature a few tear jerking moments, and the racial themes in this film did provide a lot of uncomfortable and disturbing scenes. Emma Stone delivered a very solid performance, but she didn’t carry this film. Stone wasn’t bad at all here, but this wasn’t the breakout performance I was looking for. Still, Stone does show plenty of potential, and she should have a bright future in Hollywood. The entire cast really gives a great collective effort here, because this film really does feature some good acting. Viola Davis provided a strong and captivating performance, and at times, it did feel like she was carrying this film. The Help probably won’t receive any Oscar nominations, but this was a nice drama.

I really liked this one. I was pleasantly surprised when my wife dragged me along opening night, much against my will. But this movie is incredibly well acted, and It is quite rare to have so many developed characters in one movie. There are some characters we immediately connect with, while others drew my ire each time their face appears. The script and these fine actresses utilize humor to point out the shameful behavior of those who saw themselves as superior. The humor doesn't soften the ignorance or abuse, but it does make the film infinitely more watchable and entertaining. Emma Stone and Violet Davis really shined in particular here. When a movie doesn't have the explosions, crazy action or crude humor that one has become accustomed to seeing in newer movies, there has got to be a great story attached in order to maintain most people's interest. The Help had that great story. Im with Mitch: 8/10.

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) 7/10-[/B] Chris Evans really surprised me here, because I didn’t think he could carry the role of Captain America. I don’t hate Evans. I think he’s a decent enough actor, but I wasn’t excited about him as the lead here, but Evans wasn’t bad in this film. In fact, he was pretty good most of the time. Captain America is one of those characters who you really want to root for. Evans starts out as this brave and shy person, who isn’t afraid of “bullies,” but he slowly transforms into this strong leader. Evans did a fine job with the Captain America character, and he was very believable here. Also, Hugo Weaving was very entertaining as Red Skull. He was cold and evil, and he did deliver as the intelligent and power hungry villain. Weaving is a very solid actor, and there are times, where I think he doesn’t get enough credit for his work. The acting was very solid in this film, and I actually liked Tommy Lee Jones here. Usually, I can’t stand Jones, but he wasn’t bad as the hard ass Army Colonel. Jones was a perfect choice for this role, because he was very comfortable with his character. The First Avenger provides a good mix of action and drama, this film did feature some good nostalgia from the 1940’s, and the special effects looked great here. This was an enjoyable blockbuster, but The Avengers film had better deliver. There is a good amount of hype surrounding this film, and all of the teasing at the end of the Marvel films is driving me nuts.

A pretty decent film by its own merits. Chris Evans did a great job as Captain America. Some of the action scenes are disappointingly unexciting but at least the CGI effects are eye candy. The movie ends with true patriotic heroism and full of heart. Definitely not relevant but it's still enjoyable. The First Avenger has been reused by so many superhero movies. A good guy who is a weakling became powerful then eventually saves the day. It's definitely not innovating even for the people who've never read the comics but it's a relic. Well made production design & the old fashion score. Most battle scenes are montages. The action scenes are large. The joys and the thrills mostly goes to the performances. Nothing goes wrong with Chris Evans. He did a decent job as Steve Rogers/Captain America. Hugo Weaving is fun to watch by his campiness and menace for the Red Skull. Tommy Lee Jones is the comic relief here. Plenty of things worked in the end. Captain America: The First Avenger is a relic in its old fashion style but a little messy when it comes to the editing of the action scenes, but it's still enjoyable. Patriotic heroism, full of heart, Chris Evans, and decent production design. Marvel Studios and Joe Johnston really beats the awful 1990s version. The action could have been better but their flaws can be ignored. It's fun enough as a superhero movie, although the plot and the action scenes were disapointing at times. . 6/10

Final Destination 5 (2011) 6/10- Wow. I was actually very surprised by this film, and Final Destination 5 is way better than The Final Destination (Final Destination 4). As far as the story goes, they pretty much stick to the same formula…the main character has a vision of a tragic accident that kills many people, the hero is able to save a select few from certain death, and then the surviving victims die a series of bizarre and brutal deaths. The formula for the story doesn’t change too much here, and the acting is still pretty mediocre, but Final Destination 5 does feature a lot more suspense, the ending provides a nice shock, and there is a good amount of tension in this film. And yeah, the deaths in this film are really sickening. Some of the deaths in this film actually made me cringe, because I couldn’t believe how graphic they were. Also, the visuals in this film are pretty good, and I am happy I took chance on the 3D here. Final Destination 5 features some of the best 3D effects I’ve ever seen, and this was one of the highlights for the 3D version of this film. And I really enjoyed the video package at the very end of the film…..

Never cared for any of the movies in this series, as they grew progressively worse as the series went along. It felt like it was going the way of the Saw franchise in that sense that each movie replaced any semblance of plot or intelligent acting in favor of increasing the gore factor. But I was pleasantly surprised here. While it still had its fair share of disturbing images, the movie actually took the time to develop and flesh out some of the characters, something it had failed to do since the first one. The death scenes were impressively done in a way that while youre lead to believe that someone may die one way, I was thrown for quite a few curveballs as they were killed off in completely different ways. There was nothing special about this movie, as it does follow the similar pattern of its predecessors. But the movie isn't going for Academy Awards or Oscar Nominations, it knows what it is and doesn't stray too far from it. Going 5/10 here is a miracle as compared to the 1 or 2/10 I would have given to the past few ones.

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) 10/10-
This was a very tough rating for me, but I decided to go with a ten here. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 delivers, and this was a GREAT way too close out the Potter film series. The Deathly Hallows Part 2 was filled with plenty of emotion and thrills, and this film was visually stunning. Also, this Potter film did feature some strong performances. Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint really came through in this film. This was the last Potter film. Story wise, everything was on the line. Every character had to bring their best in this film, and the cast did deliver their A game here. I could really feel the serious desperate nature of the situation (trying to defeat Lord Voldemort once and for all) because everyone did a good job of showing emotion here, especially Radcliffe, Watson, and Grint. I think the big battle between Harry and Voldemort lived up to expectations. There was a good amount of drama here, and seeing Neville play a part in the ending surprised me. I thought Hermoine and Ron would find a way to kill Nagini, but Neville came through, as he decapitated the deadly snake. This was shocking for me, because Neville is a nervous and clumsy character, so you would never expect anything brave from him. Voldemort’s demise was the moment all Harry Potter fans were waiting for, and I think this moment delivered.Also, there are a good amount of sad moments here, but the final moments of this film were really emotional for me. The timeline progresses nineteen years. Harry and Ginny are married to each other, and Ron and Hermione have also tied the knot. Each couple had children, and the happy parents sent their children to Hogwarts. The three main characters were all grown up. It was time to move on. The Harry Potter franchise was over, and this empty feeling really hit me hard during this final scene.[/SPOILER]
Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 is a very satisfying conclusion to the Potter film series, this film provides a great amount of closure, and every Potter fan should enjoy this film. Following eight films can feel like a long and tiresome journey, but The Deathly Hallows Part 2 provides a tremendous payoff.

I agree with the 10/10 here. Just because a movie isn't quite as good as its predecessors doesn't mean that it unfairly deserves less. Order of The Phoenix was the best in my opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that this was worthy curtain call. I wound up seeing this one in theatres twice and it was the rare movie where I didnt want to hear or see anything but the action on the screen.

I should preface any review I give here in that I never read the books. Some of my opinion may be slanted higher then those who have read the books, which is the same I felt when I saw The DaVince Code or Angels and Demons. They were good movies, yes, but the books absolutely blew them away, and key plot elements were left out, as Im sure was the case here.

I could see people looking at this film in a stand-alone vein, which would leave one with little more then a action heavy film that could be dismissed as merely glitzy uninspired bore. The key here is context, however. My familiarity and previously established emotional connection with these characters and their stories left me holding my breath during every dangerous moment instead of sitting back indifferently and indulging in cynicism. But a ten-year "relationship" was developed between myself and these characters However, when it comes to the Harry Potter characters, which transcends the usual barriers that are placed in front of fictional characters and ultimately making this an impossibly lovable and endlessly enthralling movie. And in a nostalgic manner in the vein of the first six Potter installments, the bulk of this film takes place at the historic Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, placing the search for the remaining horcruxes in a profoundly different environment and atmosphere. Here, Harry and co. find themselves amongst the most loyal and supportive friends anyone could wish for. The infallible trust and beautiful hope we see in their eyes as they see that Harry has arrived to rally them all into finally facing off the forces of evil that are oppressing them is astonishingly touching. This allows for and presents the backstory that leads up beautifully to the final battle with Voldemort.

Being back at Hogwarts, as Voldemort predicted, lead to terrible consequences as well as touching moments. Voldemort predicted that Harry would return to Hogwarts at some point to seek the aid of his old allies and is ready for him when he arrives. Our empathy is certainly with Harry as the guilt and the doubts overwhelm him, but it is clear that his friends would much rather die in this horrific battle then join Voldemort and gutlessly scavenge an undeserved existence. They stare in the face of terrible danger and somehow know that this can be overcome in the end.

This rebellious spirit is supported Voldemort's visible deterioration. He cares only about avoiding death at any cost, and so he has in fact resorted to scavenging that miserable existence, with horrifying results. As the horcruxes are disappearing, he is experiencing a gradual destruction of the soul that is far worse than death. His final demise is far from sudden: the direction from David Yates drops small hints and artistic allusions that show the formerly great and powerful figure slowly being reduced to nothing.

That this has all been depicted so effectively is largely attributed to the masterful acting from Ralph Feinnes, who has managed brilliantly to create a very fascinating character. It is often mentioned that the cast is filled with an abundance of accomplished British actors that help significantly to lift the status of the films. While there are countless acting veterans listed in the credits, apart from Feinnes, it is really only Rickman, Gambon, Maggie Smith and Helena Bonham Carter that are given a decent amount to flourish with. Matthew Lewis is another standout, giving a terrific performance incredibly noble, righteous and heroic Neville Longbottom.

