MD 93: Garth Black vs. Grand Mystique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Blonoff

Make America Rassle Again
MeltdownLogo_zps4bdaf09b.jpg

Garth Black returned in exciting fashion on Ascension 67, but he he suffered a devastating lost to the returning Justin Cooper. He will have to pick up the pieces as he prepares for an even tougher opponent. The Sacrificial Altar felt deflated after last week's round, which can only mean that The Grand Mystique will come out with fury in this one. He will carry the weight of the stable on his shoulders as he looks to make an example out of Garth Black.

Deadline is Wednesday, September 4th, 11:59 PM Central Time. Extensions via request.

The room is dark and quiet but not for long.

“Gentlemen, what do you hear?” The Grand Mystique stands in front of a very solemn looking trio. “Do you hear adulation? Do you hear the screams of our victims? Do you hear anything?” A sarcastic smirk appears on his face before it turns into a scowl that is fuelled by the silence of his army.

“There is nothing to hear. We have failed gentlemen! You have failed me and that is unacceptable. You have allowed the fine work of Kingdom Come has been undone and now the company are laughing at us. In a company with idiots who think they are robots and aliens, we have become the laughing stock. Justin Cooper is s******ing at us; David Cougar doesn’t consider us a threat. I will not tolerate that any longer.”

He storms around the room.

“Do you understand what that means gentlemen?”

“We f-cked up, we get it. Chewing us out isn’t going to make us feel any better. How about you back off, accept that we all screwed up and make it right.” DC looks more pissed off than the others. Even Whitman looks different with a glimmer of focus in his eye. “We need to make a statement.”

Westhoff stands up to look eye to eye with his leader. “We have shown ourselves to be flawed gentlemen but we have given a chance by the Almighty to restore our faith, the faith in ourselves and in each other.” Keeping all three in his eyeline, he continues. “Gentlemen, we need to take this chance and come out of it with a stronger faith than ever before.”

“Mason, faith will not be enough. In fact, it won’t get you anywhere.” DC’s retort riles Westhoff and the cleric shows uncharacteristic passion by confronting his uncouth stable mate. “When it’s all you have left after sacrificing everything it is enough. But you don’t understand. You have everything you could possibly need. We have given you all the support and you piss it all away.” Unsurprisingly, DC pushes Mason away.

“I won the Kingdom Come match and I was proud to do it for us. The satisfaction from that win is literally the only thing that has kept me going. David and I have sacrificed it but you are the only one who doesn’t recognise it. Mason, you are a self-righteous ass - ”

“Enough!” The sheer volume of GM’s interruption is enough to pause the heated argument. The three men look at him. “Mason is right- ” DC attempts to react as Mason smirks. "But..." GM interjects “...we need more than blind faith. We must rediscover what made us the dominant factor in this company.” Mason steps back as GM openly questions his position.

“They have handed us our next victims without even knowing that they have sealed the fates of those so-called superstars. Some will be easier than others.” GM looks pointedly at Mason & David, knowing that Thrash and Drake Callahan would provide their own degree of challenge. “But we must not be stopped. Our cause saw a great victory at Kingdom Come but it was only a stop on our road to greatness. We are here to change WZCW for the better in the face of their misguided belief that the success of this company can only be brought on by those who fit in to their plan. No matter who they bring in, we must press on.”

“Garth Black will bring a challenge because he lost last week.”

“I recognise that name. He’s a druggie who bummed out of this place pretty bad a while ago. He went down in flames pretty spectacularly; I remember seeing it on the web.”

“He will try to convince himself that defeat was a blip but he doesn’t have the faith that proves to me that we will continue to win. He has no mental strength to speak of and cannot see the way out of the darkness that dominates his life. When I face him in the centre of the ring, he will realise how dark, how tough the reality of our world is. It is inevitable Garth Black will get a taste of the WZCW universe that will be dominated by The Sacrificial Altar in short time.”

“He is here to absolve himself of the sins that have plagued his career. He has been plagued by a complete lack of direction and he allowed himself to sin. That sent him down a road that had no room to turn. He is weak, so pathetic and frail minded that he will fall victim to sin again, time after time.”

Tension fills the room like an oppressive, poisonous gas. Do they choke on the fumes or breathe in its’ sweet fumes?

“So what’s next?” Whitman perks up and DC retorts quickly. “We grow, we attack.”

“We have to ensure that what we do next is beyond memorable. The entire roster needs to know what we are capable of.” Even Westhoff is able to get behind the motivation of this direction. GM is clearly satisfied.

