MLB Playoff Roundtable/Predictions Thread

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
With the Postseason just a few days away, me and two other sports stadium regulars, Big Sexy and Stormtrooper, engaged in a discussion/roundtable last night on MSN for about an hour, with me asking them questions and having a fun little time (I partook in this as well). Since this was done on MSN, there might be a few typos here and there that I missed, but for the most part I think it was covered pretty well. I also wanna thank those two for having some patience (I wanted to start it at 8 but we didn't really get going until about 9:15-9:30ish) and joining me in this. If there is some need in it I will do a NFL one (more then likely will anyways, with those 2 if nothing else, although we'd enjoy more opinions as well) and possibly an NCAA Football and NBA/NHL one combined (if there's even an NBA season). I hope you guys enjoy this and you can answer the questions I presented as well in your post to give some discussion to this.

Also, this will be the thread to discuss series predictions/thoughts on games. No sense in making two separate threads. So now without further adieu, here's our transcript:

Megatron
Alright I wanna thank you guys for doing this. Let's first start off with the two wild card pictures. The Red Sox and Rays are in a dead heat in the AL and the Cards are breathing down the Braves neck in the NL. What do you guys see coming down these last two days?

Big Sexy says
In the AL I see the Rays taking it. The Red Sox have completely collapsed at this point and the Rays are playing great baseball. In the NL I still see the Braves getting in over the Cards. St Louis blowing that game aganst the Mets a few days ago really hurt them.

Stormtrooper says
I honestly believe that if the Red Sox were to make it to the ALDS, it would happen in a play-in game. Even with the Sox 14 inning win Sunday Night, they still are reeling, and if todays games are any indication (Sox down 6-2, Rays up 4-2) the Sox will be lucky to make it to the Play-In game

Megatron says
I agree the Red Sox have just played awful all September, while the Rays have blown a few chances, the Yankees don't seem intent on hurting their chances these last 2 games, with them probably going to a handful of relievers in game 162.

The NL, on the otherhand, I think will be decided by a one game playoff. The Cards do have an easier matchup against the Astros, but either the Braves will step up these last two games or the Cards will only get 2 of 3. We will get at least one play in game, I hope.

Stormtrooper says
I hope so too, they are always exciting games. Ironically, both Wild Card chases are in the same situation. One team is playing the team that clinched everything, the other is playing the worst in the league. Sox vs. Baltimore,Tampa vs. Yankees; Braves vs. Phillies, Cards vs. Astros

Megatron says
Onto the teams that have already clinched, name the one guy from each league that is most important to his teams success.

Stormtrooper says
damn, from each league?

NL: Ryan Braun.
AL: CC Sabathia.

Big Sexy says
Pitching wins in the playoffs so I'm going with a pitcher for. For the AL I'm going to say Max Scherzer (slight homer pick). The Tigers have a beastly one and two with Verlander and Fister. If the inconsistent Scherzer plays well they could be tough to beat

Stormtrooper says
Ryan Braun is the best hitter of all the NL teams in the playoffs. Prince Fielder will not be able to carry the Brewers by himself.

Big Sexy says
In the NL I say Ian Kennedy. That young Arizona team needs their ace to be great

Stormtrooper says
BS and I agree about pitching. I picked Sabathia because, even though the Yankees pitching isn't as suspect as people think, they absolutely, positively need Sabathia to be the Ace that he is. Especially since he will most likely be going on short rest.

Megatron says
In the NL I think it's Justin Upton because he is the one bat in the Diamondbacks that you have to be quite conscious of. Chris Young is a nice player and all but Upton is going to be the guy teams pitch around and don't wanna be beaten by. The Phils got tons of pitching and the Brew Crew have a nice balance of both to win.

