• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Michael Cole and Heel Commentary

We shy worth hair
In the world of professional wrestling, commentating is just as much of an art as the action that takes place in the ring. For some 30 years, it's been a common practice to include a heel announcer to counter the face play-by-play man. In many cases, a heel announcer can be a bigger asset than many of the actual wrestlers. Unfortunately, WWE's current top heel announcer, Michael Cole, is perceived by many fans as a liability.

Cole's problem is that he appears to be playing the role of heel announcer just for the sake of having one. He constantly bashes faces and supports heels, all the while giving little reason for his actions. In other words, he's a heel, so he supports other heels by default. His obnoxious, one-dimensional rants have begun discouraging people from watching the product. Not since Mark Madden has there been a heel announcer drawing the ire of fans in such fashion. Also, Coles support of some faces(Cena) and dislike for some heels(Nexus) is very irritating.

Certainly, Cole has several hard acts to follow. WWE has had several heel announcers over the years, and those men all succeeded where Cole fails because they did more than support heels for the sake of it. Here are examples:

Jesse Ventura: It's often said that the best villains usually believe in their actions and think they're right. Ventura is such a villain, as he constantly called out faces (particularly Hulk Hogan) on any hypocritical action he could find. He also worked during a period dominated by marks who cheered the faces no matter what. As a result, Ventura's comments more often than not were ignored. But by speaking out against the majority in logical fashion, he maintained a solid reputation as a heel announcer.

Bobby Heenan: Much like Ventura, the Brain looked down on faces, although in more delusional fashion. But while his comments were questionable, his casual and well-timed delivery enhanced his persona. He waited until the perfect opportunity to compliment a heel instead of constantly kissing his butt, much like Cole does to The Miz. Heenan took things in stride, whereas Cole is trying to hammer into everyone's head that he's a heel.

Jerry Lawler: Say what you want about Lawler now, but he was one of the best announcers 10 years ago. It probably helped that, being a former wrestler, he understood the process of getting over wrestlers. But one thing he did that really helped his persona was he knew how to counter Jim Ross. A good heel announcer needs to be the yin to a face commentator's yang. Ross was the straightforward guy (moreso than Gorilla Monsoon), while Lawler was a smartass. The King managed to split his attention between the ring action and his coworker's comments, which often led to Jim Ross firing back with his own words.

JBL: Straight off of his active career, JBL managed to become a new form of heel commentator we hadn't seen before. Even though he was clearly a villain, he took every opportunity he could to bash faces and heels alike. In addition, he knew his wrestling history and used it to add more depth to a show while also coming off as a pretentious jerk. And that's why JBL was a good commentator: He came off as an intelligent guy who wasn't exactly neutral and didn't hold back on mocking either side.

Matt Stryker
: The former school teacher is relatively new, so we'll wait and see with him. However, one thing he did that fans appreciated was he combined pop culture with wrestling history during his time at the announcers table. He reached out to the fans by referencing their other interests and how they may relate to wrestling.

That brings us back to Michael Cole. As stated above, his problem is it seems like he's being a heel announcer just for the sake of it. Everyone mentioned above, used their talents and personalities to add new layers to their roles. Cole may be able to improve his character by interacting on a new level with Josh Matthews or Lawler, or at least being more than The Miz's cheerleader. Another problem I have with him is that he sometimes brings up wrestlers legitimate weaknesses (bad on the mic or at a certain form of wrestling). I don't care if you're a heel, you should NOT be doing that.

Until then, all we're going to have is a guy telling us about the greatness of the WWE Champion. And that's just going to hurt the product.
My questions to you:

What do you think of Michael Cole's commentary?
Do you think the quality of Cole's commentary is affected by the fact that there are no good face commentators in the WWE today?
Do you not feel that Michael Cole would be better suited to the role of a manager rather than a commentator?

Cole's big problem is that

A. I feel he'd be much better as a color commentator.

and

B. He never seems to stay heel. He always flip flops between heel and face wrestlers, and this ultimately confuses people. SO far the only heel thing he seems to stick to is his butt kissing towards The Miz and Vickie, everyone else he seems to change his mind on, and this really annoying.

