• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Michael Cole

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
Thanks Becca, your Lawler thread gave me new hope that Announcers can indeed be the focus point of discussion. :lmao:

Now then, while I assume this thread will fail quicker than the XFL, this has legitimately been something on my mind for a while.

After watching Raw and the backstage segment with Cole and Shaq, I've come to the conclusion that Cole truly doesn't care for being with the Company and would much rather be unseen, and at times unheard.

In recent years, Michael Cole has openly expressed how Wrestling isn't his love and its just a job to him. With this being said, why is he the new Jim Ross of Monday Night Raw?? Surely, Matt Striker or even Todd Grisham have more enthusiasm to be the host of a top brand show. Move Cole to E.C.W, or better yet, Smackdown. (I don't get Smackdown, so I wouldn't have to hear him for the most part.)

So, the objective of this thread is to discuss your opinions of Michael Cole. Do you think he deserves the role he has? Do you think he should be canned/released and replaced? Do you think his role is too big, and perhaps he needs to be moved elsewhere??

For me, I just don't get excited from listening to Michael Cole. I get bored. And when I seen that segment on Raw, I get an overwhelming sense of fake joy. Cole tried, half-assed I might add, to seem excited that Shaq was there. When in the end, once he was done talking - he went directly back to that sad, "please shoot me", look on his face.

I'm sick and tired of listening to a guy who doesn't want to be there. And the W.W.E needs to know this as well. You aren't going to sell a product, when the person trying to sell it, doesn't even buy into it. So, what are everyone's thoughts on Michael Cole?

Well you know what....I agree 100% get someone who wants to be there and get rid of him...move him down to ECW or just get rid of him all together...Bring back Joey Styles...easily one of the most excitable guys the WWE had. Bring him back to raw and let him bring some life back into what we are watching on the TV.

Well the main issue here is the fact that Cole is high on Mcmahons Replacement Jim Ross list, so basically he will be there for the long run no matter if Cole likes it or not, the fact that hes getting paid rather well for what hes doing is encouragement enough.

Joey IMO should have replaced Ross on Raw but was left in limbo due to the fact that Vince doesnt like his commentary (no surprise) and the problem here is not with styles it is with Mcmahon, how can anyone be the replacement of Ross if we hear Vince breathing down their necks feeding them lines that he has no idea what hes even talking about himself.

When i used to listen to vince on the WWE shows, he attempted to bring the commentary position something new, but the problem was he was a face commentator who had no idea what he was doing at the desk, and the main issue is why is this man telling everyone else what to do with their respective roles?

If he keeps doing it he will end up driving people like Ross,Styles, Foley, Tazz and the rest away because they cant put up with his obsessive whining and bitching, thats the reason why Coles their, Cole will take whatever Mcmahon gives him and act all super positive in front of the chairman of the board, but when he goes on commentary he will just sit their moping as he always does because he doesnt want to be there, would you want to be in an environment with your boss chewing you out every five minutes even though he has no knowledge of what you are doing?

