Movie Review Thread

The Hunger Games:

Wow what a crap movie. Two and a half hours of boredom really.

Now I haven't read the book and i don't think i will now but i think the story is stupid. The only feeling i got during the movie besides boredom was shock because
it's not every day you see a what 18 year old guy kill 12 year old boys and girls.

I give it 1/5.

The Hunger Games:

Wow what a crap movie. Two and a half hours of boredom really.

Now I haven't read the book and i don't think i will now but i think the story is stupid. The only feeling i got during the movie besides boredom was shock because
it's not every day you see a what 18 year old guy kill 12 year old boys and girls.

I give it 1/5.

You're totally wrong. Obviously you've never either seen Battle Royale, which has a very similar plotline.

I saw this film yesterday, it was brilliant. Not amazing, but it was really good. The story is smart and different, I know very few films that are like this and if you read the short text at the start of the film, then you'll understand it.

Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson & Woody Harrelson all play their parts perfectly and even Lenny Kravitz makes an appearance as the fashion guru. The "Hunger Games" themselves are brilliant, it's brutal, but not to the point that would turn people away.

I'm keeping this short, might come back and be more detailed, but I wanted to just tell you wrong.

Out of 10, I'd give it 8.

You're totally wrong. Obviously you've never either seen Battle Royale, which has a very similar plotline.

Hey man that's just my opinion, i mean to me it was just like watching the Condemned or Death Race. Three movies about people killing eachother to entertain millions of people.

Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson & Woody Harrelson all play their parts perfectly and even Lenny Kravitz makes an appearance as the fashion guru.

I thought Woody Harrelson was great in it, he entertained me the most.

Iron Man 2 (2010)

Currently rewatching all of the Marvel films before The Avengers comes out, so figured I'd give the most recent one I rewatched a review.

Plot: After revealing his superhero identity to the world, Tony Stark is balancing the life of both millionare playboy in charge of a weapons technology company with that of a superhero, whilst fighting off the US military's requests that he hand over the suit for the benefit of the country. Tony is also struggling to find a replacement for the arc reactor core in his chest that is keeping him alive, as slowly but surely, it is poisoning him. Not only that, a man with an identical arc reactor that supposedly cannot be replicated, Ivan Vanko, attacks him at in Monaco on a mission of personal vengeance. On top of this, he also has to deal with Justin Hammer, a rival weapons manufacturer, who is looking for any way possible to embarrass Stark, and ultimately bury him.

Something I was surprised by in the first film was the revelation of Stark being Iron Man at the very end. I thought this would have been something to be revealed at the end of a second, possibly leading into a third. But it opened up a lot of interesting doors for the plot; the pressure from the government for Stark to hand the suit over coupled with the friction this causes between Stark and Rhodie being the main one. It's interesting to see a superhero have to deal with the public knowledge of his alter-ego.

Also, this film gave us a new hero; one that was teased in the first film...WAR MACHINE! The souped-up, gattling gun wielding, armed-to-the-teeth mark II Iron man suit piloted by Colonel James Rhodes, modified by Stark Industries rivals HAMMER tech, brings a whole new dimension to the final fight with Vanko.

I liked the merging of two of Iron mans villains too; Crimson Dynamo and Whiplash. Putting them together made an interesting character, and the backstory behind Ivan Vanko made this a very personal attack on Stark; one neither man could afford to lose. Anton Vanko and Howard Stark worked together for SHIELD, until Howard had Anton deported for trying to sell te technology they were developing. His fathers death is the kick that drives Ivan to go after Stark, not least with his own technology.

In short, a solid plot. Not many surprises, but it didn't need there to be.

Rating: 8/10

Performance: Robert. Fucking. Downey. Jr. I love this man. He is perfect as the Tony Stark that doesn't take himself too seriously. I also love when he does get serious; he retains the wit, but his voice carries so much drive behind it; he may be joking with his words, but underneath you can tell he's not going to stop till he's achieved what he wants to. It's also great to see a superhero that, rather than worry about the pressure of being a superhero, isn't afraid to stand up for the fact that he fucking loves being Iron Man.

Miickey Rourke was someone I wasn't sure about, but he was an inspired peice of casting. He plays the polar opposite to Stark well; he's as smart as he is, but the complete opposite end of the class level. We get the impression that Vanko is having fun, messing with Stark, with his first attack on Stark nothing more than to prove that he can 'make God bleed.'

I wasn't overly bothered when Terrence Howard was repaced with Don Cheadle. Cheadle's performance isn't spectacular , but he keeps up with Downey Jr, and he looks all levels of awesome in War Machine's colours. No better or worse than Howard, to be perfectly honest.

Justin Hammer's reinvention as a young, bad-guy Tony Stark was inspired, and Sam Rockwell played it to perfection. A refeshing character who you just wanted to slap in the face for being so cocky.

Pepper Potts, as in the first film, is fairly forgettable, but good enough to not be bad. Some of the humour between Gweneth Paltrow and Downey Jr, while it flourished in the first film, felt a bit forced, and didn't quite capture the spark of number 1.

The rest of the cast does a solid enough job without being overly memorable. Scarlettt Johansson as Black Widow not only looks great pulling off flips and even a huracanrana, but is solid in her role. Samuel L. Jackson is...well, he's Samuel L. motherfuckin' Jackson playing a role written for him, what do you expect? Clarke Gregg as Agent Coulson has a much smaller role in this film, but it's a nice, familiar face, and one we've come to recognise as representing SHIELD. Again, not mermorable, but not intended to be, so it's okay.

It's a good cast, but at times it felt like too much was on Downey Jr's shoulders. Other than his, not many memorable performances here.

Rating: 7/10

Script:Not as strong as the first film, but not terrible by any standards. It had action, it had humor, it had a serious side, and yet...I dunno. It didn't make me connect in any way. The dialogue wasn't bad in any way but...it wasn't really good either. We're meant to emote with Stark and somehow the script doesn't quite have it right. A lot of the humour seems forced, and that was one of the first films huge plus points. It's odd but, it just doesn't click anywhere on the same level as the first one. Also...I understand that this is building towards the Avengers, but...why so much SHIELD? They were a minor role previously, and that could have worked well here too, but here they felt far too prominent, and it just bugged me, and made this feel a bit too much like an Avengers set-up movie.

One thing I hated was Jon Faverau's role of Happy Hogan, the assistant to Tony Stark/Pepper Potts. He had a very limited role in the first film, and that was fine. In this , he got his own fight scene. Why? Why does he need that? Alongside Scarletts fight scene, it isn't needed. Just one of those little things that bugged me, and could have been done without.

Vanko's role in the film...ehh. It could have been better. I got the feeling that they were holding it back, playing it safe. Rourke was great in this role and deserved more. I could have stood for a bit more of him smashing shit up, as opposed to him getting his ass kicked by Iron Man in Monaco.

Actually, thats my biggest complaint...this film lacked Iron Man. Why didn't we see any of his 'heroics'? Surely the point of being a superhero film is seeing the superhero do what he does best? Everytime in this film we see him don the armour, it's for personal reasons first. Monaco? Someone's attacking him. Party? He's fucked out of his head and thinks it's funny. The end? Vanko's taunting him into coming out so he can attack him. Why couldn't we just see Iron Man doing some proper heroics? Saving a town from terrorists in another, far away land, helping a millitary patrol out when they're pinned down somewhere in the middle east...I dunno, just SOMETHING!

Rating: 6/10

Visual: Iron Man and War Machine fucking an army of robots up. That one scene sold me on this film. Iron Man looks fucking awesome, War Machine looks better. The effects for Rourke's first fight with him look sweet, and you do get the sense that if he hits you with one of those whips, you are fucked. Vanko's armour at the end, which just looks like a beefed up Iron Man, was a bit dull and disappointing, but that entire end scene was that way, too.

One thing I've never liked from a design aspect is that in all other incarnations, Iron Man has more gold in his armour. It sounds silly, but personal preferance, it needs more gold in there. The chestplate looks fucking huge, and the gold would break it up a little bit more. That said, I loved the suitcase armour. Modelled on the Silver Centurion armour, little nods like that to the original comics are awesome, and it looks sweet. We get that it's a stripped down, very basic armour that can only do so much, but it serves it's purpose well.

Not the best SFX ever, but they still look sweet. Hell, what isn't to like about robots fighting guys in robotic suits with huge guns? It looks pretty in all areas, looks realistic enough for us to not roll our eyes, and is made to make it look almost real enough to believe.

Overall: After loving the first film when it came out, this disappointed me a little. A guy in a modified Iron Man suit as a bad guy again, not enough Iron Man beating up bad guys, more humour that, mostly, felt a little out of place and forced. But, that said, the plot was solid, the performances were enjoyable, and we got a two new heroes in Black Widow and War Machine. Downey Jr was once again the main attraction, and I felt that this film relied a bit too much on him. It just needed a bit more substance. The story was there, the characters were there, but the script just felt a little lacking in making me care about the film. And whilst there was plenty of action, the flying through the air near the end felt far too long, and some of that time could have been given to some more Iron Man kicking bad guys asses all around the world, being the 'nuclear deterrant' he claims to be.

Very enjoyable, but probably the weakest Marvel film, definitely not a patch on the first film.

Overall Rating: 29/40

The Vow (2012) 4/10- Paige (Rachel McAdams) and Leo Collins (Channing Tatum) survive a brutal car accident. Leo walks away with a few scrapes and bruises after the crash, but Paige isn’t so lucky. Paige eventually awakes from her coma, but she doesn’t remember the marriage, and she doesn’t recognize her husband Leo. Paige’s sudden and severe memory loss could destroy their marriage, but Leo is determined to help Paige remember their relationship. Leo struggles to help Paige retrace the lost steps in her life, but Paige slowly begins to accept the life she had before her marriage to Leo, and Paige’s feelings for her ex-boyfriend, Jeremy (Scott Speedman) return.

I’ve never been a fan of Channing Tatum. His films are usually awful, and he can’t act. But Tatum has the Hollywood look, and his films usually attract some good crowds at movie theaters. Tatum can appeal to teenage and adult males with his action films (G.I. Joe, Fighting), and the first two Step Up films (Tatum was regulated to a cameo appearance in Step Up 2) and The Vow will appeal to his female followers. Although, Tatum will always receive support from his female fanbase regardless, and the genre of his films won’t matter, because the possibility of seeing Tatum without a shirt is enough for them.

Tatum is on my list of the worst actors in Hollywood….but he wasn’t that bad here. Tatum didn’t deliver a career defining performance in The Vow, but he was convincing at times. Tatum gave a nice effort here, and unlike his other films, Tatum’s performance didn’t drag The Vow down.

Tatum’s decent performance surprised me, and Rachel McAdams delivered as always, but I can’t give The Vow a positive score. The source material for this film should’ve inspired a unique and special romance/drama film, but The Vow quickly turns into you’re typical and predictable Hollywood production. The Vow feels like something different at first, but this film just slowly goes through the motions as the story progresses, and you can see everything coming from a mile away. The Vow had a great opportunity to stand out, and this film could’ve been something to remember, but this one just left me with that “same old, same old” feeling. The Vow is inspired by a touching and heartfelt real life story, but the screenplay turns this film into your ordinary Hollywood romance/drama. They really did take the easy way out here, and I couldn’t escape this feeling.

And the picture of the real life couple that inspired this film did bother me a little bit. The real life story of Kim and Krickitt Caprenter inspired this film, and you will see a picture with them together once the credits start rolling. They’re with their kids, and the Caprenters just look like two average people. Mr. Kim doesn’t have the Abercrombie & Fitch look of a Channing Tatum, and Mrs. Krickitt doesn’t have Rachel McAdams’ gorgeous beauty. The Carpenters are just two normal people, but McAdams and Tatum don’t fit the profile of the ordinary couple. Channing Tatum is eye candy for his female fans, and Rachel McAdams is a well known actress, so you can expect these two to draw a good amount of moviegoers to theaters, and The Vow was a nice box office success. Also, this was a Valentine’s Day movie, so couples were more than willing to take a chance on this one, because The Vow is a “date movie.” Anyway, I wish they could’ve found a more unknown actress and actor for the lead roles. An actor and actress, who didn’t have the Hollywood look would’ve added a more believable realism factor to this film. But Spyglass Entertainment and Screen Gems wanted to make a lot of money, so that’s why they went with McAdams and Tatum.

