• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Manny Ramirez

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
We're already past teams reporting to Spring Training, and we only have a few days before players start reporting to their respective teams for the World Baseball Classic, and Manny has yet to sign with a team.

Where will he end up? What will his contract be worth?

I think Manny's best bet is to sign with an American League contender, and become a DH, where his defensive liabilities won't effect his team. However, I think he's going to end up signing back with the Dodgers.

Barring a team taking a serious injury in the outfield, Manny's best option is to tuck his tail between his legs, and sign for the Dodgers at 17 or 18 million for 1 or 2 years. The other teams that were originally interested have passed on signing him at all, and LA obviously wants him back, and needs him back. If another team suffers a big injury, then they may be willing to toss the money he wants at him, and give him the years that he wants.

He's still capable of playing at a high level, so it's obviously his attitude, and his agent, that are holding him back. If he can swallow his pride and just sign the deal, he'll be an all-star, and give his team a chance to compete in a very weak division.

To me the only team that makes sense is the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Before you heard talk about the Giants. They dont have the money for him and i think they need to be looking down the road to locking up Lincecum and possibly Cain to long term deals. They have a great group of young talent coming soon. I bet they are kicking themselves big time for that god aweful Zito contract.

You also heard some talk about the Yankees. After the signings of Texeira, Sabathia, and Burnett there was still a slight chance they may pursue manny even though they werent saying that. But after this A-rod situation there is "no chance in hell" they will go after him. Manny creates a buzz by himself and the Yankees dont need anymore distractions than they already have.

The Mets were believed to be contenders as well and out of these teams outside the Dodgers i think they make the most sense. They have the resources if they really wanted to. They are moving into a new ballpark but with the economy that isnt going to be as big of a cash cow for them. They need to get yougner and adding Manny would not really solve that problem even though he might add some "guts and hititng when it matters" come September to this team.

In the end i think he will sign with the Dodgers probably once spring training games start.

My bet is probably a 1 year deal worth $18-20million with an option for the 2nd year if he meets certain incentives that could be picked up by either the team or him, but also with a provision for him to be able to veto the Dodgers picking the option up if he chooses to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back