I agree with The_Reptile_ on how cole always flip flops between heel and face wrestlers and the fact that he has his nose so far up the miz's or alex riley's ass, depending on the night of the week maybe lol, but i really hope now that Booker T is now on smackdown as an announcer that he will shut cole up whenever he says something stupid or tries to kiss ass to vickie or the miz all the time like he usually did when stryker was there lol

Cole is garbage. The prevailing characteristics amongst notable heel commentators from wrestling's past is being clever, witty, and verbally opportunistic. In effect, you have to be like a comedian that everyone finds funny even though he picks on guys in the front row of the club. Cole has no such qualities. He should follow in Todd Pettengill's footsteps and do radio.

Michael Cole is by far brings WORST commentary to a show i have ever heard in my entire time of watching wrestling which is about 18 years worth.

He takes away from the product in about a billion different ways.
- Tries to be a heel way to hard
- Their is not one segment were he does not start an argument during a match or promo
- As said before he kisses heels ass just because, I could understand if it helped heels get over but every heel he supports are top performers already.
- This is the biggest one of all Michael Cole is the worst commentary seller i have ever had to listen to.

IMO the one that is key in a commentator is to make the person at home feel the presence of what is happening in the arena at that moment in Michael Cole bombs that EVERY SINGLE TIME.

You name it he has made it seem very lackluster and for those moments that are great he contributes nothing to help contribute to the severity or greatness to the viewer. Nexus debut, HBK retirement, Miz cashing in money in the bank, Undertaker being buried by Nexus every single one of these moments...

even Alberto Del Rio winning the rumble all moments he spent so much time ass kissing he didnt mention anything like Del Rio headlining Mania faster then anyone in WWE history.

The fact that their are no faces has nothing to do with cole's commentary the facts are Cold was a average announcer at best as a normal commentator then they tried to make him a character on screen and yes people hate him but its not like Iron Sheik hate its like I rather mute my TV hate.

I would pay to see Cole no longer sit at any announce table. He honestly takes away from the product in the ring and it is very frustrating Booker T debuted on Smackdown and was doing a great job with Josh Matthews and just about everytime Michael Cole would jump in and just destroy the commentary of the match at hand or destroy Josh Matthews and Booker T trying to hype the Elimination Chamber.

Their is a BIG difference between being a heel commentator and a hated commentator

I agree with everything that was said and to the writer of this threat, I've been saying this for months and couldn't agree with you more. Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura and even Lawler in his heel days, were at least entertaining when heels. They were clever witty and entertaining while Cole as a heel commentator is just cruel, tragic and desperate. It makes you want to reach for the volume button or change the channel altogether. Bottom line it makes the fans want to say to him "Just call the match and shut the hell up." Some people have said something along the lines that part of the genius with him is the fact that he roots for who he wants and hates who he wants to hate. No, that's not genius, that's the problem is the fact that he flip flops so much it's like a guy thats changing the channel on the TV every two seconds. His little homo-erotic crush on the Miz is just sad and leaves us thinking "Okay, you like The Miz. We get it, Now shut the F up." I mean shouldn't part of the commentators job be to sell the product and since when is Cole doing that lately? He's just crapping on the product he's supposed to be selling and making it look bad. Look at NXT if you need an example of that. He's ripped on everybody in that whole thing like Daniel Bryan and Kaval and crapped on everyone in season 3 NXT and it's just ridiculous. What makes Cole even harder to endure is he's on every show. I thought when Booker T was on there, he'd kick Cole off and it'd be Striker, Booker and Matthews. But instead the WWE decides to keep torturing us with Cole's commentary. There was an article saying how Cole will more than likely be commentating for the next 5 years. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't take 5 more years of this crap. And can we please stop calling this guy a journalist? There's nothing about him that follows the ethics of journalism. I know this, I'm a journalism grad and I took broadcast classes. The guy does nothing but spew slander into a microphone. I get that JR and Styles walking away from announcing left them in a bad position but come on. This is getting out of hand. What good is having guys on commentary tell a story if nobody wants to hear them?