The acting in this film is solid, and Rachel McAdams is the true star of this cast, because she did deliver the best performance in this film, but when it comes to romance/dramas, The Vow really doesn’t bring anything different to the table. “Ugh, I’ve seen this before.” This is feeling you will have, if you decide to watch this film, and The Vow just feels like your standard Hollywood romance/drama, that hits theaters during Valentine’s Day season every year. You might enjoy this as a “date movie,” and The Vow might entertain you, if you’re in a relationship with someone, because this film does feature some sweet and sentimental moments every now and then. But I couldn’t get into this, and The Vow was a real disappointment for me.

Wanderlust (2012) 6/10- George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston) purchase the micro-loft of their dreams, and the happy married couple enjoy their expensive new home at first, but George and Linda’s successful lifestyle quickly takes a turn for the worst. George loses his new job on the first day of work, and Linda’s documentary about penguins is rejected by HBO executives. George and Linda are out of money, and they lose the loft. The distraught married couple hits the road, but along the way, George and Linda accidentally stumble into a hotel bed and breakfast named Elysium. Elysium is actually a hippie commune. George and Linda enjoy their brief stay, and the peaceful, carefree lifestyle relaxes them. But George and Linda decide to return to the real world after a while, because they need a stable lifestyle and they‘re dead broke. With nowhere to go, George turns to his obnoxious brother, Rick (Ken Marino). Rick is a real jerk, and George doesn’t want to put up with his constant teasing, so George and Linda decide to return to Elysium, but can they handle the hippie lifestyle?

For the most part, Wanderlust does provide some good laughs, but the bizarre hippie material in this film did annoy me at times. Yeah, I get it. Elysium is filled with a bunch of eccentric hippies, who enjoy living a free and peaceful lifestyle. They’re not going to join modern civilization, and Elysium is their sanctuary. But the humor in Wanderlust can feel so forced sometimes. For example, Wayne (Joe Lo Truglio) is the resident nudist at Elysium, and they really did try to push the “HEY! That guy is naked!“ stuff, but the shock value of seeing a naked man in awkward situations does fade pretty quickly. Wayne’s FIRST appearance could provide a funny moment…..but I couldn’t laugh after seeing Wayne for the first time, because this “Oh look. There’s the naked guy, and they‘re showing brief glimpses of his penis….again.” feeling started to set in.

Wanderlust’s zany and eccentric vibe can’t be ignored. “Look how weird and whacky we can be! And you haven’t seen anything yet, just wait until the next scene!” I couldn’t escape this feeling throughout the film. I wish they could’ve toned it down a bit, because as the story progressed, the overload of hippie freedom humor did start to feel tiresome and redundant.

And I couldn’t stand the Rick character in this film. Yes. I know. He’s supposed to be a dick. That’s obvious enough, but this character is so over the top, and Rick wasn’t some loveable jerk. He was just an obnoxious tool. Rick loved to gloat and brag about his success. This was his way of putting George down, as he crushed his spirit. Rick wasn’t pure evil, but still, this character didn’t provide any entertainment for me, and Rick‘s “I’M COCKY, AND I’M GOING TO RUB MY SUCCESS IN YOUR FACE, AND THERE’S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT, BECAUSE I’M A DICK! YEAH!!!!” persona couldn’t pull any laughs out of me.

Wanderlust wasn’t perfect, but I still enjoyed this film. Wanderlust can provide some good laughs, and Jennifer Anniston and Paul Rudd did share some nice chemistry. Rudd and Anniston were the perfect choices for the married couple, who wanted to chase big dreams. But George and Linda had to pull through some tough times, and I could feel sympathy for them, as they struggled to find a new life. I wanted George and Linda to find true happiness. I wanted them to achieve success. George and Linda are two likeable characters, and I wanted to root for them. Also, Alan Alda was hilarious as the senior member of Elysium, and Carvin (Alda) was one of the more enjoyable characters in this film. The majority of the cast was enjoyable, and Wanderlust does feature some very solid acting.

Silent House (2012) 7/10- Sarah (Elizabeth Olsen) is trapped inside her family’s secluded lakeside house in the country. Her father is left unconscious after a brutal attack, and Sarah must find help quickly, because someone doesn’t want her to escape.

Why are the intruders stalking Sarah and her family? Why do they want to cause her harm? What are they after? This was the big mystery throughout the film. Silent House tried to deliver a shocking surprise at the very end, but the big twist really didn’t do anything for me. The big surprise wasn’t awful, but the “it’s all in her head ” twist did feel a bit underwhelming. I was expecting a jaw-dropping shocker at the end. Chris Kentis (the director for this film) did such a wonderful job of building the suspense, and I did have big expectations for the grand finale, but Silent House just left me with that “Really? That’s it?” feeling.

The big twist was a let down for me, but Elizabeth Olsen was just fantastic here. The rest of the acting in Silent House is pretty mediocre, but Olsen really did carry this film on her back. Her character receives the bulk of the focus and screen time, and Olsen is the driving force behind Silent House. I NEED to find a copy of Martha Marcy May Marlene, because seeing more of Elizabeth Olsen has become a priority for me.

You’ll see some blood in Silent House, but this film really doesn’t feature any graphic scenes of gore. I actually enjoyed this approach, because Silent House is filled with some excellent tension, and the jump scares were just great. Silent House is a thought provoking horror film, that will keep you guessing until the very end, and Elizabeth Olsen’s superb performance is very enjoyable.

Silent House has received some harsh treatment from critics and moviegoers. The mass majority continues to bash this film, and the bulk of the hate is directed towards the big twist at the very end. As I said before, the big twist did disappoint me a little bit, but the grand finale didn’t ruin this film for me, and Silent House has made my list of favorites for 2012.

The Woman (2011) 7/10- Chris Cleek (Sean Bridgers) finds a feral woman in the woods, while hunting one day. Eventually, Chris captures The Woman , and he decides to hold her captive in his cellar. Chris wants to civilize The Woman (Pollyanna McIntosh), and with the help of his family, they try to transform her into a normal person.

At first, the Cleeks seem like your traditional American family. Chris is the strict father and husband of the household, and everyone fears the consequences of questioning his authority. Belle (Angela Bettis) is the obedient and silent housewife, and the children seem normal enough. Peggy (Lauren Ashley Carter) is the oldest daughter in the family. She’s quiet, and doesn’t cause any trouble. Brian (Zach Rand) looks up to his father, and he wants to follow in his footsteps. And Darlin’ (Shyla Molhusen) is the youngest child in the family. She’s innocent, and Darlin’ just wants to enjoy life as a normal kid.

But you begin to see the serious problems within the Cleek family, as the story unfolds. Peggy is hiding a serious secret, and she refuses the help from her caring teacher, Ms. Raton (Carlee Baker), because she fears the backlash from her father. Belle is a complacent housewife, but she decides to take a stand against Chris’ violent and cruel behavior, and eventually, Belle snaps. Brian admires his father. He’s a role model for him, but Mr. Cleek isn’t someone, who you should look up to, and Chris’ cruel treatment of the woman begins to influence Brian’s feelings towards women.

And then there’s Mr. Cleek. Chris takes his job as “man of the house” seriously, and he keeps a close eye on his entire family. Chris just seems like a normal family man, who’s passionate about protecting his loved ones, but you get to see the dark side of Mr. Cleek’s character, as the story progresses. Mr. Cleek is a sick and twisted man, who hates women. There’s no conflict within this character, and his sinister actions don’t phase him at all. I will remember Mr. Cleek as one of the most evil characters I’ve seen in any type of horror film, and Sean Bridgers’ performance was very convincing. Is he trying to do the right thing by “civilizing” The Woman? Or is Mr. Cleek trying to vent his hateful feelings towards women by torturing his prisoner? These are two questions that popped in my mind during this film, because Mr. Cleek ALWAYS believes he’s doing the right the thing.

And Pollyanna McIntosh was just fantastic as The Woman. The make-up effects provided The Woman’s savage look, but McIntosh is the one, who brought life to this character. Her rage was just excellent, and her cold, emotionless stare could feel frightening. McIntosh was a very believable intimidating threat, and she could destroy anyone in her path. But I could also feel sympathy for this character. The Woman was held prisoner by Mr. Cleek. She was tortured, raped, and beaten. The Woman is forced to suffer, but I always knew she would strike back at some point. Revenge was inevitable, and for the most part, The Woman’s brutal triumph towards the end did feel glorious.

The Woman is a character driven horror film. Peggy and Belle are the innocent members of the family. They’re just looking for a way out, but they fear the wrath of Mr. Cleek. Brian and Chris are the monsters of the family, and both characters are genuinely evil, especially Mr. Cleek. The imprisonment of The Woman causes an emotional split amongst the Cleek family, and the conflict eventually leads to an intense argument between Belle and Chris. The turmoil within the Cleek family reaches a dangerous boiling point towards the end, and I really cared about the main cast of characters here. Sean Bridgers was the true star of this cast, and this film does feature some pretty good acting.

The Woman is loaded with some very graphic scenes of gore, and the violence can feel shocking. If you can’t handle repulsive gore and violence, then you should stay away from this one, because The Woman can be a very disturbing film, and most people won’t be able to tolerate this bizarre story of a dysfunctional family.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy(2011): 8/10 If you head into this movie expecting the usual espionage film filled with with car chases, shootouts, and choreographed fight scenes, you'll be sorely disappointed. However, what the film does offer is a finely written script that merges anxiety, paranoia, and espionage, yielding a tale that delves into both the lonliness and desperation of the life, one in which the characters can never be fully honest, not even with themselves. Best of all, the movie treats the audience with intelligence, which so many movies fail to do.

John Hurt plays Control, the leader of an unknown sector of the British Intelligence service. After a secret intelligence gathering mission is compromised, leading to agent Jim Prideaux being shot in the back, Control and his second in command, George "Beggerman" Smiley (Gary Oldman), are ousted from their positions with British Intelligence. Control was under the impression that there was a mole among the top ranking members of the service, which was referred to as the Circus, due to their location being in Cambridge Circus. Control, who was already ill, passes on, but Smiley is brought out of retirement to find the culprit following Control's passing. With the assistance of young Intelligence officer Peter Guillam (Benedict Cumberbatch), Smiley focuses his investigation on the four remaining members of the circus, determined that one of them is the mole. The secret, fading out yet still powerful group consists of Bill "Tailor" Haydon, played by Colin Firth, Percy "Tinker" Alleline, played by Toby Jones, Roy "Soldier" Bland, played by Ciaran Hinds, and Toby "Poorman" Esterhase, played by David Dencik.

Without the gratuitous car chases and combat scenes, the film instead focuses on leading the viewer into a journey of discovery, and a feeling that they are investigating right along with Smiley. Every scene contains a piece of information or clue which draws the viewer further into the mystery. There was a time apiece during the movie where I was sure "Tinker". "Tailor", "Soldier" and "Beggerman" was the spy, which is the beauty of this movie.

The movie relies heavily on flashbacks, and Smiley's process as he attempts to discover which of the men is the traitor. The real genius of the movie is that the movie not only draws you into Smiley's process, but it leads you subtly to picking up the pieces of what Smiley is doing, and you wind up thinking like him, culminating in a scene where Smiley discovers who he believes to be the mole, goes into a long monologue, providing an "Aha" moment for the viewer as well.

If I had any complaints, it's in the true revelation of the mole, and how he's dealt with. After spending the movie learning the characters of "Tinker" "Taylor" "Soldier" and "Beggerman", Smiley simply captures the mole at the safehouse where the men meet in the movie's apex scene. "Soldier" had been having an affair with "Smiley's wife, unabashadly, but all to divert suspicion from himself. Following his capture, Smiley plans to turn over Haydon, or"Tailor" to the Russians for trial, but Prideaux instead kills him after finding out that it was "Soldier" who was responsible for him being shot. After a slightly meticulous yet acceptable for the context pace of the movie, the film briskly moves through this scene, heading straight to a short aftermath of Smiley being restored to his old position. The end made sense, but it felt slightly rushed after the movie built so well.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy isn't going to get your pulse racing or draw you in with shootouts or high speed chases. That's not to say that the film is boring, it's anything but. It relies heavily on character development, especially Gary Oldman's Smiley, The movie is the definition of a slow burn, and moves at what to some may seem like a snail's pace. But without the pacing, one would miss out on the genius of the film, which is Smiley's process, one in which it's almost imposible not to be drawn into. The movie is layered, deep, and complicated at times, a thinking man's spy thriller, if you will. But with all it's layers and intricacies, it never presents itself as being over the audiences head. This is truly a movie that had me on the edge of my seat, where I was for about a half hour before I even realized it. Standout performances by Gary Oldman as Smiley, John Hurt as Control, and Colin Forth as Tailor really make this film greater then it might have been, as it was expertly casted.

