• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Man of Steel

Without going crazy, I must say I enjoyed it. It wasn't a great film (not in the same league as Nolan's Batman films or The Avengers), but it's what I have wanted to see for a long, long time - Superman actually being super (destroying shit, people, etc). I didn't care for how rushed it felt (too much story going on), but I didn't go to the theater for that anyhow.

It's about damn time.

Share feelings, internet trolls.

I felt Man of Steel was to Superman movies what JJ Abrams 2009 Star Trek was to Star Trek films, it was a refreshing fun take, & breathed a whole new life into the franchise. While it certainly had it's flaws, I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Micheal Shannon just killed as Zod.

I still wish they had gone with someone other than Snyder, who I hate, but this was the least douchey job he has done. Cavill was good, even though he wasn't given a lot to convey.

I think this needed to be the anti-Superman Returns, and it was. That was all story, zero action. This was all action, almost no story (there was a story, just too much of a story to generate a real emotional reaction). I'm fine with that.

I'm sorry, man. After what he did to Watchmen, I just can't bring myself to watch another Zack Snyder film. I'll watch it on DVD if the sequel gets the kind of critical hype Batman Begins got before it came out.

I felt Man of Steel was to Superman movies what JJ Abrams 2009 Star Trek was to Star Trek films, it was a refreshing fun take, & breathed a whole new life into the franchise. While it certainly had it's flaws, I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Micheal Shannon just killed as Zod.

I said almost exactly this to my friend last night. While I didn't feel the first Star Trek film was really that great, it was certainly a very good movie that was exactly what the franchise needed, and I think that's what this was. Superman was modernized and more relatable than ever, and it was an enjoyable film, if not mind blowing.

I still wish they had gone with someone other than Snyder, who I hate, but this was the least douchey job he has done.

Yeah, while watching this movie I couldn't help but think, "I think Zack Snyder thinks he's a better director than he actually is." As good as the movie was, there were a lot of really weird sequences and shots that just weren't doing it for me.

I feel they blew their load with the action scenes. They were good no doubt, but where will they go with a sequel??

Yeah, while watching this movie I couldn't help but think, "I think Zack Snyder thinks he's a better director than he actually is." As good as the movie was, there were a lot of really weird sequences and shots that just weren't doing it for me.

Yeah, it's Brett Ratner syndrome. Michael Bay also falls into this category. Snyder heading up the entire Superman/Justice League empire frightens me.

I feel they blew their load with the action scenes. They were good no doubt, but where will they go with a sequel??

Yeah, but so did The Avengers. All of these films have blown their respective loads. No one cares, as long as heroes fight villains and shit blows up.

Yeah, but so did The Avengers. All of these films have blown their respective loads. No one cares, as long as heroes fight villains and shit blows up.

Thing about the Avengers is they built up to it in five other films. I know where you're coming from, but it's going to be harder to come up with a stand out action moment in a new Man Of Steel film because of what they've done in this one

Thing about the Avengers is they built up to it in five other films. I know where you're coming from, but it's going to be harder to come up with a stand out action moment in a new Man Of Steel film because of what they've done in this one

Well Man of Steel had five lackluster Superman movies prior.

I think that they'll go with Luthor and make it a little more cerebral. We had the shit-blowing-up and two gods going to war movie, now it's time for something slightly more low key.

I didn't think it was the best movie of the summer, but I loved watching Superman punch shit and buildings blow up. Thought the actor absolutely killed it as Superman. Can't wait for the sequel.

I think that they'll go with Luthor and make it a little more cerebral. We had the shit-blowing-up and two gods going to war movie, now it's time for something slightly more low key.

I didn't think it was the best movie of the summer, but I loved watching Superman punch shit and buildings blow up. Thought the actor absolutely killed it as Superman. Can't wait for the sequel.

I agree, totally.

I think Luthor is a great choice for the second, third, fourth, and so on films. He needs someone super next to him, though. Like Brainiac, or Darkseid, or whoever. Superman should have a knockdown, dragout fight in each film. I'm hoping Doomsday shows up at some point and we get a real fight. Ohh yeah.

Brainiac, Luthor and Metallo as a henchman in the next would be alright by me. Wonder if they would go Lexiac at some point.

I'll let you know what I think when I see it tomorrow. I know I've just made you as giddy as a toddler on Christmas Eve but do try to get some sleep.

Luther is the perfect choice for the next few films, they've already set it up by playing up the alien angle a lot. Luthor can come out in the next film & go after Supes, claiming he's a threat to the planet. They could also do the Presidential campaign thing with him too.

I also think they can do a Death & Rebirth of Superman, though I think they would have to split it into two films, the first film would end with him & Doomsday beating the shit out of each other & ultimately killing each other, then the second film would be the Rebirth & shit.