In my opinion, wrestling doesn't need heel commentators anymore. Why can't two unbiased guys simply call the action? When you're watching football, you don't hear Al Michaels mocking the QB. That's because it's not about him; it's about the game, the players. Wrestling should be about the matches and the wrestlers. Nothing else. Listening to Cole argue with Booker T. over EVERYTHING took away from whatever was happening in the ring (and it's a shame, too; Booker was doing a good job).

Guys like Heenan and Lawler were appropriate for their eras, but at this point, having a heel commentator is beating a dead horse.

(BTW side note: You left one heel color commentator off your list: Paul Heyman in 2001. Not much worthwhile to comment on though).

The main difference between all those listed and Michael Cole is that all those listed are color commentators, while Michael Cole is the play-by-play announcer. It hasn't been tried to have the play-by-play man as the heel to counter a face color commentator, and because Michael Cole has had no previous experience as a heel, he is completely bombing.

There's a difference between heel heat and hate heat. Michael Cole's problem is he is not consistent. He'll sit there and gush about John Cena, then change his tone and completely lose control over gushing over The Miz. Michael Cole's commentary isn't making fans hate The Miz, it's just pissing them off and making them want to strangle Michael Cole through their TVs.

Great commentators such as Jim Ross could take any garbage match and draw you in, make you feel like you're sitting there in the arena by describing the atmosphere, the feel, and the emotions of the moment. Michael Cole just makes me want to turn my TV on mute. And in a show that relies on your commentary team, that's not a good thing.

I have read that WWE is thinking of ending the Michael Cole heel character at Mania now while im a bit angry that i have bought tickets to this event and one of the matches on the card could possibly be wasted on such trash as cole I will be jumping out of my seat if its the end of his heel character, and he goes back to a normal commentator instead of a on screen character or end of him commentating period

Michael Cole makes raw interesting to me now. I love how he acts. I HATE with a passion josh matthews. Why is this guy doing anything? His voice is childish, and strikers reactions just seem so fake.

Bobby the brain was the best at what he did

(BTW side note: You left one heel color commentator off your list: Paul Heyman in 2001. Not much worthwhile to comment on though).

The main difference between all those listed and Michael Cole is that all those listed are color commentators, while Michael Cole is the play-by-play announcer. It hasn't been tried to have the play-by-play man as the heel to counter a face color commentator, and because Michael Cole has had no previous experience as a heel, he is completely bombing.

There's a difference between heel heat and hate heat. Michael Cole's problem is he is not consistent. He'll sit there and gush about John Cena, then change his tone and completely lose control over gushing over The Miz. Michael Cole's commentary isn't making fans hate The Miz, it's just pissing them off and making them want to strangle Michael Cole through their TVs.

Great commentators such as Jim Ross could take any garbage match and draw you in, make you feel like you're sitting there in the arena by describing the atmosphere, the feel, and the emotions of the moment. Michael Cole just makes me want to turn my TV on mute. And in a show that relies on your commentary team, that's not a good thing.

Well in retrospect, 2001 was not Heyman's first time as a commentator. If you recall, he did commentary for a while as Paul E. Dangerously in WCW when Jim Ross was still there. It was before he formed the Dangerous Alliance, and he also was having and ongoing rivalry I guess you could call it with Missy Hyatt.

I heard the same rumors too about Cole's heel run ending at Mania because they feel with all the time and effort and then some that they've put into Cole's character, they need a big payoff. And I disagree. I happen to like Josh Matthews and frankly I found that the one Raw where Cole got an RKO and was off the show and it was just Lawler and Matthews, I was able to actually enjoy Raw. ANd on Smackdown, I couldn't enjoy Matthews and Booker T on commentary because Cole kept flapping his gums like a moron. How anyone is able to enjoy Cole in any degree is beyond me. I agree there is a difference between heel heat and hate heat. Vickie Guerrero has been getting hate heat for years and that is what Cole is getting now.

Has anyone stopped and read all this stuff, everything you guys saying about the man proves that he is doing his job, and doing it rather well I must add. Everyone and I mean everyone hates the man because he is not Good Ol' JR. So because he isnt JR he is going to be the furthest thing from JR and you guys hate him for every second of it. I say he is doing a hell of a job and playing his character. Hell I know he isnt JR and hands down JR was a hundred times better, but if your told to be a heel and everyone loved the face JR then do the exact difference of what he was doing. Not to mention I've read so many people bitch the he sucks the Miz's balls which means he is doing his job he found something that people hates and he's running with it. And the GM people hate it, and they hate for Cole to do his lines, thats why its went on this long. They could have thrown someone into the GM spot but they didnt because people hated Cole and his lines so they kept it going. I think everyone needs to read what they're writting on here and then realize that maybe Michael Cole is doing a good job seeing that everyone hates what he is doing.