Im Sure i wouldnt

After watching Raw and the backstage segment with Cole and Shaq, I've come to the conclusion that Cole truly doesn't care for being with the Company and would much rather be unseen, and at times unheard.
How do you know he doesn’t care for the company Will? Has he actually said “I don’t care for the WWE?” If he didn’t care for the company then he wouldn’t have worked for them for over a decade and he wouldn’t be in the position he is in
In recent years, Michael Cole has openly expressed how Wrestling isn't his love and its just a job to him.
I would love for you to find me evidence of this. Anyways, let’s say he has said this, what do you want him to treat his “job” as? He does this because he needs to make a living and he gets payed for doing…therefore it is a “job”.
With this being said, why is he the new Jim Ross of Monday Night Raw??
Vince wants him to be the one to replace Jim Ross.
Surely, Matt Striker or even Todd Grisham have more enthusiasm to be the host of a top brand show.
Matt Striker is a color commentator and Todd Grisham isn’t as good as Cole.
Move Cole to E.C.W, or better yet, Smackdown. (I don't get Smackdown, so I wouldn't have to hear him for the most part.)
Why move him if he’s the best play-by-play commentator the WWE currently has? I guess you could say J.R is the best one currently but it can be either one of them, and for me it’s Cole.
So, the objective of this thread is to discuss your opinions of Michael Cole.
I like Michael Cole and I don’t think he deserves to get shit on so much.
Do you think he deserves the role he has?
Yes.
Do you think he should be canned/released and replaced?
No.
Do you think his role is too big, and perhaps he needs to be moved elsewhere??
No, he’s the best man for the job and should stay where he is at.
For me, I just don't get excited from listening to Michael Cole. I get bored. And when I seen that segment on Raw, I get an overwhelming sense of fake joy. Cole tried, half-assed I might add, to seem excited that Shaq was there. When in the end, once he was done talking - he went directly back to that sad, "please shoot me", look on his face.
At least he tried showing joy. Some other commentator might have not expressed any type of feeling at all. And why should he be excited that Shaq is there? You have someone who comes from the industry that looks down upon the industry that Michael works for. Why should he be excited at all?
I'm sick and tired of listening to a guy who doesn't want to be there.
Do you know he doesn’t want to be there? Maybe he does want to be there but it doesn’t feel that way because Vince doesn’t want him to commentate the way Cole wants to commentate.
And the W.W.E needs to know this as well.
They probably do know that there’s people who dislike or hate Michael Cole.
You aren't going to sell a product, when the person trying to sell it, doesn't even buy into it.
How do you know he doesn’t buy into it? Maybe it appears that way but that’s not his fault.
So, what are everyone's thoughts on Michael Cole?
Like I said in this post and other threads, he is a good commentator and doesn’t deserve to be shit on so much.

I tend to believe that Cole will be around as long as he keeps shilling for vince, who was probably the worst announcer i have ever heard by the way. Maybe if he had someone who knew what he was doing in his ear, Cole wouldn't be so bad, but as it stands, between Cole/Vince and John Cena, Raw is almost unwatchable.

Don't really care for Cole much. He is kind of boring and his smiles seem a little forced.

As far as Vince being in his ear, that would unsettle me to no end and make me extremely uncomfortable. Doubt I could work effectively in such a crappy environment. Gordon Solie would be rolling over in his grave.

As far as ruining Raw. Eh. I say it is a factor of things. Randy Orton's boring character, only three guys in the main event, Vince corrupting the announcers, it is a factor of many things. I dont think any one or two things would drop ratings. Though the viewing public seemed to love Shaq. After he retires they should bring him back full time.

Do you know he doesn’t want to be there? Maybe he does want to be there but it doesn’t feel that way because Vince doesn’t want him to commentate the way Cole wants to commentate.

How do you know he doesn’t buy into it? Maybe it appears that way but that’s not his fault.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Winner-Winner Chicken Dinner.

The interesting thing is that why is it that nobody had a problem with Cole when he was on Smackdown? Because of 2 things ...

1) His commentary style was A LOT different on Smackdown. He routinely got excited, and demonstrated a lot of enthusiasm for the product.

2) Because he WAS on Smackdown, BUT Jim Ross WAS on Raw.

People are very protective of Jim Ross, and that is part of the problem. And I definitely think there is a lot of bias that is coming into play.

However, if people would open their eyes across the board, is it really just Michael Cole that sounds like he isn't all that enthused about the product? When I listen to the commentators speak, that statement would also apply to: Jerry Lawler, Jim Ross, and Todd Grisham. Josh Matthews and Matt Striker sound a little more enthusiastic, but that is more than likely because McMahon doesn't harp on ECW as much as he does Raw and Smackdown.

Things are the way they are, and the mood is much more low-key because that is EXACTLY what Vince McMahon wants it to be. So, if anyone has a problem with Michael Cole, I think it's about time we start holding the right person accountable. That being Vince.

Nothing goes on TV for any real length of time, unless Vince McMahon approves of it. Not only does McMahon simply approve of Cole's style and the more somber style of commentary across Raw and Smackdown, he actually dictates that it be that way. It may be asinine to us, but it is absolutely true. Ross has addressed this several times on his blog, and has stated that he gets yelled at now when he gets "too excited", and made his preference known that the Face/Heel broadcast teams were superior to today. Obviously, the announcers can't just be a Face or Heel on their own, and this directive comes from above.

You've seen what Cole is capable of doing on Smackdown for many years, and I thought he was just fine. He sucks today because of the commentary style Vince dictates to him. It has nothing to do with him, personally.