I can't say enough about this film, and Ive already said way too much. Needless to say, this was a brilliant movie with epic CGI affects and one of the more fitting conclusions to any series, be it movie or TV show, that Ive ever seen. Kudos. 10/10.

Never cared for any of the movies in this series, as they grew progressively worse as the series went along. It felt like it was going the way of the Saw franchise in that sense that each movie replaced any semblance of plot or intelligent acting in favor of increasing the gore factor. But I was pleasantly surprised here. While it still had its fair share of disturbing images, the movie actually took the time to develop and flesh out some of the characters, something it had failed to do since the first one. The death scenes were impressively done in a way that while youre lead to believe that someone may die one way, I was thrown for quite a few curveballs as they were killed off in completely different ways. There was nothing special about this movie, as it does follow the similar pattern of its predecessors. But the movie isn't going for Academy Awards or Oscar Nominations, it knows what it is and doesn't stray too far from it. Going 5/10 here is a miracle as compared to the 1 or 2/10 I would have given to the past few ones.

Honestly, the 3D is the only reason why I went with a 6/10 here. The 3D version actually saves this film from average status, because the effects were that amazing. Without the 3D, I would've probably given this film a 5/10, because this Final Destination does have that "same old, same old" feeling. Usually, I try to avoid 3D films, because they never deliver. You might see one or two eye popping moments throughout the entire film, but the extra money isn't worth it in most cases. But Final Destination 5 does deliver with the 3D, because you will see a good amount of blood and body parts jump at you as you watch this film.

Final Destination 2 is still my favorite film in the series, I don't have a problem with the original, but Final Destination 4 was God awful, and I only enjoy the DVD version of Final Destination 3. The DVD features a "chose their fate" story mode, and this feature is pretty cool. You can alter the events of the film, because you can change the way characters die. Also, the chose their fate version reveals the fates of Kimberly and Thomas (characters from Final Destination 2). Final Destination 3 is a pretty mediocre film, but this DVD version does provide some extra entertainment.

The Debt (8.5/10)

Spy thrillers always have the benefit of the doubt in my mind. I’m a sucker for an old fashion espionage cat and mouse chase. “The Debt” is as much a throwback to older spy films as it is new and original. So what if it’s a weaker version of “Munich”? It’s a fun ride with romance, violence, life changing questions and all in a nicely paced 1:44 long film. It’s an explosive time.

In the 1960’s three Mossad soldiers returned from a top secret assignment. They were charged with bringing back Nazi criminal Vogel (Jesper Christensen). His crimes include switching limbs, injecting paint into the eye among other heinous deeds as his time as a concentration camp doctor. He’s been in hiding in East Germany and Israel wants to kidnap him and bring him to their country to stand trial. An accident happened and they say that they shot him dead. Is that the whole story however? Years later the truth is brought up again and what will it cost them to continue the story they’ve told.

The film is technical force. It’s sharply edited to a pulsating score. It moves around and never comes close to stale. The story is interesting enough to keep you entertained. So choose your poison, plot or style and you’ll have a winner either way. Some terrific acting from Helen Mirren, Tom Wilkinson, Ciaran Hinds, Sam Worthington, Marton Csokas and the beautiful Jessica Chastain make that whole side worth it. It’s got some deep thought to it and its pretty damn entertaining. “The Debt” is worth it.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (7.5/10)

Don’t be mistaken; this is a Guillermo Del Toro movie at its core. Just because he let fist timer Troy Nixey sit on the director’s chair doesn’t mean the style is gone. Del Toro is one of the most imaginative people making films today. He’s the master of the adult fairy tale. “Don’t Be Afraid Of The Dark” brings in Del Toro’s visual flare but it isn’t a great horror film. The trade off is fine but one can now only dream if the film had both.

Blackwood Manor is a place I wouldn’t want to live in. At first site the mind just thinks “creepy”. It’s horror movie heaven though. Sally (Bailee Madison) comes here to live with her father Alex (Guy Pearce) and his new girlfriend Kim (Katie Holmes). Since this film is a remake of a 1970’s horror story they both have a similar ground. However the lead in the 70’s version was a normal woman, not a 10-year-old girl. Having Sally be a young girl is the smarter move. She doesn’t understand yet why those creepy whispers coming from the vents shouldn’t be normal. She like Del Toro lives in an imaginary world. Sally begins talking to small creatures that stalk her around and skulk the house at night. They’re not that scary (part of that being they are shown in full form far too early) but do have a rich history. Kim believes Sally’s wild stories while Alex thinks she needs help. Rich characters make a horror film better and here is a great example of that. It’s not going to make you jump but it’s well crafted. Nice characters and acting, perfect environment and relatively fresh material make this worth the money.

Lullaby For Pi (7.5/10)

"Lullaby For Pi" is crafted with wise hands. Director Benoit Philippon has an eye for style and he's found his. His film looks like it's cut straight from the pages of an old pulp magazine or jazz album cover. The sets are golden brown and have certain intoxicating aura to them. The music of course is jazz with a hint of the blues is just velvet to the ears. Everyone smokes and drinks as if they've never left the 1940's. The movie has gloomy flare to it that some will love. I sure did so that's why when the scenes of other nature were present I lost some interest. A film doesn't need two styles of different levels.

Sam (Rupert Friend) sits in hotel room alone. He comes here to think and escape for a bit. While watching "Some Like It Hot", in comes ironically named Josephine (Sarah Wayne Callies). She has the key to his room in an odd mixup. The surprise and hostility ceases and they watch the rest of the movie together. They get married and let's flash forward about two years. Josephine has been dead for nearly a year and Sam is still taking it hard. He drinks and smokes more and has given up singing (he frequents a jazz bar). He returns to the hotel room at the beginning hoping for some sign of her. He has wild fantasies that she'll come back, call or maybe he'll realize he has to move on. Well another woman running into his room and locking herself in the bathroom was something he didn't expect. Her name is Pi (the radiant beauty known as Clemence Poesy) and she's trying to escape her boyfriend (now ex-boyfriend). Sam is calm and kind and tries to talk to her. Pi doesn't want to come out but doesn't want to be left alone. Sam returns to the hotel room several times and Pi does too. The repeat this situation as we learn more about the mysterious Pi.

What we have here is a classic and cool romance for artsy types. Not like "The Tree Of Life" or anything but those wanting romance but with the style of Mad Men. The romance is fine and so is the acting. It's just nothing we haven't seen before. Also Sam's friend William (Matt Ward) is unnecessary. Not the character itself but his own personal story. Him bringing Sam to a rap battle is too odd in a movie that had such a strong jazzy style. It's kind to the eye and mind and worth the watch in the end.

Sarah's Key (8/10)

Knowing nothing but what one TV commercial told me was how I viewed this movie. That rarely happens. I often know all the actors, read the reviews, watched all the trailers. I wouldn't say I'm spoiling the movie as more I'm interested in it. Although there as been times I've had a movie partially ruined for me because of my research (don't watch the "Dream House" trailer). "Sarah's Key" comes from a widely successful book I knew next to nothing about. This was as fascinating as it is deadly.

The plot is almost two completely separate stories with a central character. There are flashbacks of Paris in 1942 during Nazi occupation. Thousands Jewish Parisians were locked up in a sport's stadium for days under grueling conditions (they said it was 10x worse then New Orleans' Super Dome). Sarah and her family go there but not her brother. When being taken away Sarah hides her brother in a closet and takes the key. She promises to come back and must in order to save him. Well the Nazi's aren't going to let her just go. Now flash forward to the present and a journalist played marvelously by Kristen Scott Thomas is looking into the story. There is a dark connection to her husbands family and Sarah's that you'll have to find out on your own.

The flashback scenes are fantastic and done so well it makes the present day ones seem almost empty. Thomas' acting is the saving grace. I was so unfamiliar with the movie actually that I had no idea when it would end and thought it would end any minute for at least half an hour. This was irritating and I don't think it was just me. Holocaust movies are a dime a dozen but rarely will you see a bad one. This one is quite good, great even. Just nothing that will be remembered like "Schindler's List" because they are in different leagues.

The Art of Getting By (6/10)

George (Freddie Highmore) is interesting. It's not so much what he say's or does, but what he believes. George has taken the message that we'll die one day, so what's the point? So George as a senior in high school has stopped doing his work because what's the point if we're going to all die one day? I like his ideas, I've thought like that once, but George is a phony. I'll just say right now that George will start caring once he realizes he'll fail his senior year if he doesn't do his work. Did he really forget about that? A near fatherless up bringing brought up these ideas (probably with a reading or two of Catcher In The Rye). I like how he runs with his goals, but he's to quick to change his mind. George was just looking for meaning his life, his dying dreams were just that... dreams.

George begins a friendship with a popular girl, Sally (Emma Roberts). The two are mismatch in the unfortunate way. Meaning they don't suit each to such an extreme that there's no cute opposite idea to them. The two run around NYC having fun, drinking (which I guess is easy because they order beer like it's nothing) and getting into trouble. So I'd say this movie's theme is finding something worth living for. It's a descent theme but it's been done better before. The film is pleasant in part to a short running time (83 minutes) so there's that. I'd hate for George to meet Nicholas Cage's character in "Bringing Out The Dead" though. Cage would smash his face in for being so focused on dying but not doing anything about it.

Contagion (7.5/10)

"Contagion" is fantastically made, one of the years best in that affect. That's really it though. The story while making sense never sucks you in and before you know it, the movies over. You'll leave, wash your hands better for three days or so and let the movie slip from your memory. It's a shame because what it does well is ingenious.