Has anyone stopped and read all this stuff, everything you guys saying about the man proves that he is doing his job, and doing it rather well I must add. Everyone and I mean everyone hates the man because he is not Good Ol' JR. So because he isnt JR he is going to be the furthest thing from JR and you guys hate him for every second of it. I say he is doing a hell of a job and playing his character. Hell I know he isnt JR and hands down JR was a hundred times better, but if your told to be a heel and everyone loved the face JR then do the exact difference of what he was doing. Not to mention I've read so many people bitch the he sucks the Miz's balls which means he is doing his job he found something that people hates and he's running with it. And the GM people hate it, and they hate for Cole to do his lines, thats why its went on this long. They could have thrown someone into the GM spot but they didnt because people hated Cole and his lines so they kept it going. I think everyone needs to read what they're writting on here and then realize that maybe Michael Cole is doing a good job seeing that everyone hates what he is doing.
Michael Cole as the rep for the RAW GM is great in my opinion. He's doing a fine job with that, and I feel that is getting him good heel heat. And the bits on commentary about him being the voice of RAW and getting a little heat for that works.

However, his other commentary aspects aren't having the same effect. A good heel commentator wouldn't make me want to mute my TV. He's overselling and trying way too hard. He could play up The Miz, shove it in our faces that he told us so, and not sound like he's first in line of The Miz's personal backstage groupies. Plus, he's not a consistent heel. How am I supposed to believe that Michael Cole loves The Miz, or is a member of the Alberto del Rio fan club, while singing to the heavens the praises of John Cena? And the "vintage" catchphrase should only apply to Superstars with a long history in the WWE: Triple H, William Regal, Goldust, Undertaker, Kane, and even Edge. But not John Cena, Randy Orton, and definitely not Sheamus.

Now I will give praise where praise is due. I thought Michael Cole was doing a great job on the first season of NXT and I felt he had a great feud going with Daniel Bryan. I was beginning to warm up on the idea of a heel Cole. If Michael Cole tones it down some and becomes more consistent, I feel it could really work!

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound. People hate Michael Cole's QUALITY OF WORK by your logic a great heel world heavy champ should be someone with zero mic skills, average wrestling skills, and a lackluster finisher.

Like I said it is not Iron Sheik hate, or even JBL hate, it is like mute my televison or change the channel hate.

Basically what your saying is lower the quality of your work and you are doing a great job of being heel.

The fact is the most epic shit in pro wrestling history could take place and Michael Cole still wouldnt be able to sell it to the viewer at home as just that.

You are annoying the fans, Yes the fans are not suppose to like him, Yes the fans are even suppose to hate him, but by no means should a fan ever want to mute or change the channel on the programming due to someone especially someone like a commentator. The fact that a match cannont be called without arguments or a PPV can not be promoted is not a good thing by any stretch.

At one time Cole was a decent heel and then he got stale did the same exact thing week after week after week. On all 3 shows week after week and is still doing now that is not being a good heel that is being negative element on the show. I understand "o people love JR so act like the opposite" aka JR is a phenomenal announcer so act like a teenager calling matches with his friends on the couch. That doesnt make you a good heel, just like cursing out the fans, or making fun of their sports team does mean you are cutting a good promo. Yes it gets a reaction but if a heel did that EVERY SINGLE NIGHT he would not be over and the fans would get fed up. Michael Cole does the same thing EVERY SINGLE NIGHT get the picture.

