• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mike & Mitch's Magical Movie Madness (and some TV shows)

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Mitch brings the magic.
I bring the madness.

So today I got my Die Hard 25th Anniversary blu-ray set in the mail. I watched the first movie all the way through with commentary from John McTiernan. On the one hand, his perspective on that movie is fantastic. On the other, listening to him disabled me from properly watching Alan Rickman blow my mind.

I really dislike Die Hard 2, but I suppose I should watch it for the sake of continuity. I have never seen 3 or 4, so I figured this set would be the best way to experience the series, before I have to force myself through five to appease my obsessive need to finish a series. It can't be as bad as Twilight, and I sat through that shit.

So far, I like the set. My only real complaint is that 1-3 still haven't been remastered. They are the same BR copies from the original releases, which look better than VHS, but I hear when you see the fourth there's a canyon of difference. The packaging is really nice, its in traditional 5-disc book layout, and each page has really cool graphic work depicting scenes fromt he movie. Each disc, while still being the same video rip from the BR releases, has been slapped with a fresh cover so that all look sexy and uniform. I hate when releases just take the first discs from single release and throw them together in a box (fuck you Harry Potter).

There's a fifth disc called "Decoding Die Hard" which I haven't touched, and won't until I finish the series. I'll let you know when I get there. Special features are limited to what was on the original release, so most of them look old (because they ARE old). They range from commercial ads to HBO "first look" packages to being able to pick only the scenes you want to see, and play them out. Which is really fucking useless, because who just sits down and says "I want to watch the 8th, 23rd and 14th scene from Die Hard 3, in that order"?

3's pretty good, that's the one with SLJ right

Yes. And I just got done watching it. Much better than the second movie. But then, it would be, since they brought back John McTiernan for it. The Gruber brother was no Alan Rickman, but he was MUCH better than the nameless bad guys workign for the nameless dictator in Die Hard 2. Sam Jackson was the best decision the third movie made. The whole movie hinges on Willis and Jackson playing off each other, and their chemistry is awesome.

A shame that someone told Timothy Olyphant to leave his charisma at home while filming Die Hard 4.

Please! I fucking love Alan Rickman but choosing between him and Jeremy Irons is like choosing between my own dangerously attractive children.

Who is Mitch?

:suspic:

Kind of hard to pick out the most hilarious moment in Vengeance, but the first meeting between Zeus and John is a top contender.

[YOUTUBE]dwpfSkB8nls[/YOUTUBE]

Part 4 might grow on me if I see it again, and Die Hard 2 still bores me.

While watching Die Hard 3, I was really hoping Sam Jackson would be able to understand the German terrorists, so that Bruce Willis could say "what's the point of having a ***** who can speak German, if you can't wheel her out when you have a German guest!?"

[YOUTUBE]IAooXLAPoBQ[/YOUTUBE]

I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to quote "the line" from Pulp Fiction. I expect this to be the last time. Otherwise, I may have to red rep somebody for the first time.

1. You'll have to forgive me, I am not up to date on pop culture and geniunely have no idea if something is over used.

2. It was more of an observation of Willis/Jackson collaborations than anything, hence the Unbreakable comment.

3. Say what again, I dare you, I double dare you!

Watching a horror flick named Lovely Molly, and yeah, it's shit. Then again, it's directed, co-written, and edited by one of the co-directors for The Blair Witch Project, so I'm not too surprised.

Torn between Jack The Giant Slayer and Emperor for in-theaters stuff this week, but if I go with Emperor, it'll have to be on discount Tuesdays, because I'm not paying the full $10.00 price for that.

I still haven't been to the theaters yet this year. By this time in 2012 I had gone I think 8 times. The year is starting to pick up, but it's all big-budget action films that I care about. Which is weird, because they're usually the last thing I care about. Oblivion, Iron Man, Thor, Ender's Game, Man of Steel, etc. etc.

Two theaters are really close to my house (one's a huge multiplex, the other is small and more homely theater with only 13 screens), so I never have to worry about burning too much gas money. I'm a movie junkie, so I go whenever I have free time. Especially on Tuesdays, because both theaters do the $6.00 discount (it's more for 3D).

Although, I've cut back a lot recently. The Evil Dead remake is the only upcoming theater movie I really want to see. I really wanted to watch Stoker on the big screen, but the 13 screen theater doesn't have it, and fucking Oz The Great & Powerful is taking up a lot of screens at the multiplex.

Two theaters are really close to my house (one's a huge multiplex, the other is small and more homely theater with only 13 screens).

Only 13?! That's more than the largest cinema that we have! Albeit only by a screen, but still.

There's a little art house kind of cinema that only has 3 screens. One of them essentially feels like someone's big living room which is kinda cool, especially when they tend to show classic films or newer action films in there. Had some ace nights in the 'big living room'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back