"Contagion" is the story of a virus. The illness appears seemingly from nowhere. In a few days you'll die (well 1/4 of the time). The film opens on a rather sickly looking Gwyneth Paltrow eating from a bowl of airport peanuts. Everything she touches and soon late carries touch is treated with a longing eye. The camera focuses on it or at least the human eye will. It's a terrifying thought that you may die from just touching a door handle. Soon a global pandemic begins and chaos happens in a controlled sense. Doctors and scientists race for a cure. Specialists look for where the virus came from. a blogger (Jude Law) looks to blame the government and thinks they are responsible. Then regular citizens try to deal with something they aren't prepared for. There is a impressive cast here that if I mentioned every name here I know, It'd be a while. So let's just say Matt Damon, Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet, Laurence Fishburne, John Hawkes and Bryan Cranston also play roles in this massive scale movie. That's part of the film's strength, it does really feel like a global pandemic. What sucks is that you'll leave rather unaffected (despite a stellar finale). The characters aren't well measured enough to get you truly to care other than the fact you've seen them in other movies. No connection and fantastic production values make this a very good, but not fantastic film.

Drive (10/10)

Call up your friends, send out a mass text and jump in the car and go see "Drive" because this is one of the best movies of the year. Remember to buckle your seat belts because this movie is revved up and ready to go full speed to a dazzling finish. It's a ride unlike any other. It's completely original and yet a throwback to a dozen other films at the same time. You can watch movies for years and never see one this good. It's built up with such precision that like our hero there is a fine line between machine and hero. This is the movie to love.

The film revolves around Driver. He has no name as any good existentialist would. Instead he's named for what he does best, drive. Perhaps he could be called Lover or Killer as the film progresses but more on that later. Driver is played by Ryan Gosling in a performance unlike anything he's done before. He's mesmerizing and fits the role perfectly. Driver is a skilled and quiet man. Sound familiar? He's a Blondie for a new generation. Just replace horse for car and gun for... well a lot of weapons. Gosling let's his eyes do the talking and they sure can do that. True emotion comes through in a simple expressions in unbelievable ways, Thank you Gosling! Anton Chigurh watch your back because Driver is ready to make an impact on the world.

Driver is a stuntman/mechanic at day and a getaway pro at night. You rob the place and he'll get you to safety. He's got the speech he tells these robbers memorized down to the smallest detail. This isn't like some stupid trashy "Transporter" shit where it's all about making it look cooler than to actually make sense. The film opens with such a marvelous chase. Driver outsmarts the cops in the most brilliant ways. Hiding in the shadows, knowing his overpasses and using a large crowd are just some of the tricks I'm sure he has up his sleeve. All of this to pulsating score and you have a WOW of a beginning. Speaking of music, they couldn't have done a better job. Each song in the film fits so perfectly there were a few times I was speechless over it.

Driver has a cute neighbor Irene (Carey Mulligan). With a kind face and short blond hair tied back with little berates it's no wonder why Driver falls for her. They make cute in simple but moving scenes. Driver isn't a smooth talker, he's speaks when he feels like it. Some may say something is wrong with him for being so quiet but to them I say your just poisoned by the cool guy boring hero. Ever watch an old Clint Eastwood movie? He speaks when he has too and isn't there to make idle chit chat. What Driver feels is apparent in his eyes. Irene's husband Standard (Oscar Isaac) is released from jail not long after the two become close. He's a good man at heart but Irene still seems him as a man who's done wrong. Standard owes some money to heinous people who'd have no problem hurting Irene and her child. Driver looks to help but like all movies, things won't go smoothly.

"Drive" starts off as one movie and ends another. The earlier half is dedicated to building characters wisely as it should. The second is a holds no barred thrill ride that knocks the audience around. "Drive" is a throwback to many movies while maintaing it's originality. It's got the 80's vibe with an unusual but wicked supporting cast and a pop soundtrack. It's similar to films like "Le Samourai" and "The American" where the hero has a dark and empty past that sets the mood of the film. There's work here inspired by "Bullit" and "To Live and Die in LA". I could go on and on and each time I felt the impression of these other films was thrilling.

The supporting cast is something to boast about here. Those I mentioned are fantastic but that's not all in the bag of goodies. Christina Hendricks of Mad Man has a small but all too great cameo. Bryan Cranston shows why he's true asset to his field as the mechanic that supplies Driver his cars. Ron Perlmen plays a dastardly gangster running his business out his pizzeria. So many talented TV actors here. However I've saved the best for last. Ladies and gentlemen I'd like to introduce you to what should be best supporting actor nominee Albert Brooks. Brooks is playing against his typecast to such an extreme that every second on screen is a devilish delight. Brooks is known for playing good men (he did the voice of Marlin in "Finding Nemo") but he he is a bloodthirsty gangster. The things he'll do with a knife will drive a chill down your spine. Something I found hilarious was Brooks' character once made B films in the 80's. There was a lot of violence in them and one critic even called them "european". Are they trying to reference their own movie? Either way Brooks gives a tour de force of sheer intensity that should not be ignored during Oscar season.

I'd like to take a minute to point out the talented work by cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel. His use of light and filters deserves all the praise I can give it. What I would like to say something about is the scope of his shots. His depth of focus is so well created that some scenes become beautiful in the simplest ways. There's a shot of Driver and you can see his reflection in a car window. You can see everything around him in decent detail except for Driver. He is black, I like to think this is referencing his past. Another scene is when Standard returns home. They throw a party and as he gives a little speech there's a picture in the background. He's talking about what he did hurt his family and the picture is a house with a crack going throw it. How smart is that? There must be at least ten scenes like this but maybe you should discover the delight of finding some on your own.

When "Drive" turns into a revenge driven thriller at the end it never losses it's art house roots. It's the perfect blend of artsy and action. Something you don't see often. There's a scene in a elevator that I think can be broken down in such ways that film classes should be analyzing it in the future. Driver, Irene and a stranger stand in a elevator. Driver sees the gun in the man's coat and knows he's there to hurt him and maybe her. Driver takes her aside and gives her a passionate kiss and then turns his attention to smashing in the man's head. The film has shifted in this scene so much from a man trying to escape his situation to a pure grade A revenge film. Driver also is showing to Irene that this is the way things need to be. One last pure innocent moment before he must do the horrible thing that needs to be done. it's a perfect scene for a perfect movie.

Nicholas Winding Refn has done some beautiful things here. It's phenomenal work that deserves attention. He won best director at the Cannes Film Festival which is very prestigious. I can see why. "Drive" is a tremendous film on all fronts that never loses it's steam. Paced fantastically from beginning to end. This is a movie that needs to be seen. It's a cult classic in the making. Years from now I'm going to be looking kindly on "Drive" and I know I won't be alone.

Bellflower (9/10)

Lord Humongous is going to reach his mighty hands beyond the mere mortal screen, dominate you and you'll be begging for more. "Bellflower" is a riveting experience of such vivid and intriguing visuals that the brain screams in a painful lust. A film cooked up in a mad laboratory to fulfill the needs of the creaters. It's a dazzling debut and just a great film in general. Prepare for domination.

There is a brief 30 second series of images that start this film off with a gigantic bang. Several key scenes play backwards until we wind up at the beginning. It's over before you know it but you won't be forgetting it anytime soon. Two friends Woodrow and Aiden have big dreams. As kids they sat glued to the television as Mad Max ran rampart in a post apocalyptic world. The two want a similar experience. So they set out to build weapons and war mobiles in wild hopes that such a future comes to pass. The call their gang "Mother Medusa" (along with coming up with wasteland names aka Lord Humongous) and they begin preparations. I want to say that all the things they build are 100% genuine. A real flamethrower and car that shoots out smokescreen were built for this film. The two friends shoot a propane tank in a experiment and it cause quite the sight. If you told me that was their first test while filming, I'd believe it.

One night Woodrow and Aiden go out drinking and everything changes. Woodrow unwillingly enters a cricket eating contest (they're actually healthy for you) against stranger Milly. Aiden looks at her with a small glance that says perhaps this girl is very special. The two go on a wild date the next day and when he asks her to be his girlfriend she says"I'll hurt you". There will be pay and joy to come for sure. Woodrow, Aiden, Milly, and her friend Courtney are stepping into a strange new world.

The film has a style all it's own and it sure is engaging. It's loud, bright, fresh and all around fun. It also has the substance to get your personal investment involved. What's funny is that this is a mumble core movie at heart. It's an upcoming genre that is to much to explain in a few sentences so I suggest looking it up. While Mumble core at it's center, "Bellflower" trades off the usual comedy seen in the genre and introduces pain. Yes this movie will sting you like a angry hornet. You won't see a movie like this anywhere else. Which is all the more reason to see it now.

Attack The Block (9/10)

Add this to the movies I plan on showing my kids (well when they're a bit older) because this one is a running riot. I'd imagine directors such as Abrams, Spielberg and Tarantino are going to watch this and be cheering until their lungs hurt. It's sci-fi heaven with comedy and action to boot. Go out of your way to watch this one because it really is a blast of excitement.

"Attack The Block" takes place in South London. The location is important because it's the equivalent to South Providence to me. Chances are walking alone at night your going to get mugged or worse. Sam (Jodie Whittaker) happens to fall into this problem. She's mugged by five young hoodlums and are rudely interrupted by an object falling from the sky. Well this object so happens to be an alien and it's only the first of many. So now our five gangbangers, Sam, some weed dealers, two young whippersnappers and a scarred/stoned white boy are going to have to fight off an alien invasion or die trying. Watch out for John Boyega who played Moses, the leader of the five muggers. It's a potential breakthrough performance (meaning I hope he makes it big), he's got the makings of a young Denzel Washington.