Luther is the perfect choice for the next few films, they've already set it up by playing up the alien angle a lot. Luthor can come out in the next film & go after Supes, claiming he's a threat to the planet. They could also do the Presidential campaign thing with him too.

I also think they can do a Death & Rebirth of Superman, though I think they would have to split it into two films, the first film would end with him & Doomsday beating the shit out of each other & ultimately killing each other, then the second film would be the Rebirth & shit.

Reckon they'd do the Reign Of THe Supermen angle??

I thought it was very average. All the action scenes reminded me of better films. And by better I mean stuff like Thor, not some five star classic. But there was enough there to suggest the sequel could be something special.

The best scenes were the brief moments involving Kevin Costner. Most of the worst involved Russell Crowe. Namely his terrible fight with Zod & that scene where he's showing Lois Lane exits. He definately outstayed his welcome.

I thought it was very average. All the action scenes reminded me of better films. And by better I mean stuff like Thor, not some five star classic. But there was enough there to suggest the sequel could be something special.

My thoughts as well. Then again, this is Superman, who should be a huge deal, and still is to some degree, so I was more excited to see him destroy shit than I was Thor.

This movie has a shit ton of Easter Eggs in it as well. It will need another viewing just to look for some more. Was that Ryan Reynolds on the motorcycle?

David Goyer needs to have his screenplay licence take away. Good lord, the dialogue in Man of Steel was awful. Goyer is a wonderful story teller, and he pieced together the Batman trilogy with perfection, but his talent falls apart when he enters the screenplay room. His weakness for dialogue just ruined this movie for me. 2+ hours of mini-monologues, with not a single conversation feeling fluid or natural. For a superhero all about humanity, nobody felt human. Everyone might as well been the same kryptonian baddie.

I also cringed at the scientific ambiguity of most of the scenes needing some sort of resolution. "Hm...maybe if we take this alien ship, and crash it into that alien ship...yeah, that should cause a mini black hole just big enough to get rid of all of our problems." Seems legit. Also, why the fuck would you put a command access point in the prison room holding Lois Lane? Better question, the fuck was she doing on the ship in the first place? "Excuse me miss, David Goyer *cough* General Zod demands your presence aboard the Enterprise to be used as a plot device *cough* to fuck you *cough* to probe you for information."

Pros of the movie: action scenes were amazing. The new Superman suit is kickass. Most of the important actors were awesome. Clark Kent actually looked ripped as hell, which is something I thought they failed with, with almost all the former Supermans. Lord knows Tom Welling isn't a genetic jackhammer. The intro scenes with Krypton were new and refreshing.

David Goyer needs to have his screenplay licence take away. Good lord, the dialogue in Man of Steel was awful. Goyer is a wonderful story teller, and he pieced together the Batman trilogy with perfection, but his talent falls apart when he enters the screenplay room. His weakness for dialogue just ruined this movie for me. 2+ hours of mini-monologues, with not a single conversation feeling fluid or natural. For a superhero all about humanity, nobody felt human. Everyone might as well been the same kryptonian baddie.

I also cringed at the scientific ambiguity of most of the scenes needing some sort of resolution. "Hm...maybe if we take this alien ship, and crash it into that alien ship...yeah, that should cause a mini black hole just big enough to get rid of all of our problems." Seems legit. Also, why the fuck would you put a command access point in the prison room holding Lois Lane? Better question, the fuck was she doing on the ship in the first place? "Excuse me miss, David Goyer *cough* General Zod demands your presence aboard the Enterprise to be used as a plot device *cough* to fuck you *cough* to probe you for information."

Pros of the movie: action scenes were amazing. The new Superman suit is kickass. Most of the important actors were awesome. Clark Kent actually looked ripped as hell, which is something I thought they failed with, with almost all the former Supermans. Lord knows Tom Welling isn't a genetic jackhammer. The intro scenes with Krypton were new and refreshing.

You make plenty of valid points here. There were several times during the movie where I found myself laughing and shrugging off some of the ridiculous plot points, and almost all of them involved Lois Lane. Taken to the enemy ship for no apparent reason, locked in a room that had the one thing that could potentially disable the ship, being brought onto a US Air Force bomber because there weren't going to be enough chicks on board... the whole thing was a little ridiculous.

But there was also an alien that looked human from a planet 50,000 lightyears away and because of radiation he is able to have incredible superpowers, as opposed to what the sun's radiation usually does, which is cause cancer. Comparatively, the other stuff seems tame.

Glad to see others (and by others, I mean everyone) saw what I saw. I probably shouldn't watch this again. If I do, the positives (Superman actually fighting someone, finally, after 35 years of being on the big screen) will be minimized in the wake of just how awful this may have been.

Needlessly dour and flat. Boring, repetitive score. Dreadful writing. Didn't buy Amy Adams as Lois for a second. I miss the fun of the 1970s. Cavill was good though. A shame he didn't get to do much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back