If people think that commentators have control over the style of commentary on the broadcasts, you are in essence showing that you really have no comprehension of how much control and influence Vince exerts over all Creative aspects of his company. Vince is arms-deep into this facet of the company, as well as the entire Creative team, as even Ross states. He is a very HANDS-ON Chairman of the Board in this single facet of the company, and I personally think he is too hands-on ... so much so that he loses site of the overall quality of the entire product because of it.

I'll take Mike Tenay and Don West's tradition Face/Heel commentary any day over any of the Broadcast duos of today. At least they are somewhat entertaining to listen to. One of the few good decisions Jeff Jarrett has made over the years.

While Sidious has a point with Cole having a different style on SD, do we know that everything was recorded live and not reworked between Tuesday and Friday?

But even on PPV he sounded a little more fresh as an SD guy than now. Just watch No Way Out 07 for proof.

Still he does make Raw worse. Its touch to listen to at times. He can't sell a promo or a match anymore. And it seems like its rubbing off on The King too, but he hasn't been that good in years anyway.

Cole is much better as a backstage guy only

IMO, he's not that bad. I can tolerate listening to him. He's not as bad as Adamle, and he's really only there for play-by-play. If there is a suplex, he announces it's a suplex. JR does the same exact thing. Adamle would probably say "surtex" or something. The guy is a veteran and he's honestly not that bad. His character is a professional. Color Commentary is there to joke around and add color to the program (hint the name).

I'm sure you all remember the article here a while back that said that Vince wanted the commentators to back off a little bit so the viewers at home could hear the slams and natural elements of wrestling.

So the real question is: HOW does he make Raw and worse? Is it just the fact that everybody is still stuck in the past and wishes JR should be on Raw? Give me some actual evidence as to WHY you all hate him, and not any of that "cus he sucks" shit. I want some actual evidence.

Here's the thing. You have two different versions of Cole. You have the old Smackdown guy, and the new Raw guy. To which I preferred the Smackdown version of Cole. He was a far better commentator... I don't know what happen when he moved over to raw. There was a time for awhile where I thought that he and Taz were a better pair then King and Jr. To be honest if he went back to his old style of commentating he would be fine, and everyone wouldn't have a problem with it. Vince just needs to let him go out there like he did on Smackdown.

i really dont understand why ppl give him a hard time... i guess alot of ppl are just crazy over j.r. not being on "the best show" anymore.

ppl also need to see that ALL the announcers aren't as excited in their announcing anymore.. vince has done well in cutting out their commotion.

so why single cole out? cole has been the third longest announcer they currently have.. hes obvioulsy younger and i feel j.r. isn't exactly healthy and i think he has a "lighter" schedule on SD! now.. i could be wrong but raw tours to other countries alot more than SD! does..

cole isn't the best.. but he makes a good runner-up... and he fits perfectly in with raw right now.. j.r is on smackdown now and i dont see that changing anytime soon.. so to sum it up for all of you... if he was half as bad as you guys say he is, then he wouldn't still be at the raw announce table now would he?

although i must say hes acting in backstage scenes in terrible lol!!

I think the parts I underlined are important, because it's how I feel Vince wants to take the direction his announcers. He wants the announcers to not be characters, but rather nameless faces, to give the presentation about the stars, and put more emphasis on the stars. I feel as though Vince wants the announcer to get the star over, and not himself. Therefore, he leaves his announcers pretty bland on the personality, and really doesn't give them much to work with, at all. The thing that Vince is wrong on, in my opinion, is this concept that the announcer is getting himself over by having passion, and not the wrestler. That's a complete logical fallacy on Vince's part. It's unreasonable to think that you're superstar is going to get over if the announcer is speaking with no passion, and is more or less just telling you what is going on in the ring. That connection was so vital for men like Jim Ross to get Stone Cold over, and to a lesser extent, Jerry Lawler getting Bret over while they were feuding. Sure, he was cracking jokes at Bret's expense, but he was also getting Bret pretty damn over with his commentary.

I feel that Michael fits that "no personality" mindset that Vince desires of his commentators, and that is what makes Michael so appealing to Vince. as for Michael's passion, I don't question that. I question his passion for getting yelled at by Vince. But I don't question his passion for the business. If he didn't want to be there, he would've left a long time ago. Announcers just aren't that important to Vince, for some reason. Hell, he's had no problems letting JR and King go. Why would he have any problem letting Cole go?