There is so much fun in to be had in this movie I don't know how to explain it all. In fact I don't want to, you should see it for yourself. Watching kids fight aliens with bottle rockets and a katana is thrilling. It's fast paced and evolving so by the end it'd have grown a little in heart. As soon it was finished I wanted to watch it again.

Contagion (2011) 8/10- Contagion provides a good amount of suspense and the tension in this film is unbelievable. I really did feel the horrific nature of the situation, as the deadly virus spread throughout the world. There is a good amount of terror in this film, and some characters would do anything for survival. Their backs were against the wall, and some characters would go to the extreme for a cure or safety. The all-star cast really delivers here, because the acting in this film is great, and the excellent performances from Matt Damon and Jude Law are the highlights of the acting department. And Contagion does feature a nice amount of drama. Mitch (Damon) is trying to cope with the shocking and tragic deaths of loved ones. Also, he must keep his arrogant and somewhat rebellious daughter safe. Dr. Orantes (Marion Cotillard) wants to help a small village in Hong Kong, but the desperate villagers see her as a ticket for a cure. Orantes wants to help the villagers, but at the same time, she needs to learn more about the source of the disease. She has an obligation to her government. Alan Krumwiede (Jude Law) sounds like the righteous rebel, who wants to expose the conspiracy behind the disease, but is he a voice for the people, or does he have his own personal agenda? This film features characters who you can care about. Everyone is emotionally invested in the dire situation, and each character’s struggle is unique in its own way. I was tempted to go with a ten here, because I did love this film, but for me Contagion didn’t reach that epic level. Still, Contagion is high up on my list of favorites for 2011, and this film did provide a great experience.

Seven Days In Utopia (2011) 6/10- I can’t believe it. I actually liked a Lucas Black film. Usually, I can’t stand Black, because he is a terrible actor most of the time, but he really surprised me. This wasn’t an Oscar worthy performance from Black, but he was pretty solid here, and having Robert Duvall at a your side doesn’t hurt. Seven Days In Utopia does feature some good drama, and the acting in this film is solid. This one does feel too sappy at times, but I still enjoyed the story. Luke (Black) is an and upcoming pro golfer with tons of potential. He has a major meltdown on the course one day, and the relationship with his overbearing and pushy father begins to fall apart. Luke had to clear his mind and regain his confidence, so he decided to take a seven day break in the quiet little town of Utopia, Texas. Black is mentored by Johnny (Duvall), and the wise old man helps Luke get back on his feet. Seven Days In Utopia can feel boring at times, but I wanted to root for Luke. I wanted him to regain his confidence, and I enjoyed the internal struggle he endured. Luke was put to the test during a unique series of training sessions, and he had to adjust to a new lifestyle. Also, Seven Days In Utopia does feature some clever editing. They show the struggles Luke has with his father throughout his life in a series of flashbacks. Luke’s dad pushed him hard. He wanted him to be the best, but Luke’s dad could be very strict and controlling. Then, the storyline would return to the present, and the audience is able to see Luke’s struggles, as he tries to find himself. This combination of footage was a nice touch, and I wanted to feel for Black’s character, because you actually get to see what he went through as a kid and young adult. I enjoyed Utopia, but the very end of the film pissed me off……
At the very end of the film, Luke returns from Utopia. He forgives his father, and Luke enters another big tournament. Luke goes head to head with one of the best pros in the sport, and the tension builds, as the two golfers approach the final hole. Luke is about take the swing that could provide the moment of redemption the audience has been waiting for, but instead we hear a narration from Robert Duvall? Oh, and they don’t even show the potential big moment. Instead, a message pops up on the screen, and the audience is told to go to www.didhemaketheputt.com??? That’s right. If you want to know what really happened, you have to go to the website (or read the book first). Well, I already sat through the movie, and I was curious, so I watched the video. Man was I disappointed. They show a video that’s over seven minutes, and in this video, they show the author of Golf’s Sacred Journey: Seven Days At The Links Of Utopia (the film is based on this book). The author reads from the book, and he tries to convince the audience to become more involved in Utopia. He wants you to feel the full experience, and he thinks Utopia (the film and the book) should become apart of your life. Umm, yeah, I had to call bullshit on this entire video. This was just a way to plug the author’s book, and they actually post the link to an online store, where you can buy Utopia merchandise (the book, golf balls, caps, etc.). I took this is a slap in the face, and I can’t believe they got away with this. Find another way to plug the book and other Utopia merchandise. They actually build some nice suspense towards the end, but they ruined everything with the “go to the website and see how it ends!” stuff. They just wanted to sell some more books and other pieces of merchandise, but they tried to pass it off as an “experience.” Unbelievable.

Shark Night 3D (2011) 5/10-
I expected to see a lot more blood and gore, but the violence in this film did have a softcore PG-13 feeling. Sure, they do show some gory moments here. A man loses his arm (but they didn‘t show the actual attack, so the audience has to assume a shark was responsible), and a woman is a eaten by a group of cookiecutter sharks, but this was a RATED R film, so I was expecting some more intense violence and gore. The majority of the kills just show a lot of blood filled waters, as the sharks attack and kill their victims, and this does become very redundant and dull after a while. And yes, this film does feature it’s fair share of stupid characters. Although, the acting was decent enough, this film does feature some nice suspense, the 3D effects are solid, and there are a few twists and turns here. Shark Night 3D is one of those films where you have to lower your expectations for anything that is high quality. If you’re expecting a sensible plot and smart characters, then you will be disappointed, and you will hate this film. Shark Night 3D is mindless fun, and this can be an entertaining B-Movie.

30 Minutes Or Less (2011) 4/10-
I actually had high hopes for this film, but for me, 30 Minutes Or Less was a huge disappointment. The entire cast does provide a few good laughs every now and then, and Jesse Eisenberg does a fine job with the lead role, but I had hard time getting into this. First of all, the bad guys are way too comical here. Micahel Pena is supposed to be this bad ass hitman, but I couldn’t believe his character. Pena looks like a fool here, and his character was pretty goofy most of the time. Dwayne (Danny McBride) was supposed to be the lazy and spoiled son, who wanted to put a hit out on his father, but his character was too likeable most of the time. Yeah, I know, Dwayne wanted to clip his own father, so I should believe him as a horrible person, right? Well, McBride plays the role of the delusional loser who wants to live the fast life, and I just didn’t want to dislike his character in this film. He was the carefree slacker, who had big dreams. I know this is a comedy, and I might sound kind of picky here, but I shouldn’t have strong positive feelings towards one of the bad guys in any type of film. Nick Swardson and Aziz Ansari did a fine job with the sidekick roles, and 30 Minutes Or Less does have its moments. But this one slowly goes though the motions, and the monotonous predictably almost gave me a headache. Jesse Eisenberg and Danny McBride are two of my favorites, but they can do better than this.

Colombiana (2011) 5/10-
Colombiana is entertaining enough, and this film does feature some thrilling action scenes. Zoe Saldana does a good job with the lead role. Cataleya (Saldana) is the fearless and beautiful assassin, who is hell bent on revenge. This character does provide a good amount of excitement, and Saldana does a good job of showing emotion in this film, because there are a few scenes, where Saldana grieves for her parents. These moments felt sad, and I wanted to feel for her character. Also, they really took advantage of Saldana’s sex appeal here, because her good looks are showcased throughout this film. Colombiana is VERY predictable. This entire film just goes through the motions, and you can see the ending coming from a mile away. Still, Colombiana did enough to entertain me. The acting is decent, and the Cataleya character is someone who you can root for, because I wanted her to succeed in her quest of vengeance. Colombiana features its fair share of cheesy moments, but this was an enjoyable popcorn flick.

One Day (2011) 6/10-
Ugh, this film had so much potential. One Day could’ve easily hit the 10/10 mark, but this film was a disappointment. Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess deliver some very good performances, and they did a fine job with the lead roles in this film. One Day features a very emotional and dramatic love story, and this film does have a tragic and heartbreaking ending. Everything sounds good, so I guess you’re wondering why I was so disappointed by this. The method of storytelling for this film does feel unique at first, but this method of storytelling does hurt this film as time progresses……
Emma (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter (Jim Sturgess) first meet each other in the late 1980’s. This film shows the ups and downs of their relationship over the years, and their relationship is chronicled by calendar years throughout the entire film. They constantly remind us of July 15th (the day Emma and Dexter first meet each other) and this can feel VERY tiresome after a while. Every year from late 1980’s to 2011 is showcased, and these dates constantly pop up on the screen. This would’ve been okay if it was done on a limited basis, but they really over did it here. We get it. The storyline is progressing, and Emma and Dexter’s relationship suffers many struggles as they become adults, and July 15th is a special day, because Emma and Dexter first meet each other on this day. You don’t need to remind the audience of this in every other scene. Again, the storytelling method for this film feels unique at first, but this can become highly annoying after awhile, and this film’s greatest strength is also its greatest weakness.

Also, Hathaway and Sturgess really carried this film, because the bulk of the acting was pretty weak. Overall, I didn’t think this was a bad film, but One Day could have been so much better.

The Guard (2011) 8/10- Brendan Gleeson (Sergeant Boyle) really was the star here, because he did deliver an excellent performance in this film. Gleeson’s character had this vulgar sense of humor and he was witty. Gleeson and Don Cheadle (Wendell Everett) had some great chemistry in this film. Cheadle’s character was the serious and straightforward FBI agent, who wanted to solve the crime, and Gleeson was the carefree Average Joe. Cheadle and Gleeson were very entertaining as the odd couple, and the constant bickering between these two was fun to watch. This film does provide a good amount of laughs, and this was a very entertaining black comedy, but The Guard does feature some sad moments……

Sergeant Boyle’s mother is dying of a terminal illness, and she doesn’t have much time left. Gleeson begins to bond with his dying mother, and during these moments, you really get to see the sensitive caring side of Gleeson’s character. For the majority of this film, the Boyle character is pretty rough. He likes to curse a lot, and he can be a rebel. He’s a man’s man. But I saw the softer side of Gleeson’s character, as he spent time with his ill mother, and Gleeson did a great job with this personality, because I really wanted to feel for him.