Stormtrooper says
BS, you brought up Ian Kennedy. That trade seemed to be one of those rare trades where everyone ended up winning. The Diamondbacks got Kennedy (a Cy Young candidate), the Tigers got Austin Jackson (a top prospect) and company, and the Yankees got Curtis Granderson (an MVP candidate)

Megatron says
In the AL, pitching rules like you guys said, which is why I'm going with CJ Wilson. Wilson is undoubtedly the Rangers #1, but last year he didn't have that tag because Lee was there for the 2nd half. Now with no Lee, there's gonna be more pressure on him to deliver a 7 inning 1 run effort and beat the other teams ace.

Stormtrooper says
I think none of us can really be wrong right here.

Megatron says
There always seems to be one team that gets swept out in the first round each year (Reds and Twins both were last season). Of the 10 (we'll include the teams involved in the WC), who would you say is the team you'd most wanna face?

Stormtrooper says
I'm a Yankee fan, I want to face the Twins.... If only they didn't suck this year. To be honest, I'd actually want to face the Brewers. Not knocking them, but I can't name a single starting pitcher of theirs, and Starting Pitching wins ALDS's

Big Sexy says
In the AL, Boston. If the Rays falter and they sneak in I don't see them doing anything. They've just been god awful the last month. In the NL I'd say the Diamondbacks. They are a great story but they are so young and they don't have the starting pitching depth.

Stormtrooper says
Just look at the Yankees from 2005-7. I 100% disagree with you BS completely. Boston is WAY to dangerous. In fact, they are the last team I want to face.

Megatron says
I'd disagree on the Brewers not having pitching. Grienke, Gallardo, Marcum, and Wolf is actually a very deep rotation. Plus they have a decent lineup with Morgan/Braun/Fielder and if they get homefield in the NLDS they could go right through because they're so good at home.

Stormtrooper says
Thanks for reminding me about Grienke. Forgot about him.

Big Sexy says
The Red Sox have been complete shit lately. They aren't even playing average, they are horrendous. I don't see them just being able to turn the switch on. I like every other AL team in contention over them.

Stormtrooper says
The one thing is still that just because they have a quantity of decent guys, doesn't mean they have a great rotation. Once they get in the playoffs, they can turn it on very, very easily

Megatron says
As for my pick, it's the Braves. Their back end of the pen has been abused by Gonzalez, their good pitchers are hurt, and they're pretty much relying on Hudson/Derek Lowe, and a bunch of rookies to get them in. Plus that lineup besides McCann (who has been struggling in the 2nd half) doesn't look that intimidating.

Stormtrooper says
Bad Septembers do not make bad Octobers. In 2000, the Yankees played like shit in September, then went on to win the World Series

Megatron says
And Beckett and Lester would have to pitch the Red Sox all the way, and I just don't see that happening. They do have a dangerous lineup, but in a short series a good pitching staff like Verlander/Fister/Scherzer could shut them down.

Big Sexy says
The Red Sox are beyond bad right now

Stormtrooper says
Boston is am immensely talented team still, even with all the injuries. They have a very dangerous lineup on paper, and Beckett and Lester are a great 1-2 punch again though BS, right now is right now, next week could be a different story.

Megatron says
Alright to get off topic from the postseason for just a second, lets hear your award winners for each league - MVP, Cy Young, and ROY.

Stormtrooper says
AL Cy Young: Justin Verlander

I don't think that's even debatable.

Megatron says
AL MVP = Jacoby Ellsbury. I wanted to go Verlander, but I don't think he'll get enough support and Ellsbury has been going great these last few weeks.
AL Cy Young = Verlander. This was decided sometime in August. It may just be unanimous.
AL ROY = Jeremy Hellickson. Michael Pineda had a hot start and Ivan Nova has been a good (and surprising) #2 for the Yankees, but he's had the most success and is pitching well for his team in high pressure situations in September.

Stormtrooper says
For my AL ROY, I'm going to say Ivan Nova. The Yankee Right Hander went 16-4 on the season, with a 3.70 ERA in 165 1/3 innings. If the Yankees didn't stupidly send him down for a month he'd be a 20 game winner.

