• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Most influential bands of this decade...

First of all, I'd like to say that this regarding the British music scene. So apologies if I've missed out your favourite metal band.

Anyways, on with the thread, I'm going to list who I think are the most influential bands of this decade, the bands who without them the music scene would be a very different story. I've come up with three. Enjoy.

The Strokes

161445__strokes_l.jpg

Yeah, I know they're not British, but they've had one hell of an impact on our music scene. THe number of bands who claim they've been influenced by these guys is unbelievable. They reintroduced guitar rock back into the British charts, and did a damn good job at that. Julian Casablancas has a distinct singing voice that has been imitated by many, in fact, some could say that he has influenced Alex Turner, who features further down the page.

The Libertines
0773_153749_libertines_L020707.jpg

Indie went mainstream because of these guys, they introduced a completely new sound to the British public and it's one that's still going today. Unfortunately they also introduced a drugs culture to the indie scene, one that doesn't look like going away. However, their music speaks for itself and you can't help but wonder where these guys would be if the drugs didn't get in the way.

Arctic Monkeys
large_ARCTIC%20MONKEYS.jpg

If anything, these guys have made the biggest influence on British music. If indie went mainstream because of The Libertines then it took one step to World Domination because of the Arctic Monkeys. Heavily influenced by both bands above, these guys have captured the imagination of this generation, hitting the number one spot, selling out stadiums, headlining festivals, these guys have done it all, inspiring a generation of new exciting bands on their way.

Are The Libertines influential? The Cure got there before, they're the same. Apart from the fact that The Cure sing better. But I guess they are if they've inspire lots of shitty bands and make people think that taking drugs are cool.

Not sure how Arctic Monkeys made indy music mainstream. The band themselves were, for a time. But all the hype around them has died down now. Mainstream music is top 40 chart music, and you'll find very little like the Arctic Monkeys there.

...Jake...how exactly are the Libertines similiar to the Cure? At all? I can't hear much resemblance between "What a Waster" and "Love Song", maybe that's just me.

But really, all you had to do Luther was just name the Libertines. Or really just name the Smiths. All the Arctic Monkeys have done is influence a bunch of clone "indie" bands that all play the same godawful atrocious music (How can anyone like the Klaxons? Are you kidding me?) and who all are really just ripping off the Libertines sound without giving them credit for it.

Arctic Monkeys are truly the most overrated band on the face of Planet Earth. I wouldn't even put them in the top 1000 rock bands of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back