I enjoyed The Guard, but this film can feel dull at times, and this one slowly goes through the motions. The rest of acting is pretty solid here, but when it comes to the acting, Gleeson and Cheadle really carried this film, because none of the other performances stood out.

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (2011) 6/10-
This was a pretty entertaining summer blockbuster. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes features some good action, the special effects looked great, the final battle scene is pretty intense, the majority of the acting is solid, and Andy Serkis really delivered as Caesar. Yeah, I know, the CGI and the performance capture technology deserve a lot of credit, but Serkis did put a lot of emotion into this character, and he was very believable as the wise and strong leader. Serkis’ movements looked so realistic in this film, and he really did bring life to the Caesar character. James Franco wasn’t bad at all, but the Caesar character steals the show here. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was a real surprise for me, and I would like to see a new series of films.

George A. Romero’s Diary Of The Dead (2007) 4/10- A bunch of film students are shooting a horror film in the woods, but their little movie project is put on hold, as they learn of the deadly situation that has destroyed everything. The gang stumbles into a zombie outbreak, and the fight for survival begins. I really wanted to like this film, because I usually enjoy zombie flicks, but Diary Of The Dead was a huge disappointment for me. This film can be SO boring most of the time. The acting is pretty mediocre, and this film does feature some very stupid characters, and when it comes to stupidity, Jason has no equal. Jason Creed (Joshua Close) plays the cameraman who is obsessed with documenting every minute of the zombie apocalypse. He isn’t too bright, and one of his mistakes almost caused the death of another member of the group. Stupid characters in horror films always annoy me, and the stupidity in this film was off the charts. Diary Of The Dead does feature some graphic gore and violence, and there are a few spook moments here, but this film just drags along most of the time, and I couldn’t wait for this one to be over. Although, the final moments of this film caught my attention…..
At the very end of the film, Debra (Michelle Morgan) decides to take a look at Jason’s video camera. Jason downloaded some footage of a group of hunters. A group of hunters were shooting a bunch of already dead zombies for fun, and this footage bothered Debra. After watching this, Debra wondered if the human race was worth saving, because she couldn’t believe how cruel and heartless some people could be. I enjoyed this scene, because Debra’s question makes you think about the zombie apocalypse. Do some of us deserve to live? Is it time to start over? Debra’s point of view raises a lot of questions, and I just wish this could’ve happened earlier in the film, because there could’ve been a intriguing debate between the characters.

Diary Of The Dead isn’t awful, but this film just drags most of the time, and there are way too many dull moments here.

Shivers/The Parasite Murders/ They Came From Within (1975) 2/10-
Boring and weird. These are the two words I would use to describe this film. Shivers does feature it’s fair share of gross-out moments, and this film can be very disgusting and creepy at times, but I couldn’t get into the story here. If the evil parasites transformed their victims into murderous killers, then I probably could’ve taken this more seriously. But the parasites in this film transform their victims into aggressive and angry sex fiends??? This entire film was so ridiculous, and I couldn’t buy into the story. I would’ve enjoyed this film as a comedy, because the story is laughable, but Shivers tries to take itself too seriously, and it didn’t work for me. Also, I didn’t care for any of the characters, because their personalities were so lifeless and dull. This film does feature a few attractive women, but the eye candy wasn’t enough. Shivers doesn’t provide too many spook moments, I couldn’t feel the tension here, and this film just drags along the entire time. The parasite attacks are pretty gruesome, but this film couldn’t hold my attention, because I almost fell asleep as I was watching this one, and yeah, the series of attempted rapes lose their shock value after a while. Seriously, what’s going to happen when the parasites infect the mass majority of the population? Why should the thought of some bizarre super orgy/rape fest frighten me??? Shivers has received it’s fair share of favorable reviews, but I can’t understand the love for this film. I thought Shivers was pretty awful, and I wish I could erase this film from my memory.

Balls Of Fury (2007) 1/10-
Dan Fogler isn’t funny. He is very, very annoying, but not funny, and he was a terrible choice for the lead role in this film. And George Lopez makes everything worse. He really drags this film deep into the shitter. Lopez ALWAYS tries too hard, his humor sucks, and he is an untalented and unfunny hack. Lopez has always been awful, and I don’t know why some people still feel the need to hire this man. I wanted to throw a brick through my TV, as Lopez forced his horrendous Scarface impersonations throughout the film. Seriously, Lopez’s name should’ve been on the blacklist a long time ago. Anyway, Balls Of Fury isn’t funny, and the lowbrow humor quickly loses it’s spark as the film progresses. This story isn’t ridiculously funny, it’s ridiculously stupid, and some of the testicle jokes are painful to listen to, and they do provide some facepalming moments. Maggie Q’s character is out of place here, as she plays the fierce and strong ping-pong trainer/expert. Her appearances on screen always feel awkward, because she doesn’t fit in with the group bizarre characters. Also, I was disappointed by Christopher Walken. Walken’s performance wasn’t bad at all. In fact, his performance is lone highlight in this film (Walken is the main reason why I didn‘t go with a zero here). But Walken has been very streaky, when it comes to quality, and this is another stinker on his track record. It’s kind of sad, because Walken is talented, but he does choose some really bad films every now and then. This is supposed to be a comedy, but I couldn’t laugh. I tried, I really did, but the humor in this film was awful. I’ve always wondered what a truly disastrous film would look like. Unfortunately, I think I found an example with Balls Of Fury, because George Lopez and Dan Fogler are a horrific duo, and they shouldn’t team up again.

Candyman (1992) 8/10-
Yeah, this was one of those films that scared the shit of me, when I was kid. I couldn’t stand to watch Candyman as a little kid, but this film did grow on me in my teenage years. This film features a spooky ghost story, and they do a wonderful job of building up Candyman as this evil and dark legend. Tony Todd is genuinely creepy as Candyman, and he has become one of the more popular horror personalities over the years. The acting in this film is decent enough, and Candyman does feature some chilling moments. Also, Candyman presents the gore factor in a unique way. You will see a good amount of blood here, but Candyman can frighten you with thoughts of gruesomeness and violence, because the aftermath of the deaths in this film look horrific and disgusting. This film does feature a few jump scares, and I always want to feel for the Helen character (Virginia Madsen). She’s the innocent woman who wants to lend a helping hand, but she has to endure the resentment from the locals at a housing project, she is stalked by Candyman, and everyone turns their back on her, when she begins to blame the killings and disappearances on the urban legend. Helen’s husband (Trevor) tries to forget about her, and he finds a new woman. This was a crucial development in the storyline, because Helen is all alone after this, and she can’t trust anyone. Candyman should be a treat for all horror fans, and this film does give Tony Todd something to brag about. Usually, I always think of Todd as that weird guy, who makes brief appearances in some of the Final Destination films, but he will be remembered and recognized for the Candyman character.

Red State (2011) 7/10- This was a tough rating for me, but I decided to go with a very favorable score here. I really enjoyed Red State, and this film can be genuinely shocking, emotional, and disturbing. The entire cast pulls together a great collective effort, because this film does feature some high quality acting. John Goodman, Melissa Leo, and Michael Parks delivered some excellent performances, and the acting from the rest of the cast was very solid.

Although, Red State can feel like a jumbled mess most of the time. At first, we see a group of young men (Michael Angarano, Kyle Gallner, Nicholas Braun), who want to have a night of fun. Everything seems fine at first, but the wild night takes a turn for the worst, when the group of young teenagers are drugged and kidnapped. Sarah Cooper (Melissa Leo) helped spring the trap, and the teens are held hostage by a group of church members. The teens are forced to listen to a lengthy and hate filled sermon that is targeted at homosexuals. Abin Cooper (Michael Parks) is the man delivering the sermon, and he is the leader of the church. The situation becomes more serious, when Cooper leads a brutal and viscous execution of a captured homosexual, who he wanted to make an example of. The teens are up next on the chopping block, but the sudden interruption of a deputy stops everything. The teens try to escape, and all hell breaks lose. An ATF agent (John Goodman) arrives on the scene, and he sets up a team of armed men outside the church. Eventually, a violent and lengthy shootout erupts between the group of armed men and the church members, and there were a lot of gruesome and shocking deaths during this chaotic showdown.

Red State can feel confusing sometimes. At times, it felt like I was watching a drama, but this film feels like a suspense/thriller, when the violent and brutal shootout erupts. And Red State can feel like a horror flick, because this film does feature some terrifying moments, and there is a good amount of gore here. Is Red State supposed to be a suspense/thriller? Is this a horror film? Or is this a drama? I can understand some of the harsh criticisms, because Red State can feel like a convoluted mess most of the time, and this film‘s identity can be very unclear.

Still, I enjoyed Red State, because this film did get a rise out of me, and there were times, where I felt legit anger. I was hooked into this film from beginning to end, and Red State is full of surprises, because you never know what’s going to happen next. Red State will probably piss off a lot of people, but this film did take me on an emotional roller coaster, and the final moments of this film did feature plenty of shocking and speechless moments.

Kevin Smith deserves a lot of credit. He stepped outside of his comfort zone here (because we usually see a lot of dialogue filled comedies from Smith). Smith took a chance, and I do respect him for it. Also, I don’t know If I would call Red State a failed experiment. Smith decided to go with a touchy and controversial subject here, and some people will take this film as an insult. Everyone isn’t going to fall in love with this film, but Smith showed a lot of guts, and this was a bold choice.