“WZCW is vulnerable, the ivory towers are crumbling and they are blind to it. We must infect it and become stronger at its’ expense. This is not new information to you gentlemen but it is imperative that we succeed without hesitation, now more than ever before.” GM pauses, his three associates eye him with their undivided attention. “Your tasks are simple for this week. Find what made you all such crucial pieces of The Sacrificial Altar to begin with and show me why we can demonstrate our supremacy with immediate effect.”

In one sentence, the Grand Mystique has summed up what he expects from his horde. They are prepared for war.

War will follow. That is WZCW’s destiny.

We're backstage, in the production green room. Becky Serra is pacing around the room, looking pretty dishevelled. She is holding an iPad which is displaying www.twitter.com/GarthBlackWZCW

Leon Kensworth enters the room.

Leon Kensworth: What the matter, you seem a little on edge?

Becky Serra: Well, I'm interviewing Garth Black ahead of his match tonight.

Leon Kensworth: And you're worried that he will be condescending towards you, becau...

Becky Serra: No, it isn't that. Everyone says he's different now.

Leon Kensworth: That's true, I was just about to say he was a changed man, so what's the problem?

Becky Serra: Well, it's just that other than his match against Cooper last week, I have no idea what he has been up to for the last three and a half years. How can I interview him?

Leon Kensworth: You could do the research?

Becky Serra: That's the problem! (She holds up the iPad showing the twitter page.) I looked on his Twitter, like all good wrestling journalists, and he's barely posted on here, and when he has, it's been incoherent and now I'm fresh out of ideas.

Leon Kensworth: I think it might be time for you to learn the second wrestling journalist source of information - other people's shoot interviews.

Becky Serra: Other people's shoot interviews?

Leon Kensworth: Other people's shoot interviews.

Becky Serra: Where do I find this 'other people's shoot interviews'?

Leon Kensworth: They're usually linked from other people's websites. Here, I think someone did one a couple of weeks before he came back. (He takes the iPad off Becky and loads up a youtube video of a Garth Black shoot interview.) Yeah, here it is, watch this.

Becky begins to watch the video, which now takes the full television screen for the viewer. The picture consists of a heavy-set, albeit frail and dishevelled looking Garth Black sitting in front of a simple white screen. An Interviewer's voice from behind the camera begins to talk.

Interviewer: Alright, welcome to the latest Smark E. Smark shoot interview, where we get the word straight from the horse's mouth about the ins and outs of this industry we all love and hate. And this week's horse is none other than former WZCW tag team champion Garth Black, hello Garth, it's great to have you on the show.

Garth Black: The pleasure is all mine.

Interviewer: Now, we've actually tried to have you on here a number of times, but you previously seemed unwilling, why the change of heart?

Garth Black: I think I'm finally in a place where I can discuss the past, and my demons in a way that will allow me to move forward into the future. Truth be told, the last few years have been awful to me, but not as awful as I've been to myself. I felt that now that I've seen the light at the end of the tunnel, it would be a good time to take stock of the last few years and take stock of what happened, and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to do so.

Interviewer: Well, I'm sure I can speak for the entire wrestling community when I say that I am glad that you're on the right path and that you are in a better place. On that note, you're problems with substance abuse over the past few years has been well documented, when did that start? Was it during your stint in WZCW?

Garth Black: Yes it was. I can't remember when exactly it started, but it was around the time that Phoenix and I first formed The Second Coming. I was making a lot of money and burning the candle at both ends. It didn't help that our style meant for a lot of high risks and therefore high pain wrestling. What started out as a little recreational drugs late at night and a few painkillers before a match soon turned into a cocktail that I was taking all day every day.

Interviewer: Where you using when you won the tag titles?

Garth Black: Absolutely. You know, I don't really remember much about the events as they happened during that match because of it. One of the counsellors in The Priory said to me last week that I should watch it, because it would give me the opportunity to try and come to terms with the person I was back then.

So I did watch it and two things hit me. One was that the match was exceptionally good. I mean, none of the 4 of us is still active in WZCW, but we really tore the house down that evening, and it made me realise that even in the state I was in back then, I had a lot to offer the business. But the second thing that struck me was far more hard hitting. Watching it again took me back to the way I felt that night, and I realised that during what should have been the highlight of my career, the time when I should have been happiest, I felt absolutely empty. Devoid of any feelings. Sure, I'm smiling, but you can see it in my eyes. At All or Nothing 2010, I won it all and felt like nothing.

Interviewer: So was that your lowest point?

Garth Black: Good God, no. I carried on a downward spiral throughout my last few months in WZCW and by the end - although there wasn't really a true end - before finding myself at autograph signings that nobody came to and high school gym wrestling that nobody wanted to see. I took too much and drove and put myself in hospital. That was the final straw, but I think I realised I had a problem a few months earlier, when I looked in the mirror of a $10 a night motel in Toilet, South Carolina and could see Meltdown on the TV in the reflection. The glitz and glamour of it all off set by my mess of a face in my mess of a room in a mess of a town in my mess of a life. I think that was probably my lowest ebb.