It just seems like people jumped on the Michael Cole hate bandwagon because it became "cool". Yes, You will hear Michael Cole say a wrong word from time to time, but when your on national television every week, your bound to make a mistake. In reality, Michael isn't that bad, if you have a man screaming in your headset to say something, your going to say it. Why, well, Michael has to do thinks like, you know, pay the bills and feed the family.

JR says it, and Mick Foley says it, Vince is very demanding with his commentary teams. Michael Cole isn't on the same level of JR and Mick Foley professionally, so if he doesn't say something Vince wants, the reaprecussions could be worse. Like Savage Taker said, He doesn't deserved to be shit on as much as he is.

I mean, Seriously, what's to hate about the guy?

The guy is only fucking doing what Vince is demanding, and screaming, at the guy to do. Vince has made it very apparent that he wants his announcers to put over talent without actually putting over the actual commentator. It's why he's free to let men such as JR and The King leave, and have no problem with it. He wants for his commentators to lack that personality, yet also put the talent over. You know how fucking impossible that is to do? It drove fucking Mick Foley to quit. You have to be a dick to make Mick Foley quit.

Got a problem with his laugh? What do you expect him to do, just sit there and not point out when we're supposed to find something funny? He's gotta do something funny, and if the laughing isn't real, then what the fuck is he supposed to do?

Do you hate his repetition of words? Who cares? JR was doing it for years. "Stone Cold! Stone Cold! Stone Cold!" Who cares if he's repeating himself?

Are you mad because he replaced JR? Do you think that was his decision? Do you think he came to Vince, and was just like, "Hey, Vinnie, how about you let me take over Raw for ya?" Sorry, don't think that conversation happened.

Anyway, the guy is only doing his fucking job. So why do you dislike the guy, when he only has so much leeway room? You'd better fucking come on strong here.

I think the parts I underlined are important, because it's how I feel Vince wants to take the direction his announcers. He wants the announcers to not be characters, but rather nameless faces, to give the presentation about the stars, and put more emphasis on the stars. I feel as though Vince wants the announcer to get the star over, and not himself. Therefore, he leaves his announcers pretty bland on the personality, and really doesn't give them much to work with, at all. The thing that Vince is wrong on, in my opinion, is this concept that the announcer is getting himself over by having passion, and not the wrestler. That's a complete logical fallacy on Vince's part. It's unreasonable to think that you're superstar is going to get over if the announcer is speaking with no passion, and is more or less just telling you what is going on in the ring. That connection was so vital for men like Jim Ross to get Stone Cold over, and to a lesser extent, Jerry Lawler getting Bret over while they were feuding. Sure, he was cracking jokes at Bret's expense, but he was also getting Bret pretty damn over with his commentary.

I feel that Michael fits that "no personality" mindset that Vince desires of his commentators, and that is what makes Michael so appealing to Vince. as for Michael's passion, I don't question that. I question his passion for getting yelled at by Vince. But I don't question his passion for the business. If he didn't want to be there, he would've left a long time ago. Announcers just aren't that important to Vince, for some reason. Hell, he's had no problems letting JR and King go. Why would he have any problem letting Cole go?

I'd rep you for that post, because it reflects my same opinion 100% on what is going on with today's commentary, but I am maxed out for rep at the moment. I will get back to you.

Just to add even more credence, that most likely is also the same reason why it was reported that Vince didn't want his referees being called by their names anymore, and rather simply wanted them referred to as "the official", whenever a match is going on.

The man, for whatever reason, is absolutely obsessed with his audience focusing all of their attention on the in-ring action, without being distracted by commentators, ringside managers, or even referees so that 100% of the focus is on the wrestlers in the ring.

Again, it's basically like we are now comparably witnessing a greater form of scripted Amateur Wrestling ... instead of traditional American pro wrestling. And this is a product that much more resembles the Japanese style of pro wrestling, where the audience sits in utter silence, while intently focusing on the in-ring action ... while providing mild applause whenever a key maneuver is done.

But it simply amazes me the things that Vince absolutely gets to the point of being obsessive over. Unfortunately, it's at the expense of taking the actual "E" out of the World Wrestling ENTERTAINMENT. Instead of an "entertainment" program, he seemingly wants his older fans to start looking at it as an "athletic program" which his fans derive their entertainment from simply analyzing the technicality of the matches, more than anything else ... while keeping the kids happy with characters like Hornswoggle and Rey Mysterio.