I got three for ya:

Tangled (2010)

So, the movie is Disney's adaption of the Brothers Grimm Rapunzel. For those who don't know the story: Isolated girl with long hair falls in love; overprotective mother goes batshit; yadda yadda. Difference being that her hair is magical and she has a chameleon sidekick. Okay, so I am selling the story short, but I think most people know the story. haha It seemed like they would've done one a while ago, but I digress. It is also one of the few Disney movies that have 'well known' Hollywood talent in it. Mandy Moore and Ron Pearlman are notables.

I don't want to fault a movie for chosen the wrong cinematographic method, but I really think this movie would've been better in hand drawn animation. The pacing, music, and characters are ALL Disney characters to an fn tee. But it just didn't feel like a Disney movie while watching it. Despite my huge gripe, I felt the ending with Mother Gothel was fantastic. I also thought the music was catchy as heck as well.

I am sure a lot of you will probably skip on the movie, but if you have a daughter or niece, give it a shot. It is a lot of fun.

The Gunfighter (1950)

For those of you who never watched a western, there are two types: action-packed and drama filled. Gregory Peck played in many of both kinds. This was mos def a drama filled one.

Peck plays Jimmy Ringo, a notorious gunfighter with a hefty bounty on his head. Fun fact: Jimmy Ringo was a real notorious gunfighter, but this isn't an autobiography. The first major happening in the movie happens about 5 minutes into it. It turns out Ringo just wanted to see his wife and his son he never knew about. The town he is in makes a big deal of his stay in the town, but the sheriff tries hard keep things under control.

And since this is a drama filled western, you just need to shut the fuck up or you won't get the essence of the movie. I thought it was some compelling stuff, but it probably won't be for everyone.

I ain't telling the ending ;)

Moby Dick (1956)

This is my favorite movie at the moment. It stars Gregory Peck as the legendary Captain Ahab. For those who don't know the story, Capt Ahab seeks vengeance on The Great White Whale Moby Dick. Peck as Ahab is hauntingly convincing. I dare anyone to watch this movie and see if you don't want to go whaling. haha

Much like The Gunfighter, this is a movie is mostly dialog based. A lot of the language may get annoying. But I used beckon at least once a day thanks to this movie. The beginning might start a little slow, but after all of the characters who have importance and/or a name are introduced, Ahab's charisma and loyality from the crew keeps everything together.

More CSB: I compared Ahab to Wade Barrett as leader of the Nexus on Twitter. Wahab!! :)

Creature (2011) 0/10- One of the worst films I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Creature is a total shitfest, and I couldn’t stop facepalming as I watched this one. First of all, the origins of the Creature are so unbelievably ridiculous and stupid. Grimley (Daniel Bernhardt) goes nuts after he loses the love of his life. Grimley is actually related to this VERY young woman, and they were about to tie the knot (yeah, it’s actually more creepy and disgusting than you think), but his sister is eaten by some large and monstrous white alligator. Grimley seeks revenge, and he eventually kills the deadly alligator during a very unbelievable and laughable battle. Grimley begins to eat the alligator, but he also eats other human body parts, which include his sister! This gross act of cannibalism transforms him into the deadly Creature (or Lockjaw), and Grimley becomes a terrorizing killing machine over time. Umm, yeah, I thought this was stupid. How can cannibalism help a normal man transform into a supernatural being??? As far as I know, the big white alligator wasn’t a supernatural being (because they never gave any hints or clues that would suggest this), and the rest of the body parts came from normal people. The Creature in this film looks like a joke. It isn’t intimidating or scary, and his cartoonish movements made everything worse. This monster was supposed to inspire fear. It was supposed to be scary, but I spent most of my time laughing at the monster.

Also, they should change the name of this film to “The Land Of The Gaping Plot Holes.” Creature leaves so many unanswered questions, and they don’t explain a lot of major details here. There seems to be some kind of connection between the creepy locals and the deadly monster, but everything is so unclear. At first, I thought Chopper (the owner of a convenience store) was controlling the Creature, but he never has any sort of interaction with the monster. This is just one of the major flaws in this film, but Creature creates more mind boggling questions as time progresses….
Why did Chopper (Sid Haig) want to sacrifice his own daughter? He cuts off her foot (Karen dies shortly after this), but why did he do this? It seemed as if they would use the foot for some kind of ritual, but they didn’t. Karen dies, and the foot is never mentioned again. Also, they NEVER explain the reasons for the sacrifices in this film. Are the human sacrifices supposed to please God or the Creature? Chopper mentions God, but the victims are for the Creature?!?!

Is the tribal necklace supposed to mean something? At the beginning of the film, a woman is shown wearing a tribal necklace. She loses this necklace after a fatal attack from the big white alligator. Chopper eventually gains possession of the necklace later on in the film, but what’s the importance of it? For all I know, it’s just a fancy tribal style necklace, but this necklace is shown during Karen’s mutilation, and the necklace is showcased as an important tool for the sacrifices, so you would think this necklace has some sort of value.

Oh, Karen’s mother is referenced in this film. I guess she had some sort of past connection with the Creature, but this is another major detail that they don’t bother explaining.
And I hated the majority of the characters here, because they are incredibly stupid…. Hey, lets trust some of the creepy locals who obviously hate us! They might be luring us into a trap, and we probably know this, but who cares! Let’s postpone our road trip to New Orleans, because visiting an old and rundown tourist trap would be more fun! This tourist trap is in the middle of nowhere and the venue is completely secluded, but it should be a fun adventure! Ugh. Also, some of the characters can be major hypocrites. Beth (Amanda Fuller) and Randy (Aaron Hill) are a couple, and Randy contemplates smoking a joint during a friendly night around the campfire. But Beth steps in, and she condemns Randy for his thoughts of drug use. Randy doesn’t smoke the weed, but it’s okay for Beth to get drunk and almost have sex with Karen? Right. And I didn’t know Superman joined the cast…

MV5BMTc3NTE0NzIzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDgzNzQ2Mg@@._V1._SY314_CR11,0,214,314_.jpg

This fucker is pretty much invincible throughout the entire film, but he is a normal human being. Yeah, Mehcad Brooks’ character is an ex Navy Seal, but he is still a normal man who is made of flesh, blood, and bones. Niles (Mehcad Brooks) is shot in the leg with a FUCKING SHOTGUN, but he is able to run around and fight off the bad guys with no problem? He never shows any signs of this serious injury, and I just couldn’t believe this. Niles gets his ass kicked during the final battle with the Creature, and you can actually hear his bones break, he coughs up a lot of blood, but he withstands the punishment, and he is able to make a fighting comeback?

And I can’t forget about the VERY creepy and weird relationship between Oscar (Dillon Casey) and Karen (Lauren Schneider). Oscar and Karen are siblings, and they helped lure the cast into the deadly trap that was set by their father, Chopper. Well, Karen and Oscar obviously like each other…I mean they REALLY like each other, and this film does feature a scene that involves plenty of intense physical contact. I can’t go into details, but I will say this, they almost went all the way with these two, because they do tease an incest sex scene here.

I thought the final battle would provide some redeemable qualities, but I was wrong again.

The Man Of Steel (Niles) endures the viscous beat down from the Creature, and the monster is sucked into the muddy swamp below, but the Creature won’t disappear into the muddy swamps alone. He decides to take Nile’s girlfriend with him. Niles chases after the love of his life, and he does kill the Creature….BUT THEY DON’T SHOW THE ACTUAL BATTLE??? That’s right. They don’t show the Creature’s demise. The audience sees Niles and Emily (Niles’ girlfriend) make their escape, but how did it happen? Did Niles defeat the Creature alone? Did Emily help? What killed the Creature? This was another major letdown, and they really dropped the ball here. Oh, and after taking an ass whooping from the Creature, Niles doesn’t show any signs off the brutal beating, but he’s Superman, so I guess he didn’t feel anything. Also, the final battle didn’t make a lot of sense in the first place. The Creature has so many advantages over Niles. Super strength, size, speed, and well, he is a monster. The Creature could tear him apart so easily, but the deadly monster decides to fight Niles in a slugfest? For some asinine reason, the Creature decides to trade punches with Niles during the final showdown, and Niles is able to make a comeback. The Creature could’ve literally tore him apart, but he wants to have a good old fashioned man to man fight?

The final battle was awful, but the grand finale was far worse….
So Emily (Serinda Swan) and Niles escape from the Creature, they drive away from the horrible swamp…..but what happened to Beth? Earlier in the film, Beth accidentally stumbles into the Creature’s lair, she screams, and it looks like the Creature is about to attack her. But they don’t show anything (yeah, I know, what a surprise), and Amanda Fuller’s character disappears from the film after this. Fast forward to the very end, and we see Beth inside Chopper’s convenience store. She has this lost look on her face, and she’s holding a baby??? Chopper praises her as a mother, and this piece of shit film finally ends. What happened in the Creature’s lair? Was Beth raped? Did she have consensual sex with the Creature? Why does the baby look 100% human? Beth’s baby looks like a normal human baby, but this baby shouldn’t look normal, if something happened with the Creature. And if nothing physical happened with the Creature, who did Beth have sex with? How did she become pregnant? This cliffhanger was another huge part of the story, and of course, they don’t explain or show anything.

Oh, and this quiet little convenience store instantly becomes prosperous after the Creature‘s demise. Plenty of tourists and travelers show up at Chopper’s convenience store, they’re spending money, and they are enjoying themselves. Why is this happening? Is the Creature’s death the reason for the store’s new found success? Again, they don’t explain ANYTHING, so the audience is lost again here. But to tell you the truth, I had already given up at this point. I didn’t want to understand the screenplay that someone obliviously pulled out of their ass, because I just didn’t care anymore.

I think I’m being too nice with a zero rating here, because this film deserves worse. Sorry Serinda Swan, but your good looks weren’t enough.

MV5BMjEzNTYxNDEwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODc5MzMwMg@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

You’re a very beautiful woman, but eye candy couldn’t save this one.

Fuck the decent acting. Creature is still a disaster of epic proportions. The story is a total mess, they don’t show the majority of the deaths, this film isn’t scary at all, there isn’t any real tension here, the Creature can’t be taken seriously, and the constant use of slow motion in this film can become very annoying after a while. I guess they were they were going for an “awfully good movie that’s fun to watch” here, but there’s one major problem with this….Creature isn’t fun at all. This movie is pure unenjoyable garbage, but not fun. Creature is my current pick for the worst film in 2011, and Creature should pull off a clean sweep at the Razzies.

Should've watched She Creature instead, Mitch. :disappointed:

Anywho..

People Under The Stairs (1991)

What do you get when you cross Stephen King and Wes Craven? You get this lil dozey. Tbh, I think this is one of Craven's better work. It has your usual Stephen King fare: Inbred crazy fucks, isolated abused children, cannibals, and a relatively happy ending.

The story takes place in the inner city on Foo's 13th birthday. His mother is sick, the rent is due tomorrow, and his sister's asshole boyfriend has planned a big heist at the landlord's place. Spencer (one of the guys in on the heist) claims to have gold coins found at the landlord's place. The job doesn't start off too hot has the landlord doesn't fail for their scheme. Finally, Foo and dude break in.. But only Foo makes it out alive.

It turns out the landlords are brother and sister posing as husband and wife. They have spent years trying to find the 'perfect' son. The kids who tried to defend themselves ended up in the cellar (hence the movie name). The 'couple' finally found their perfect child in a daughter named Alice. It is clear that the man is sexually abusing Alice while the woman was being all Mrs. White on her ass.

The whole movie is pretty much Foo trying to get Alice and himself out of the house by the various shortcuts, passage ways, and other means of getting around a creepy funeral home turned regular home with a couple of psychos and a killer Rottweiler chasing them. There are some pretty uncomfortable parts in it (such as Alice's treatment) and if you hate racist white people, there are a lot of 'n-bombs' thrown in the movie. Fair warning.

The movie isn't all doom and gloom. There are some generally funny moments involving Foo and Papa (the names of the landlords are never revealed). Just don't ask me why Papa is running around in an S&M slave outfit for most of the movie.

Have to agree with Mitch on Creature.It's probably good I dont remember who recommended it to me and said it was a good movie, because I probably punch them in the face for either lying or being an idiot.

More CSB: I compared Ahab to Wade Barrett as leader of the Nexus on Twitter. Wahab!! :)

And the prize for most rediculous comparison goes to Eboney! What exactly does Ahab have in common with Barrett? Ahab spent his entire life tracking down the one who got away, eventually getting himself killed. When exactly did Barrett sacrifice himself for anythingas part of the Nexus? He sacrificed the Nexus time and time again so he could escape problemtic situations. Ahab, how ever obsessed he was, was willing to put his very life on the line for what he wanted. Barrett ducked and ran at the first sign of trouble, leaving Nexus to take every beating for him. This seems like a fangirl/boy trying to push her man into prominence, regardless of hown rediculously absurd it sounds and truly is. And the Bellas are completely unappealing. Sorry Eboney. :shrug:

Anyway, to avoid spamming:

Bridesmaids: My wife convinced me to watch this with her, and I was quite skeptical. I thought it would be little more then a chick flick, despite the positive reviews from male critics and the recommendations from male friends. Anyway, I found it to be somwhere in the middle. It wasn't a chick flick, because anyone familar with Kristin Wigg knows she reallly doesnt make said movies. Maya Rudolph, also of SNL fame, was the perfect compliment as the bride for Kristin Wiig's maid of honor. It was very entertaining to watch Wiig bumble through and fail at every attempt to plan the wedding, especially with competition from fellow bridesmaid Whitney(Jessica St. Clair.) whitney has it all- she's rich, has a great husband, and seemingly has it all together, the opposite of Wiig's Annie.

What really made this movie for me is that they gave a great backstory for why Annie was the way she was. She wan't just a mess because that's the category best suited to Wiig's acting style. The secondary story they used was Wiig getting pulled over and chastised for her broken tailights- A metaphor for her life. Despite the problems those tailights caused, she refused to get them fixed, even with disastrous results. They were symbolic of Annie's refvusal to change- No matter how much or who it caused her.

Of course, Annie leaarned from her mistakes, became the maid of honor she needed to be, and got the guy who was right for her. All elements of a chick flick? Sure. But I laughed all the way to the "typical" ending. But it was Kristin Wiig who truly made this one work for me. Prior to this, I've always liked her in small doses but questioned if she had the acting chops to carry a movie. She always fit into that passive aggressive mold that makes you laugh, which at the same time makes it hard to take her serious. She achieved both here- She was the typical Kristin Wiig most love from SNL, but she also showed she could handle her own in dramatic scenes.

I read many a critic compare this to The Hangover for Women, which baffles me. This wasn't a movie about a broup of friends who get stranded on a wedding day, in fact, most of the main characters had quite a bit of animosity towards each other from the start. But thats's not a bad thng-Some of the scenes with the largest amount of animosty were the funniest. This was by no means a perfect film, as the perfect fairytell ending, amongst other things, just doesn't work for Annie. But the positives far outweight the negatives, and I certainly endorse this film. 7/10

So, what's it to you if I am just bullshitting about a movie again?

Anywho,

Major Payne (1995)

This is easily one of my favorite movies. The lines in this movie are just perfect from the delivery, timing, and content. "You'll get no sympathy from me! If you want sympathy, look in the dictionary between 'shit' and 'syphilis.'"

The movie's progression and ending could easily be called predictable. But I think the different ways the boys try to take down Payne make the movie.. And how Payne retorts to said situations. Tho, my favorite moment in the movie is when Payne has an audition to be a police officer and ends up slapping the male actor unconscious. haha

I think this is a great movie for anyone who doesn't want comedy without the stupidity of a parody film or whatever that shit Will Farrell does is called.

Major Payne is fucking Awesome :headbanger:

I think the best movie; well one of the best movies I have watched this year is Friends with Benefits. I have a major crush for Mila Kunis so I try to watch whatever movie she is in. I thought this was going to be a hardcore chick flick movie in which it wasn't. Justin Timberlake (is it one or two words) and Mila's on screen chemistry was superb along with having the feeling as if they were a real couple. None of this movie looked or felt forced it seem like such a natural movie. It was downright fucking funny as it made me laugh so hard I got me a 6 pack. The story was good along with the serious parts of the film as well. Overall funny movie with a good story to go along with it, I suggest watching it as I am a huge critic when it comes to movies.

Apollo 18 (2011) 1/10- Ugh, I guess I’ll have to add this to my list of big disappointments for 2011. Apollo 18 does have a very intriguing premise, but this film can be so BORING. I struggled to stay awake during the first half of the film, because everything felt so dull and lifeless. Everything picks up, when the aliens come into play, but this film didn’t do it for me. Yeah, Apollo 18 does provide a few jump scares every now and then, and the found-footage style of filmmaking does give this one a strong realistic feeling, but for the most part Apollo 18 doesn’t deliver.

First of all, this film really isn’t scary. Yes. There are a few scares here and there, but tension just isn’t there for the bulk of the film. The audience must suffer through a series of long conversations between the two main characters (Warren Christie and Lloyd Owen), and some of these conversations just drag on for way too long. They try to make up for the unbelievable boredom towards the end. They do throw in some decent suspense, as the astronauts try to escape from the moon, but it was already too late. Apollo 18 had already sunk deep into the shitter, and nothing could save this film.

Also, I had trouble buying into the story here. Am I really supposed to believe aliens are secretly living on the moon? Some of the aliens in this film are huge in size, so how could they hide for so long? The story wants you to believe the government pulled the “cover up” card, but why would they want to hide dangerous and vicious aliens on the moon? Why haven’t the aliens tried to come to Earth yet? The aliens who are hiding on the moon aren’t friendly at all. They obviously don’t like humans, so why haven’t they tried to attack Earth? The American astronauts find the dead body of a cosmonaut. Of course, he ran into the aliens, and things didn’t go too well for him. His operational spaceship is STILL on the moon, so why doesn’t anyone else know about the cosmonaut’s death? Yeah, I know, they were trying to play “the government conspiracy” card here, but I couldn’t believe it. Russia sent a man to space, he is killed by aliens, and then the Americans send men to space as guinea pigs, so they can find out what happened? Aliens, who could bring harm to the planet Earth are killing men in space, and the governments want to keep this a secret?!?!? Yeah, right.

You might enjoy this, if you’re into government conspiracies and found-footage horror films, but I thought Apollo 18 was pretty awful. This film provided plenty of facepalming moments for me, and this has to be one of the most boring and uninteresting films I’ve ever seen. The short run time doesn’t help (1hr. and 26min.), because Apollo 18 was doomed for failure from the start.

Los Ojos De Julia (Julia’s Eyes) (2010) 8/10- Well, Guillermo del Toro is a producer for this one, so Julia’s Eyes became an instant must-see for me. Julia’s Eyes is a very enjoyable horror/thriller film. This film features a great amount of tension, there are some spooky moments here, this film can feel genuinely scary most of the time, and the story is excellent.

Julia (Belén Rueda) is struggling with tragic death of her blind twin sister. Her sister’s death is believed to be a suicide, but Julia won’t accept this. She tries to uncover the truth behind her sister’s mysterious death, but she is followed by a creepy and an unknown stalker, who likes to take pictures. Julia receives help from her husband, but he eventually dies a shocking and unexpected death. Julia is all alone in the world, and she actually begins to lose her own eyesight soon enough. Julia begins to bond with her day carer, Iván. He helps her recover, but is this man hiding something?

