• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Milenko's recipe of the week

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
I love to cook, I have an AAS degree in Restaurant Managment and my goal in life is to own a restaurant. I also love to get other people to try food they've never had before and to this end I'm going to post a new recipe every week in the hopes people actually try them out.

I will only post recipes I have tried myself. I have my own book of recipes but that's in Florida with my mother so until I can get her to send it to me the recipes I will post are from FoodNetwork.com with some notes from my own experiences. I'm going to start with a personal favorite of mine.

Chicken Cordon Bleu
ChickenCordonBleu.jpg

Ingredients
  • 4 skinless boneless chicken breats
  • 4 slices of ham
  • 1/2 lb (8oz) Grated Gruyere cheese (it doesn't have to be Gruyere although it is a great melting cheese. It's really all about presonal preference)
  • 1/4 cup A.P. flour
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 4 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only (not necessay but it does give a little something to the finished product)
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
  • 2 Tbs of unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • EVOO
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Lay the chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, gently pound the chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. Remove the top sheet of plastic and lay 2 slices of ham neatly over the top to cover the breast and sprinkle a quarter of the cheese over the ham. Tuck in the sides of the breast and roll up tight like a jellyroll inside the plastic wrap. Squeeze the log gently to seal and twist both ends tight to form a nice log. Repeat with remaining chicken.

Season the flour with salt and pepper. Mix the bread crumbs with thyme, garlic and salt, pepper, and melted butter. The butter will help the crust brown. Beat together the eggs and season so the flour, the eggs and the crumbs are all seasoned.

Remove the plastic wrap. Lightly dust the chicken with flour, dip in the egg mixture and gently coat in the bread crumbs. Lightly coat a baking pan with olive oil and carefully transfer the roulades onto it. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until browned and cooked through.
Cory's notes: You can also pan fry the breaded chicken for about 5 minutes to brown the outside and then tranfer it to the oven but if you do it this way you need to reduce the oven time by 10 minutes. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temp of 165 F.

I have a recipe for a cheese sauce that goes good with it.

Cheese Sauce*
  • 1/2 cup of cheese (I use the same cheese I use in the chicken but it's up to you really)​
  • 14/cup of milk​
Simple really just put them in a small sauce pan and cook on low until the cheese melts into a smooth concistency. You'll need to stay with it so you don't burn the milk or the cheese but it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.​

This is just an estimate because it's so simple I don't measure the cheese or the milk.​

*Cheese sauce recipe is the property of Cory Allen. (Me)​

i really hope you guys gives these recipes a try and post what you thought of them. You can also post your own recipes you like making and maybe put me on to something new that I've never tried before.​

Ive made something similar, without the Gruyere cheese. Ive actually always used provolone cheese, and its turned out wonderfully. Ive also used Hoison sauce on top, which is a chinese dipping sauce that tastes basically like spicy ketchup. It goes great when cooked on top of the crumbs for the last five minutes or so. Id suggest you give it a try. The sauce is slightly expensive but its very good and worth it, as you can get alot of use out of one bottle. Using it on this or on somethng like salmon are both excellent. Give it a shot kid.

Inside-Out Burgers
inside-out-burger-recipe-photo-475x357-wkalen-038_476x357.jpg

Ingredients

• 6 slices of bacon, cut into bite size pieces
  • 8 oz cremini mushroms, cleaned and sliced (It doesn't have to be cremini just whatever is cheapest at your local store.)
  • 2 lbs ground chuck (80-20 is the perfect meat to fat ratio. what that means is there is 80% meat to 20% fat. Just enough fat for flavor but it won't make it to greasy when you eat it. Just look for 80-20 ground chuck on the label.)
  • 1 large shallot, diced
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 oz swiss cheese, cubed (it doesn't have to be swiss, it can be whatever you like.)
  • 4 hambuger buns
  • 2 Tbsp oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

Place the bacon in a large saute pan and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat in the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Set the mushrooms aside to cool in a bowl.

In a large bowl, combine the beef, shallot, black pepper, salt, and Worcestershire. Separate the mixture into 4 equal portions. Divide each portion into 2 separate patties.

Combine the cheese into the cooled mushrooms and bacon mixture. Take 1 patty and top with 2-ounces of the filling. Place another patty on top and pinch around the edges to make sure that the filling is totally covered. Make the rest of the patties the same way.

Over medium-high heat, heat a large skillet with oil. Once hot, add the burgers and cook for 2 minutes per side. Place the pan into the oven and cook for 4 to 6 more minutes for medium burgers.

Remove from the oven and serve on a bun.

