• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mark Henry: Can he still be relevant?

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Mark Henry is weird because he only made it in the main event scene after his prime had already passed. His Hall of Pain gimmick made him interesting, even if his matches were usually not very good. When he returned late last year, he got a huge face pop, but after being treated as a relevant good guy, he started jobbing to pretty much everyone he came into contact with, whether it was Reigns, Lesnar or the Big Show (battle royal). Even worse, Henry tends to lose rather quickly. At least Kane can last awhile before losing. But above everything, fans just seem to become indifferent to his presence. He never got any storylines, promo time and his in-ring skills certainly weren't going to get better...So outside of just being Mark Henry, there was no reason to be invested in him.

When he fought Reigns last, he seemed to be turning heel and his trash talk gave his character some life. But then he went on a hiatus and has returned as a face...apparently. Detractors probably will point out that Mark Henry is too old and should be jobbing to the younger talent, which is true, but doesn't that make their victories over him feel hollow? The problem with defeating Jericho or Kane is that everyone seems to do it after a certain point, so it means nothing. But at least they're presented as credible threats. If Mark Henry gets taken out too quickly, then how is he putting anyone over? If anything, he's just getting squashed. Even the Great Khali has been presented as more dangerous than Mark Henry.

So I think Mark Henry should turn heel and like the idea of him leading the new Nation of Domination, if that's what Woods is trying to reform. Admittedly if this happens and he continues to do the job, it will only sink the group. But the only way to keep Mark Henry relevant is to push him as someone who can still do damage and the only way to do that is to present him as the villain once more. But what do you think? Should he just appear sporadically and job to the newer talent? Should he retire? Should he become a bad guy once more? Should they move him to a non-actiony role?

I think Henry knows his career is at an end, he had a good run, he held a World title, he had a great moment with John Cena (even if they failed to capitalize on it), there is nothing left for him to accomplish that really matters at the end of the day. He went from consistently being the worst guy on the roster to one of the greatest monsters in wrestling history in the biggest, most unexpected turnaround in wrestling history. Even Bully Ray has nothing on that.

There was a time when history would have only remembered Mark Henry as a guy who fathered a hand, now history will remember him as one of the top big men in wrestling history. His run that started on Smackdown, grew through ECW, and culminated in a shocking WrestleMania moment where he beat Ryback will be his legacy. I think his pushes are behind him, outside of mini-pushes so he can put over someone, and I think that is ok. I think everyone has respect for Mark Henry now and I think, ultimately, that is what he was after.

Health is the main issue, past year or so Henry has been out for long periods of time before making a short run and then disappearing again. Hard to push someone with that kind of recent history. Him joining Kofi/Big E/Woods sounds interesting but Henry naturally overshadows Big E as the strongman of the group and that can be detrimental to Big E's growth. Personally I would see how the young guys do by themselves while keeping Henry as a very solid backup plan if they can't cut it on their own.

In the meantime there's nothing wrong with Henry putting people over in this stage of the game. They obviously need it more than he does and he still has his size and rep to be a credible threat to anyone. He'll still be squashing jobbers like Sandow to keep a good W/L ratio and there will be Battle Royals where he'll look dominate. Maybe even put him in a tag team where he can get another short run with the tag titles. Either way he'll be fine, I would just treat him like RVD where everything is planned like we're expecting him to leave again soon since sadly enough chances are we would be right.

On a side note, does anything think the Great Khali or Big show can be relevant?

Unlike Mark Henry, WWE seems reluctant to have Big Show job as a face. When he loses, it's usually not cleanly. However, his face pops have been rather mild, making me wonder if he should do a heel turn.

The Great Khali should retire. I respect the dude for working hard and don't even hold his lack of wrestling skill against him, but he always looks like he's in pain.

I guess the gimmick can be brought back. For someone his size and monstrous looks, all he has to do is attack a few top names at random, both at RAW and Smackdown for around three weeks, and *boom* he'll be back on track.
That being said, what's the use? I really don't think that he will ever be a World champion again, especially since there is only one world title now. His 'Hall of Pain' will end against the first opponent he faces, maybe Bray Wyatt, maybe Roman Reigns, and then he will be irrelevant again.
They booked him less than half-heartedly in the past couple of years, and aided by the sporadic appearances and long leaves, now he doesn't have any place where he can fit.
So, my view is that the Hall of Pain can be brought back, but it will neither have the previous impact, nor much usefulness. As for Mark Henry, he will never be as relevant again.

On a side note, does anything think the Great Khali or Big show can be relevant?

Unlike Mark Henry, WWE seems reluctant to have Big Show job as a face. When he loses, it's usually not cleanly. However, his face pops have been rather mild, making me wonder if he should do a heel turn.

The Great Khali should retire. I respect the dude for working hard and don't even hold his lack of wrestling skill against him, but he always looks like he's in pain.

Big Show will be relevant until he retires. In my book he's the greatest giant in wrestling history. Fans can be biased towards Andrè all they want, but having grown up on Andrè, even in his prime he was nowhere near as good as Big Show.

The reason Big Show's pops are so mild is because WWE has flip-flopped him from face to heel to face to heel to face so many dozens of times over the last few years, that I don't think the fans even bother to keep track anymore, so they just give him a mild cheer out of respect but they don't actually care whether he's face or heel that particular week.

As for Henry, I think he's still relevant. Once you make it to the top, you'll always be relevant, even if you're not at the top anymore.