If you're looking for car crashes, high speed chases, shootouts, and fast moving dialogue with a faster plot and a crazy twist, TTSS isn't for you. This movie isn't really about the final revelation of who the mole is, which is admittedly a letdown. Fortunately, the movie is about the journey along the way to get there, which is expertly crafted and impeccably acted. Highly recommended.

Thor 2011

Another Marvel/Avengers film here, and part of the huge superhero period of last year that included Captain America, X-Men and Green Lantern.

The Plot: Building on the old Norse God myth, Asgardians are actually Aliens from another world, replacing the magic of the source-text with advanced technology. Thor Odinson is the heir to the Asgard throne; a brash, cocky, bloodthirsty young warrior with the mighty hammer Mjolnir to control the power of thunder. Yet when he breaks an age-old truce against the frost giants of Jotunheim, his father strips him of his powers, and banishes him to Earth to teach him a lesson, and the mysterious Loki, Thor's brother and the god of mischief, looks on, sensing a chance to capitalise on his dominant brothers' absence. Meanwhile on Earth, astrophysicist Jane Foster is researching unusual electrical storms in New Mexico, and gets an unexpected eurprise when a man, Thor, falls out of it. However, she is not the only person taking notice of thse storms, as SHIELD come along when a second object falls out of the sky not too far away.

The film manages to cover a lot of backstory with Asgard in the opening ten minues, and in doing so also makes the idea of Norse gods much easier to digest by turning them into aliens worshipped as gods in Norse myth. Not only that, but it takes magic out of the equation, simply dubbing it as science we don't fully understand yet, negating the need to actually explain it.

One key thing throughout is Thors evolution. This isn't an origin story, this is a story of maturing into a man. We get a brief scene of no more than three minutes to explain Odin as the king, and Thor and Loki as his sons and potential heirs. We know very early on that Thor is brash, rude and arrogant, but we also get that he cares about his loved ones. By the end of the film (as a result of his time on Earth), Thor is more...well, human. Rather than previously, where he would take the fight and leave his friends to fend for themselves, he chooses to try and sacrifice himself to save them. And then, has a choice to either leave himself with a great personal sacrifice, or let Jotunheim, the world he earlier attempted to destroy himself, be destroyed. And he chooses to spare Jotunheim, cementing his evolution from the arrogant young prince to the mature, future king of Asgard.

A fantastic blend of myth, magic and science, bonded together in a compelling story. It doesn it's job, and then some.

Rating: 9/10

The Performance: Chris Hemsworth is, in a word, perfect as Thor. King of Shakespeare Kenneth Brannagh could have easily gone ye olde with Thor, as he is often depicted in some incarnations, and yet he had Hemsworth play Thor with a distinctive Englis accent; well spoken, and somewhat old-fashioned, but not to the extreme that has been portrayed in comics and cartoons. And Hemmsworth nails it. He is larger than life, he's a smash-mouth ass-kicker, and when he needs to he is subtle, caring, and almost gentile, without losing the core elements of the character; his pride and his honour. And he looks FUCKING awesome in a cape.

As Jane, Natalie Portman is a solid love interest, and is believable as her character. Nothing more or less, but that's okay. She connects believably with Thor immediately, and though she initially follows him for answers, Portman effortlessly connects with Hemsworth's Thor to make the transition into love seamless. a solid, if not a little understated performance that does its job very well indeed.

Now, if there was ever a man born to be Odin...Anthony Hopkins is that man. He's ridiculously believable as the ruler of a kingdom, and more-so as the dissapointed father. The exchange between Thor and Odin before Thor's banishment is of a father crushed by his sons childishness, and by the end of the film, Hopkins portrays an Odin full of pride for his son, as he has finally become an man worth to be king.

Loki is an important character, and needs someone similar, yet vastly different to Hemsworth to be able to compete with him. Tom Hiddleston pulls an intriguing shift as the god of mischief, as we learn with him that he is in fact a Frostgiant. His performance in finding out is superb, as it's obvious that he wishes to break out from his brothers shadow, and this is the final push to send him over the edge. Several scenes later, lying to his brother about their father being dead, we fully see the metamorphasis of Loki in to the evil mastermind, who wishes to crush the brother that, for all his life, has been the superior one. Hiddleston brings an understated, almost humerous, yet incredibly bitter and maniachal performance to contrast Hemsworth's loud and brash offering, and the two complement each-other superbly.

We see Clarke Gregg put in a longer than usual shift as Coulson, Idris Elba as the thoroughly badass gatekeeper Heimdall, and a small yet awesome cameo from Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton, amongst the rest of the cast, all pulling their weight in a fantastic ensemble of talent. I'd go as far as to say there isn't a single bad peformance here. Good stuff.

The Script: Yet another area where this film comes good. As much as Hemsworth is to do with Thor being such a good character, the script lays the groundwork, and the words from Thors mouth are more than fitting for a brash prince. The scenes between him and Odin, and early scenes between he and Loki, is pure Shakespeare in the best possible way. The scenes are powerful and grab your attention, and are written to be striking, as indeed they are. What's also striking is the fight scene in Jotunheim, where we first see Thors mighty array of powers; a clever piece of writing to allow uninterrupted story telling to follow.

As well, Thor's relationship with Lady Siph and the Warriors three is well-portrayed and often hilarious. Little lines like "Yeah, we've got Xena, Jackie Chan and Robin Hood" (from a SHIELD agent reporting their walking through New Mexico) and when they bang on the window of where Thor is shouting "FOUND YOU!" bring in superb humor. Even Agent Coulson has a couple of cracking lines; when the armoured guard from the weapons vault lands and he is asked if it's one of Starks (an alusion to Coulsoins role in the Iron Man films) he relpies "I dunno. That guy never tells me anything." Simplistic writing, yet with the right delivery, superb.

It was interesting to see SHIELD in somewhat of an antagonistic role, but it was good to see them get a bigger presence in this film. It's purpose was relatively simple; to introduce SHIELD to Thor for the Avengers, but in this instance it's done pretty damn perfectly.

A small gem, too, was the first appearance of Clint Barton (otherwise known as Hawkeye) in the Marvel film franchise. Just by picking up a bow instead of a sniper rifle, anyone with basic knowledge of the Avengers had to smile at that.

One thing I wasn't sold on was the love story in this film, though. Portman and Hemsworth did well with it, but it felt like a bit of an afterthought, and was rather rushed through. It isn't a huge problem, and can be easily forgiven, but it felt like more could have been made of it, seeing as it's one of the factors in Thor's maturity. But meh, I can forgive this one small flaw.

Visual: With Asgard, they had to get it right. One wrong design feature and the look of it was ruined. It somehow needed to look ancient yet modern, and beautiful. And my god did they get it right. Asgard looks stunning, and they even managed to make the rainbow road; the path to the bifrost that transports them to other worlds, not look cheesy and look somewhat impressive. The fight with Thor, Loki and the Warriors Three in Jotunheim looks gorgeous, and the power display from Thor is very, very impressively made. His armour, along with every other Asgardian characters, is impressively perfect on each character, and Mjolnir looks deadly, and yet so simple.

Overall: This, hands down, is my favorite Marvel Avengers film. Iron Man is up there, but this shades it. It beats it for storytelling, and has less flaws. It also manages to avoid being an origin story, so most of the film can be spent on the main plot. It looks pretty, its not overly complex, it gives us some humor, and has a number of good to strong performances in it. Not only that, but it gives us an Avenger, and the main villain the the Avengers, too.

Final Rating: 34/40

The Hunger Games (2012)

Onto a film I didn't think I'd want to watch. But after reading the book (and the rest of the trilogy) I had to give it a go to see how it stacks up.

*note: As I normally do four sections out of 10, for this they will be out of eight, with a fifth section for adaptation

Plot: Katniss Everdeen is a sixteen year old living in District 12 of Panem (formerly the Rockies in the US). A small mining district, she and her family get by with the illegal hunting she and her friend Gale carry out. Every year, each district surrenders a random boy and girl between the ages of 12 and 18 (dubbed 'tributes') to the Capitol to participate in the Hunger Games; a huge deathmatch where the last remaining tribute alive is declared the winner. When her 12 year old sisters' name is picked out, Katniss takes her place, putting her life in the hands of the survival skills she has picked up over the years.

We have an interesting plot here, with all of the action coming in the final act of the film, with the rest of it building up. One thing I love is how in district 12, everything is very old-fashioned, to the point where you cannot possibly tell when this is supposed to be set. As the film goes on, and we're shown the full glory of the Capitol, we see that this district, as with many others, are neglested, and in such a state of disrepair that they do not show accurately the time period.

As with the book, the focus of this story is entirely on Katniss. And as it should be, this is her story of her time in the games. And we learn early on how important a person she is; she is the sole provider of her family, and main carer for her little sister Prim. The impact this has when she volunteers isn't immediate, as we understand she is doing so to protect her sister, but when her mother and Prim are allowed to visit her, we get the full sense of how important a part of the family she is, and how difficult their lives will be should she not make it back.

As well as the overall plot of the games, the subplot (which, to be honest, is more of a co-plot) is that of the past relationship with Peeta Mellark; the son of 12's baker and the male tribute for 12. We slowly learn through short flashbacks that Peeta once helped Katniss by providing her some bread; a debt she has never forgotten. The most interesting thing about their relationship is the way their feelings grow; Peeta unashamedly loves Katniss from day one, where as Katniss has no such feelings, and only plays on them during the build-up to the games (popular tributes earn sponsors, who can provide supplies once they have begun). By the end though, he realises this, but by this point her feelings have actually grown, and she herself is confused by what she feels.

Rating: 6/8

Performance: Jennifer Lawrence is, in a word, perfect as Katniss. She plays the hard-skinned hunter, who repels most warmth from others unless its from her sister well, but she also plays the vulnerable side superbly too. When another tribute that helped her dies during the games, she mourns her, and it becomes difficult to watch the outpour of emotion. There are moments in the book where Suzanne Collins writes Kaniss as being on the edge of tears, but using all of her will to stay strong; this is something Lawrence does magnificently. Multiple moments have her on the edge of breaking down, and she holds on, by a thread. But she holds on because she has to.

Josh Hutcherson grew on me as Peeta as the film progressed, and turned out to be a solid choice. He's a likeable guy who's in love, and has no expectation of coming out alive. Yet at no point does he ever seem desperate, and he is willing to die for Katniss. His performance is good, but overshadowed by Lawrence in every department.

Gale Hawthorne is nowhere near as important in the film as he is in the book, but that is mostly due to the first-person perspective of the book being able to do things the film cannot. But Liam Hemsworth gets the character spot on in the scenes he has, and comes across as a male Katniss, which, in many ways, he is. You get the true sense of friendship between he and Lawrence when they're on screen together, and you also see just how important they are to eachother; more like brother and sister that lovers.

Haymitch, the drunken former winner of the Hunger Games, appointed to train both Katniss and Peeta, is portrayed brilliantly by Woody Harrelson. You get the bitter saide of his character, though is can perhaps be mistaken for him not caring. The opposite couldn't be more true in fact, but you see how he takes pride in Katniss firing an arrow towards the Gamemakers (whilst they are eating food during her assessment session and not paying attention). Harrelson conveys all of the emotions underneath the complex skin of Haymitch, and the layers he possesses will be an interesting focal point of the coming films.

The rest of the cast is a good ensemble, but is there to be nothing more than just that. This is a story about Katniss and the people she is close to during these events.

Adaptation: This film does a fantastic job at bringing the book to life. Everything I imagined in the books, such as the look of the Capitol, to the look of the Districts, even to the look of the Games arena itself, looked as it should. The characters are spot on, and they even manage to cut a few corners without losing much; the way Katniss gets her Mockingjay pin is different, yet it doesn't matter; it's dealt with well. The minor cuts it makes are neccessary; even witht hem, the film is running at nearly two and a half hours. That said, the film has a distinct flow to it, and it never dulls, meaning that you don't notice the time it takes to the point of disrupting the film. As faithful adaptations go, this is a prime example of a very good one.

They way in which they incorperate some plot-points is clever as well; the book is all first-person, so Katniss describes everything to you in detail. In the film, we don't have that, but the way they present them differently works equally as well; an example being the racker-acker nest; in the book, the explanation is all in Katniss' head, where as in the film, it is in a studio (scenes that do not exist at all in the book) that the properties of tracker-jackers (a genetically engineered wasp) is given.

This is a double edged sword, however; no explanation is given to how Mockingjays (a cross between a Mockingbird and a fictional, genetically engineered bird) come about, and even to the large, dog-like creatures at the end. The book goes into this with a lot more detail, with some horrifying revelations, too. Not a huge issue, as you get the idea about these with the genetically altered Tracker-Jackers, but still, the impact loses something.

