More Polarizing - Jeff Hardy or John Cena?

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
As I sift through the pages of these forums, much as I have done over the last year and a half or so, I notice a few trends. They are often similar to the trends I hear during the live TV shows.

1. John Cena, at any given time, is both the most beloved and among the most hated superstars in wrestling.

2. John Cena has slowly turned the crowd to his side, but remains a "love him or hate him" kind of a guy.

3. Jeff Hardy was, for some time, the most popular wrestler on TV with the best crowd reaction.

4. Since losing the WWE Title back, the crowd has turned on him. Even posters on these forums - some love him, some hate him.

So I ask you - Who is the more POLARIZING (love or hate, no in between) figure in pro wrestling right now? Cena or Hardy?

Dunno. It's hard to say. Don't tell me that's not your dream response.

Certainly, I think neither are as polarizing as they used to be. Cena generally only gets picked on my morons for, well, moronic issues these days: "At least The Rock had a varied move set...". Back in the day, the entire internet hated him. Now I'm pretty much indifferent to him, but I know that some like him.

Personally, I've actually come around to Jeff Hardy at the same time everybody has turned on him. While everyone has hated "The Megahardys Explode" or whatever you're calling the Hardy feud, I've enjoyed it immensely.

In their prime, who was the most polarizing? I'll have to go with Cena - he just maintained it longer.

I think it's Jeff for one reason which I shall explain;

John Cena is loved by everyone in the crowd save for a few little smarky smarks, and was hated on IWC boards. With the exception of ONS Cena has not had a problem with the crowd as a whole. Whilst I don't like the guy, I respect that he's the face of the company.

Jeff however is a major fuckup, the crowd were shit hot on him, he loses the title and feuds with Matt, since then his pops have decreased, and a lot of people hate him on these boards, whilst a lot love him. He has greatly improved over the past few years, but he's losing his appeal with the crowd. The crowd is what's important...the mass of the "WWE Universe" not what we on WZ forums think.

Even the commentators are talking about how everyone has an opinion about Cena from 'both sides of' or 'all along' the spectrum.

I think Jeff has slid from uber-over to general apathy / mildly over. People love to see the high spots. Everyone wanted to see him win the title, he did, so many of them have moved on.

interesting post. id say cena. trying not to be biased here since i am a hardy fan. though hardy's pops have gone down, he doesn't arrive to resounding boos like cena.

interesting post. id say cena. trying not to be biased here since i am a hardy fan. though hardy's pops have gone down, he doesn't arrive to resounding boos like cena.

I have to agree, as the "crowd turning on Jeff" statement is pretty misleading. I certainly don't see the crowd doing that at all. His pops could have died down for one reason and one reason only ... that being the way he has been booked, more so than him doing anything wrong himself. I personally think the feud between himself and Matt has been pretty good, but definitely could have been made even better by the Creative Department and more Creative writing.

As far as Cena goes, it is a shame when your "Top Face" is still getting as many loud and audible boos as he is. I do agree that we have seen a transformation over the years, in which the boos have gone down, and more people came around to the guy ... but once again, I view this as a struggle between the Attitude Era Fans many of which still linger around, and the Modern Day Fans and the Children, over the direction of Cena's character.

I realize that the spin WWE has put on this over the years has been that "it's cool to have a controversial figure who is half cheered and half booed as your top Draw". I just don't think your Top Face should ever be getting the amount of boos that Cena does. Hogan didn't. Austin didn't. Rock didn't. Why should Cena be the exception? Clearly, there is a problem somewhere, and my money is on it being his character itself and fans turned off by the goody two-shoes babyface in this day and age.

Rapper John Cena would be a lot more over with the Attitude Era fans due to the edginess of the character, language he used in his rap segments, anti-establishment character, etc.

Before I fully reply I have to make one tiny comment. I find it utterly hilarious that the same people who say that most of those who hate Cena don't have good reasons are the same people who decide they need to take little potshots at the haters in all of their posts. Lots of Cena haters have very good, well thought out reasons for why they don't like the guy. Just because you don't agree with them it doesn't make them stupid or smarks (why is THAT a derrogatory term now anyway?) I just wish everyone would stop being so hypocritical and accept the fact that we don't all like the same wrestlers and we tend to have fairly solid reasons for why we feel the way we do.

That being said, I'd say Jeff Hardy is more polarizing. With Cena people fall on either side of the fence based on his promos, his wrestling ability and generally things that are associated with wrestling. With Jeff, people's opinions can be swayed based on all the stuff I've already mentioned and his personal life. By all accounts, Cena is a great human being. But Jeff is the guy with a history of drug and behavioral problems who continues to get pushed despite all of the strikes against him. He's also got Matt. Matt Hardy fans seem to either love or hate Jeff strongly based on how Jeff's personal demons affect him and the comparison of their careers.

Cena might get stronger overall reactions from people but Jeff gives you more things to consider.

I have to agree, as the "crowd turning on Jeff" statement is pretty misleading. I certainly don't see the crowd doing that at all. His pops could have died down for one reason and one reason only ... that being the way he has been booked, more so than him doing anything wrong himself. I personally think the feud between himself and Matt has been pretty good, but definitely could have been made even better by the Creative Department and more Creative writing.