I would have rather Vince marketed his product more so as an Action/Drama program as he was doing in the late 90's and early part of this decade, but now he is seemingly and subtly marketing it as "Entertainment" to the public on the surface, however subtly portrays wrestling to its own fans as a "sport", in its own right.

We're going to beat it into their thick skulls eventually, Tenta. Keep at it, as I admire your tenacity in getting the truth out there.

To the people who blame Michael Cole, I'd love to hear why you blame Michael Cole and not Vince McMahon?

Do you honestly think that Vince really doesn't exhibit this type of control over the announcers that has been widely reported everywhere across the newsboards, and by Dave Meltzer?

Why do you think Michael Cole seemingly changed his commentary style overnight when he went from Smackdown to Raw? Just because he felt like it? If that is the case, why does Vince "tolerate" it.

Why is Lawler toned down? Why is Jim Ross more subdued than usual on Smackdown? Why does Grisham not sound all that excited in calling the action? Why give Cole shit, but not call out the others on it, too?

Is Tenta right in his accusation, that we simply have JR marks who are still fussing to this day about having him moved to Smackdown? Everyone gets on Cole's case for his routine catchphrases like "vintage". It's a Fucking joke, alright? Do you honestly think he does not do that on purpose each week? I never heard people got upset when Ross used his catchphrases like "it's gonna be a slobberknocker" or "business is about to pickup".

People get on Cole's case for saying "the Viper is about to strike", but yet I never heard anyone get upset when Ross would say "The Rattlesnake is in a foul mood tonight" every single week on Raw. Why the double standard?

Ross certainly isn't much better any more in this day and age, but are we blaming him personally for his toned down style? No. I blame Vince, not Jim Ross.

What I think it is, is people who attach a sentimental value to Jim Ross, because he was simply the Top Play by Play Commentator during the time when wrestling fans were most in love with the business ... that being the Attitude Era. That period is sentimental for a lot of people, and therefore Jim Ross is God in their eyes, despite the fact that he basically has the exact same somber style as Michael Cole in this period of time.

Would putting JR and King back together really solve the problems with the commentary style? If anyone was actually paying attention, before Ross was sent to Smackdown, those two together were NOT the same Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler that were together from back in the Attitude Era. Their style was already being drastically changed and they were as boring together as all get-out.

Why blame Cole when he is only doing what he is told?

I honestly don’t think Cole deserves to be shit on so much and none of it is warranted. Right now I consider him the best play-by-play commentator in the WWE. Yes, I did say the best, meaning I don’t consider little old Jim Ross to be the best anymore. J.R just annoys me now and I don’t like listening to him anymore.

I know people are going to come into this thread and say they are tired of him using the words “Vintage” and that they are tired of him “overusing” other words. Yet ironically enough, those people want J.R. back as the voice of Raw. Even though J.R. has just as many or hell, even more words that he overuses than Cole. It really just shows the hypocrisy of some of the people that hate Cole but want Ross back.

Then we have people saying that he has no passion for the business. I don’t believe that one bit. I think is a crock of shit people would actually say that. Why would he stick around doing virtually the same thing for over a decade and have no passion doing it. Do people actually think Cole is stupid enough to continue doing something he doesn’t have a passion for? Any normal person would have quit long ago if they just didn’t like doing their job. Also, the fact that he remains doing that job with Vince screaming in his ear for probably year’s now just shows that he has a lot of passion. Someone without passion would have told Vince to fuck off already for screaming at him.

Then we have his emotions. Does it really matter that much? He’s not supposed to show emotions because that’s not what Vince wants him to do. We have Jim Ross who can’t even show any type of emotion, even though it’s not his fault, and people don’t complain about that. I know there’s a reason he can’t show any emotions but there’s other ways to show your emotions without using your face. I don’t hear any emotion from J.R. at all. Like I said, he just annoys me now. He has been given plenty of reasons to show emotions via the way he sounds during commentary, yet I don’t hear any of it coming from him. But Cole still gets shit on for not showing his emotions? Some people really never cease to amaze me.