Another thing is the differences between the violence. Obviously, both the film and book are about teenagers killing eachother, but the book is very visual and gory. The film attempts to get around this (for the sake of a 12a rating) by using clever camerawork. The idea is pretty smart, but it just doesn't work. It becomes jarring and a little annoying, and you can't help but wonder what would have happened had they the balls to go with a 15 rating.

Script: As the script was written by Collins herself, it's hard to criticise it too much, as she is the creator of this world. She does, however, capture the essence of her book, and transfers it superbly on-screen. It's humerous where it needs to be, its full of drama and excitement, and it handles the love story in a non-stereotypical, diverse way.

It's interesting to watch as Katniss develops through the story, and how she and Peeta manage to stay the same two people by the end of the games. It hasn't changed them, rather, it's focused them more on the horrors that happen in their workd, horrors that they are repulsed by.

Another interesting feature is how the story of Peeta and the bread is shown through flashbacks throughout the first two thirds of the film. It builds it up, and we eventually understand the importance that this scene has on both Katniss and Peeta, and the film does a great job to show us this element of backstory.

The highlight, without a doubt, was the scenes surrounding Rue's death. A tribute that katniss becomes attatched to; this is one of Katniss' most important moments, as she can either wallow in self-pity, or carry on in Rue's honour. And the scenes surrounding this moment are nothing short of beautiful, and come across so well, even in comparison to the book.

Something I love, mainly because it could have gone a different way, is the emphasis on survival in the Games. It could have easily just been turned into a bloodbath, but Collins was smart enough to turn it around, and make it into a desperate, intense battle of attrition, that in my opinion was incredibly well written.

Visual: Two important things fall into here; the look of the Capitol and the Arena. The Arena looks inch perfect compared to its description; the dense forest with hidden traps, coupled with the Cornucopia (a large shell-like structure) in the centre, looks perfect to its description.

The Capitol, and conversely its people, look exactly like how they are described...a little too well. I get that the idea is to make the difference between normal district-born people and people from the Capitol alarming and vast, but the ridiculous facial hair, the wierd shaped faces...it all is just a bit too much, and makes it a bit silly.

As mentioned before, the camera-work, while a clever tool to avoid showing copious amounts of gore, is a little too much, and distracts rather than adds to the look of the film, and to be completely honest, by the end of the film, pissed me off.

Rating: 5/8

Verdict: I went to see this film with a friend who didn't really fancy it, who had never read the book, and had previously seen Battle Royale. And while he didnt think it was the best film ever, he really enjoyed it. He cited many flaws I did, plus a few I disagreed with, but he praised its focus on survival, and its overall story. And I can't help but agree with this.

It's a well told story, no doubt, but it does have a few problems, but nonetheless is incredibly faithful to the book. For how it sticks so close, it deserves praise. And what it does cut is only to stop it from running over three hours, and is well worked around for the most part.

If you're going into it conviced that Battle Royale is better, you're missing the point completely. It may use very similar tools, but as a film, this is very different world, a different story, and deserves to be set apart. Worth watching to garner an opinion, and my opinion is that this is one adaptation that is worth seeing.

Final Rating: 29/40

The Hunger Games (2012):
Director: Gary Ross
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, and Josh Hutcherson

Just to clarify, this is coming from someone that has never read the original Suzanne Collins novel, so I will be impartial with comparisons (if there are any).

Essentially most people already know the back-story to the plot, 12 districts one female on male chosen to fight in the Hunger Games, there is one winner and the rest is history. Jennifer Lawrence plays a girl from district 12 who volunteers after her younger sister is chosen to participate form the district. Her fellow comrade (well not exactly a friend) from the same district is played by Josh Hutcherson, a scared guy who is willing to win at all cost (at least at first) they are taken to the oh so rich in technology capital where Katniss (Lawrence) soon becomes a favorite to win by many due to gaining many sponsors before hand due to an alleged love story between her and Peeta (Hutcherson). The games begin, early to late teenagers are killed, a bunch of action goes down, and the spoilers end here.

I think it's actually a pretty good film. It's got a great story (as is to be expected from a book from that stature of popularity), a good cast of actors and a big budget. To me the story is sort of complicated in the opening sequences but once you narrow it down to the simple fact that the Hunger games is taking place, it becomes more enjoyable. I don't really have to explain why in terms of appearance the movie looks grand, again look at the following the novel had. The acting is pretty good as well, I didn't see to many unbelievable and ridiculous moments here from any of the actors (besides one over dramatized scene when she finds him camouflaged as a tree). I will admit that the people of capitol look absolutley absurd, I get that there is supposed to be a major income/class difference between them, but do they really have to look like they just came from a Doctor Seuss book. With the exception of a few that run the games, most of them look a bit too colorful and silly. The capitol on the other hand itself looks fantastic and is really appealing to the eyes after looking at a poor rural district for the first part of the movie. The ending leaves you satisfied that's all I ca really say bout that. Overall I this is enjoyable and action packed, it will probalby satisfy people that either haven't read the book more that it will die hard fans with incessant comparisons, I give it a 7.5/10

The Raid: Redemption (2012) 10/10- Everyone fears the wrath of Tama (Ray Sahetapy). Tama's empire continues to grow during his reign, as the dangerous and powerful drug lord, and the Jakarta (a city in Indonesia) slums have become his personal playground. He uses a rundown apartment building as his stronghold. Tama provides housing for drug addicts, murderers, and gang members, and any form of law enforcement fears the fatal consequences of intruding on Tama’s property. But a twenty man SWAT will risk everything, as they attempt a bold raid on Tama‘s apartment building. Sergeant Jaka (Joe Taslim) leads the twenty man SWAT team, and Lieutenant Wahyu (Pierre Gruno) provides the necessary guidance. Rama (Iko Uwais) is the star rookie of the SWAT team. He’s brave, fearless, and a highly skilled martial artist, but he wants to see the birth of his first child, so returning to his pregnant wife becomes Rama’s main goal.

Tama won’t go down without a fight, and the SWAT team must overcome the revelation of an unexpected betrayal, if they want to survive. The raid on Tama’s apartment building quickly turns into a bloody and brutal battle, and the survivors of the SWAT team will have to fight their way out. Escaping the deadly clutches of Tama’s army seems like an impossible challenge. Rama, Sergeant Jaka, and other survivors from the SWAT team are willing to fight through the line of defense that blocks their exit, but will Jaka’s determination and Rama’s impressive skills be enough? Or will Tama have the last laugh?

The Raid: Redemption features some of the most thrilling and brutal action sequences I’ve ever seen. You won’t see any high speed car chases in this film, and they aren’t too many spectacular explosions here, but The Raid: Redemption can wow audiences with stylish and fast-paced fight scenes. The Raid: Redemption is loaded with plenty of hard hitting fight scenes, the creative and gruesome deaths can feel shocking, and The Raid manages to maintain a high level of energy, while providing jaw-dropping moments at the same time.

Tama’s rundown apartment building did provide the PERFECT setting for this film. The apartment building is filled with Tama’s bloodthirsty army, and the SWAT team begins to lose men fast, as Tama’s army gains the upper hand. The apartment building helped enhance the claustrophobia and fear, and I could feel this strong sense of danger for the SWAT team, because eventually, escape becomes their only option for survival.

The Raid: Redemption can blow you away with exciting action, but during the calmer moments in this film, you’ll get a brief glimpse into the lives of certain characters here. Rama can be the most deadly weapon on the SWAT team. His kicks and punches are lethal weapons, but this is a man, who wants to be a father. He wants to see the birth of his first child, and he wants to become a family man. Andi (Donny Alamsyah) is Tama’s right hand man. He’s a trusted and loyal servant, but Andi is tempted by the possibility of returning to a normal life. He could take the chance of reconnecting with his loved ones, and the unexpected reunion with a family member could change everything.

Tama is the evil and cold blooded antagonist. Tama’s presence can inspire intimidation and fear, and they really did a nice job of building up Tama’s reputation as this powerful drug lord, who couldn’t be stopped. You will get a glimpse of Tama’s psychotic behavior early on, as he dishes out a series of nasty and graphic executions, and he doesn’t let the lack of bullets ruin his violent rampage. Mad Dog (Yayan Ruhian) likes to take care of the dirty work, and he is Tama’s skilled hitman. Mad Dog can be a viscous murderer, but this character does display some admirable traits. Mad Dog doesn’t like to use guns to finish off his victims, because guns take all the “fun” out of everything. And Mad Dog will always give his victims a fighting chance. Mad Dog is a ruthless killer, but he did have a sense of honor, and this character didn’t take pride in any cheap kills.

The Raid: Redemption features a nice set of characters, that have a good amount of depth. The constant barrage of bullets, fists, and kicks will keep you entertained, but I could invest my emotions in the story, because I wanted to care about the characters here.

I know it’s kind of early, but The Raid: Redemption deserves some serious consideration as the best action film in 2012. The Raid: Redemption provides a thrilling adrenaline rush, that will hook you in from beginning to end. Redemption takes violence and brutality to another level, and the tension throughout this film is just superb. And the pacing is just excellent. The Raid: Redemption can make your eyes bulge with some great action scenes, but Gareth Evans (the director for this film) knew when to slow down. Evans did give the audience a chance to catch their breath, and you really get to know the characters during these peaceful moments. Also, the gritty and raw cinemotragphy was a nice touch here. The Raid has a great look, and the cinemotragphy was a perfect match for the bleak atmosphere throughout this film.

It’s only April, so The Raid: Redemption will fade away soon enough, and eventually, this film will be buried underneath the pile of big summer blockbusters. But I won’t forget The Raid: Redemption, because this hardcore action adventure has earned a spot on my must-see list for 2012.

Lockout (2012) 6/10- Lockout was originally titled MS One: Maximum Security, but the studio decided to change the name a while back. I never changed the title in the Coming Attractions thread, and I just forgot about it after a while. So just remember, if you stumble across MS One: Maximum Security in that thread, you’re watching the trailer for Lockout.

Well, that little piece of information is out of the way, and it‘s time for the review!

Set in the year 2079, Lockout follows the story of Snow (Guy Pearce), a cocky government agent, who’s about to do time for a crime he didn’t commit. Snow is blamed for the murder of a high profiled Colonel, and rescuing the President’s daughter from a hostile prison takeover could be his only shot at freedom. Emilie Warnock’s (Maggie Grace) goodwill mission at MS: One (the floating maximum security prison in outer space) was suppose to be a simple task, but when Hydell (one of the more psychotic prisoners on MS: One) gets his hands a gun, things take a drastic turn for the worst. The prisoners are now in control of MS: One, Emilie is being used as hostage bait, and Snow must save the President’s daughter, if he wants to avoid a thirty year prison sentence.

Guy Pearce is the major highlight of this film. The most entertaining scenes involve his character, and everything does feel pretty bland and ordinary, when he’s not around. Pearce had the perfect look for an action hero, and he was very comfortable with his character throughout this film. Snow was an asshole, but he could still be a very likable character. Snow was smooth. He could fight, when the situation called for it, but Snow also had a sense of humor, and he does provide the bulk of the laughs here. Pearce brought so much charisma to this character, and his performance was just excellent.

I want to like Maggie Grace. I really do, but she hasn’t shown me anything special, since Lost ended. I’ll always see Shannon, when I look at her, because her performances in the movie world haven’t done anything for me. Grace just seems like an average actress, but she will continue to receive roles in Hollywood. She is a gorgeous woman, and she can always play the piece of eye candy, who may have some depth in her character. As far as Lockout goes, she was okay here. As usual, Grace didn’t blow me away with her performance, but she was decent enough. Grace barely did enough to convince me, but she was believable, as the innocent woman, who was trying to do the right thing, but eventually finds herself stuck in a deadly situation, with no possible escape.

Also, the Hydell character was kind of annoying. Yeah, I get it. He’s supposed to be a bloodthirsty lunatic, who can’t control his urges for killing, but Joseph Gilgun’s performance was so over the top. This character’s disfigured look didn’t feel intimidating, because Gilgun delivered too many unintentional funny moments. It felt like he was trying too hard, but Alex (Hydell’s brother) was a lot more tolerable. Alex (Vincent Regan) was the leader of the prison revolt, and he could control his temper. Alex was a smart antagonist. He wanted to come up with a strategy for the takeover, and Regan was convincing, because he really did look like the leader for the gang of prisoners. I just wish I could’ve seen more of Regan, and less of Gilgun.