Julia’s Eyes features an emotional story, there are some nice twist and turns here, and this film does have its sad moments. Belén Rueda does a terrific job with the lead role, and the rest of the acting is solid enough. Also, I enjoyed the first person point of view from Rueda's character in this film, because the audience literally sees the story from Julia’s eye’s, when she begins to go blind. I thought this was a nice touch, and this camera technique complimented the story so well. Julia’s Eyes was a real treat, and this film really did bring out the Guillermo del Toro fanboyism in me.

The Debt (2011) 8/10- Jessica Chastain is shooting up my list of favorite actresses. She really has surprised me this year, and her performance in this film was very good. Chastain was in the shadow of Helen Mirren here (because they share the same character in different time periods). She had to share the spotlight with a big name actress, but her performance is still noticeably good, and Chastain should have a bright future in Hollywood.

Anyway, The Debt is a very crafty and unique drama/thriller. Usually, I’m not too crazy about films that involve espionage and conspiracies, but The Debt really impressed me. This film features a good amount of suspense and tension, there are some nice action scenes here, the acting is very good, and there is a nice surprise at the very end. Also, I actually enjoyed the time-shifting present/past style of storytelling here. The past parts of the storyline feature plenty of tension and turmoil, as Jessica Chastain, Sam Worthington, and Marton Csokas (the younger versions of the main characters in this film) struggle to hide a Nazi war criminal, and an uncomfortable love triangle begins to build at the same time. The three main characters in this film (Stefan Gold, Rachel Singer, David Peretz) have to endure a lot of emotional torture. A lie affects their lives as they grow older, and time doesn’t heal all wounds here, because they can’t escape the truth. Helen Mirren, Ciarán Hinds, and Tom Wilkinson (the older versions of the main characters) are trying to bury the dark secret, but their calm and quiet retirement lifestyle is disrupted, when an old enemy resurfaces. I could feel the emotional torture of the present day characters, because you actually get to see what they went through in the past.

I enjoyed the time-shifting style of storytelling, but I can understand why some critics saw this as a weakness for this film. There is a good amount of action, tension, and suspense in the past parts of the story, but the same thing can‘t be said about the modern day parts of the storyline. The present day parts of the storyline feature a lot of conversations and arguments, and these dialogue filled scenes do kill the momentum sometimes, when the story shifts time periods, because you won‘t feel any tension and you won‘t see any sort of action until the very end of the film. Also, the characters do go through a slight identity crisis here. Two different actors and actresses are portraying each one of the main characters, and at times, their identities don’t feel same. Still, I really enjoyed The Debt, and this film is on my list of 2011 favorites.

The Wild Hunt (2009) 8/10- So Erik ( Ricky Mabe) and Lyn (Kaniehtiio Horn) are having some relationship problems. Lyn wants some time away from Erik, so she decides to join his brother, Bjorn (Mark A. Krupa) in a live action role playing game. This game has a Middle Ages theme, and the participants take everything very seriously. Erik wants to repair his damaged relationship with Lyn, so he decides to chase after her. Erik takes a trip to the site where the game is played. He wants to win back his girlfriend, but he discovers a pretty devastating secret: Lyn has another man. Lyn is cheating, but Erik remains persistent. He wants to risk everything for Lyn, and he is willing to fight the other man (Trevor Hayes), because he wants the love of his life back, but all hell breaks lose, when Erik tries to bring Lyn back to the real world.

The Wild Hunt was a nice surprise for me, and this is one of the more unique physiological thrillers I’ve seen. At first, I thought all of the characters were complete and total losers, and I actually thought about giving up on this one at times. But as the film progressed, I began to understand the characters, and my opinions of them changed a lot. Yeah, they might look like a group of people, who need a real life and some serious physcriatic help, but the game was an escape for the characters. Bjorn secluded himself from the real world, because he couldn’t handle the problems within his family, and Erik resented him for this. Lyn grew tired of the boredom and depression she faced in her real life, but the game made her happy. And Shaman Murtgah (Trevor Hayes) actually believed he was this important and powerful leader. The bulk of the characters in this film enjoyed playing the game, because they could lose themselves in a fantasy world, and they didn’t have to worry about real life.

The Wild Hunt does feature some pretty solid acting, and the story is full of emotion. At first, The Wild Hunt does have this cheery and peaceful vibe. I actually laughed a few times, but this film does become a lot more darker and serious, when Erik decides to interrupt the game, and the atmosphere can feel chilling and eerie. The intensity and the violence can feel very extreme, and everything really picks up towards the end. The final moments of this film do provide plenty of shocking and speechless moments, the violence is very graphic and gory, and the ending can feel so gut wrenching. The Wild Hunt does get off to a slow start, but this was a nice treat, and I wish could’ve found this film sooner.

Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star (2011) 0/10- Really??? Adam Sandler, Nick Swardson, and Allen Covert are responsible for the screenplay, and they should take a lot of heat for this one. I guess you were all high on crack cocaine, or some other type of illegal drug, when you wrote this screenplay, because this was one the worst comedies I’ve ever seen.

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again, I don’t have a problem with raunchy gross-out comedies, but the vulgarity should be delivered in small doses, because the jokes and humor will lose their steam, when you go too over the top, and Bucky Larson is a prime example of some serious overkill. Okay, we get it. Bucky (Nick Swardson) has awkward and horrendous beaver teeth. You don’t need to point this out in every other scene. Bucky’s teeth were obviously abnormal. You could tell by just looking at them, but they ran the “Bucky has ugly teeth!” joke into the ground here. Bucky has a very, very small dick. This isn’t funny, but they wouldn’t stop mentioning Bucky’s misfortunes down below. Also, Bucky’s “porn talent” left me speechless. I wasn’t in awe of “Bucky’s porn talent.” I couldn’t believe what I was seeing on the screen, and his talent did cause a couple of facepalms. I can’t go into details about Bucky’s talent, but I will say this, it wasn’t funny at all. It was incredibly stupid and creepy, and they wouldn’t stop forcing this throughout the film. Oh, and I didn’t understand the “Bucky has a funny accent joke” in this film. Why? BECAUSE SWARDSON’S CHARACTER DOESN’T TALK WITH A FUCKING ACCENT!!! Bucky sounds like a goofball throughout the film, but he does not have an accent. The humor in this film is absolutely dreadful, and I just couldn’t laugh.

They were trying to present the Bucky character as an inspiration for men here. He was the goofy and awkward guy, who could score hot and attractive women like his girlfriend in the movie. Kathy (Christina Ricci) was the attractive love interest here, and she wanted to like Bucky for who he was. She accepted his extremely nerdy personality. Bucky was supposed to be the hero for the Average Joe or awkward nerd, who could never pick up a hot woman. “Bucky gives me hope! I can do it!” That was the idea, and they really try to push the “be yourself” message throughout the film. I’m sorry, but the Bucky character in this film is way too over the top. They wanted Bucky to be the loveable geek in this film, but Swardson’s character was so damn annoying. I didn’t want to root for him, and I didn’t want to feel for Bucky. I just wanted him to disappear from the movie, because Bucky Larson drove me nuts the entire time. I can get behind the awkward nerdy character, IF he undergoes some changes in his personality, but I saw the same Bucky Larson at the very end of the film. Bucky didn’t have that one moment of redemption, and he didn’t change. I saw the same Bucky Larson throughout the entire film, and this is one of the many reasons why I couldn’t stand this character.

Dick Shadow (Stephen Dorff) was supposed to be Bucky’s rival, but I couldn’t buy into their feud, or lack thereof. Shadow is the cocky and popular big shot male porn star, and Bucky is the goofy nerd, who threatens his throne. Shadow obviously hates Larson, because he doesn’t see him as a problem at first, but Larson starts to become popular, and he steals the show at a porn film award show. Dorff can be a real jerk in this film. He does humiliate and taunt Bucky every now and then, but his feud with Bucky feels so pointless and random. Dick Shadow doesn’t do anything to derail Bucky’s porn career or personal life. He just comes off as this random asshole, who wants to poke fun at Bucky every now and then. I guess they were trying to build a feud, but nothing happens between these two, Shadow’s antics don’t affect Bucky’s life at all, and Dorff’s presence felt so meaningless.

Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star is one awful, awful comedy, and Nick Swardson is one of the bigger problems in this film. Don’t get me wrong, I actually like the guy, but he is not a star. Swardson isn’t capable of carrying a film as the lead man. He can be funny as a supporting character or sidekick/lackey, but he was awful as the main character in this film. Swardson doesn’t deserve all of the blame, because the Bucky character was horrendous, but in the end, Swardson couldn’t deliver. He didn’t elevate this film in any way, and having a shitty character didn’t help. Swardson should stick with the supporting roles, because he really drags this film down most of the time.

I will always love Christiana Ricci, but the majority of her films are just horrendous. Some of them are borderline unwatchable, and Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star is one atrocious comedy. This is a film about porn, so there are a good amount of attractive women here, but the eye candy isn’t enough. The over the top and raunchy humor drove me nuts. It wasn’t funny at all, and the jokes lose their steam very quickly. Plus, the overwhelming mediocre acting didn’t help anything. I hated Creature with a passion, but Bucky Larson is a strong contender for the worst film in 2011.

Real Steel (2011) - 9/10
Another awesome Hugh Jackman movie. I didn't think I'd go and watch this because as soon as I saw the trailer, I thought that I already knew the ending, and in the end, I did. However, this movie was just awesome. Classic father/son movie. I did get a bit teary-eyed at the end as one of my closest friends has been having trouble with her dad. But overall, this movie was great, graphics were awesome. In the beginning, it starts out slow, but you'll eventually get into it by the middle of the plot. Only reason this is not 10/10 is because I knew the ending for it but hey, who doesn't love an underdog kind of movie right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back