Lastly, I want to say one more thing. Michael Cole does his job like Vince wants him to do it because I think there’s some fear that Vince gives to people. We know that Vince had no problem releasing Jerry Lawler and Jim Ross in the past, so why would he have a problem getting rid of Cole? I think Cole has fear that he might lose his job if he doesn’t do it accordingly or that he might be punished for it. Want prove Vince will punish his commentators? It was reported that when Jonathan Coachman was still with the WWE commentating on Smackdown, he had on little screw up where he didn’t move out of the way when wrestlers came near him, and do you know what Vince did? He forced him to take the finishers of some of the wrestlers. He was punished because of a little screw up, so why would Vince have a problem with punishing Cole? Now tell me, what announcer wouldn’t be scared of Vince releasing him or punishing them?

On certain topics, some people just seem to think too hard about why people's opinions are what they are. I can't speak for anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned; I'm fully aware that Michael Cole does a perfectly satisfactory job at what he is supposed to do, regardless of the insanely annoying and bland catch phrases he has and whatnot. The fact is simply that even though I know he's good at what he does, he still annoys me. He annoys the shit out of me. And, I enjoy making fun of him for that.

No big deal.

I think it's just fun to poke fun at him ever since he almost got raped by Heidenreich.

But seriously, there's really nothing wrong with him. I think the increase in exposure since he moved to RAW is the main reason why there's so much heat on him. It's no secret that RAW's been in the shitter for the better part of the past year, and people need a scapegoat every once in a while. However you have to realize that most of us don't actually HATE Michael Cole, we just like keeping entertained by picking at his tendencies here and there. Besides, Vince seems like he's TRYING to push Cole as the nerdy little guy to make fun of given his backstage segment with Shaq on Monday.

I honestly don’t think Cole deserves to be shit on so much and none of it is warranted. Right now I consider him the best play-by-play commentator in the WWE. Yes, I did say the best, meaning I don’t consider little old Jim Ross to be the best anymore. J.R just annoys me now and I don’t like listening to him anymore.

I know people are going to come into this thread and say they are tired of him using the words “Vintage” and that they are tired of him “overusing” other words. Yet ironically enough, those people want J.R. back as the voice of Raw. Even though J.R. has just as many or hell, even more words that he overuses than Cole. It really just shows the hypocrisy of some of the people that hate Cole but want Ross back.

Then we have people saying that he has no passion for the business. I don’t believe that one bit. I think is a crock of shit people would actually say that. Why would he stick around doing virtually the same thing for over a decade and have no passion doing it. Do people actually think Cole is stupid enough to continue doing something he doesn’t have a passion for? Any normal person would have quit long ago if they just didn’t like doing their job. Also, the fact that he remains doing that job with Vince screaming in his ear for probably year’s now just shows that he has a lot of passion. Someone without passion would have told Vince to fuck off already for screaming at him.

Then we have his emotions. Does it really matter that much? He’s not supposed to show emotions because that’s not what Vince wants him to do. We have Jim Ross who can’t even show any type of emotion, even though it’s not his fault, and people don’t complain about that. I know there’s a reason he can’t show any emotions but there’s other ways to show your emotions without using your face. I don’t hear any emotion from J.R. at all. Like I said, he just annoys me now. He has been given plenty of reasons to show emotions via the way he sounds during commentary, yet I don’t hear any of it coming from him. But Cole still gets shit on for not showing his emotions? Some people really never cease to amaze me.

Lastly, I want to say one more thing. Michael Cole does his job like Vince wants him to do it because I think there’s some fear that Vince gives to people. We know that Vince had no problem releasing Jerry Lawler and Jim Ross in the past, so why would he have a problem getting rid of Cole? I think Cole has fear that he might lose his job if he doesn’t do it accordingly or that he might be punished for it. Want prove Vince will punish his commentators? It was reported that when Jonathan Coachman was still with the WWE commentating on Smackdown, he had on little screw up where he didn’t move out of the way when wrestlers came near him, and do you know what Vince did? He forced him to take the finishers of some of the wrestlers. Someone who isn’t a trained wrestler was forced to take finishing maneuvers from trained professionals because of a little screw up. Now tell me, what announcer wouldn’t be scared of Vince releasing him or punishing them?

Just a very quick clarification on one part of your post. I think you are right on target with everything regarding Michael Cole, as you and I both know. You, myself, and Tenta all seem on the same page and understand that Vince is behind Cole and for that matter ALL of the announcers for being toned down.