Lockout could’ve been so much better, but unfortunately, they just settled for your typical Hollywood style sci-fi/thriller. The special effects look great, Stephen St. Leger and James Mather did a fine job with directing, and they were able to provide some excitement for Lockout. But the screenplay feels so formulaic and predictable. You can see everything coming from a mile away, and the obvious twists and turns were very disappointing. Still, Lockout can be an entertaining film. It’s an enjoyable sci-fi/thriller, the action sequences are fun to watch, and Lockout is loaded with some very impressive visuals. And Guy Pearce’s performance is worth the price of admission. He really steals the show here, and this film does feature one of his better performances.

Audition(1999)
Director: Takashi Miike
Starring: Ryo Ishibashi Eihi Shiina

This is.... unsettling.

I went into this film expecting a bunch of sexual torture scenes, what I got instead was something much more brutal. The plot is about a man and his son who have lost the matriarch of the family years prior to the begging of the story. Shigeharu Aoyama (Ishibashi) the widower, seeks to use his job in the film making industry to make him happy by getting him in a relationship. His friend Yasuhisa Yoshikawa convinces him to hold an audition for the film, in which he would have to pick one of the female try-outs. Even prior to that he sees a file of one of them and becomes interested. When this seemingly harmless and beautiful girl Asami Yamazakin(Shiina) decides auditions he is captivated and falls in love. After some very disturbing back story revelations of the child abuse she suffered as a child she informs him that he is to love no one else but her. Foolishly he agrees not knowing that would include not loving a single soul (including anyone in his family) in the world but her. This later leads to him being stalked by her to and a brief journey to discover her past. After encountering the male figure that burned her legs as a child, he returns to his home to find himself in a trance. That of which includes the discovery of a sack in Yamazaki's house containing a body, and a scene were a work assistant preforms ******io on him. Yamazaki seeking vengeance for Shigeharu's love for his son breaking his promise breaks into his house and from here on out it's more brutal torture and a heroic ending.

Wow, I read that many people upon the premier were disgusted by the content of the torture scenes (specifically a the man in in the sack gladly consuming Yamazaki's vomit that she purged into a dog bowl). The story is not as exciting as it looks on paper. The majority of the movie is very slow and takes it's time building up to the torture fest. For the most this is very boring and at some points makes you wonder if the last portion of the film is worth it. It is, the fast paced and disturbing scenes are worth sitting through the passive start and middle. I like the acting, the supporting characters are not that great but the two lovers and stars are great in their roles. Especially Shiina who plays a seemingly shy, but secretly deranged beauty. Of course the special are not at all exhibited until the final portion of the film. As for the story overall, I say it's interesting enough to make you want to watch and sit through the initially bad execution, until it gets great later on.

Good film, not for the weak-hearted or squeamish but entertaining nonetheless: 7/10

1911(2011)[/B]
Director: Jackie Chan, Zhang Li
Starring: Jackie Chan, and Winston Chao

Any film featuring Jackie Chan is bound to be action packed, and this is no different.

The movie is about the Xinhai Revolution, a pivotal era in Chinese history. Chan plays Huang Xing a revolutionay intent of freeing China form the Qing Dynasty. Along with Sun Yat-sen (Chao) and Xu Zonghan (Bingbing) they take action in the failed Guangzhou Uprising and proceed to further the stakes with a full blown revolution. After taking trips to the Untied States to advertise the cause Chao and the others take military action. From here on out for the most we saw battles and encounters with Qing soldiers that ends in of course victory. The last part of the film centers on the new government and how in China will be run.

There is really not too much to say here. It's an action film that focuses more on a big atmosphere than having much of a story. It aviods the more sensitive topics that lead to the revolution and focuses more on the portion of the film where Chao trying to get people to support the cause of the revolution. The acting is pretty decent but the emotion is all over the place. As with any war film there are moments of violent screams, then those of quiet thinking places. The special effects are very uplifting compared to the mostly grim tone of the movie. Again there is not much to say here it's take it or leave it: 6/10

The Avengers/Avengers Assemble (2012)

This film is the culmination of four years work, starting with Iron Man and resulting in the Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America. This film will change Marvel films' outlook on their film franchise one way or another. On a personal note, I have been buzzing about this film and waiting for so long to see it, and I went in with ridiculously high expectations, and was prepared to be disappointed. Bear that in mind in my conclusion.

The Plot

Loki (baddie from Thor) returns to Earth looking for the Tesseract (HYDRA's power source from Captain America, and Asgardian artifact) and threatens the planet with an army of aliens. Nick Fury is tasked with recruiting Tony Stark, Steve Rodgers, Bruce Banner and Loki's brother Thor, in order to quell the threat.

Surprisingly, the plot to this couldn't be simpler; bad guy comes to Earth, Earth needs defending. And there is nothing at all wrong with that. If anything, it focuses the film more, and allows for more character development along with the story. Loki as the mastermind baddie is majestic, and individually he stacks up against each Avenger well, playing on the idea of them having to unite together.

The plot allows for each Avenger to have his own central plot-point; Rodgers is still adjusting to life in the future, and is automatically thrust into combat, Banner is struggling with his life as a walking timebomb, Iron Man has just created a pioneering Arc Reactor to power his new tower in New York, and Thor is at conflict with his brothers misdemeanours. But the true gem in this is the two 'regular' people; Black Widow and Hawkeye. Their relationship in this film is a wonderful thing to behold, and the plot covers a lot of groud with them without having to do much, or dedicate a lot of time to it. But by the end, they are just as important as the rest of the team.

The Performance

Holy mother of God where do I start? First off, there wasn't a single bad or mediocre performance in this. Every actor involved brought his/her A-game into this.
Chris Evans continued to impress me as Cap; he really embodies the image of the American war hero in a time that isn't his own perfectly.
Chris Hemsworth's Thor is much matured since his film, and he brings a brutish intensity along with an absorbing charm in his delivery.
Robert Downey Jr. brings his A-game, and brings out his best performance as ol' shellhead yet, with incredible delivery, hilarious mannerisms and an almost schoolboy-ish cheekyness.
This was an interesting film to debut a new actor for Hulk (not that they had a choice) with the job Edward Norton did in the 2008 film. But Mark Ruffalo doesn't just deliver, he goes over and beyond that and makes the Hulk his own. He brings a new level to Banner; a social recluseness that wasn't seen in Nortons Hulk, which fits brilliantly, and is superbly acted.
Samuel L. (Motherfuckin') Jackson does his bit as the kick-ass director of SHIELD. He's the man who gives these incredible people the shove they need to work together and kick ass. What helps is that Jackson was the inspiration behind the Ultimate version of Nick Fury, so this part is pretty much tailor made for him. And he sure doesn't disappoint.
Scarlett Johansson nearly steals the show for me as Black Widow, bringing a well-hidden vulnerability into the hard-as-nails shell, and is a believable secret agent/assassin. Her biggest strength is her chemistry with Romanov's best friend Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner). Renner is the hero with the least amount of screen-time leading up to this point, but the film does a great job of selling his abilities as a master archer, cementing him on equal footing with the others, and making us care about him. And Renner's performance makes you connect with the character, and what he goes through. The relationship between these two is one born out of one important choice, one moment in both of their lives, and from it spawns this bond, and it's this that in any other film would steal the show.

The performance that does steal the show however, is that of Tom Hiddleston (Loki). His performance is beyond any other in the film, and if everything else in the film was to be average, his role would be the blinding light of awesomeness in the middle. Loki has matured a lot since Thor, and he has become somewhat of a sadistic monster, with a twisted ideology of freedom under his rule. His motivation is simple; he wants to be King of Earth, but his route to getting there shows off Hiddleston as the fantastic actor he is.

Rating: 10/10

The Script

JOSS. FUCKING. WHEDON.

I've only recently become a Whedon fan, but he understands a number of things about plots in television and movies. Critically; how to pace a story, how to structure a story, and how to balance a film. As mentioned before; EVERY main character has their time. And they do it without the film ever becoming solely about them. In a film this size, with so many factors that could direct a film being about one particular character, this is a REMARKABLE feat.

The script is beautiful. Crisp, snappy, incredibly witty, it burns through the plot in 2 hours 23 minutes, but when you consider that it includes four individual heroes, two newer ones, their boss AND a supervillain, along with all of their own personal stories involved, that is incredible. It does feel like 2 and a bit hours, but it feels like 2 and a bit hours very well spent.

The dialogue is one of the strongest parts of this. Whedon just gets it. He knows how to make something funny, but not so much that it dominates the intensity. Some of the lines (watch the small clips on Youtube and the trailer) are laugh-out-loud hilarious, and some fo the scenes are eye-meltingly good. In one scene, Black Widow is called in during the middle of an interrogation, and the way it is written makes you laugh, and be completely unable to take your eyes off the ass-kickery that happens.

The writing of the huge action set-pieces is also top-notch; every opportunity is taken to make everything look as amazing and, oddly, as realistic as it possibly can.

The true delight with the script though is how lean and tight this film is. Whedon has written (and directed) an incredibly tight film that surprises when it needs to, makes you laugh without making that the main focus, blows your head off with amazing action, and makes you genuinely care about a group of vastly different characters.

Rating: 10/10

The Visual

Well, just...wow. Iron Man looked amazing, as usual, but his new armour (Mark XXVIII or something) is a huge step up. Thor's lightning looked pretty, and was something that oddly was lacking in his own film. To see him use lightning more here was a good thing, and it looked awesome.

The alien race looked alright, nothing flashy, but they were pawns to be used by Loki. they didn't need to be anything than different and imposing; all of which they fit. But the New York fight sequence was breath-taking, and was a complete and utter joy to watch.

The real joy here though, was Hulk. Ruffalo did the motion capture work himself, meaning he is the first and only person ever to play both Banner and Hulk. Hulk looks absolutely brilliant, the transformation looks brutal, and seeing him fly through the air smashing shit up (including one of the finest moments ever, which made the cinema I was in stand up and applaud in unison) is a joy to watch.

The Verdict

Holy sweet mother of god. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a film as much. As I said earlier, I hyped this film up so much, I was convinced it wouldn't live up to my expectations. It more than surpassed it, and that is saying something. Joss Whedon's touch on this film is the primary reason for this; he brings a beautiful amount of fun that is severely lacking in The Dark Knight, yet still brings the drama in bucketloads, and marvellous set pieces that blow your mind, even on the second time of watching. Every character is treated like a superstar, and everything is wound so tight that you can sense just how much everyone involved with this film enjoyed it. It'd be impossible not to. Believable heroes you grow to care about played by one of the best casts I've ever seen, kick-ass action, and a genius writer/director in Whedon. this is film-making at its absolute finest.

In my mind, this is easily the greatest comic book film ever made (yeah, fuck you Dark Knight). I'm tempted to go a stretch further in fact; this is quite possibly one of the best films released this year, if not for a very long time. Don't believe me? Go watch it, I emplore you.

Overall Rating: 38/40

21 Jump Street

Starring: Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum

OMG, this has to be one of the funniest films I have seen in a long time! It has been ages since I laughed so much at a film, and I laughed just as hard when I went back to see it at the cinema a second time.

Jenko (Tatum) and Schimdt (Hill) are rookie cops, who hated each other in school (Jenko was a popular jock and Schmidt was a loser nerd), who end up becoming friends at the Police Academy. They are sent to work at a department on 21 Jump Street with a crazy black Police Chief (Ice Cube, who is HILARIOUS!) and their assignment is to go undercover as High School students to bring down the suppliers of a new "party drug" that has become popular.

I am not going to go too far into details to spoil it for anyone, but there are SO many funny scenes, I couldn't even try to tell you about all of them. Just wait for the scene when Jenko and Schmidt take the drug themselves, I was crying with laughter!

I wasn't expecting too much from this film, but it really really surprised me. Jonah Hill is back on his Superbad form, after quite a few poor movies, and I didn't think Channing Tatum would be as funny as he was- he was brilliant and impressed me alot!

Plus, there is a cameo at the end of the movie that will suprise you!

Rating: A must see comedy for anyone who loved things like Role Models, Superbad etc.

9/10

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) 9/10- After escaping a cult, Martha (Elizabeth Olsen) searches for help, and a normal life with her sister, Lucy (Sarah Paulson). Fitting in proves to be a difficult task for Martha, and the memories of her cult family continue to haunt her.

Elizabeth Olsen continues to impress me as an actress. She carried Silent House on her back, and Olsen delivered another high quality performance in Martha Marcy May Marlene. She really did put her heart and soul into the Martha character, and you can clearly see her unbelievable dedication here. Martha is this troubled woman, who can’t adjust to the real world. Martha tries to recover from the strict and abusive cult, but Martha is torn between two very different lifestyles. On one hand, Martha misses her cult family, and the severe brainwashing does have some lasting effects. Lucy wants to civilize Martha, but Martha continues to fight anyone, who tries to offer their help. I could feel sympathy for this character, and Olsen’s amazing performance is the true highlight of this film.