Interviewer: You say you never really had an end to your WZCW career, where you fired?

Garth Black: No. I think both parties just agreed that me being there wasn't good for anyone, so I left. I remember my last match was against Big Dave, but after that I just left. No explanation, no story, just packed my bags and left.

Interviewer: Did you maintain any friends in the company?

Garth Black: Not really, but I wasn't really maintaining any relationships. Much has been said about my relationship with Phoenix, all I'd say is that I think he just saw that I was a lost cause before most did.

Interviewer: Are you bitter?

Garth Black: Not at all. You reap what you sow, and I was sowing a lot of broken promises and unreliability, I can't be angry at anything that has befallen me.

Interviewer: Would you like to be back in WZCW?

Garth Black: Oh, I'd go back in a heart beat, and I'm working on getting the physical attributes to get there. I've obviously gained a lot of weight, so I'd never be as agile, but I think I could be a real technician, and more to the point engage with the fans once again. Not only do I think that I failed to reach my potential there so there is an element of unfinished business, but I also think I'd love to enjoy it for the thrill and excitement of it all. I wasn't afforded that luxury last time I was there...

We zoom out back to the room with Becky and Leon. Becky pauses the video at this point and opens up a note on her iPad. The note has the heading "Wrestling Journalist Sources" and a single line of text that says "twitter". She adds "other people's shoot interviews" to the list, before closing down the iPad and turning to leave. As she leaves she speaks to Leon.

Becky Serra: Thanks for the tip, Leon.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are backstage, where Becky is standing with a microphone.

Becky Serra: Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to introduce at this time for his first interview since returning to WZCW, Mr. Garth Black!

The camera zooms out sufficiently to include Garth Black in the frame.

Becky Serra: Garth, how does it feel to be ba...

Garth Black: I need to stop you there, B, because before I can go speak, I need to apologise to you for how I spoke to you over the course of my tenure here. You did not deserve to be spoken to like that.

Becky Serra: Oh, well, er... Apology accepted I guess. So how does it feel to be back in WZCW?

Garth Black: It's incredible. I feel it was my destiny to come to this company and fulfil my potential, something I never really accomplished before, because of the problems that have been well documented.

Becky Serra: What are your aims on your come back?

Garth Black: I want redemption. I want to be able to look myself in the mirror and say that I am everything I want to be.

Becky Serra: You have said before that you felt empty as you won the tag titles all those years ago, is that something that drives you?

Garth Black: Absolutely. I want to be a champion again, only this time I want to feel like a champion. But that's obviously a longer term goal. For now, I want to get my first win in over 3 years on the board. Last time out, I lost to Justin Cooper. The man was also on his way back, but he had much less ring rust than I, and although I fought with all my heart, it just wasn't within me to win last week.

Becky Serra: This week you face Grand Mystique, how do you feel about that?

Garth Black: I respect The Sacrificial Altar, they earned that with the way they won at Kingdom Come. Mystique in particular commands respect - he leads where the others follow. He is trying taking his destiny into his own hands, in the same way that I have. In the same way that I see the bigger picture, I feel he does too, but the difference is that he is allowing his demons, the negativity to fuel him. I know from my experiences that this can only lead to catastrophe, and his defeat last week betrays this. By adopting a positive attitude, I can only go forward and learn from my mistakes, while those like Grand Mystique are left to wallow in the mire of negativity.

Becky Serra: Garth, I have one more question, but it's not really about your match this week, may I ask it?

Garth Black: The old me would have suggested that you have already asked it right there, but the new, improved me is willing to listen.

Becky Serra: What's happened to the poetry?

Garth Black: The poetry is no longer a part of me. I will leave it to the questionable verse of Dr. Zeus. The poems I spoke were not how I truly felt, but merely a mask behind which I could hide my true emotions. I have no need for such a mask now, I can be open and frank because I have the power and the self belief to feel confident in all of my actions. Someone like the Grand Mystique will hide behind a mask because he lacks the courage to show his true convictions. He may be bigger than me, and the dark corners of the universe may well be a tougher place to grow up than Wales, but he lacks the faith in himself and his actions to carry them out in the open. I have no such fear, so I do not need to hide my words behind a veil of poetry, nor hide my face behind a mask. I will fight Mystique and I will show everyone that openness and honesty is a better path than deceit and hidden intentions and that size is no match for self belief.

He turns to leave with his head held high, as Becky wraps the segment up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back