Honestly? No.

Mark has had a great career and he'd probably be pinching himself. He's traveled the world and entertained millions.

Why can't he be relevant anymore? Because his reputation or rather, character have been virtually destroyed over the past 5 years as his gimmicks have been questionable at absolute best, not to memtiin that there is only so long you can ride on the Worlds Strongest Man gimmick. Dressing him to look like the Kool Aid man is another example that comes to mind. How can you be booked as a killer when you're virtually bursting into the ring and belching out an "OH YEAH!"?

Big Show will be relevant until he retires. In my book he's the greatest giant in wrestling history. Fans can be biased towards Andrè all they want, but having grown up on Andrè, even in his prime he was nowhere near as good as Big Show.

The reason Big Show's pops are so mild is because WWE has flip-flopped him from face to heel to face to heel to face so many dozens of times over the last few years, that I don't think the fans even bother to keep track anymore, so they just give him a mild cheer out of respect but they don't actually care whether he's face or heel that particular week.

As for Henry, I think he's still relevant. Once you make it to the top, you'll always be relevant, even if you're not at the top anymore.

Some great points about Big Show. He has been mostly misused for years. Last year he had a solid story with the Authority that seemed to succeed in building Show back up, but then he sunk back into his previous role of "utility giant".

He'll always be a serious threat to anyone in the ring because of is size and strength, but since the Show/HHH plan was scrapped he's been floating around like a butterfly, unsure of where to land. Such is reality with Show, isn't it? Creative hasn't really given him a place to land, they just shoo him somewhere else when he's needed.

I'm hoping he gets at least one more serious feud before he retires. Unfortunately, the Authority story (And the brief Lesnar feud before that) may have been it.

Detractors probably will point out that Mark Henry is too old and should be jobbing to the younger talent, which is true, but doesn't that make their victories over him feel hollow?

It's all part of management's challenge in trying to book performers according to the position they're assigned, which is complicated by the fact that a player's role changes over the course of time.

Mark Henry had his day in the sun. The fact it came wayyyyy later than we (and probably he) thought it would was a benefit he must have been thrilled with....and Vince McMahon must have been very happy with his Creative people for coming up with it.....and with Mark for handling it so well.

But it's very late in his career now. We had been reading that he contemplated retirement even before his House of Pain program, so you can imagine the pleasant surprise he and his employers must have felt when he enjoyed the greatest success of his career at that late date.

As to the possibility of making him fearsome again, one has to look at his injury history. During his prime years, injuries kept him out of action for incredible amounts of time. Now that he's older, it will only get worse. They simply can't afford to build around him anymore.

Let him stomp out there a few more times, looking as if he's going to wreck everything and everyone in the arena.....only to job to an up-and-coming talent.

Let his contract run out.

Exit, stage left.

I love Mark Henry,the House of Pain gimmick came about 5-7 years too late IMO.. He is a extremely talented performer,but has been injured so much over the course of his career I am surprised he has lasted as long as he has..

His body frame,Being as huge as he is,it takes a toll.. He had his day in the sun,loved every minute of it being a fan of his,he can never forget 2011 the Mark Henry House of pain era.. That was so brilliantly done,and very believable.. He should when his career is finally over,be a road agent,help out the younger talent.. This should be someone like Kane who will have a job for life

I think WWE have had their fingers burned investing time in the likes of Henry & Mysterio over the last few years with injuries putting them on the shelf quite a lot.

Henry can still put on a decent match, he can still be used to enhance other talent that needs pushed.

Some great points about Big Show. He has been mostly misused for years. Last year he had a solid story with the Authority that seemed to succeed in building Show back up, but then he sunk back into his previous role of "utility giant".

He'll always be a serious threat to anyone in the ring because of is size and strength, but since the Show/HHH plan was scrapped he's been floating around like a butterfly, unsure of where to land. Such is reality with Show, isn't it? Creative hasn't really given him a place to land, they just shoo him somewhere else when he's needed.

I'm hoping he gets at least one more serious feud before he retires. Unfortunately, the Authority story (And the brief Lesnar feud before that) may have been it.

I wonder how his match with Brock at the Rumble would've ended if he hadn't previously injured himself. Brock would've won, but would it have been clean?

As for everyone on Mark Henry, good points. His injury record makes him hard to push, especially as he seems to have a part time contract.

I'll start by saying I'm so glad WWE finally gave him a REAL chance and we was able to win the big one a few years back. It was a good run while it lasted. It looked super legit and he was threatening.

He should have got the chance years ago.

Alas, he is too old to get another title, more than likely.

He's still a beast but extremely limited. All he can really do is put people over and maybe entertain a crowd with a squash match here or there.

I'd like to see him do what a number of older guys who are still sticking around should do: Sign a Legends contract and only come back for special appearances and short programs.

Henry is away often enough from injuries, at least if he was only on a Legends deal it would be a bigger deal when he shows up and not a be all, end all if he gets hurt.

Guys like Christian and Rey Mysterio are already starting to see it. They've finally realized it's time to ride off in the sunset on very accomplished careers.

PLENTY of young talent.

No one will ever be quite like Mark Henry and his unique attributes would be missed but it will be okay.

Big Show is also in that ball park. He's only used now in very limited programs and that's the way it should be.

Henry and Show, unfortunately, even for their truest fans know that they are past their Championship run days and are only around to put others over. But we can only take so much of that before it becomes a joke: See Khali.

Quit while you can still walk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back