Martha Marcy May Marlene is a disturbing psychological thriller. MMMM gives you a nice mixture of emotional drama and terror, and the acting in this film is just superb. Also, I really enjoyed the clever editing here. You’ll see flashbacks of Martha’s life with her cult family, and then, the storyline shifts to the present. During the present day parts of the storyline, Martha endures a painful downward spiral, as she tries to become a normal person, and the flashbacks of the cult lifestyle do give you a better understanding of Martha’s struggles in the real world. Martha accepted the cult as her real family, and her mind was corrupted by the cult leader, Patrick (John Hawkes).

And where did Sean Durkin come from? Martha Marcy May Marlene features Durkin’s directorial debut, and Durkin also wrote the screenplay for this film. The writing is just excellent, but Durkin really took everything to the next level on the directing side of things. Durkin provided the essential haunting atmosphere, and Durkin’s precise directing enhanced the feelings of paranoia and fear.

Martha Marcy May Marlene is an outstanding psychological thriller, and Elizabeth Olsen’s career is off to a nice start. I wish I could’ve seen more of John Hawkes, but I really don’t have any legit complaints about this film, and MMMM is more than capable of providing a memorable experience for anyone.

The Avengers - One of the best superhero movies of all time. All of the main 4 superheroes really shined. 9.8/10

Drive - Ryan Gossling stole the show in this. Really blown away by his performance and this movie. 9.7/10

The Crossing Guard (1995) 5/10- Freddy Gale (Jack Nicholson) has become a bitter and heartbroken man. It’s been five years since the tragic death of his young daughter, Emily and Freddy can’t escape his overwhelming grief and lust for revenge. He lost his wife, Mary (Anjelica Huston) to another man, and his two sons were taken away from him. Freddy continues to sulk through life as an angry alcoholic, but one main goal gives Freddy a reason to stay alive. John Booth (David Morse) is the drunk driver, who killed Freddy’s daughter, and he just received his release from prison. At first, Freddy is anxious to kill Booth. This is the man, who ruined Freddy’s life, and he wants revenge in the worst way, but during an awkward encounter, Freddy and Booth strike a deal: John will have three days to enjoy his time as a free man, and after that, Freddy will take his revenge, and kill Booth. Will Freddy fulfill his desires for revenge? Or will he give Booth a second chance?

Jack Nicholson is a miracle worker. You’ll see a pair of solid performances from Angelica Huston and David Morse, but Nicholson really steals the show here. He did such a wonderful job of portraying this broken man, who couldn’t let go of the past. Freddy Gale is a miserable man. He sleeps with prostitutes, he’s an angry drunk most of the time, and Gale’s selfishness destroys every relationship in his life. Freddy Gale can be a hateful and cruel man, and you really get a chance to see the dark side of his character in this clip:

[YOUTUBE]hKNSpQwCIdA[/YOUTUBE]

After a frightening nightmare, Freddy seeks the comfort of his ex-wife. But when Mary shows “pity” for Freddy, the peaceful reunion takes a turn for the worst. Freddy’s vulnerability quickly fades away, and he shows the ugly side of his personality. At times, I could feel sympathy for this character, but Freddy Gale did have a nasty side, and Nicholson’s phenomenal performance was very convincing.

Nicholson is superb, and his performance does save this film, because The Crossing Guard could’ve been a lot worse without him. The Crossing Guard features a tragic story, but I couldn’t feel a strong emotional impact during this film, and Sean Penn didn’t help anything. Penn is the director for this film, and he also wrote the screenplay. His bland style of directing just sucks the life out of this film, the dreary atmosphere for The Crossing Guard can feel so depressing, and Penn’s use of slow motion almost gave me a headache.

Also, the direction of the story was very unclear most of the time. Freddy Gale wants revenge, and Booth tries to cherish his last days on Earth. But along the way, Booth falls in love with JoJo (Booth first meets JoJo at a friend’s welcome home party), and we get an in-depth look at Freddy’s “love life.” Freddy builds relationships with one too many prostitutes. A prostitute closer to Freddy’s age tries to build a real relationship with him, but Freddy shuts her out. And Freddy doesn’t respond to the advances from a younger prostitute. John Booth only has three days to live, but his relationship with JoJo (Robin Wright) received too much time. It takes the focus off of John’s storyline with Freddy, and Freddy’s addiction to prostitutes begins to dominate his life. Revenge for his daughter’s death should be Freddy’s main priority, but the storyline for this character goes in a different direction, because Freddy can’t control his urges for hookers. The story loses a lot of focus throughout this film, and I almost forgot about Freddy’s quest for revenge at times.

The Crossing Guard should’ve worked, as an emotional story of revenge, but I didn’t care about the story. The story loses its direction too many times, and The Crossing Guard just turns into a bland and lifeless drama, that should’ve premiered on TV. This film features a story about a young girl, who was killed by a drunk driver. As far as emotions go, I should’ve been able to feel something, but I couldn’t. Jack Nicholson saves this from a lower score, because without him, my rating would’ve been much, much lower.

This isn’t my first time watching The Crossing Guard. Nicholson is my favorite actor of all time, and I’ve always had this strange obsession with The Crossing Guard. I always hold out hope for a better film, but I’m disappointed every time. Maybe I was too tired the first time around? Maybe I didn’t have the right mindset for this type of film? I come up with so many excuses, but The Crossing Guard is just a mediocre film at best. This is the cold, hard truth, and Jack Nicholson really carries this one. And when you think about the 90’s and Jack Nicholson, The Crossing Guard isn’t going to be the first film that pops in your mind. You’re going to think about A Few Good Men and As Good As It Gets. Both of these films feature two Oscar worthy performances (Nicholson actually won the Best Actor award for his performance in As Good As It Gets) from a great actor. Nicholson's career is loaded with some outstanding performances. After watching some of his other higher quality films, you’ll forget about The Crossing Guard. Why? Because Jack Nicholson is just that damn good.

Dark Shadows (2012) 5/10- It’s 1760, and Barnabas Collins (Johnny Depp) is happily in love with Josette du Pres (Bella Heathcote). Barnabas enjoys life in Collinsport, as the wealthy bachelor, and he continues to live a luxurious lifestyle, with the help of his parent’s money of course. Barnabas wants to spend the rest of his life with Jossette, but Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green) has other plans. Angelique is obsessed with Baranabas, but Collins isn’t in love with her. Well, Angelique is an evil and jealous witch, who practices black magic. She can’t handle the rejection, and Barnabas will have to suffer some serious consequences for Angelique’s broken heart. After destroying Baranabas’ life, she decides to turn him into a vampire. Angleique furthers her quest for vengeance by wrapping Barnabas in chains, and with the help of the townspeople, she locks him inside a coffin.

After two centuries, Barnabas is accidentally freed from his coffin prison, and after a brutal feeding frenzy, he returns to Collinsport. Barnabas was once a powerful and rich playboy. His parents were the owners of a very lucrative fishing port, and Barnabas was a respected member of the community, but times have changed.

Things are different in 1972, and Collinwood Manor has become an old, dusty, rundown mansion, and the Collins name has lost the great amount of respect it once had. Angel Bay Fishery is the #1 fishing port in town, and Angelique is the owner, who proudly destroyed the Collins’ family business. Barnabas wants to restore glory and pride to the Collins name, so he makes a deal with the matriarch of the modern day Collins family: Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Michelle Pfeiffer) agrees to keep Barnabas’ vampire identity a secret, and in return, Barnabas will use his secret fortune of jewelry to help the fishing port, and provide a much needed renovation for the mansion. But Angelique is still holding a grudge. She will do anything to posses Barnabas, and Angelique won’t take no for an answer.

Well, you’ll probably hate this film, if you’re a fan of the Dark Shadows gothic horror soap opera that ran from 1966 to 1971, because Tim Burton doesn’t make a real effort to pay homage to the TV series that inspired this film. Over the past few months, I’ve had the chance to watch a handful of episodes from the old Dark Shadows TV series, and I really enjoyed every episode. It’s a nice spooky horror show, that featured some good acting and writing, and most episodes did feature some shocking plot twists. I also caught a marathon of the 1991 revival of Dark Shadows on the Chiller channel. Not as good as the original series, but still enjoyable.

Dark Shadows is supposed to be a horror comedy, but this film isn’t scary at all. As far as the comedy goes, getting through any scene that didn’t involve Eva Green or Johnny Depp did feel like a real chore at times. Green and Depp provide the bulk of enjoyable humor in this film, but Dark Shadows couldn’t provide consistent laughs.

Dark Shadows couldn’t satisfy me as a horror film, and this film was mildly entertaining as a comedy. Yeah, my score for this film is probably a little high, because Dark Shadows deserves worse. But I can’t deny how much I enjoyed the cast here. Johnny Depp’s routine as the awkward vampire, who couldn’t adjust to the modern world was just hilarious. Depp could provide laughs, but he could also showcase as a serious side, as a cold and viscous vampire killer. Angelique is a sultry witch, but Green could also bring out the nasty bitch inside of Angelique. She was able to bring some sex appeal to this character, and Green’s performance was just fantastic. Michelle Pfeiffer really nailed the matriarch character, and Chloë Grace Moretz was very believable, as the disgruntled and rebellious teenage girl with issues. Jonny Lee Miller (Roger) really did look like the sleazy thief, who would do anything for money. And Helena Bonham Carter provided another enjoyable performance as Dr. Julia Hoffman.

The cast is superb, and Dark Shadows does feature some great acting, but Tim Burton really dropped the ball here. Am I watching a horror film? Is this supposed to be a full blown comedy? Or is Tim Burton trying to turn this into a gothic soap opera? These questions continued to pop into my mind throughout the film, and Dark Shadows really doesn’t have a true identity. Burton’s eccentric imagination runs wild here, and his bizarre vision did feel confusing most of the time.

Burton’s wackiness was bad enough, and the story was a complete mess. In the early stages of this film, the audience learns about the troubles of the youngest member of the family, David Collins (Gulliver McGrath). Nobody believes David’s sightings of a ghost, and Elizabeth hires a mysterious drifter to help him. Victoria Winters (Bella Heathcote) becomes David’s governess, and she tries to help David….but as the story progresses, David and his sightings of ghosts become an afterthought. The focus shifts towards the rivalry between Barnabas and Angelique, and David’s storyline slowly fades away. Also, there’s a mystery surrounding Victoria, and she eventually becomes Barnabas’ love interest, so you have to add Victoria to the overload of storylines in this film.

They tried to cram so many storylines into this film, and Dark Shadows couldn’t maintain any sort of continuity. Am I really supposed to forget about a 10 year old kid, who sees ghost? But wait! That’s not important anymore, because we have to develop another storyline with Barnabas and Victoria! Ugh.

Luckily, Dark Shadows features another strong performance from Johnny Depp, and the entire supporting cast was fantastic. Also, Dark Shadows features some impressive visuals, and the CGI effects were excellent. This was a big disappointment for me, because Dark Shadows could’ve been so much better. They had some great source material to work with, but Tim Burton directing really hurt this one, and he couldn’t produce a coherent film. Dark Shadows ranks very low on my list of Burton/Depp collaborations. For years, Corpse Bride has been my pick for the worst Depp/Burton collaboration, but Dark Shadows does provide some serious competition.

Dark Tide (2012) 2/10- Kate Mathieson (Halle Berry) enjoys her life, as a highly skilled marine biologist and diver. Kate earned a well respected reputation as the “shark whisperer” during her swimming adventures with Great White Sharks, but during a routine dive, Kate makes a fatal mistake. Her incorrect command causes the death of a friend and fellow diver, and Kate can’t escape the guilt of this tragic accident.

One year later, Kate is trying to move on, and pick up the broken pieces in her life. Kate is the owner of boat tour service in Cape Town, South Africa, but Kate can’t handle the thought of dealing with sharks anymore. Instead, she gives tours for the more friendly sea creatures (seals, whales, dolphins, etc.), but past due bills are becoming a serious problem. Kate is desperate, broke, and down on her luck, but her husband/business partner could provide some much needed help. Jeff Mathieson (Oliver Martinez) has found a rich and cocky client, who is willing to spend a lot of money for a sea tour….but Brady Ross (Ralph Brown) wants to see sharks, and Kate‘s expert guidance is required. Brady is more than willing to take the risk, but Kate isn’t ready to deal with sharks again. She can’t escape the memories of the attack, and she continues to hold a grudge against Jeff, but Kate needs the money, so she agrees to do the tour. But the simple tour eventually takes a turn for the worst, and Kate will have to face her fears of sharks, because returning to the water becomes an inescapable life or death decision.