Cole's problem is that he takes it WAY over the top! He's gotten so bad that it is taking the attention off of the in-ring product, and that is a problem. I realize that they are telling him to do that. Well, shame on them. His commentary is getting HIM over more than the guys that he is cheering for. Miz doesn't need him. Miz screwed Cena over at the Royal Rumble. That instantly got him heat from the Cena fans. Cole wasn't needed. I dread listening to Raw now because of him, and SmackDown is horrible as well. I might be able to stand him until WrestleMania if they let King kill off his heel commentator character. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if they reveal him as the GM if he is kicked off the announce table.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound. People hate Michael Cole's QUALITY OF WORK by your logic a great heel world heavy champ should be someone with zero mic skills, average wrestling skills, and a lackluster finisher.

Like I said it is not Iron Sheik hate, or even JBL hate, it is like mute my televison or change the channel hate.

Basically what your saying is lower the quality of your work and you are doing a great job of being heel.

The fact is the most epic shit in pro wrestling histroy could take place and Michael Cole still wouldnt be able to sell it to the viewer at home as just that.
I understand o people love JR so act like the opposite aka JR is a phenomenal announcer so act like a teenager calling matches with his friends on the couch. That doesnt make you a good heel, just like cursing out the fans, or making fun of their sports team does mean you are cutting a good promo.

You are annoying fans, Yes the fans are not suppose to like him, Yes the fans are even suppose to hate him, but by no means should a fan ever want to mute or change the channel on the programming due to someone especially someone like a commentator

I agree with you. Vince McMahon might possibly be the greatest heel in WWE history, but I don't ever remember wanting to turn the channel when he spoke.

I have been a vocal critic of Michael Cole on these boards since I joined. And I'm so glad SoM that you too have been frustrated with his on screen "character". Ever since Cole got drafted to RAW in 2008 the man seemingly switched on the proverbial cruise control. The passion he gave started to sound forced, he turned into a walking cliche by using his same old catchphrases whenever possible, botching consistently on live television, among other things. Even while he was doing all this he was still tolerable until now that is.

Now why am I almost at my wit's end with Cole? Well where do I begin. The most annoying aspect is when he's constantly putting himself over as a heel on commentary. Wether it be by starting an argument with Lawler, or overly ass-kissing a heel wrestler, or the burial of a face wrestler in the ring. These "evil" antics of his more often than not take away from him calling action in the ring. Which is a major no-no for a play-by-play commentator. Most of the time while he's on his rants and raves the color commentators seem to do a better job at calling the action consistently instead of boasting about themselves or acting evil for the sake of it. Sure he might be doing it in character but come on now are you telling me thats what a play-by-play guy should be doing when he's supposed to be calling a match? I think not.

His passion for heels seems so forced and by that he tries way too hard to be the bad guy. His extremely fake mark-outs for The Miz are over the top, his wishes of being Vickie's man despite being married are ridiculous, among other things. Also why does he find the need to stop calling a match just for the sake of arguing with a face color commentator? It should be the other way around, thats the way it has been in the past but apparently Michael Cole doing it is fine and refreshing. Not to me he was passable as a face he's almost at the point where he is so annoying to listen to I want to mute my television and not because he's good heel it's because his over acting rapes his actual attempt at calling matches.

When you have a guy act so mean to face wrestlers that basically buries them by saying they can't talk, are horrible to watch, etc. Something is not right and to top it off when you blow calling a match just because you feel the need to put over the fact that you are a whiny, bitchy, argumentative prick than you are not doing your job. Listening to Michael Cole week in and week out just gets so much worse because of these things I listed and it seems that it's not going to stop anytime soon. I truly wonder how anyone on these boards finds his heel "persona" entertaining because believe it or not ladies and gentleman we are in the minority on this opinion.

What I can't stand about Cole's commentating is how over the top he is with his hypocracy. When KK Bundy had Hogan down and counted five on his hand, Ventura argued that since his boot was touching Hogan's leg, the 5-count should stand as a legal decision, and in its own twisted way that made sense. Heenan would pick on the faces and be hysterically funny when he did it. Calling somebody a "ham and egger" is clever and takes a little bit of brain power to figure out what he's saying. Repeating the words "dork" and "nerd" over and over just makes you sound like a ****** or a jock on a b-rated 1980s comedy.

Cole's hypocracy comes into play when if the heel gets outside help its 'payback for what *insert face here* did on Raw 2 weeks ago. If the face gets outside help, he should be fined, stripped of his belt, etc etc. So often we here "what business does *insert face here* have being down here?" Yet Alex Riley all but commits a capital offense against someone on behalf of the Miz and "they had it coming". It just sounds stupid and gets very old.