But the part about Coachman in claiming he wasn't a trained wrestler isn't entirely accurate. Coachman was trained in the ring and wrestled quite a few occasions on television, one or two PPV's over the years, and I even saw him wrestle at a House Show in Reading, PA on one occasion. He took the finish maneuvers because Vince knew he could do it. I seriously doubt Vince would punish anyone like that who did not know what they were doing in the ring. But I will say this much, if Coach would have somehow got injured by those guys doing their finish moves on him, I bet Vince would have paid every cent of his medical bills, being that it wasn't a contracted match or anything.

But I agree with you in the sense that, that "punishment" was kind of "out there". He should have had a simple conversation with him in the back about it, and I'm sure it would have sufficed.

The fact is simply that even though I know he's good at what he does, he still annoys me. He annoys the shit out of me. And, I enjoy making fun of him for that.

No big deal.

Ok, fine, at least it's reasoning; it's severely flawed, but it's reasoning.

Suppose I watched you while you were doing your work. I found you boring. So I started booing you. I then start to call for your replacement, saying you're no good for the job. I say I find you annoying. I don't know you as a person, but I find you annoying. I don't have to know what kind of human being you are away from your job; all I have to do is find you annoying.

Really like that to happen? Huh? Well, that's basically what you're doing to this guy. You know nothing of him, yet call him annoying. That's terrific reasoning right there. :rolleyes:

On certain topics, some people just seem to think too hard about why people's opinions are what they are. I can't speak for anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned; I'm fully aware that Michael Cole does a perfectly satisfactory job at what he is supposed to do, regardless of the insanely annoying and bland catch phrases he has and whatnot.
Ladies and Gentlemen this right here is the thing that annoys me and shows a lot of the hypocrisy of the people who bash Cole yet they give Jim Ross praise. Ross has just as many if not more annoying and bland catchphrases than Cole yet people point this out for Cole yet don’t do the same for J.R. I’m not directing that at you lunghater, but it’s a general statement about something that annoys me that some people do. So, if you’re going to say Cole has bland catchphrases then don’t go turn around and praise J.R. because he is not any better, currently.

Seriously, he has had catchphrases that I can remember from 10 years ago that he still uses to this very day. 10 fucking years ago he was using catchphrases like “slobber knocker”, “business is about to pick up”, and I can continue naming many more he still uses. Why is it that those don’t get annoying and bland after over a decade of using them? Oh yeah, I forgot he is Jim Ross so he’s the exception to the rule. :rolleyes:
The fact is simply that even though I know he's good at what he does, he still annoys me. He annoys the shit out of me. And, I enjoy making fun of him for that.
Wait…so you admit he’s good at what he does yet he still annoys you even though he’s good at what he does? Do you care to explain why he annoys you? It would really be helpful because simply stating he annoys you isn’t really a reason as to why you don’t like him. What does he do or say that annoys you? I would love to know why that is.

People need to quit hating on Cole. He is a great announcer especially when he was the voice of Smackdown for all those years. Its not his fault that Vince wants the announcers toned down. Its not like Cole is trying to be this announcer we all get bored of, Vince just wants the announcers to call the matches right down the middle and not really be biased towards certain superstars. Seriously though why does everybody keep hating on Cole? Nobody hates on JR or King or even Striker...

Cole isn't too bad, on SmackDown with Taz he was actually quite good.

I think though becuase he is now on Raw, he is being comapred to JR, seeing as how he took his spot.

One thing is for sure, when The King was on commentary during the Diva's match on Raw whilst Cole was looking for Shaq, we certainly missed him, as King seemed a little out of his depth.

Wow...some of you are very passionate about Michael Cole. Michael Cole isn't this passionate about Michael Cole.

Do I make fun of Michael Cole? No. However, he does not add to my enjoyment of the product. JR does.

Of course we all have our different opinions, but something about JR is very natural and comfortable. JR is (to steal a line) the best in the world at what he does. He makes me feel like I'm watching wrestling with my wise grandfather instead of my goofy "trying to be cool" dad.

I will gladly grant that the intense scrutiny of Cole isn't necessary and I often feel bad for the poor guy, but nevertheless..he's no JR and that's not his fault. I play guitar but I'm no Jimmy Page. It's just the way it is.

I'm happy the lesser announcer is on the lesser show anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back