Boring. This is the one word I would use to describe Dark Tide. This was supposed to be a suspense/thriller, but trying to stay awake during this film was a real test. I almost fell asleep three of four times, because Dark Tide couldn’t provide any real suspense or thrills for me. John Stockwell’s horribly bland style of directing really hurt this film, and Dark Tide just goes through the motions the entire time. You can see everything coming from a mile away, and for me, Dark Tide didn’t provide an enjoyable ride to the end. Dark Tide has a runtime of one hour and fifty-four minutes, and you will feel every second of it, because this film just drags along, and the painful boredom caused too many facepalms for me. “OH GOD, WHEN WILL THIS END!?!?!” This is the one question I kept asking myself throughout this film, because the story for Dark Tide doesn’t feature a lot of depth. Nearly two hours was too much to handle, and they really didn’t need this much time to explain the shallow and thin story for Dark Tide.

For the most part, the acting is solid enough. Halle Berry, Oliver Martinez, and Ralph Brown provided the bulk of enjoyable performances. Berry wasn’t bad as the leading lady here, but she wasn’t the true star of this film. That honor goes to Ralph Brown. Brady was the rich, narcissistic, asshole, who loved to throw his weight around, and Brown’s performance was just excellent. Again, Berry wasn’t bad in the lead role, but she was upstaged by Ralph Brown here. There’s no doubt about it.

Also, I couldn’t buy into Kate’s struggle here. Kate was supposed to be this traumatized woman, who couldn’t let go of the past, and she couldn’t overcome her fear of sharks, but I couldn’t sense any sort of conflict in this character. Berry doesn’t show any strong emotions until the very end of the film. Considering the circumstances surrounding her character, I should’ve been able to feel strong feelings of sympathy towards Kate, but I couldn’t. Berry managed to deliver a solid performance, but at times, I couldn’t escape this “she’s just mailing it in” feeling.

And Kate’s unbelievably stupid decision towards the end did provide a jaw-dropping moment for me, but not for good reasons, though……
Okay, so Kate is terrified of sharks, and she can’t escape the guilt of causing someone else’s death. Well, we’re in the final moments of the film, and Brady has become a real jerk. He can’t smoke a cigarette to calm his nerves (Kate doesn’t allow smoking on her boat, but she doesn’t have a problem, when Jeff lights up a cigarette? Okay then.), and Kate won’t allow him to swim with the sharks. If Brady goes in the water, he MUST stay in a cage. This is Kate’s #1 rule. But Brady wants to be a rebel, and he continues to push Kate’s buttons. After Brady’s taunting and an intense argument with Jeff, Kate decides to take the crew (which includes Brady’s son, Luke) to a different location. The new location is FILLED with sharks, Kate has been pushed over the edge, and she wants to prove herself to Brady and Jeff.

Kate tries to showcase her new found courage, but the boat runs into a series of rough waves. Kate’s boat eventually flips over, and the hungry sharks begin to close in. Kate’s goofy and trusted friend (apparently, he’s in charge of safety on Kate’s boat, and no, I don‘t care to know his name.) loses his life during a shark attack. Brady tries to avoid one of the shark attacks, but he suffers one of the more gruesome deaths here. In the end, Kate, Jeff, and Luke (Luke Tyler) survive, and they’re able to find safe shelter inside a liferaft, as they await a much needed rescue mission.

So let me get this straight. At the beginning of the film, Kate is responsible for the death of a teammate. Then, towards the end of the film, she causes TWO more deaths? Really??? Yeah, I get it. Brady and Jeff pushed her over the edge, and she had to prove herself. But why would you lead an innocent group of people towards shark infested waters? You’re a marine biologist, who specializes in sharks. You know what could happen, and you know the incredible risk involved. Plus, you already survived an incident, that involved a death caused by a shark attack, and you STILL take everyone towards the sharks regardless? Unbelievable.

In the end, the Kate character didn’t learn anything, and she didn’t find any redemption. And how could she overcome her fears of sharks? After all, she did cause the deaths of two more people, and her stupid decision was the main the reason for their demise. The boredom was bad enough, and Dark Tide’s nonsensical screenplay just made everything worse.

Dark Tide is a dull and boring suspense thriller, that features too many long-drawn-out conversations/arguments, and I really didn’t care about any of the characters in this film. I couldn’t get into the story, and the ending really doesn’t make any sense at all. A few brutal and bloody shark attacks/kills towards the end did help this rating a little bit, and they did throw in somemoments of suspense at the end, but I can’t forget about the rest of the film. Dark Tide is just terrible, and this film deserves all of its harsh treatment. It’s a shame, because Dark Tide has a simple enough premise for an enjoyable suspense/thriller, but the screenplay and John Stockwell’s style of directing ruined this film.

Halle Berry is the same woman, who won the Oscar for Best Actress ten years ago, right? For years Berry relied on her sex appeal, but her good looks didn’t win the Oscar for Monster’s Ball. No. It was raw talent, and Berry did give an outstanding effort in Monster’s Ball. But when I take a look at Berry’s body of work, I‘m going to think of someone, who fits the profile of a “one hit wonder.” Her work in the 90’s is VERY forgettable, she has to be remembered as the most uninteresting Bond girl (Die Another Day), and she can’t take any credit for the first two X-Men films. After winning the Oscar for Monster’s Ball, Berry’s career sunk to embarrassing lows. She’s been caught in an awful downward spiral for years. This is an indisputable fact. Perfect Stranger and Catwoman were horrendous (especially Catwoman), and Things We Lost In The Fire was an unbearable piece of melodramatic trash. Also, having a part in New Year’s Eve didn’t help anything. Unlike the overwhelming majority of the critics, I actually enjoyed Gothika. It was an enjoyable horror flick, that featured an incredible and shocking twist, but one film isn’t enough.

Berry isn’t an awful actress. She’s solid enough, and she does look pretty good for a forty-five year old woman, but the vast majority of her career isn’t impressive at all. She’s starred in so many bad films (can’t forget about B.A.P.S), and Catwoman is a potential career killer. Hell, Berry actually showed up to accept her Razzie Award for the Worst Actress in person. Actresses and actors accepting their Razzie Award in person is a very rare occurrence (for obvious reasons), and Berry willingy showing up to accpet this award should tell you something about Catwoman. Catwoman was atrocious, and it’s hard to argue against Berry’s win for Worst Actress, but Dark Tide almost out ranks Catwoman for the #1 spot of worst films on Berry’s resume. Yeah, it’s that bad.

A Lonely Place To Die (2011) 7/10- During a routine hiking trip, a group of friends/mountaineers accidentally stumble across a wooden chamber in the ground. Inside, they find a young Seriban girl buried alive, and the group of mountaineers instantly suspect a kidnapping. Naturally, the young Serbian girl is terrified, and she doesn’t trust the strangers, who are trying to help her. The group of mountaineers still offer their help regardless, but when the kidnappers return to claim their ransom, the amateur rescue mission quickly takes a turn for the worst. The kidnappers will kill anyone, who interferes with their chances of a cash prize, and Alison (Melissa George) will have to risk her life to save the Serbian girl.

The Scottish Highlands provided the perfect setting for A Lonely Place To Die. The steep, dangerous mountain ranges, the eerie silence of a vast region, and the seemingly endless wilderness provides a strong sense of fear, as the kidnappers hunt their prey. The main characters are cut off from civilization, and as time passes by, finding help from other people becomes an impossible task. The atmosphere of the Scottish Highlands enhances the panic and heartbreak throughout this film, and these feelings become stronger, during agonizing and emotional death scenes.

A Lonely Place To Die is a very solid thriller, that features some great suspense and tension, especially during the final moments. They did throw in some gore every now and then, but the bloody stuff never reaches extreme gross-out levels. This was a smart approach, because the violence didn’t overshadow the important plot points of the storyline. Julian Gilbey (the director for this film) delivered a strong life threatening survival story, and his solid directing was a nice touch here. Overall, the acting is decent enough, and Melissa George provided a convincing performance with the leading role. A Lonely Place To Die will give you an emotional, gut-wrenching thrill ride from beginning to end, and I couldn’t pull my self away from the TV screen, as the survivors struggled to find safety and help. I really enjoyed this film, and A Lonely Place To Die has earned a spot on my list of 2011 favorites.

Chernobyl Diaries (2012) 3/10- Chris (Jesse McCartney) travels to Kiev, Ukraine for a brief visit with his brother, Paul (Johnathan Sadowski). Amanda (Devin Kelley) and Chris’ girlfriend, Natalie (Olivia Taylor Dudley) accompany him on the trip, and the small group of friends try to enjoy a peaceful vacation. Chris has plans of proposing marriage to Natalie in Moscow, Russia, but Paul changes everything with one bright idea.

Paul decides to take the group on an extreme tour to the ruined town of Pripyat. The abandoned town of Pripyat suffered severe damage after the tragic explosion of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, but Paul wants to give his brother an unforgettable adventure. Michael (Nathan Phillips) and Zoe (Ingrid Bolsø Berdal) are two curious backpackers, who eventually join the tour, and Uri ( Dimitri Diatchenko) is the trusted tour guide. Uri runs into a little trouble at first, but he finds a way to sneak his group of customers into the town of Pripyat by using a backdoor entrance.

Uri’s tour lives up to the hype at first, but along the way, Uri begins to display signs of suspicious behavior. After an unpleasant surprise, Uri decides to end the tour early, but the group returns to a startling discovery, when they find Uri’s van. The wires have been destroyed, and the group is stranded in the abandoned town of Pripyat. But the lack of transportation isn’t their biggest problem. Dangerous stray dogs and bloodthristy mutants stalk the tourists, and the group must avoid the deadly levels of radiation, if they want to escape Pripyat alive.

Chernobyl Diaries should’ve been the perfect horror film, right? The true backstory of the Chernobyl disaster provides a strong sense of realism, the acting is pretty solid, and this film does feature some good scares every now and then, so where did they go wrong? Well, Chernobyl Diaries isn’t a complete train wreck, but this film does feature a good amount of noticeable problems. First of all, the overwhelming amount of stupidity can become very annoying after a while. Let’s review the series of dumb choices throughout Chernobyl Diaries:

1. Hiring Uri as a tour guide- There’s something fishy about this guy. Uri promises the group of tourists a clear and unobstructed path to Pripyat…..but when they finally reach the town, the tour group runs into a security checkpoint with military guards? Uri tries to talk one of the guards into giving him a free pass, and as he argues with one guard, another guard circles the van. The armed guard gives the tour group this mean “what the fuck are you doing here?” look, but none of them see this as a sign of serious trouble? Uri gets back in the van, and apparently the guards are having problems with his clearance on this particular day? Anyway, Uri sneaks the group through some rundown backdoor entrance to Pripyat, and the tour begins.

Clearly, Uri is lying. He isn’t welcome, and the guards don’t know him, so why would you continue to trust this man? Oh, and during the tour, Uri goes out of his way to hide signs of radiation poison. This guy is just a sleazy con artist, and he will do anything for some quick cash. Some of the tourists (mainly Chris) begin to suspect something, but they STILL trust this guy with their lives. Unbelievable

2. I don’t have a gun, but I’m still going to follow you!- The survivors are trapped inside the van at night. It’s pitch dark, but the group hears weird noises in the distance. Uri pulls out a flashlight and a gun, and he decides to investigate the strange sounds. Uri rushes to find the source of the noises…and Chris follows him? Okay, Uri has a GUN, and Chris doesn’t have anything to protect himself, but he follows Uri into the dark regardless? Really??? Uri fires a series of wild shots, but he can’t survive a deadly attack. Uri disappears, and Paul rushes to rescue his brother. Chris returns with a gruesome injury, and Uri disappears without a trace.

3. It’s nighttime, cannibals/mutants are stalking us, so let’s stay in the car with one gun-After an attack from mutants and stray dogs, Chris suffers a severe injury. He must endure the excruciating pain of a mutilated leg. Uri is gone (finally), and the group needs to find help fast. The team of survivors quickly organize a group, and this group will search for help. Chris wants to go…but the pain of his injured leg is just too much. He can’t put any weight on it, and he doesn’t want to drag the team down, so he decides to stay in the van? Oh, and his loyal girlfriend, Natalie decides to stay with him. And to top it off, Paul gives Natalie the only gun for protection. Of course, as Paul and the other survivors search for help, Chris and Natalie are abducted by mutants (gee, what a surprise). Paul and the rest of the group return to the van. The van is now officially damaged beyond repair, Chris and Natalie are gone, and naturally, Paul freaks out, and starts to blame himself.

