• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Michael Cole - Enzo & Big Cass' Debut

Low_Ki

Former WZCW Tag Team Champion
This may come off as a rant, and maybe it is, but I really think that Michael Cole's commentary is hindering a lot of talent right now.

Namely, Enzo and Big Cass. They debuted on Raw to easily the biggest reaction of the night, and Michael Cole figuratively shit on them. Sure he ran through their background in NXT, but started making out like he was going to heel on them but not go all the way.

I don't like to make comparisons between Cole and JR, because JR is 'retired' from the WWE machine, but seriously, had that been JR, he would have sold shock, excitement and awe at this debut, because in order to get them over with the WWE fanbase, that is one of the things that needs to be done.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Am I getting pissed off for nothing?

All opinions and views welcome.

Personally, I think you're pissed off at nothing and this sounds like another round of hate aimed at Michael Cole for whatever reason. I don't think anything Michael Cole says or doesn't say has much to do with any talent getting over whatsoever.

I wasn't paying the slightest degree of attention to Michael Cole during their entrance and I don't think most of anyone else was either. They were too busy being excited by their appearance and hanging on every single word Enzo said. Cass, while not as strong of a personality, very much had the fans behind him when he's doing the SAWFT aspect of the routine. There's potential money in these two just as there has been with New Day: they seem kinda goofy in some ways on the surface, but they're able to channel it into highly entertaining promo work.

If anything's going to hold them back, I think it's the standard formula Vince prefers for tag team matches.

Michael cole is just doing is job, if vince wants him to downplay somebody's debut, he really doesn't have a choice in the matter and will downplay the debut. Michael is technically the voice of vince mcmahon and tha will not change for now.

I really didn't find anything Cole said to be offensive, neither JBL. Saxton of course who knows them well, was all over them.

At least they weren't treated like the Ascension where on their debut, and Enzo and Cass with that pop they got and if they can keep it up should do quite well. Besides I'm just waiting for Cole to say something nasty and get nailed for it by Enzo. That would be a highlight for me, and he's capable for doing it.

It's not really the job of the announcers to put wrestlers over, don't forget the fans in the arena can't hear what they are saying just us at home.

Personally, I think you're pissed off at nothing and this sounds like another round of hate aimed at Michael Cole for whatever reason. I don't think anything Michael Cole says or doesn't say has much to do with any talent getting over whatsoever.

I'm not intentionally hating on Michael Cole. I don't mind him as lead announcer. I think he brings a lot to the table.

But I have to disagree with the notion that nothing he says doesn't have much to do with talent getting over. The job of a commentator is to help with getting talent over, and in a situation like that where they were debuting on the main show, a commentator making a big deal about it gives the viewers at home the idea that these persons are a big deal.

I just felt like he could have put a bit more passion into their introduction to the masses.

To be honest I don't take a lot on board what the commentators say now and have been like that for a while.

I have no idea what the OP is talking about. I don't know what the OP expects out of the announcera, especially for a team that has an individual that has hype skills beyond anything anyone at that announce table could possibly dream of providing.

As someone without the WWE Network and has never seen Enzo and Cass before I was solidly impressed and entertained. Anything Michael Cole would have said praising or criticizing those guys would have come off as corny. Michael Cole is corny. Michael Cole and the announce team is where things like Fandagoing goes from being kind of fun to die. They need to either be heel or impartial and leave the fanboying to the audience.

I went back and watched the video of their debut, and honestly all three commentators could have called them shit. Enzo and Cass had that crowd in the palm of their hands. Everytime Enzo opened his mouth you didn't hear a chant, a word, nothing, they were listening to every word he said, and they liked what they heard.

Cole could have told the crowd anything and they wouldn't have cared.

I guess I only heard the commentary team saying, "The most popular tag team in the entire NXT, Enzo and Cass!" I don't remember Michael Cole lamenting their debut or anything. Like Navi said, no one would've cared what they said. It's one of the most lively moments the crowd had interacted with the Superstars in that entire night.

I wouldn't sweat it. They are insanely over with NXT crowds, and I'd bet a dime to a dollar that continues in spades on the main roster. They have a natural charisma that's quite rare in wrestling. I mean, they failed repeatedly in getting the NXT tag titles and it didn't affect their popularity on the least.

I noticed it too, but it almost seemed like he was trying to prepare the audience for something that someone thought they might not understand.

I agree with you 100%. Michael Cole is killing a lot of debuts and returns.

BUT personally I think Raw has the worst announce team period. Here's why.....

Cole.. I know he's there for play by play. But even when he tries to get excited he can't. He buries so much talent. Whether on purpose or not I have no idea. But he tries to draw comparison to JR and that's impossible.

Byron Saxton.. I know WWE has to throw their new guys out there to "sink or swim" and get them used to the big time. But Byron has no business at all on Raw or anywhere except maybe kickoff shows. He's horrible.

Now JBL..yes he's a heel but I'd rather listen to a pregnant moose give birth. He's 10x more annoying than Cena is popular.

Ideal announce team (just the hired ones) would be Jerry Lawler, Booker T., and Corey Graves. MAYBE even put Rene Young out front. I'd love that!!!

It's not really the job of the announcers to put wrestlers over, don't forget the fans in the arena can't hear what they are saying just us at home.

Tell that to Stone Cold when it comes to good ol JR. JR came up with the name Texas Rattlesnake, all the stuff on the fly and put him over to the moon. Just saying - the crowd at home is still millions... not 4 thousand people. If you have some emerging talent the announcers should have a play-by-play man who has studied their accolades, followed their careers... talk about how much of a following these guys have created... how Triple H was the one who suggested to Enzo he train to be a wrestler... yes, I disagree. The announcer should put over the fighter in any combat sport - fake or otherwise.

Sorry Navi, but it is completely the job of the announcers to help get wrestlers over. Their primary job, behind calling the action of course, is to make the guys in the ring look as good as possible. And I agree with the OP, not about Enzo and Cass' debut per say, but about the fact that Cole and JBL are really terrible at making somebody look or sound like a big deal, no matter the situation.

Part of the reason WHY guys like Austin, Rock, HHH, etc. became such huge stars during their time was because you had JR losing his mind in the booth and putting these guys' actions over huge in the process. He made you believe that these guys are who they say they are. I'm not saying it's all up to the announcers to make wrestlers popular, but they're an integral part of the process. And Cole is very terrible at it at this point.

This goes back to... WHY THE FUCK IS BYRON SAXTON THERE? HE ADDS NOTHING BUT GETTING PICKED ON BY JBL... someone there needs to actually act excited for these debuts - not like weirdos talking about Snickers and tweets. JBL buried Ascension so hard lmao

I am an advocate of the commentary team to be revamped. But I wouldn't agree that Michael Cole had any effect on the Debut of Cass and Enzo whatsoever.

Seems a bit Nit-Picky to me.

Actually to me, Byron was the only one who seemed excited. When their music came on, Michael Cole's tone felt negative, as if he was anti-them. On a debut he should be hyped.

It also felt like he was oblivious to NXT - "some say that they are the most popular team in NXT" - but didn't Cole commentate on Roadblock? And if NXT are the future of WWE, then why would Cole take no notice of it?

Sadly the only commentator who properly hypes debuts is stuck on the pre-show, but is very much one for the future with a long run ahead of him: Corey Graves - best one in the company IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back