As far as Cena goes, it is a shame when your "Top Face" is still getting as many loud and audible boos as he is. I do agree that we have seen a transformation over the years, in which the boos have gone down, and more people came around to the guy ... but once again, I view this as a struggle between the Attitude Era Fans many of which still linger around, and the Modern Day Fans and the Children, over the direction of Cena's character.

I realize that the spin WWE has put on this over the years has been that "it's cool to have a controversial figure who is half cheered and half booed as your top Draw". I just don't think your Top Face should ever be getting the amount of boos that Cena does. Hogan didn't. Austin didn't. Rock didn't. Why should Cena be the exception? Clearly, there is a problem somewhere, and my money is on it being his character itself and fans turned off by the goody two-shoes babyface in this day and age.

Rapper John Cena would be a lot more over with the Attitude Era fans due to the edginess of the character, language he used in his rap segments, anti-establishment character, etc.

This man speaks the truth!!! Rep will be coming your way my friend.

I think Cena is much more polarizing than Jeff is. I think, if anything, IrishCanadian25, you are imposing this board's views onto WWE's product. This forum has some staunch Cena supporters that have made it their mission to change people's opinion of John Cena, and it has worked to a certain extent. Likewise, there are other posters that are staunch in their views about Hardy, except these posters happen to loathe him. Thus, while many regular posters here, it seems, don't have a problem with Hardy, and actually like him, there are some here who won't throw him a bone, who are champing at the bit for him to fuck up in some way so they can say, "See, I told you so!," and who tear him apart for not having enough love for the business.

In reality, like Lord Sidious already said, Cena is still polarizing; maybe not as much as he used to be, but he is still polarizing. On the other hand, no one has turned on Hardy; yes, the size of his pops have decreased, but this has everything to do with his booking (HHH really should have been the one who plotted against Jeff in the first place, not Matt) and nothing to do with him or his character. Should Hardy decide to stay in WWE, the fans will be all over him again like white on rice as soon he enters the title picture or has a high-profile, non-title feud that WWE actually treats with some respect.

I'm going to say Cena only because of the crowd. Week in week out Hardy get's more or less the same response. I agree that maybe Hardy's cheers have been getting smaller than they were say when he had the title but you never hear boos over the cheers. Where as with Cena you have no idea how the crowd will react until he comes out, it's either overwhelming boos or a shit load of cheers. Cena for sure.

It boils down to passion, folks.

We all know how much passion John Cena has for the business. He eats, sleeps, and breathes the WWE. It's not a job for him. It's fun.

On the other hand, you have Jeff Hardy. The Spot Monkeyed, Rainbow Head Warrior who has been given many chances to rise to superstardom, but alas, he's 'burned out' or 'tired of it'. Just when he has the voltage turned up, he turns it back down. He was given the WWE title and then people realized that they may need to get this belt back because he may not be here tomorrow.

Jeff Hardy's more polarizing. No question. It's about the business and it seems like a chore for Jeff, and fun for Cena. That's the difference.

It boils down to passion, folks.

We all know how much passion John Cena has for the business. He eats, sleeps, and breathes the WWE. It's not a job for him. It's fun.

On the other hand, you have Jeff Hardy. The Spot Monkeyed, Rainbow Head Warrior who has been given many chances to rise to superstardom, but alas, he's 'burned out' or 'tired of it'. Just when he has the voltage turned up, he turns it back down. He was given the WWE title and then people realized that they may need to get this belt back because he may not be here tomorrow.

Jeff Hardy's more polarizing. No question. It's about the business and it seems like a chore for Jeff, and fun for Cena. That's the difference.

IrishCandian25, do you understand what I am talking about now?

The Lariat, how do you feel about Cena's pops? Would you say that they are half and half, or that they mainly consists of cheers and a few loud, smarky boos? Also, how do you feel about Hardy's pops? Have they just gotten smaller, or are people now booing him as well?

IrishCandian25, do you understand what I am talking about now?

The Lariat, how do you feel about Cena's pops? Would you say that they are half and half, or that they mainly consists of cheers and a few loud, smarky boos? Also, how do you feel about Hardy's pops? Have they just gotten smaller, or are people now booing him as well?

Honestly, on Raw tonight, Cena had genuine cheers, but on the PPV last night, a mix of heel/face. Jeff Hardy usually gets consistent cheers, but it's became more of a half dead/face pop reaction. It's either they don't give a shit or they cheer him. With Cena, it's either WHOOO! or BOOO! No in between.

I don't think either of them are polarizing to be completely honest, though if you had to give the edge to one of them, I'd say Cena, but mostly because his critics are more vocal and are more numerous than are Jeff Hardy's.

The reason I say neither of them are polarizing is because in Hardy's case, he's just not that much. Sure some internet fans don't like him, but I'd say 95% of people at shows cheer for him. At the same time, there's a good portion of that group who just cheer for him because he's the face, not because they think he's super awesome or anything.

In Cena's case, I just think while most people either love him or hate him, there's a fair sized group that thinks he's ok guy, and respect his love for the business, but his character and in ring style isn't their cup of tea. I fall into this category, and I think there's some other people around here who feel that way too. The way I see it is, that while I hate him as a wrestler, I always get a kick out of his interviews with late night guys and radio and stuff, he's a pretty funny dude, and I respect his love for the business too, so I feel like that immediately makes him not so polarizing.

The only reason I give the edge to Cena is because at shows, it always seems like the crowd is either completely behind the guy, or hates his freaking guts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back