Wow… just wow. Okay, Chris is injured. I get that, but you’re going to have to carry him at some point. You’re stranded in an abandoned town with mutants, who are literally trying to eat you. You don’t have time to leave people behind. Natalie and Chris were sitting ducks in the middle of nowhere. One gun with an injured guy, and a terrified girlfriend VS a pack of hungry mutants? Yeah, it’s not hard to predict the winner of this particular fight. There’s always strength in numbers, and the group of survivors would’ve had a better chance of protecting Chris, if they stuck together. Also, Paul and the search group could’ve avoided a lot of trouble from the attacking stray dogs, but they left the only weapon that could do some real damage with the injured brother and a petrified Natalie. Ugh.

The gun, plus greater numbers gives you a better fighting chance, but no. They just had to pull the typical “let’s split up!” bullshit.

I’m sorry, but I can’t feel any sympathy for stupid characters, and Chernobyl Diaries takes stupidity to a whole new level. “Are they trying to die?” I constantly asked myself this question throughout the film, and the answer was a resounding “YES!” every time. You’re stuck in a life threatening situation. I’m supposed to be rooting for your survival, but I couldn’t wait for the certain deaths of the main characters in this one. Next to the mutants, the main cast of characters were their own worst enemy. Paul is an idiot and a douchebag, and every other character lacks common sense.

At first, I did have high hopes for Chernobyl Diaries. The early stages of this film featured some great tension, the jump scares felt surprising, and the abandoned town of Pripyat provided the perfect chilling atmosphere. But then I started to notice the stupidity of the main characters. Chernobyl Diaries delivered some great scares early on, but as time progressed, painful boredom killed all of the momentum for this film. Chernobyl Diaries will give you some spooky moments, but the terror eventually fades away and unfortunately, any hopes for a good horror film are flushed down the toilet. You’ll have to suffer through a series of uninteresting and tiresome chase scenes, as the main characters continuously run from the mutants. “Oh, look. They’re running from the mutants…..again.” The constant barrage of chase scenes quickly turn into dull snoozefests, and I really forced myself to stay awake during the final moments of this film.

Oren Peli and the Van Dyke brothers (Shane and Carey) wrote the screenplay for this one, and they really dropped the ball here. Bradley Parker didn’t do a bad job on the directing side of things, but the screenplay is just atrocious. It’s a real shame, because Peli and the Van Dyke brothers did have some great source material to work with.

I could sense a great amount of potential at first, but Chernobyl Diaries eventually devolves into your typical below average mainstream horror film, filled with predictable horror clichés, and moronic characters. Foolishly, I clinged to a shred of hope during this film. “It has to get better. It can’t be this bad. Chernobyl Diaries is going to pick up again at some point.” My feelings of hope were crushed, and I struggled to find some positive highlights, because the bad really outweighs the good here. Too much stupidity, painful boredom, a handful of unanswered questions, and the lame ending didn’t help anything. I guess they were going for a terrifying cliffhanger, but Chernobyl Diaries already lost my attention by that point, and I just didn’t give a shit anymore.

Chernobyl Diaries could’ve been that one delightful treat for horror fans in 2012, but I’m going to think of an awful and boring disappointment, when I remember this film.

Men In Black 3 (2012) 5/10- After escaping the LunarMax prison on Earth’s moon, Boris The Animal (Jemaine Clement) targets Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones). Boris is a feared and dangerous intergalactic criminal, and he plans on using time travel for revenge against K. In 1969, Boris plans to hunt down and kill the young and unsuspecting version of Agent K (Josh Brolin), but Agent J (Will Smith) also travels to the year 1969. Agent J must save his partner, but stopping Boris proves to be a difficult task. J must convince the younger and more suspicious version of his partner, because if he succeeds in his mission, Boris’ sinister plans will have deadly ramifications for Earth’s future.

Honestly, I didn’t expect anything great from this, and unfortunately, Men In Black 3 lived up to my low expectation levels. As usual, Barry Sonnenfeld proved to be a solid choice for the director of another Men In Black film. And I did laugh a few times, but for the most part, Men In Black 3 couldn’t entertain me. The humor did become stale pretty fast, and most of the corny jokes didn’t do anything for me. Etan Cohen, David Koepp, Jeff Nathanson, and Michael Soccio (the writers for this film) delivered your usual quirky and eccentric Men In Black script, but the screenplay falls flat after a while. The unfunny jokes and dull humor couldn’t produce consistent laughs for me, and the lame attempts at providing some entertaining comedy just bored me.

Although, MIB 3 does deserve some credit for the acting. Will Smith delivered a solid performance, Tommy Lee Jones doesn’t receive too much screen time, but he was enjoyable during his limited role here, and Josh Brolin was excellent. Brolin was the perfect clone for a younger Agent K, and he did a great job of capturing Jones’ mannerisms. Brolin nailed Agent K’s serious and emotionless persona, and as far as acting goes, Brolin was the true star of this film.

As far as Men In Black villains go, Boris The Animal reminded me of Edgar The Bug (the main villian from the first film). Boris was a strange, oddball villain, but Jemaine Clement could showcase the evil and dangerous side of Boris’ personality. Still, Boris really annoyed me. Clement was a decent enough villain, but he tried wayyyy too hard most of the time, and I couldn’t escape this feeling throughout the film.

I wanted to give Men In Black 3 a lower score, but Josh Brolin and the touching, sentimental moment towards the end (you’ll know what I’m talking about, if you decide to take a chance on this) changed my mind. Men In Black 3 is an improvement over MIB 2, but still, the third installment of this franchise just feels like a mediocre film. A ten year wait is a long time for any film, and Men In Black 3 couldn’t provide a satisfying payoff for me. I didn't experience any memorable moments, and this one will earn a spot on my list of disappointing films for 2012, because MIB 3 could‘ve been a lot better.

So Will Smith returns to acting after a four year hiatus, and this was supposed to be his big comeback film? Really??? I’m sorry, but MIB 3 isn’t going to erase Seven Pounds from my memory (Smith’s last film before his four year hiatus), and Smith’s upcoming sci-fi/thriller doesn’t sound too promising. After Earth co-stars his son, Jaden (gee, I wonder how he landed that role), and M. Night fucking Shyamalan is the director for this film, and he’s also one of the writers for the screenplay. Shyamalan is a terrible writer, and he’s produced so many stinkers over the years. I guess Smith finally gave up on his quest for an Oscar, but teaming up with M. Night Shyamalan could provide the direct cause of career suicide for Hollywood’s biggest box office draw. Smith is a talented actor, but the quality of his films continues to decline, and I’m starting to lose hope for one of my favorites.

Ohhhhhhh what a movie , full comedy movie . I just wan't to see this movie again and again . The character played an excellent role that' why the movie looks beautiful.

It is an actual stream grabber, so no encoding of the display. Works like a charm on a non-standard site I visited, that has a video that was deployed through a custom flash front-end

FImXvobwOKg2pt_1_d.jpg

Prometheus (2012) 9/10- During an expedition in the year 2089, Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) discovers a star map. Shaw is an archeologist. Her boyfriend, Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) shares the same profession, and he expresses genuine excitement during Elziabeth’s discovery. The star map showcases several ancient cultures, and in her mind, Elizabeth has found a welcoming “invitation.” Elizabeth and Charlie see an opportunity to find humanity’s “Engineers“, and with the help of an elderly and wealthy CEO, Charlie and Elizabeth’s dream adventure becomes a reality. Peter Weyland’s (Guy Pearce) vast fortune fuels the creation of the scientific spaceship Prometheus, and this ship will travel to moon LV-223. Here, Shaw, Holloway, and other explorers will search for the truth behind the cryptic star map. Fast forward to 2093, and Prometheus prepares to make its long awaited landing on moon LV-223. Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron) quickly declares herself the leader of the exploration, and tensions begin to rise amongst certain explorers, as an android named David (Michael Fassbender) monitors the situation with a close and unsuspecting eye. Eventually, the adventure takes a dark turn for the worst, and the explorers must battle a dangerous and elusive enemy for survival.

Welcome back Ridley Scott!

In 1979, Scott delivered a timeless sci-fi classic with Alien, and he delivered a marvelous sci-fi action/thriller with Blade Runner in 1982. But Scott’s career has been pretty shaky over the years. Gladiator was his last true hit…but that was in 2000. Since then, Scott has delivered a handful of disappointments. When it comes to Kingdom Of Heaven and Body Of Lies, I will defend Scott, because I thoroughly enjoyed both films, and they’re really not as bad as the critics make them out to be. Although, Scott did direct that massive piece of shit Robin Hood, Hannibal was mediocre at best, and American Gangster was just painfully boring. But Prometheus provides Scott’s much needed triumphant return to the science fiction genre.

Prometheus is loaded with plenty of awe-inspiring visuals, and Scott did a wonderful job of providing a haunting, bleak atmosphere, filled with terror, tension, and wonder. At times, Scott could slow everything down, and give the audience a chance to catch their breath, as the mystery of LV-223 unraveled, but he could also pack a powerful punch with some pulse-pounding suspense and action. Ridley Scott can still deliver the goods, and Scott really shows his true talents behind the camera with Prometheus.

Usually, I avoid 3D films like the plague, but when it comes to Prometheus, I don’t have any regrets. The 3D effects did provide a few “oooh and ahhh” moments, but Prometheus didn’t suffer from unnecessary 3D abuse. The 3D didn’t overshadow important plot points in the storyline, and the 3D effects never reach the level of an overused flashy gimmick. Ridley Scott knew when and how to use 3D (which is surprising, because Prometheus is Scott’s first and only 3D film), and a barrage of typical 3D tricks didn’t overshadow anything here. The 3D effects for Prometheus provided an enjoyable bonus attraction, and I actually enjoyed the limited approach here.

I expected top notch acting from this one, and Prometheus’ excellent cast didn’t disappoint. The casting for this film was just great, and everyone delivered a high quality performance. Noomi Rapace was fearless, strong, intelligent, and she really nailed the Elizabeth Shaw character. Michael Fassbender was the perfect choice for David. Fassbender provided this proper and meticulous persona for the only non-human member of the crew, and Fassbender played the part of a machine to perfection, as he portrayed the emotionless and obedient android. Meredith Vickers was a nasty control freak, who refused to take a backseat to anyone, and Charlize Theron delivered the essential personality of a mean, cold-hearted bitch. Janek is the captain of Prometheus, and Idris Elba did provide a very convincing performance. Janek was a smart character, who questioned dangerous decisions, but this character did have a sense of humor. Elba and Sean Harris (Fifield) provide most of the comic relief, and both men were able to bring a few laughs to Prometheus. Guy Pearce had some help from make-up effects, but he brought life to the Peter Weyland character. This character‘s screen time is VERY limited, but Pearce was believable, as this old, stubborn man with a massive ego. Also, Logan-Marshall Green provided another solid performance as Charlie Holloway.

Finding the perfect cast can be a tricky task, but Prometheus didn’t feature any cracks in the acting department. Nobody seemed out of place here, and everyone hit a nice comfort zone with their characters, especially Micahel Fassbender.

Prometheus is a thrilling and suspenseful sci-fi adventure. The action towards the end is just great, and this film features some good tension. The 3D doesn’t suffer from unnecessary abuse, and Prometheus is loaded with some very impressive visuals. And Noomi Rapace’s gut-wrenching (no pun intended) C-section scene did provide the highlight of this film for me. It was a disgusting, bloody, and graphic moment. This cringing scene has earned a spot on my list of memorable movie moments, and Rapace’s acting made everything feel more excruciating and unbearable.

You will see Ridley Scott return to top form on the directing side of things here, and Scott proves he can still be one of the best with this film. I’m still waiting for The Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises (also, I haven’t seen The Avengers yet), but Prometheus really lived up to my high expectations. The lukewarm reception from critics doesn’t bother me, because I loved Prometheus, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel.

Prometheus continues to receive a good amount of complaints from moviegoers and critics. Prometheus’ unanswered questions bothered a lot of people, because the vast majority expected a true prequel for Alien. Well, you will see some similarities to Alien here. The creatures, their acidic blood, strong female characters (Elizabeth Shaw and Meredith Vickers), and there’s a nice surprise for Alien fans at the very end. Still, Prometheus doesn’t follow the path of a traditional prequel. Again, this film features some similarities to the Alien universe, but most of the time, Prometheus feels like a stand-alone film. Although, Prometheus will give you some new material, and they were able to throw in some recognizable clues from Alien, so Prometheus actually works as a unique prequel and stand-alone film at the same time. Fans of the franchise should enjoy the tiny bits of Alien material. Newcomers won’t miss any major details, and at the same time, Prometheus could introduce them to the entire Alien film series, because this film could raise the curiosity levels of people, who are unfamiliar with the other Alien films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back