Mike Tyson - potential comeback?

Ferbian

Has Returned.
It seems reports have been going around that Mike Tyson has been working on loosing weight, and seemingly he's lost enough to be considered "in fight shape".

Mike is an old guy now, 43 year's but he's definitely a legend in the world of boxing, and his return could very well draw good money back, especially in a division which is seemingly struggling, the heavyweight division.

Last time we saw anything to Mike inside of the ring he lost through a technical knockout, the last 4 matches he suffered 3 defeats, the one by technical knockout and two by knockout.

It's obvious Mike may very well be a little worn out, and most likely won't ever be in the shape he used to be, but merely a shade of his former greatness.

So my question to you guys is: Do you think Mike will be able to make an impact on his return?

Could Mike regain one of the heavyweight championships?

Could Mike be considered an actual contender to anything, or will he suffer the same fates as he did in his final 4 fights?

He has lost weight but Mike seems content with his personal life right now.I once read an interview with Tyson where he said that when in camp for a fight he would turn into this wrecking machine to get his mindset focused on his upcoming bout,but this caused trouble as he could'nt leave that mentality at the gym door and would cause alot of hassle outside the ring for him.I would'nt rule out a return as he is in alot of debt and he has to pay the bills and the way for him to make the most money is by doing what he knows best which is fighting.I hope he does'nt come back as he seems at a stage in his life where he is settled and content with his family.

But if he does come back then there is no way he can become a contender again even fringe guys like Dimtrenko,Povetkin and Arreola would outbox him ultimately to a TKO,by all means come back and fight cans to earn a few million $$ but it would be a crying shame if he does come back thinking he can win titles or box true contenders.One thing that has crossed my mind though is that if he wants really big bucks is to fight Holyfield again in Dubai or some Arab country as this would not be sanctioned in America and those oil rich countries would throw wads of $$$ to these guys to see a type of fight like this.

I love Iron Mike Tyson, he's one on my top favorite fighter of all time. Having said, I don't see him making any real impact on the sport of boxing other than name recognition to the Heavyweight division. The last fight I remember seeing from him was his fight against Lennox Lewis and he was completely beaten in that fight. At 44 I don't know what he can bring to the table.

I remember hearing after he quit on the fight with McBride that he was finished with boxing because he didn't have the heart to do it anymore. I believed that. I think this is about money. And if so, this will not turn out well for Mike. I want to remember Tyson for the KO's, his crazy attitude, not as a washed up fighter who tried to get in there one more time only to fail. Hopefully this doesn't happen.

I, too, am a HUGE Mike Tyson fan. He's my all-time favorite boxer.

That said, he needs to stay his ass retired, and I think that's what he is going to do. Honestly, this whole "getting into shape" thing might be Tyson trying to get more acting jobs, then it is him trying to make a comeback in boxing. With the success of the Tyson documentary and The Hangover (shit The Hangover built it's entire marketing scheme around the Mike Tyson scene in the movie, and now it's one of the biggest box office comedies ever), Tyson might be looking to continue that success, but to do that and get more job opportunities in the entertainment industry, he had to drop the weight, and props to him... he did just that.

So, yeah.... I love Tyson, but I never want him to step foot in the ring again. His last fights were hard enough to sit through; just can't imagine what a 43-year-old Mike Tyson would go through in today's Heavyweight scene. Nah, let him stick to the entertainment business, and hopefully he'll have a ton of success there.

True JMT, it could very well just be due to Mike wanting to get into movie roles, but let's not forget that he's not the only one who have been getting movie roles while in bad shape, or for that sake let's remember that he was in The Hangover and he did NOT look in shape there.

He lost about 40 pounds as far as I understand, it seems like a lot for the sake of getting into a movie role, as opposed to get in shape to step inside of the ring again.

But I definitely agree, Mike returning would be a shame, he's old and should stay retired, he's most likely also out of shape and wouldn't be able to go at the same level he was able to back in the days.

And to top it off, I think a potential return could do nothing more than to tarnish his legacy, hell might even add another knockout defeat to his resume, which would be a shame.

Maybe he is getting in shape for personal reasons like his pride after being a great fighter then not wanting to become a fat slob.

I hope he doesn't return because i dont think he can make an impact or regain his championships. Look at Holyfield, he is trying to face anyone he can to get his old glory back, but he needs to accept he had a great career, it was never going to last forever and he should be proud of what he did accomplish, not tarnish his name by trying to cash in.

A Tyson comeback wouldnt really be that lucrative because i dont think he can win the fights to earn his rematch, he would probably have to win at least 2 fights and then have his title shot. I dont think the warm up fights have the same financial value because the kind of fighters he would face would be the Audley Harrisons who are not draws in the slightest

Throw my name in there for being a Tyson fan as well. It was awesome growing up watching him demolish people up untill those last couple fights, then it was a bit painful to watch him. Well maybe not in the Danny Williams fight because he had a legit knee injury that he suffered in the 1st round, and he couldn't put any pressure on it to throw his punches, which led to him getting KO'd in the 4th.

I don't want to see a Tyson comeback, to be honest I don't think theres really a chance for him to be a contender and be able to fight top ranked boxers anymore. He hasn't fought in 5 years already and probably hasn't been training in a ring since then. The only good thing about a potential comeback again would be that it would make him some money since he is pretty much broke, because no matter who he faced a known name or not it would still draw and put money in his pocket. But yeah I think his overall boxing skills are to diminished to be a contender to win a championship. Theres no way he could go into late rounds of a fight anymore.

Now I have seen reports online that have said he lost a considerable amount of weight as well somewhere in the range of 40-60 pounds over the past couple months. Does that mean he is doing it for boxing, who knows? There was even an article on ESPN back in March where Don King was interviewed because there were rumors circling that Tyson/Holyfield 3 was in the works, which he said wasn't true. But when asked if he was gonna fight someone else he had a no comment for his answer. I'll post the link below.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4969646

I was thinking that it is possible Tyson could be getting back into fighting shape for another go at an exhibition tour. As I said earlier he is broke, so this could be a way for him to make some money. I'm pretty sure nobody would want to see an out of shape 300+ lb Tyson in the ring. I guess for now all we can do is speculate on what he is losing the weight for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back