This is a very easy recipe to make so even if you don't cook that much I urge you to try this recipe. What I really ernjoy about this is you can mix and match the filling with whatever you like. Caramilized onions would go great with this as would sauted peppers. Just let your imagination go wild with this one.​

If this meets the criteria for spam, I will take the punishment like a man, Not meaning to sound rude either but you know I tell it like it is.

Certificates are called different things in Australia, but If I was fully qualified to be a Restaurant manager over here, It has nothing to do with the cooking, it means I can run a restaurant.

You say you have cooked all of these meals before but can you have it set up to look presentable? If you can you're better off Cooking the food, and adding a few pictures (that you have taken yourself not just off a website) It will get more people reading the thread and more people posting in it.

Try making some unique recipes. Something that people wouldn't normally try. you're "inside out burger" would just taste the same as a normal burger just takes longer to make.

Try setting a budget. Simple meal that feeds 2 people for only $$$$ Why get all the ingredients for the chicken Kiev when I can buy 2 for $5 from the local butchers?

Another thing is IMO you're half assing it. yeah the recipe you're providing is the centre part of the dish, but what goes with it? Is it good with roast potatoes or Salad and chips? You wouldn't go to a restaurant and just expect one chicken kiev on your plate would you?

One last thing. If you're going to capitalize a few words at the end of your post, make sure you spell them right... same as the Ingredients list. eg, Chicken Breats and ERNJOY
Cheese sauce recipe is the property of Cory Allen. (Me)
:lmao: You do know that the recipe you provided is like the typical stock standard way to making cheese sauce?

So you're making a Juicy Lucy with bacon. Yeah I’ve been doing that for a while to, I love it. The only difference in mine is the placement of the bacon I believe and the Worcestershire sauce. I will cook off the bacon until it is nice and crisp, cut it down into about fours. I to use the oven technique for my burgers, but with the cheese I cut the cheese thin so it wont leak out of the burger and layer in the pre cooked bacon between the slices.

For my burgers I will not use Worcestershire sauce, I hate that. I take a teaspoon or two depending on how many I am making and add a small amount of water so the salt isn't still grainy in the water. Mix that in with the ground chuck, to the point that the burgers aren’t to loose. If you use to much water the burgers will split in the oven, trust me it happens a lot. You will have cheese all over the pan, burnt to hell.

Also with your cheese sauce have you ever tried adding butter to it? When I make cheese sauce for anything big I like to use a cup of cheese and like you a half of cup of milk. I will also put between half a stick and a full stick of butter, depending on the amount of cheese and what type I use. If it is American cheese, Colby jack, or Swiss I use more butter. Or for impure cheese like pepper jack I feel the butter takes away from the flavor, so I use less.

Certificates are called different things in Australia, but If I was fully qualified to be a Restaurant manager over here, It has nothing to do with the cooking, it means I can run a restaurant.
The program I took taught us everything. With what I learned I could do any job in any restaurant from the front and and waiting tables to the back end and cooking the food. As the degree title will tell you I can also manage a restaurant and all that goes along with it.

You say you have cooked all of these meals before but can you have it set up to look presentable?
Yes i can that's a big part of what I was taught.
If you can you're better off Cooking the food, and adding a few pictures (that you have taken yourself not just off a website) It will get more people reading the thread and more people posting in it.
Some of these I haven't made in a long time and don't have the time to cook them anytime soon.

Try making some unique recipes. Something that people wouldn't normally try. you're "inside out burger" would just taste the same as a normal burger just takes longer to make.
I will Sparky just give me time. I just pick the first one that pops into my head and eventually I'll get to the awesome foreign food I've made.
Try setting a budget. Simple meal that feeds 2 people for only $$$$ Why get all the ingredients for the chicken Kiev when I can buy 2 for $5 from the local butchers?
How much money people spend is up to them. Half of what makes cooking fun is mixing and matching things to fit your own tastes and budget. Can't afford something or just don't like it? Pick something that fits the recipe you do enjoy and can afford.
Another thing is IMO you're half assing it. yeah the recipe you're providing is the centre part of the dish, but what goes with it? Is it good with roast potatoes or Salad and chips? You wouldn't go to a restaurant and just expect one chicken kiev on your plate would you?
Well jeez Sparky should I eat it for them too? I'm just giving people a start, like i said above half of what makes cooking fun is mixing & matching and that includes the side dishes.
One last thing. If you're going to capitalize a few words at the end of your post, make sure you spell them right... same as the Ingredients list. eg, Chicken Breats and ERNJOY
I try to catch my spelling errors but some escape me.
:lmao: You do know that the recipe you provided is like the typical stock standard way to making cheese sauce?
Yeah well I posted and made it so that means it's mine and if anyone makes & sells it I demand royalties. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back