I agree with you. Vince McMahon might possibly be the greatest heel in WWE history, but I don't ever remember wanting to turn the channel when he spoke.

I also agree with you. In fact to add to it, NONE of the McMahons, not even Stephanie, ever left you hating what they said so bad that you reached for the mute button or changed the channel completely. And yes, we could use the mute button to silence the talking monkey that is Michael Cole, but the thing is we shouldn't have to. We should be able to watch it no matter whose on commentary and yet somehow, some jackass at the WWE thinks we tune in to see the commentators bicker at each other instead of whats going on in the ring. And I agree with the other things that were said on here. You're not doing your job if you're overshadowing the action in the ring. You're not doing you're job if you slam on the other guys that are doing what they're supposed to do in SELLING the product. You're not doing your job when you can't make up your mind to either call the match or be a heel. You're just being a total arrogant self-righteous obnoxious a-hole with a man crush on the Miz. THAT is Michael Cole.

Also, I don't recall Bobby Heenan or Jesse Ventura getting involved in a match for the heels like Cole did about a month or so ago with Jerry Lawler vs. The Miz. I mean that is just going too far and really when it comes down to it, when is it gonna be enough? When does it stop? What in the WWE's right mind is leaving them to think that this is good publicity and good marketing for their product?

I never understood why people hated Cole so much, I always though he did a fine job doing play by play. However this new thing just doesn't mkae sense and its not his fault, this is Vince's idea, I bet he thinks Cole's doing a great job so Cole does it more. I hate it though, it makes no sense, only wrestlers/divas/managers can be heels, Cole is a commentator, he is supposed to be neutral. On top of that, how can the voice of a company be a heel?

His character would be alright if they just took him off commentary and made him the liason to the gm, but then again that just brings up more questions about this questionable gm angle.

I never understood why people hated Cole so much, I always though he did a fine job doing play by play. However this new thing just doesn't mkae sense and its not his fault, this is Vince's idea, I bet he thinks Cole's doing a great job so Cole does it more. I hate it though, it makes no sense, only wrestlers/divas/managers can be heels, Cole is a commentator, he is supposed to be neutral. On top of that, how can the voice of a company be a heel?

His character would be alright if they just took him off commentary and made him the liason to the gm, but then again that just brings up more questions about this questionable gm angle.

I actually found myself able to tolerate Cole in the old days where all he did was call the match. We don't need heel commentators. All they need to do is call the action going on in the ring. Period.

Good thread, i agree with pretty much everything. Cole seems like someone out of his depth trying real hard to keep his pay cheque. He sucks, and not in a good way. It seems like he was promoted because hes a company man rather than because his talent deserved it.

Cole's big problem is that

A. I feel he'd be much better as a color commentator.

and

B. He never seems to stay heel. He always flip flops between heel and face wrestlers, and this ultimately confuses people. SO far the only heel thing he seems to stick to is his butt kissing towards The Miz and Vickie, everyone else he seems to change his mind on, and this really annoying.

Been saying this for a while
Michael Cole is the worst of the worst, well no he is the best of the group they have but he is awfull

So sick of tired of him swapping from fan driven to heel in a single sentence, sucking up to Miz, bashing Cena then 30seconds later he's defending Cena. etc. etc. etc.

Just stick to a alignment ******.....

and the rest of em need to actually do some homework and stop stuffing up every single match

Problem is they have no heel commentry. Striker is the only one remotely close to playing a heel like Cole.

I don't get why Vince McMahon feels he has to fix something thats not broken, if you want you commentators to have character get a former wrestler to do it, they've got a built i character that doesn't have to come from no where, I mean really, one day on nxt he just started kissing The Miz ass and it just snowballed from there, who could've predicted this.

Well I should have tried to make better since earlier. I caught I lot of heat for what I posted lol. Guys I'm not saying Cole is better than JR but truth be told McMahon tells Cole to act a certain way and he does it full blown. And I gotta be honest a laugh at these on air fights they get into. Plus if Vince didn't like it he would have cut it off long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back