Big Sexy says
AL CY and MVP: Verlander I don't care how many games he played in, he was more valuable to his team then anyone else. AL rookie is Jeremy Hellickson

Stormtrooper says
I am not against the notion of Verlander for MVP. He has been the single most valueable player for his team.

Megatron says
NL MVP = Matt Kemp. I know he's been doing this on a .500 team, but this guy has been the closest to the triple crown since it was last achieved, and he's doing this in a pitchers park. He's had a heck of a season and A-Rod won it on Texas in 03 and they blew even worse.
NL Cy Young = It comes down to two guys, Halladay and Kershaw. Kershaw has gotten the triple crown, which will probably push him over the top, despite Halladays saber stats being superior.

Stormtrooper says
However, I will say that I wouldn't be all that upset if it went to Curtis Granderson, or (if the Sox make it) Jacoby Elisbury

Big Sexy says
NL MVP is Ryan Braun, CY is Kershaw, and Rookie is Kimbel

Megatron says
NL ROY = Craig Kimbrel. He's broken the rookie saves record and has only slowed down due to overuse. Plus there haven't been many other shining candidates.

Stormtrooper says
If Matt Kemp wins the triple crown, I have absolutely no problem giving him the MVP. And Halladay should get the Cy Young over Kershaw. Kimbrel for the ROY is the only easy choice. Maybe a few other guys would get slight consideration, but it's really just a competition for #2 behind Kimbrel

Megatron says
I do think halladay has been the best pitcher, but like I said, Kershaw has the Triple Crown and the last guy to do that - Peavy I believe - won it as well. Plus Lee could steal some votes from his teammate.

Back onto the playoff teams, what one guy could come out of nowhere and have a great postseason to help his team make (or possibly win) the World Series (a la Cody Ross and Edgar Renteria last year)?

Stormtrooper says
Don't laugh at me here. I think the one guy that could come out of nowhere is JORGE POSADA. He was written off for dead for most of the season, but he's been playing better the past month or so, and he will want to put on a show for whoever is going to be trying to sign him next year.

Megatron says
This is where I'm going to go into homer alert and pick a guy that has (deservedly) been ridiculed by the media and fans in the first half of the season but has always picked it up as the season moves on. I'm talking about Ryan Raburn. He's got some pop in his bat (not great, but enough where you have to respect it) and has delivered some clutch hits lately. He'll split his time in the OF and 2B.

Big Sexy says
I hate to be a homer again but I'm going with Ramon Santiago. With Guillen's health in question he is the primary back up and second and short and I think he will come up big when Raburn ultimately fails as usual in crunch time

Stormtrooper says
You can't really be faulted for being a homer. We're talking about "lesser" guys here, we aren't as well-versed on the "lesser" guys on other teams.

Big Sexy says
Yea I figured we'd all have home town guys for that question

Megatron says
I know people like to hate on Raburn, and sometime it's deserved, but to say this guy hasn't been hot the last two months is wrong. He's hit over .300 in each of the last two months and is having a great September. I know you weren't really arguing BS but I think the guy deserves credit when he's doing well.

Big Sexy says
He is doing well right now but that rarely lasts. He also is known to crumble in major pressure situations. There is no more pressure then playoff baseball

Megatron says
He's hitting .270 with 33 RBIs in 111 ABs with guys in scoring position. That isn't terrible. And a lot of his stuff looks bad due to his awful first half.

Big Sexy says
I just question his ability to be good in the playoffs. I hope he proves me wrong

Megatron says
I hate to cut this short, but I have to shower and get to bed, so final question - What's your World Series matchup, and who do you have winning it all?

Stormtrooper says
You don't want to ask me that.....

I'm going paper here. Yankees vs. Phillies in a rematch from 2009. And then I have the same result from 2009, with the Yankees winning it all. Derek Jeter is World Series MVP (just like how he's been the 2nd half MVP)

Big Sexy says
Phillies in the NL. They have the best pitching and a solid offense. In the AL I can't go against the Tigers. It's 100% homer but I can't pick against my team in the AL. However, I will say the Phillies win it all.

