• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA Fighter vs. Boxer in a Boxing Match?

jmt225

Global Moderator
With James Toney vs. Randy Couture vastly approaching and the topic of Boxing vs. MMA being hotter than ever, I was wondering....

If you could pit one MMA Fighter against one Professional Boxer in an official Boxing bout, what would you set up?

Now, please ignore athletic commissions and the fact that it would be really tough for someone to be able to book an MMA fighter with no Boxing wins vs. a good professional boxer, because this question is just for fun. No need to make it complicated. Just name a match, why that's the match you would make, and what you believe the outcome would be.

--------------------------------------------​

So, with that said, I'll of course answer first.

And my choice is a rather crazy one, but curiosity kills the cat... BJ Penn vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

It has been stated by many, including Freddie Roach (Manny Pacquaio's trainer), that BJ Penn is the best boxer in MMA. So, yeah... there's that aspect of pitting the best boxer in MMA against the best boxer period, but that's not my only reason.

BJ Penn (who could easily make it to the 148 pound weight class, for the record) is in my top three favorite fighters of all time, no doubt, and it would be incredible to see him get such high caliber fight, in what would undoubtedly be the biggest pay day of his career. And while I do not for one second believe that BJ could beat Money Mayweather in a boxing fight, I am dumb enough to believe that BJ would actually put on a good fight. I'm dumb enough to believe that if BJ Penn trained his ass off for this fight, that he would be able to actually keep up with Floyd Mayweather for 12 Rounds and actually win a few of them. I am that dumb, but there's a part of me that truly believes that BJ Penn would prove me not to be dumb at all, and there's just nothing more that I would love to see than than him prove that. It would be so, so awesome.

I think it comes down to the division you put them in. Someone like Carwin, with enough boxing training, I think could absolutely murder some of the beasts in the HW division. Not the best, but some of them. I think BJ would be hard-pressed to keep up with Mayweather's style. But then there's the part of me that thinks Mayweather would get cocky and possibly give BJ a puncher's chance to drop him. Even dropping him once would be a win in my book for MMA. Simply put, that would tell me that MMA fighters CAN compete with Boxers in their realm and Boxers aren't able to compete in MMA fighters world.

I'm tempted to put someone like Carwin also, but there is no way he is technical enough or fast enough to beat a good boxing Heavyweight. I'm also tempted to put Anderson Silva because he has gotten much better on his feet since his last boxing match, but I don't think he would be able to match up against most high profile boxers. I have to go with you JMT and pick BJ Penn.

BJ easily has the best boxing in MMA. If he was training like a monster for a high profile boxing fight I believe he could beat a whole lot of guys and even a few top tier ones. If someone can get BJ motivated enough I believe that BJ can hold his own against the best boxers in the world. Although it's easier said than done I believe it to be true. Doubt it will happen but who knows. We can all hope.

I guess using Marcus Davis wouldn't be to far now would it? The guy had 20 professional boxing fights.

For my pick I would like to see "Suga" Rashad Evans vs. Eddie Chambers. Well to start off Evans already has the monkier Suga, which we all should know that two great boxers have carried that as well except they were "Sugar" in Ray Robinson and Ray Leonard. Evans also displays great head movement as if he is in a boxing match when fighting, very quick on his feet, has some great countering, and pretty good defense (although that might be lacking a little from a few of his past performances). I picked Chambers because he is a good boxer and matches up well with Evans with only being 2 inches taller and has a 1/2 inch reach on him, (Chambers 75/Evans 74.5). Chambers is only around 220 pounds so the weight would be right there as well. Chambers having a record of 35 wins and 2 losses with 18 KO's with most of the KO's coming from no name opponents is one of those guys that Evans would be able to stand and box with and not worry about being Ko'd. I see this fight going the distance where any fighter could take it. If Rashad came in with great conditioning he might be able to score a KO or TKO in the later stages of the fight.

BJ Penn vs Manny Pacquio, BJ Penn is billed as having the best pure boxing skills in MMA. To be frank Manny is pound for pound the best in boxing. They're phillipino i believe as well. I can picture this a great back and forth bout, edge of your seat action. Call me crazy but BJ has a fighting chance.

The only actual boxer I've seen on this list was Marcus Davis.

Stealing your idea Buffalo but changing a combatant

I would honestly pick someone like Vitor Belfort vs. Eddie Chambers. Vitor has lightening fast handspeed and DEVASTATING KO power. He's also fought at that weight class. You've already mentioned the reasons for Chambers so I won't rehash, but I'll continue to sell Belfort over Rashad.

Belfort is a MUCH MUCH better boxer than Rashad. Belfort's hand speed and technical prowess are some of the best in MMA. Size wise, the two are comparable. Eddie at 6'1 with a 75" reach and Vitor at 6' with a 74" reach. Honestly, Vitor is probably the best striker at the MW division. He's better than Anderson IMO. Plus, Vitor will actually fight if we stick him in the ring.

I don't know jmt, aside from Paul Williams, I don't think there is a boxer on the planet that has any chance againest Mayweather, much less an MMA fighter. I personally would like to see Shane Mosley vs. Rashad Evans in a battle of the "Sugas". Mosley isn't as good a boxer as he used to be, and Rashad has pretty damn good stand up, and is agile enough to hang in there with Mosley. I still think Mosley would pick up the win though.

I'm going old school here and saying Muhammed Ali vs. Anderson Silva
I understand Ali would probably slaughter Anderson but hey it's my dream match up lol

Also, I wouldn't have minded seeing a prime Mike Tyson vs. A prime Chuck Liddell, that fight alone on paper has 100% chance of a KO occurring that's why I think it would be so appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back