Stormtrooper says
I would not be surprised at all if the Tigers did get to the series though. If they get better then average pitching from the Non-Verlanders, they will be a very, very tough out.

Megatron says
I, likewise, am going chalk in the NL. While I do think the Brew Crew could give them a fight, if the pitching staff of Halladay, Hamels, and Lee can't even make it to the WS, someone's gonna have to screw it up. As for the AL, I too have to go homer and go Tigers. Verlander has been the best pitcher in the AL, and Fister has been one of the best since he's come over. If Scherzer can be good Max, the offense with Cabrera, Avila, Martinez, Peralta, and Young will be able to provide enough runs. My heart says Tigers to win, but for the sake of being objective I will say the Phillies will win it all in 6.

Oh yes, one more thing. I want to thank you guys for your patience in getting this started. It was a bit of a problem to start, but once it got going it was fine. Now any final thoughts on your team or the playoff system on the whole or anything relevant to MLB?

Big Sexy says
Go Tigers and it was my pleasure to partake in this discussion

Stormtrooper says
I can't wait til (maybe, hopefully) next year, when MLB adds a Wild Card team, and they do a 1 game playoff for the 2 Wildcard teams

LETS GO YANKEES!

oh, and this was a blast. We need to do this more. And we need more people in it.

Megatron says
I will try to do an NFL Playoff one (or possibly Midseason one) and try to get a few more people.

And Go Tigers. Lets play like its 84 (I would say 06, but that didn't end completely well...)

Gotta be honest, I don't want to see the Rays at all should they and the Tigers meet in the ALCS. I know the Tigers went 6-1 against them, but every single game between them and the Tigers were close. They have great pitching, and I would rather see the Tigers go to Texas then have Tampa start there. Those guys are just clicking at the perfect time.

Now onto my LDS Predictions:

Detroit over New York in 4. Just like 2006, baby. If JV outduels CC in game one, it could spell a quick series for the Tigers. Fister has been pitching BETTER then JV since he's come here, actually, and he's a groundball pitcher that shouldn't have a problem against NY's big bats if he's on. Scherzer is also a better pitcher at home, considerably, so some of those hits that'd be HR's in Yankee Stadium may be deep flyball outs against them. Plus, they have a much better offense since these two last seen each other. Delmon Young has been playing great since coming over, Betemit has become a threat in the bottom of the order. Cabrera + Martinez is the best 4-5 punch on any team, and their back end of the bullpen with Benoit/Valverde has been lights out since about Mid-May (they've lost 1 game when leading in the 8th this year, and that was in May). I think their lineups are comparable, the Tigers have a better rotation, and the Yankees have a slightly better bullpen (although the 4-5 key arms aren't anything to sneeze at for the Tigers).

Tampa Bay over Texas in 5 A flip flop of last years series, with the Rays winning on Texas's homefield. Texas has a dangerous offense, but good pitching does shut down good hitting more often then not, even with the hitter friendly park of Texas'. Plus, the Rays just came back in from the biggest September deficit ever, and have the best manager in the entire MLB.

Philadelphia over St. Louis in 3 I want to give the Cards more of a challenge, as they're in the same situation as the Rays, but this pitching is too damn good for the Phillies to not make the NLCS. STL puts up a fight, no doubt, but I wouldn't be surprised if their bullpen costs them a game.

Milwaukee over Arizona in 4 I do like both of these teams, but again, Milwaukee's a more complete team and has a deeper rotation with Gallardo, Grienke, Wolf, and Marcum. K-Rod and Axford is a great back end combo, and they have some dangerous bats in the middle of that lineup. Plus this may be their one shot for it all, with Prince possibly not coming back after the season.

Should be a great playoffs, but I'll be on the edge throughout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back